Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Samizdata posted:

We never went to visit. But I have been through Idaho for short bits on road trips.

That was probably Utah.

Sorry about your dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Say Nothing posted:

Bank robbery fail.

9/10 for sticking to the plan

2/10 for thinking on their feet

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Samizdata posted:

Uncool, dude. He died of cancer less than a month ago. Plus I saw his birth certificate.

We never went to visit. But I have been through Idaho for short bits on road trips.

Hello, internet poster who tilts at painfully facetious windmills.

p.s. sorry about your dad, that sucks.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

That was probably Utah.

Sorry about your dad.

Nope. Been there too. Meh.

Thanks.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Handiklap posted:

Hello, internet poster who tilts at painfully facetious windmills.

p.s. sorry about your dad, that sucks.

:rolleyes: I like to have fun too.

And thanks for the good wishes.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Basebf555 posted:

Yea Weinstein has been rich since at least the early-80's, probably earlier than that. I can't imagine that money does it for the guy after all this time, a $60 million deal is not going to change the fact that he has no juice anymore and nobody wants to be around him. Before he started Miramax he was a rock concert promoter/producer. He just likes being the guy who decides how things are gonna go, to and to exercise that power over people. To have that taken away after 30+ years has to be a huge blow.

Ice cold.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

No idea, I only found out after the fact due to someone bringing it up in reference to some horrible libertarian furry rpg.

It was one of those times were people were touching the poop and some sad sacks made SA accounts to give us a little more info.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ExecuDork posted:

It's on all of us, watching that entire thing through to the end, leaning closer and closer to our monitors every time he wobbles, or looks like he's going to pass too close to some obstacle, or loving every goddam second of his ride. The shadenfreude is on all us ghouls hoping some stranger falls and breaks some bones, and getting ghoul-blue-balls out of it.

Dammit, now I want a proper nutshots video or something.

Hungry? Here's some meat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoRHHGTQZZk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O6hf0TgcYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiKa_55ouRI

Edit: here's a compilation video. Somewhat :nms: if you don't like the sight of blood or limbs bending the wrong way (and the guy at 2:15 probably got hit by a car but it happens offscreen) but the nut shot at 1:58 is :discourse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_vWO4Eo1pA

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 06:20 on Nov 24, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Takoluka posted:

Konami wasn't the only JP company to do this. They just happened to spotlight themselves by letting popular franchises vanish and being horrible to their employees.

Konami wasn't the only company to go all-in on pachinko just before regulations dropped that heavily crippled pachinko and let people just gamble normally instead?

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

You misspelled Wyoming, they said it on television so it must be true.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Konami wasn't the only company to go all-in on pachinko just before regulations dropped that heavily crippled pachinko and let people just gamble normally instead?

That was some good schad.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

That was some good schad.

That day the snow turned to rain

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/bDwgGE4.mp4

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Remember Oscar Pistorius? The South African Paralympic athlete who killed his girlfriend? He appealed his prison sentence.

quote:

A South African court has increased Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius's jail sentence for killing his girlfriend to 13 years and five months.

Prosecutors had argued that the six-year term for murdering Reeva Steenkamp was "shockingly light".
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-42107701

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mierenneuker posted:

Remember Oscar Pistorius? The South African Paralympic athlete who killed his girlfriend? He appealed his prison sentence.

Yeeees.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mierenneuker posted:

Wait, the prosecution can appeal a guilty verdict because the sentence was too light?

That sounds weird as gently caress to my American ears. :randstare:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

i guess its a two way street there

i'm glad i ran my tainted dairy operation stateside

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

For some reason this reminds me of my favorite conspiracy theory. I'm pretty sure it was here (though may have been 4chan).

Finland does not exist. No one has ever been to Finland - you have been to parts of Sweden or Norway or Russia pretending to be Finland. Finland is actually part of the ocean and is owned by Japanese whaling interests. The whalers pay large amounts of money to the RAND corp, and other providers of atlas/satellite imagery to edit Finland into the maps, however, Finland as we thought we knew it is a hoax. Since whaling is controversial, the Japanese, not unknown for sneak attacks, took over this area of ocean for their whaling interests exclusively many many years ago and have fought to the death to keep it ever since.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What’s their for Finnish expats in other countries?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

Actors who never break character.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there's a subreddit for that finland conspiracy theory tho

kinda like how me_irl mod was a longtime mefi member

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Don Gato posted:

Actors who never break character.

Why are so many of the actors so good at racing cars?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EmmyOk posted:

Norwegians who are too embarrassed to admit where they actually come from

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Randaconda posted:

Wait, the prosecution can appeal a guilty verdict because the sentence was too light?

