Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

How do you grow fungus? Only seen it pop up once randomly and haven’t tried to cultivate yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ventilation in general I think would be a nice thing for underground bases to model. Not so applicable to exterior buildings obviously but mountain bunkers should definitely need to consider air quality and be at far greater risk from smoke in the event of a fire.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Dusty Lens posted:

A setup like this usually carries me pretty far through the early game and, generally, keeps me from worrying too much about grabbing turrets at all. This is from a pretty early game tribal situation so the fighting pit is fairly compressed to compensate for ranges. In case anything gets through the running man hell path.

You need a straight side tunnel that lets out your kill team so you can catch all the fleeing raiders, waste not want not :black101:

I do something much like that but I don't bother to build the sandbags for cover, I like having a bunch of heavy melee dudes rush up and mash guys as they come through the choke point.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That Works posted:

How do you grow fungus? Only seen it pop up once randomly and haven’t tried to cultivate yet.

There are at least three mods that add this (Fertile Fields is about the least generous/least broken).

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Flesh Forge posted:

You need a straight side tunnel that lets out your kill team so you can catch all the fleeing raiders, waste not want not :black101:

I do something much like that but I don't bother to build the sandbags for cover, I like having a bunch of heavy melee dudes rush up and mash guys as they come through the choke point.

I have a bunch of bamboo traps around the corner along their predictable path. It's nice to be able to grab a prisoner now and then and steel tends to be pretty fatal.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Dusty Lens posted:

A setup like this usually carries me pretty far through the early game and, generally, keeps me from worrying too much about grabbing turrets at all. This is from a pretty early game tribal situation so the fighting pit is fairly compressed to compensate for ranges. In case anything gets through the running man hell path.

Yeah my Boreal map is basically just churning out an absurd amount of fungus year round without any need for electricity. Plus it makes for a nice lighting solution.

Are those all steel? That's a lot of steel. I usually use stone traps but get a lot of leakers even with hallways twice that long.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Steel and even stone traps are way too fatal, wood traps are best even if they let more bad guys through. The other types rarely leave any downed raiders.

Re: Medieval Times' coal, yeah, Vindar increased the amount of coal returned over time a huge amount since I last looked at it (more than double, it looks like) and I can see how that is a bit OP. It still wouldn't stop me from transitioning to electricity eventually but I see your point.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

How do you deal with the fact that raiders seem to learn pretty quick where your death corridor is and avoid it at all cost?

I had just a simple hallway of like 8 checkerboard traps and raiders gave up going that way after like two attempts. They'd rather spend hours bashing through my doors or the walls no matter how thick they are. Even the raids that aren't theoretically sappers.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You can reconstruct them (or just move them if you use a Minify Everything type mod).

A little more perspective on Medieval Times: hearths produce WAYYYYYYYYY less heat than the vanilla heater. I've set up little building quads like this and a single electric heater handles all 4 rooms fine, not so in this case. It's -13 outside.

e: heck it can't even heat the 4x7 room in the upper left to 21C

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 24, 2017

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Eiba posted:

How do you deal with the fact that raiders seem to learn pretty quick where your death corridor is and avoid it at all cost?

I had just a simple hallway of like 8 checkerboard traps and raiders gave up going that way after like two attempts. They'd rather spend hours bashing through my doors or the walls no matter how thick they are. Even the raids that aren't theoretically sappers.

In most cases you'll want to use walls that are 2 thick. As you've noticed raiders love to stop mid run to start wailing on walls to break through rather than run the gauntlet, but probability usually holds that raiders will knock out the first layer but wont also hit the internal layer before resuming their nominal path. Usually.

In terms of raider avoidance. I generally throw the bulk of my resources at building one really solid path, such as the one you observed, in order to have as much potency as possible that leads to my front door. Raiders and such are scary, but I really want something to deal with mechanoids and other really difficult encounters for tribes.

For raiders that either sap or work to avoid predictable pathfindings I try to look at my map to see where I think they'll come from and assume it'll be the most infuriating direction possible and throw up a bunch of defensive positions.

Sorry for the garbage tier quality, wanted to bang something out really fast. This base is kind of enclosed but there's a lot of places where raiders could grenade their way in fairly easily, two caverns to the north, the building to the north east and a tunnel potential to the south east. At each of those spots where I figure they might make a push I've put up a XOXOX of granite blocks with sandbags to serve as a firing line for my dudes to shoot down persons pushing through a breach. In addition to filling the caves with a lot of low tier traps made of bamboo and wood. After that all I can really hope to do is have one final emplacement at my front door for drop troops and just count down the days until the game decides it's time for me to lose this colony to a massive infestation.

e; I hope none of that sounded patronizing. It helps me to organize my thoughts if I sort of think out loud and work with basic principles.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 24, 2017

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

e; I hope none of that sounded patronizing. It helps me to organize my thoughts if I sort of think out loud and work with basic principles.
Nope, that was pretty helpful.

Random firing lines in your fields like you have always seemed to me like a reasonable solution to the issue of attacks coming from anywhere, and I've had setups vaguely like that before. I had thought maybe you had a way to funnel everyone in since you put so much effort into your main death hallway. It makes sense as mechanoid defense, with the regular bullshit behind for sappers and the like.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Better than me, I somehow had my folks get malaria in a god drat arboreal forest when it was -2 outside. A17 though but still.

I just had 7/8 colonists get malaria in an arboreal forest at the same time, while getting raided 12 hours later.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Just started a medieval times mod cult of cthulhu in a jungle with tiberium crystals raining down from the sky. Will report back with the body count that racks up from disease before I manage to get penoxy supply stable and mandatory.

