Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Pixel 2XL battery and camera report.

Have had it off the charger for 2 Days 6 Hours, and with 2 hours of screen on time, still has 39% battery left.

Also the camera is good. Picked up this little pellet fire pit at Meeks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qCwyTASYLlsiaB5W2

Is there a way to embed Google Photos pics here and keep the motion working?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Pixel 2XL battery and camera report.

Have had it off the charger for 2 Days 6 Hours, and with 2 hours of screen on time, still has 39% battery left.

Also the camera is good. Picked up this little pellet fire pit at Meeks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qCwyTASYLlsiaB5W2

Is there a way to embed Google Photos pics here and keep the motion working?

Your photo has poor composition. What a bad camera.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know how to turn off the new Google Maps "floating map" that automatically comes up when I return to the launcher or an alternate app? It's useless to me and gets in the way.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Don Lapre posted:

Google Home minis are $29 on google express from walmart right now and you get a $25 credit to walmart orders on google express for each one you buy (max 2)

There are $10 off your first order of $40 or more that can also be used and there is an amex offer for $20 off $50 which can be stacked (you should hit $50 after tax, if not add a filler)

Already out of stock :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

For those that Pre-Ordered a P2 and got the Home Mini offer, how long was it from getting the phone till your offer arrived to order the Free Mini?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

EdEddnEddy posted:

For those that Pre-Ordered a P2 and got the Home Mini offer, how long was it from getting the phone till your offer arrived to order the Free Mini?

It was a while, they said "within 4 weeks" after shipping the pixel and it was right around that mark.

E: Pixel shipped October 17, Mini was 11/7. So more like 3.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

EdEddnEddy posted:

My Pixel 2 arrived on Oct 24, and the Mini offer came on Nov 20. So about 4 weeks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

What a bad camera.

Uhhhhh the Pixel 2 camera is objectively amazing, one of if not the best smartphone cameras.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Mnemosyne posted:

Target has them for $29 + $10 giftcard. Looks like you have to buy in store though.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My battery on my Nexus 6P is atrocious and the phone is getting really sluggish. I don't feel like I should need to upgrade a two year old phone but I don't think I can wait until a Pixel 3. Do new Galaxy phones come out in the Spring?

But maybe I should take a look at the deals. Is there a Pixel 2XL deal that's unlocked or for AT&T? Does Google do BF deals? I guess an S8+ would do as well. Any other deals?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any UK goons looking for Black Friday deals on the Pixels should check out Carphone Warehouse.

I ordered (instore) a Pixel 2 Kinda Blue which will be here on Monday. The deal I got is £40 upfront (the dude in the shop knocked £20 off the online), two year contract, unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, 12GB data, for £37 per month with O2.

Gonna trade in my Pixel 1 32GB Really Blue when I collect, getting £200 for it.

I've had a quick jook at some other Black Friday deals on CPW, Vodafone and Orange - they've all got some sweet deals going on (though Pixel is CPW, EE or Google Store only), so now is a great time to go fishing for a phone.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

spincube posted:

[e] like why is there a 'never ask again' tick-box in the first place? any app that's continually farting questions like that which would justify excuse a 'yeah yeah whatever just go away and shut up already' option shouldn't be allowed on the app store

"Never Ask Again" in Android Permission Dialogs does not mean "Stop asking me for permission, just do it."

"Never ask again" means, "Shut up, I said 'NO!', and that 'NO!' is until I hunt down the Permissions in my settings to tell you differently."

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uhhhhh the Pixel 2 camera is objectively amazing, one of if not the best smartphone cameras.

You missed the joke.

A camera can't fix the composition of the photo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

You missed the joke.

A camera can't fix the composition of the photo.

Sigh. I'm tired. Sorry.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sigh. I'm tired. Sorry.

The blue tint on your phone is keeping you awake son.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

lol drat

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

loving owned

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lol, night light is probably completely unusable on many/most P2XLs

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Lol, night light is probably completely unusable on many/most P2XLs

It works just fine? It's hard to take a picture of but it's exactly the same as my Pixel XL.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CLAM DOWN posted:

It works just fine? It's hard to take a picture of but it's exactly the same as my Pixel XL.