American prosecutors can do the same thing

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

du -hast posted:

For some reason this reminds me of my favorite conspiracy theory. I'm pretty sure it was here (though may have been 4chan).

Finland does not exist. No one has ever been to Finland - you have been to parts of Sweden or Norway or Russia pretending to be Finland. Finland is actually part of the ocean and is owned by Japanese whaling interests. The whalers pay large amounts of money to the RAND corp, and other providers of atlas/satellite imagery to edit Finland into the maps, however, Finland as we thought we knew it is a hoax. Since whaling is controversial, the Japanese, not unknown for sneak attacks, took over this area of ocean for their whaling interests exclusively many many years ago and have fought to the death to keep it ever since.

It's true that most records of Finland were destroyed during the Christian Dark Ages after Finland collapsed after the Finno-Korean Hyper-War.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Randaconda posted:

It's an important part of the judicial system, since it corrects for bias in sentencing. The defense can likewise appeal for a lesser sentence, too, if the one handed down seems too harsh.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

That was probably Utah.

Sorry about your dad.

Wait, Utah is real?

Mierenneuker posted:

Lol, but also woah. I’m glad that shitbag is getting more time, but creeped out by having a charge upgraded three years post-conviction.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Why?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

because we all know drat well how it would go in america, with black people getting their sentences constantly extended for farcical reasons. and given south africa's history, I'm a bit skeptical of this practice's true purpose

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you read the timeline on the article, he was originally convicted of culpable homicide. The conviction was then elevated to a higher court, upgraded to murder, and now finds itself at this point. It was upgraded to the MINIMUM sentence for homicide, minus time served.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there's a subreddit for that finland conspiracy theory tho

kinda like how me_irl mod was a longtime mefi member

awwww man i thought it was like a super-secret-unknown-thing, that i read here on SA years ago by some schizoid goon. oh well :saddowns:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

Why are so many of the actors so good at racing cars?

They need to move a lot to cover as much area as possible with plausible Finn sightings.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gum posted:

Are you sure? I've never heard of the prosecution filing an appeal to ask for a heavier sentence.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aerdan posted:

It's an important part of the judicial system, since it corrects for bias in sentencing. The defense can likewise appeal for a lesser sentence, too, if the one handed down seems too harsh.

Yeah, the defense can do that here, as well, just never heard of the prosecution doing it.

oooh, wait, found a quote.

"Yes, the sentence can be appealed but not because the judge gave you a lighter sentence. There has to be some legal basis, such as the sentence is illegal because the judge didn't follow a specific statute. Accordingly, it is rare for the prosecution to file an appeal. It is very rare for the appellate court to resentence a defendant. It is likely that if the appellate court agrees with the prosecution then the appellate court will send the case back to the judge with instructions to consider the statutes he missed. If the trial judge errors again, then I've seen the appellate court resentence the defendant."

So basically the judge has to make an error in sentencing, not just because the State thinks the sentence is too light.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, the defense can do that here, as well, just never heard of the prosecution doing it.

oooh, wait, found a quote.

"Yes, the sentence can be appealed but not because the judge gave you a lighter sentence. There has to be some legal basis, such as the sentence is illegal because the judge didn't follow a specific statute. Accordingly, it is rare for the prosecution to file an appeal. It is very rare for the appellate court to resentence a defendant. It is likely that if the appellate court agrees with the prosecution then the appellate court will send the case back to the judge with instructions to consider the statutes he missed. If the trial judge errors again, then I've seen the appellate court resentence the defendant."

So basically the judge has to make an error in sentencing, not just because the State thinks the sentence is too light.

AFAIK that's true in any jurisdiction where a prosecutor can appeal a sentence

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Gum posted:

No, they can't. The state can't appeal just because a sentence was too light. There has to be some legal dispute at issue. Like, a prosecutor could appeal a sentence if there's something like a mandatory minimum which the sentencing judge ignored. Prosecutors can't appeal a sentence just because they think it was too light.

Randaconda posted:

Are you sure? I've never heard of the prosecution filing an appeal to ask for a heavier sentence.

Example:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/04/us/montana-teacher-rape/index.html

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Phanatic posted:

No, they can't. The state can't appeal just because a sentence was too light. There has to be some legal dispute at issue. Like, a prosecutor could appeal a sentence if there's something like a mandatory minimum which the sentencing judge ignored.

Isn't this exactly what happened here?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Gum posted:

Isn't this exactly what happened here?

They were talking about US law. The case that started this derail is South African.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Aerdan posted:

They were talking about US law. The case that started this derail is South African.

That's my point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mierenneuker posted:

Too bad she didn't live, but then again who does?