Assuming I live past the first wildfire because holy God I think the entire world will be bathed in fire with the first dry thunderstorm event. There is so, so much vegetation.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
I finally got the loving dropship mod to work on 17 and then I updated to 18. The guy who does the mod wont be updating it for a while neither. Is there some other dropship esque mod for 18?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

You can reconstruct them (or just move them if you use a Minify Everything type mod).

A little more perspective on Medieval Times: hearths produce WAYYYYYYYYY less heat than the vanilla heater. I've set up little building quads like this and a single electric heater handles all 4 rooms fine, not so in this case. It's -13 outside.

e: heck it can't even heat the 4x7 room in the upper left to 21C

Were vanilla heaters modified in B18 because I'm pretty sure hearths were far better in A17.

Their one downside is that they have a fairly sharp maximum temperature which means their heat doesn't propagate well between rooms, because for that you want a temperature differential. If you put more vents in you might see better results. I tend to use them in very large corridors which they heat up admirably and which can feed a huge number of rooms.

Put the door and the vent into the room with the hearth and it will probably work better.

Also I'd probably still use them because you can build them out of literal piles of rocks and stuff other rocks into them to make them go, you can build as many of them as you like really. They also double as cooking, joy, light and beauty objects which is another good reason to build a bunch of them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 24, 2017

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
gently caress me he released build 18 while I'm just getting into destiny 2... I don't have time for both! Daaaamn you cruel world!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Slumpy posted:

I finally got the loving dropship mod to work on 17 and then I updated to 18. The guy who does the mod wont be updating it for a while neither. Is there some other dropship esque mod for 18?

There’s one that does “hovercrafts” that function similarly but the graphics are basically just the drop pods but larger and brown. I haven’t got to the part of using them yet though, so I don’t know if it’s actually a good mod.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

GOING SOMEWHERE?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

What caused the mass death where Harvey’s at?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I thjink the implication is that Harvery did.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Some wooden deadfall traps to soften them up a little bit and then several mace hits to the face and dick

e: ironically, Harvey is a noncombatant

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Flesh Forge posted:

Some wooden deadfall traps to soften them up a little bit and then several mace hits to the face and dick

e: ironically, Harvey is a noncombatant

I don't think that means what you think it means

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ah, base is north, cruel outside is south - so raiders game through traps, ran into melee and rifle group, then when running back out the defenders took the autodoors and waited at the end of the hall.

Nice

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

See isn't this better than 50 dumb turrets

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What are the little spikes near the Southern exit? They look like caltrops?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They are caltrops, from Medieval Times. They basically slow down stuff that steps on them, although it didn't work for me that time, they all stepped around them :argh: If you don't leave a path around them then they're awesome for slowing people down, including your own units when you want to clean out the trap area.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

They are caltrops, from Medieval Times. They basically slow down stuff that steps on them, although it didn't work for me that time, they all stepped around them :argh: If you don't leave a path around them then they're awesome for slowing people down, including your own units when you want to clean out the trap area.

I find them mostly useful for placing on the far side of cover. So put them on the outside of your doorways or in front of sandbags. Stops the enemy being able to use the cover against you. Also you can move them and build them quickly which makes them good for if a horde of deep ones is about to break into your base, put a gunline behind them in a corridor.

The wooden barricades also work but they actually provide cover themselves, being quite large, caltrops don't.

You can also make a tower defence style maze of them which again is handy cos they don't block LOS or provide any cover. They're functionally just a non terrain modifying moat made of steel.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 25, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yep, I actually leave most of MT's defense constructions out because I field gobs of melee. There's three with assault rifles in that example and tbh they did more damage to my own units than the enemy did. Also wow, Wimp is a really bad trait.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

YOU SHALL NOT HAVE MY TREES :black101:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

I'm engaged in a no electricity tribal run atm but I was awarded a vanomatric power cell to which I've been hooking up stolen lights and a TV.

I'm pleased with my group of knuckle draggers running around with salvaged assault rifles watching Frasier reruns on the magic box.

e; Hey I just saw my first trauma savant. It was on a corpse, but it does happen apparently.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 26, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Simple Sidearms seems to be up for B18, on the Ludeon forums:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=32497.0

On Steam (it doesn't say explicitly it's for B18 but the mod author says it is in the Ludeon thread)

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=32497.0

blood and beer for clangeddin

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dammit game :argh:

Rad as hell if I weren't in a not-quite-subsistent ice sheet colony :argh:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
If the game had the courtesy to pause for you whenever a cargo pod event happened then dying to them could be completely avoidable as you have enough time to draft the colonist and move out from under the fire. Same goes for poison ship and meteor landing.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

ShadowHawk posted:

If the game had the courtesy to pause for you whenever a cargo pod event happened then dying to them could be completely avoidable as you have enough time to draft the colonist and move out from under the fire. Same goes for poison ship and meteor landing.

Nothing like getting Darko'd by spaceship parts.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Flesh Forge posted:

That's a free pile of money and a really nice parka for someone to wear, as well as a few days of meals!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I had a Dark Young self-tame. That poo poo got euthanized real quick. That thing will eat you out of house and home.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

Or better yet, a generic warning - Your colonists see something careening through the sky! A few seconds later - the standard Cargo Pod, Ship Part, meteorite notification.

Something similar for tornadoes - the sky being ominous or something, with a chance of a tornado occurain’t (but not always).

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Still waiting for a half second warning concerning infestations.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Flesh Forge posted:

They are crap. I actually managed to get a male and female once and they didnt get it on after ages :( Just walked around eating loving trees. Ended up killing them and selling their horns hehe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Really big animals like elephants and thrumbos are amazing pets during raids though, if you never make turrets.