Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

I'd say the old discipline bonuses are just rolled into the new ones. I.e. so we shouldn't double dip on ep gain if we take Curing. If we don't overwrite a discipline with its upgrade then we should still benefit from it.

Solarius sounds like a good set of skills, we should go for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

There's no need to vote for specific disciplines or lore circles yet, we're just voting on which way we'll be choosing them at this stage. We'll pick which actual disciplines or circle to take in the next vote. (If you specified a particular circle already then I'll count that as a vote for lore circles in general).

And if we do keep our Kai powers, they will be overwritten by the relevant Magnakai powers. So if we get Curing we'll still only get 1 EP per section regardless of whether we're still counting Healing or not. We won't be able to use Healing and Curing at the same time to recover twice as fast.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Circles and Retain.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tiggum posted:

We obviously still have our Kai Disciplines and the text of the books will refer to them at times, but those abilities listed above are not mentioned in the rules as printed in the Magnakai series books. So do we get to keep them, or do we start from scratch?

I vote start from scratch. I always interpreted it like: whether or not you actually played any of the earlier gamebooks, the Magnakai series rests on the assumption that Lone Wolf has already completed these earlier missions and become a Kai Master. So whatever new and greater challenges we encounter in these books should be already balanced around the idea that Lone Wolf has all this innate healing and weaponskill, etc.

As for the skills, let's aim for a Circle at least here at the start when we're picking out a few at once.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I could be wrong, but I *think* that the books make a lot of reference to Mindblast quite often (aka, this creature is immune to Mindblast, but not Psi-surge). Indicating we keep them.

Also, we cannot go into this series without Weaponmastery! We Will Have A Bow And Wish To Use it. So my vote is not to start with a circle but choose individual skills.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Comstar posted:

I could be wrong, but I *think* that the books make a lot of reference to Mindblast quite often (aka, this creature is immune to Mindblast, but not Psi-surge). Indicating we keep them.

The rules specifically say you can either use Mindblast or pay EP to kick up to Psi-Surge in the Psi-Surge section, so that doesn't help anything (and arguably cuts the other way since they don't mention that for Curing or Weaponskill etc).

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Also with Weaponmastery, we not only get to choose our starting weapon proficiency, but we get to add one (and eventually get them all, like with the disciplines in general). Not that it's likely to come up often since we'll be carrying over the Sommerswerd (and, if I know my goons, Wishing To Use Our Bow) anyway. But if we get a wild hair up our nose in one of these books and decide to fool around a warhammer or a quarterstaff just to prove we can, there's still a potential +3 CS bonus to be had.

Bifauxnen posted:

I vote start from scratch. I always interpreted it like: whether or not you actually played any of the earlier gamebooks, the Magnakai series rests on the assumption that Lone Wolf has already completed these earlier missions and become a Kai Master. So whatever new and greater challenges we encounter in these books should be already balanced around the idea that Lone Wolf has all this innate healing and weaponskill, etc.

As for the skills, let's aim for a Circle at least here at the start when we're picking out a few at once.

I also agree with this, generally. Also in a meta-sense it's more fun to strategize with backpack space and the Healing/Hunting combo almost makes that game play element redundant, so I say we ditch those bonuses. I'm also inclined to ditch weaponskill since the Sommerswerd is beast enough anyway (and already carries the +2 Weaponskill bonus if you have it in swords if I recall the Sommerswerd rules section from Book 2 correctly). Mindblast I'm fine with letting us still use since the game rules specifically call it out as a case of you having the option to either go low power or pay the cost for High Power.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
I'm also not making any input on discipline choice because I read the poo poo out of these books as a kiddo and even just following this thread has caused me to remember too much meta-knowledge. So I'll just be over in the corner making my personal trip down memory lane if you don't mind.

The rules do say we can complete any book no matter what our starting stats/skills are, after all :)

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Same. I was heavily involved with the last thread, so for the most part from now on I'm just going to sit back and see who else gets us killed six times in this next book.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mister Perky posted:

I'm also inclined to ditch weaponskill since the Sommerswerd is beast enough anyway (and already carries the +2 Weaponskill bonus if you have it in swords if I recall the Sommerswerd rules section from Book 2 correctly).
The way it's written is slightly confusing, but I think it just means that Weaponskill is added on top of the +8 you get from the Sommerswerd normally. The only exception the Sommerswerd makes to the Weaponskill rules is that it counts as a sword, short sword and broadsword, so you get the bonus if you're proficient with any of those - which I assume is just to give you more chance of getting the bonus since you don't get to pick your weapon proficiency in the Kai series.

