Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

desudrive posted:

You can now buy Mordor with Gandalf Funbucks.

Also, the expansions are now on sale as well as a bunch of other stuff!

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lotro-beacon-issue-36

:getin:

Helm's Deep $6, Moria $3, Mirkwood $1.50, hell yeah everybody come back to casual fun land

I hate to spend virtual bucks but I still have some left from winning the anniversary trivia and giveaway things, time to unlock High Elves and use my boost then leave it at level 105 for a year while I work on my main

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

So I definitely wanna grab those expansions while they're super cheap, but how does that LOTRO market site work? I don't see anywhere to login so it just asks for a ton of info up front, then the expansions also say digital download, is it gonna try and get me to download a second client off them (I'm playing it on steam) or do I get a key somewhere too or somethin? Probably dumb questions but eh, wanna make sure I'm getting junk right.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Captain Candiru posted:

Also, grabbed this from the official forums about how lazy they were with some of the emote animations after the update.

Finesse is also still not appearing on any Will items so now I'm rolling with might and agi items on my LM. Not sure if this is the intended path, but I can't see a way forward without equipping my LM this way.

Looking forward to the Dwarf updates.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
High Elf having a Man be their herald is funny. It'll look better once he gets some armour.

I kinda feel bad for the High Elf, though. Practically an invalid, barely recovered from a years-long coma, ready to be shipped home, yet some sense of duty keeps them here. Hells, Elrond's twins beg you to stay if at all possible.

I feel confused at the profession system. I've played before, but I don't remember this vocation stuff-you used to be able to freely pick. You can't have Weaponsmith, Metalwork, and Prospecting. You always have Prospecting, but Armsman takes Woodworking, yet Armourer takes Tailoring. I'll vaguely admit that making cloaks seems OK, and it looks like some Captain Stuff also requires it. Still...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lum_ posted:

southrons vs. gondor

Hasn't that been most of the content for the last few years?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

sassassin posted:

Hasn't that been most of the content for the last few years?

Yeah, but it's still better then Erebor: Like Moria But Not As Good

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lum_ posted:

Yeah, but it's still better then Erebor: Like Moria But Not As Good

Erebor isn't endless mines filled with even more endless orcs (and some turtles).

"Northern Mirkwood through Thranduil's Court, Dale, Laketown and Erebor" represents way more variety than anything since the Shadows of Angmar days.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

Yardbomb posted:

So I definitely wanna grab those expansions while they're super cheap, but how does that LOTRO market site work? I don't see anywhere to login so it just asks for a ton of info up front, then the expansions also say digital download, is it gonna try and get me to download a second client off them (I'm playing it on steam) or do I get a key somewhere too or somethin? Probably dumb questions but eh, wanna make sure I'm getting junk right.

If you haven't already picked it up, yes, it's a key and you apply it in-game.

Currently working my way through Helm's Deep and having more fun than RoR, though it's pretty similar - ride from town to town and help people. I also managed to get enough Gandalf Funbucks for Mordor by purchasing Helm's Deep, so that's something to look forward to.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Played this game on release and stopped right when Moria came out. Always logged in for a few days once a year just to have some fond memories and see the world. Suckered myself to buy all the expansion releases except Mordor. Want to give it a casual shot again. I have a 50 captain on Brandywine but I just loaded up another on Landroval. Still active?

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
Very active. I'm not sure if there's a goon kinship but there are plenty of people in world chat and questing even in the mid-range.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Captain Candiru posted:

Yeah, even my cat is a huge bag of meat now and can sit there and slowly chip away at things. I'm actually significantly more fragile than my pets now.

Also, grabbed this from the official forums about how lazy they were with some of the emote animations after the update.

Finesse is also still not appearing on any Will items so now I'm rolling with might and agi items on my LM. Not sure if this is the intended path, but I can't see a way forward without equipping my LM this way.

Getting a real sims 2 vibe on this one.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

desudrive posted:

If you haven't already picked it up, yes, it's a key and you apply it in-game.

Currently working my way through Helm's Deep and having more fun than RoR, though it's pretty similar - ride from town to town and help people. I also managed to get enough Gandalf Funbucks for Mordor by purchasing Helm's Deep, so that's something to look forward to.