That's because of the screen lottery, solid chance you won or at least did not lose money on the screen lottery, or at least your employer rather than you iirc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

That's because of the screen lottery, solid chance you won or at least did not lose money on the screen lottery, or at least your employer rather than you iirc.

Nah this 2XL I bought myself, the Note 8 and S8 were employer :smug:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone know how to turn off the new Google Maps "floating map" that automatically comes up when I return to the launcher or an alternate app? It's useless to me and gets in the way.

That'd be nice. I see how it could be useful, but it makes my Nexus 5x unusable, thus negating the point of minimizing Maps in the first place.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mnemosyne posted:

No it isn't, I just got one. You have to actually search for it for it to come up though.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Zero VGS posted:

Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Advanced -> Special App Access -> Picture-in-Picture -> Maps

Untoggle "Allow Picture-in-Picture."

https://www.howtogeek.com/324401/how-to-use-or-disable-picture-in-picture-mode-in-android-oreo/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Grabbed a Moto G5 Plus 64gig for $220 at BHPhoto. Time to finally put my Nexus 6 to rest. It was a great phone, but I'm never buying a phablet again.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Grabbed a Moto G5 Plus 64gig for $220 at BHPhoto. Time to finally put my Nexus 6 to rest. It was a great phone, but I'm never buying a phablet again.

If ads, or tax, or requiring Amazon Prime don't kill it for you, it's currently $180 from Amazon as a Black Friday deal.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I have to pay 10% tax on amazon purchases and hate ads. I bought the ad version for my dad and the trick to get rid of ads doesn't work anymore.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

LastInLine posted:

No it isn't, I just got one. You have to actually search for it for it to come up though.

It was previously. I kept the window open all afternoon and refreshed it every hour or so, in case of a restock. They did restock a few hours ago.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Anybody know how to turn off the haptic feedback on the fingerprint reader in Android generally or the Pixel XL 2 in specific?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

clamiam45 posted:

Anybody know how to turn off the haptic feedback on the fingerprint reader in Android generally or the Pixel XL 2 in specific?
Can't be done, sorry.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

maltesh posted:

Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Advanced -> Special App Access -> Picture-in-Picture -> Maps

Untoggle "Allow Picture-in-Picture."

https://www.howtogeek.com/324401/how-to-use-or-disable-picture-in-picture-mode-in-android-oreo/

Wow thanks, they certainly buried that one. I was digging around in the settings for Google Maps, what a fool I was.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

clamiam45 posted:

Not doing the thing where people in a tech thread refuse to understand that someone could possibly have a use case or preference other than their own, it's cool if you just don't like it, but... why? You just don't like it?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Not doing the thing where people in a tech thread refuse to understand that someone could possibly have a use case or preference other than their own, it's cool if you just don't like it, but... why? You just don't like it?

The vibration on the fingerprint reader is actually the one good use of haptic feedback. You know instantly if the phone is unlocked or if you need to try again without looking at the screen.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I think it's annoying.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

nimper posted:

The vibration on the fingerprint reader is actually the one good use of haptic feedback. You know instantly if the phone is unlocked or if you need to try again without looking at the screen.

You are holding the phone in your hand screen to your face with your finger behind it with the intent of looking at the phone considering you are unlocking it come on

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blue Train posted:

You are holding the phone in your hand screen to your face with your finger behind it with the intent of looking at the phone considering you are unlocking it come on

Yeah but the act of the screen waking up and turning on is slower than the time of the actual fingerprint read, the feedback is important. In extreme cases it can even take 2-3 seconds for the screen to turn on if it's waking up into an intensive app (yes, even on a pixel), while the haptic feedback always triggers the moment your fingerprint is recognized.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Excuse me buzzing and vibrating is objectively bad design because it sucks. There is no need to debate this.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Blue Train posted:

Are you mansplaining how phones get unlocked?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

nimper posted:

Are you mansplaining how phones get unlocked?

*manspreads to unlock phone*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

clamiam45 posted:

Excuse me buzzing and vibrating is objectively bad design because it sucks. There is no need to debate this.