Here's the relevant footnote from Project Aon: "The Sommerswerd is a weapon-like Special Item. The +10 COMBAT SKILL bonus referred to for Weaponskill is a combination of the +8 COMBAT SKILL that the Sommerswerd grants naturally and +2 for Weaponskill with Short Sword, Sword, or Broadsword (as each of them grant proficiency with the Sommerswerd). It is not an additional bonus. When used in combat, treat it like a one-handed sword, regardless of Weaponskill bonus. The text or footnotes will always remind you to double your enemy’s ENDURANCE point loss if it is undead."

Mister Perky posted:

I'm also not making any input on discipline choice because I read the poo poo out of these books as a kiddo and even just following this thread has caused me to remember too much meta-knowledge. So I'll just be over in the corner making my personal trip down memory lane if you don't mind.

Materant posted:

Same. I was heavily involved with the last thread, so for the most part from now on I'm just going to sit back and see who else gets us killed six times in this next book.
No one's going to force you to vote, but you're certainly allowed to. Just so long as you don't say stuff like "I'm picking Mindshield because there are lots of psychic enemies in this book." You're still allowed to pick it for that reason, just don't say it. Besides, you can always vote for options you haven't tried before (or don't remember) if you want to see what happens. :)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Keep 'em and revel in our god-power as a reward for slogging through these five books, pick freely

We'll probably need everything we can get... eventually.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Retain bonuses

Fire and Solaris have a synergy, go with below to complete Fire this book and Solaris next book

Weaponmastery: Bow
Huntmastery
Pathsmanship

<--- also this

Jackard fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 25, 2017

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Tiggum posted:

Attack Haakon with anything but the Sommerswerd and you'll find out why you should have been paying attention back in book two when it said "It is the only weapon in all of Magnamund that can kill a Darklord".

A few books later then, we'll find out that this is not true, because all the Darklords possess weapons that can kill each other. And we have the option to eliminate a couple with the Dagger of Vashna, which I don't remember if there was anoption to use in this combat...

As for the Skill I say

Keep

Weaponmastery (Bow), Huntmastery and Invisibility. So one Circle is completed and we'll be in a good point to complete a second one.

Guy Fawkes fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 24, 2017

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Retain the bonuses. Having those as a bonus for doing the previous books doesn't seem too out of line.

Vote for circles, not because I care that much about circle bonuses but because it has a good chance of simplifying the actual voting process.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

No bonuses for previous abilities.

Let the circle be unbroken, by the Kai, oh, by the Kai.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Retain bonuses, pick freely.

Picking Weaponmastery, Huntmastery (completes Circle of Fire), then get Nexus.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
So I'm not so great with reading and kinda skimmed over the initial choice post. Lemme revise.

Jackard posted:

Retain bonuses

Fire and Solaris have a synergy, go with below to complete Fire this book and Solaris next book

Weaponmastery: Bow
Huntmastery
Pathsmanship

Skills (not circles)
Weaponskill (bow, sword, hammer)
Huntmastery
Pathsmanship

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

OK, back to Legends. Let's talk about our straw-haired buddy:

Banedon

At the start of Eclipse of the Kai, he's sent out by the Guildmaster of the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star to warn the Kai of Vonotar's treachery. Vonotar commits the sin of studying both left-handed (good) and right-handed (bad) magic to become more powerful, and when the good guys balk he detonates an elder and high-tails it to the Darklands. More on him at another time, though. Banedon mostly stumbles through this little intro chapter, meeting people that he briefly helps out before they're graphically slaughtered by the Kraan et al and hiding in the woods. He eventually encounters Lone Wolf in some ruins, where the two of them dispatch a pack of Giak before exchanging introductions/condolences and parting ways. These initial adventures are detailed in the mini CYOA adventure included in the Magnamund Companion.

Anyhow, on his way he encounters a mysterious omnipotent manic pixie dream girl named Alyss. She'll have her own entry in a little bit (involving Lone Wolf's death), but suffice it to say for now she speaks repeatedly of the future she and Banedon will share and buffs his magic sufficiently to get him home safely at the end of the day. After returning, he slowly rises through the ranks and actually serves as the final pupil to Loi Kymar (the Brotherhood dude we rescued in book 3) in his final months, and picks up a slug of "second level magic" before Loi shuffles off the mortal coil. He has an adventure to Vassagonia prior to Lone Wolf's excursion, but to fully discuss that we need to meet Qinifer. All in good time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OK, the results are in and we've decided to keep our Kai abilities (10-3) and to pick a Lore Circle to complete (8-5). So it's time for book six!