Yeah I ended up grabbing those big discounted 5, I couldn't resist the call of greatly discounted expansions and I figured out the reason for all the stuff is because it's going through Digital River and not Turbine or any of them, so you're just making like a burner account. Either way everything worked out, plus when I went to make another character I noticed I also had Rune-Keeper and Warden, not realizing those had come from an expansion, so now I gotta try them out sometime too! :buddy:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

desudrive posted:

Very active. I'm not sure if there's a goon kinship but there are plenty of people in world chat and questing even in the mid-range.

There's usually someone on Nazgun (I'm on most nights and usually 2-3 others) but we're mostly antisocial.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I logged in and the game rudely informed me that the Fall Festival is here. Again. The devs can eat my Shire-balls if they think that I haven't done enough Haunted Burrow runs this year.

Also, there's a new freebie in the LOTRO store. UNIVPACK1 gets you some Universal Ingredient Packs.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 30, 2017

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I've read many times that Wardens are hardcore but now I believe it:

https://twitter.com/BMCarbaugh/status/939941644782264321

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Thinking of futzing with the game again but was wondering; because I read the OP, I saw that Beorning can be traited into being a tank. Are they good tanks? Or just kind of whatever tanks? Because otherwise, I was going to just jump into Warden because I've always wanted to be a Warden but could never break free from LM.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ArchWizard posted:

I've read many times that Wardens are hardcore but now I believe it:

https://twitter.com/BMCarbaugh/status/939941644782264321

This owns, thanks

dreffen posted:

Thinking of futzing with the game again but was wondering; because I read the OP, I saw that Beorning can be traited into being a tank. Are they good tanks? Or just kind of whatever tanks? Because otherwise, I was going to just jump into Warden because I've always wanted to be a Warden but could never break free from LM.

They're probably the most expensive class to force into a main tank position, so no unless you love a challenge and have 14,000 gold they're mostly just healers with a load of morale. Warden is great, guardian is still the go to, but most would not consider beorning a sane option. I think I linked the threads where beornings were proving they could main tank the previous raid on T2 difficulty is why it was in this thread for a while.

We'd love anyone who wants to tank though, I've been playing very casually but the last time I checked something like 7/7 of our level 115s are paper-made light armor wearers so far.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 15, 2017

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Finally coming back again to this game, but this time I brought friends with me and we're all hopping on Landroval with new toons. We decided to start fresh. Looking forward to it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

extra stout posted:

This owns, thanks

The runemasters got in on it after the fact.

I've been distracted with FF14 but I may come back soon, after holiday trips. I was never 115, and I can't tank, but at least I'm not paper?

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 15, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Prism posted:

I've been distracted with FF14 but I may come back soon, after holiday trips. I was never 115, and I can't tank, but at least I'm not paper?

Uninstall FF14 thanks, the returning but updated YULE FESTIVAL awaits you in like- edit, Yule is live now. There's a new elk mount instead of just elk antlers mounted to a horse this time!

https://www.lotro.com/en/yulefestival

Alter Ego posted:

Finally coming back again to this game, but this time I brought friends with me and we're all hopping on Landroval with new toons. We decided to start fresh. Looking forward to it.

Welcome back, are you all in the kin or do you need invites? If so post names, I'm just returning from a break myself but will mail you turds gold to buy houses and send you warm greetings

extra stout fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 15, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

extra stout posted:

Uninstall FF14 thanks, the returning but updated YULE FESTIVAL awaits you in like two days, filthy casual:

It's more that I don't own a laptop, just a tablet, so I'm not playing anything while I'm travelling. Though I'm not leaving for a few days so I'll at least get Yule sales...

Is the Nazgun still the current kinship? That's the one I'm in.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Every time I read this thread I am tempted to reinstall but I'm admittedly worried that the time to level is still awful and that the few goons still around are the only people playing the game. I miss Warden and Captain.

e; Can Captain still kinda tank?

Bombogenesis fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 16, 2017

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My account has Rise of Isengard, do I need to just buy the Mordor expansion to get caught up?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

I said come in! posted:

My account has Rise of Isengard, do I need to just buy the Mordor expansion to get caught up?

No, there're 2 Rohan expansions (ehhh in quality) and a bunch of Gondor quest packs (generally really good) in between.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jalapeno_dude posted:

No, there're 2 Rohan expansions (ehhh in quality) and a bunch of Gondor quest packs (generally really good) in between.

Do I have to buy those as well is what I meant. Mordor gives you a level boost so you can access that content right away.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
I'm wondering the same thing. I apparently have up to Isengard. If I want to do high elf is there anything else I need other than Mordor and the elf?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Traditionally with MMOs the latest expansion gives you all previous content too. This game is super expensive if you have to buy each piece of content separate.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
If you try to buy all the content up front in one go, it's an insane price.

However, LOTRO has no sub fee. It's completely reasonable to play this without subbing. I've never subbed after that initial month to get some VIP 1-time perks.

If you want to level up naturally, the price isn't that bad. You'll just buy content packs as you're ready for it, along with waiting for lotro bucks and other sales/discounts as you go along. It's a reasonable expenditure.

Or, like you said - buy the latest expansion, which immediately boosts you to it. If you want to go back and play the content, buy it as you play it. Again, there's no sub fee. That's the trade off.

Us MMO nerds tend to incorrectly view this game, thinking we have to "have it all" immediately. Note that if you sub, many of the content packs are included. Only expansions aren't.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Do I have to buy those as well is what I meant. Mordor gives you a level boost so you can access that content right away.

Bombogenesis posted:

I'm wondering the same thing. I apparently have up to Isengard. If I want to do high elf is there anything else I need other than Mordor and the elf?

Woah, slow down. This isn't WoW where people skip entire expansions so they can jump into the "real game" of end game raiding. This game is about the journey. "End game" in LotRO is usually a bit of a letdown by comparison. Since my main has been parked at Pellenor Field for the last year or so, other goons can confirm/deny just how good current end game actually is, though.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
That's nice but it doesn't answer the question. I'm the type of person that plays like four characters at once so I'll still be running through Bree for the eight time and begging for the sweet release of death when I hit the North Downs. I'd like a reasonable shot at actually seeing Mordor though because leveling in this game was pretty slow from what I remember.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Bombogenesis posted:

That's nice but it doesn't answer the question. I'm the type of person that plays like four characters at once so I'll still be running through Bree for the eight time and begging for the sweet release of death when I hit the North Downs. I'd like a reasonable shot at actually seeing Mordor though because leveling in this game was pretty slow from what I remember.

I'm not sure how to answer a question like "if I wanna do high elf" but you can unlock high elves for 1000 lotro points in the store or it comes with the overpriced deluxe version of Mordor, as far as if high elves can totally skip the Helm's Deep expansion pack and also the book quests: If you hate JRR Tolkien's The Lord of The Rings sure

Helm's Deep has a pretty good questline and if you've read the books or seen the films you know some cool poo poo happened

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Rohan expansions are garbage and well worth skipping when at all possible.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

extra stout posted:

This owns, thanks

They're probably the most expensive class to force into a main tank position, so no unless you love a challenge and have 14,000 gold they're mostly just healers with a load of morale. Warden is great, guardian is still the go to, but most would not consider beorning a sane option. I think I linked the threads where beornings were proving they could main tank the previous raid on T2 difficulty is why it was in this thread for a while.

We'd love anyone who wants to tank though, I've been playing very casually but the last time I checked something like 7/7 of our level 115s are paper-made light armor wearers so far.

Beorning still sounds like a super cool healer I'd like to try sometime that's all good to know! Gonna try and rejoin the kin when I roll up later tonight.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 18, 2017

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

extra stout posted:

Uninstall FF14 thanks, the returning but updated YULE FESTIVAL awaits you in like- edit, Yule is live now. There's a new elk mount instead of just elk antlers mounted to a horse this time!

Welcome back, are you all in the kin or do you need invites? If so post names, I'm just returning from a break myself but will mail you turds gold to buy houses and send you warm greetings

No, actually, this time we've got our own kinship! With blackjack! And hookers! Thanks for the offer though.

We've even got a kinhouse--turned out that a couple people had kept the place up and decorated.

I desperately want to log in and start leveling again because I miss the epic quest, but I have to keep the character I created within the same level range as my friends and they're all busy doing the Yule Festival :(. I quit the Festival after getting the elk and the horse with antlers.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 18, 2017

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

What kind of chance is there that there is a sale on the expansions for Christmas?

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
Sadly, you just missed the sale on expansions a few weeks ago. They might do it again though, who knows?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Bummer. Well I figured I'd buy the quad pack but the other xpacs seems like worth a sale unless I get through real fast.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I decided to reinstall and it turns out my little level 51 Warden is still just chilling in Moria! it's crazy that I still remember the sorta go-to gambit rotation for just pissing around with quests. i'd love to see the new content but it's gonna take a loooonnnnngggg time.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Christ they just dump xp on you now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

dreffen posted:

Christ they just dump xp on you now.

for the lower levels maybe. Getting through the last two expansions probably isnt very fast though, is it?