The Kingdoms of Terror posted:

The Story So Far … 

You are Kai Master Lone Wolf—last of the Kai Lords of Sommerlund and the sole survivor of a massacre that destroyed your warrior kinsmen during a bitter war with your age-old enemies, the Darklords of Helgedad.

Three years have passed since your triumph over the Darklord Haakon at the Tomb of the Majhan, and for the northern realm of Sommerlund, these have been three years of peace and prosperity. Since Haakon’s defeat, the power of the Darklords has waned. Rumours abound that a civil war rages in Helgedad, as the lesser Darklords fight for power and dominion over the city. However, it is a widely held belief in Sommerlund that your discovery of the lost Sommlending treasure, The Book of the Magnakai, is the real reason for their power struggle.

The Book of the Magnakai is legendary in Sommerlund. With the wisdom of the Magnakai, Sun Eagle, the first Kai Grand Master, instilled the disciplines into the warriors of Sommerlund that were to protect your land from devastation at the hands of the Darklords. The Book of the Magnakai was lost hundreds of years ago, but its wisdom was kept alive, handed down through generations of Kai so that they too could share the strength to resist their eternal enemies.

When you discovered The Book of the Magnakai, you gave a solemn pledge to restore the Kai to their former glory and so ensure the security of your land in the years to come. You returned to your homeland and, in the seclusion of your monastery in the hills, set about the study of the Magnakai Disciplines. It was an exacting task—a trial of physical strength and mental fortitude. The seasons came and went, but you were unaware of the passage of time, lost in your quest for the knowledge and the skills of your warrior kin. Three years of determined study pass, revealing the secrets of three of the Magnakai Disciplines. However, the others cannot be learnt by study alone, and in order to fulfil your pledge to restore the Kai, you must complete the quest first made by Sun Eagle over a thousand years ago. When he had finally completed his quest, he recorded all his experiences in The Book of the Magnakai, but the script has faded with the passing years and now few words remain to guide you.

‘Seek and find the Lorestone of Varetta, for this alone holds the power and the wisdom … ’ are the few words you can still decipher of the Grand Master’s chronicle.

Although the verse is brief you are not without hope, for you recognize the name Varetta. It is one of the oldest cities of Magnamund, lying in the Stornlands beyond the Maakengorge, far to the south of Sommerlund. You realize that you must set out upon the quest without delay, for the war in Helgedad will not last indefinitely, and the Darklords swore long ago to conquer your country and destroy your people. As soon as their civil strife is resolved, the victorious lords of evil will turn on Sommerlund and summon the creatures of the Dark Realm to thwart your quest. You must therefore act quickly and with secrecy, for your life and the future of Sommerlund depend on your success.

And so, guided by the words of your ancient mentor and with the shadow of the Darklords ever present, you set out on the quest for the Lorestone of Varetta, unaware of the wonders and the horrors that await you in the Stornlands.

OK, let's start with our equipment. We get an additional 18 Gold Crowns, bringing our total to 50 (which is the maximum amount we can carry) and a new map. We also get to pick up to five of the following:
  • Sword
  • Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  • Warhammer
  • Bow
  • Quiver (contains six arrows)
  • 4 Special Rations (meals)
  • Quarterstaff
  • Padded Leather Waistcoat (+2 EP, replaces chainmail)
  • Rope
  • Dagger
  • Tinderbox
  • Axe
The bow counts as a weapon and we'd need to leave behind either the jewelled mace or the Sommerswerd if we take it. The quiver is a Special Item, which we can currently carry as many of as we like. Everything else is Weapons and Backpack items. Our backpack is full though, so if we want to put anything new in it we need to leave something behind. We can also choose to move items in or out of storage; our current equipment is listed on page one).

Next we need to choose our Magnakai Disciplines. We voted to complete a Lore Circle as soon as possible, so we need to decide which one it'll be; Fire, Light, Solaris or Spirit?
  • Circle of Fire (Weaponmastery & Huntmastery): +1 CS +2 EP
  • Circle of Light (Animal Control & Curing): 0 CS +3 EP
  • Circle of Solaris (Invisibility, Huntmastery & Pathsmanship): +1 CS +3 EP
  • Circle of the Spirit (Psi-surge, Psi-screen, Nexus & Divination): +3 CS +3 EP
If we choose Fire or Light then we're going to also have an additional Discipline to pick, so (regardless of which circle you actually vote for) you can also vote for one Discipline you'd like to have if we pick Fire, and one you'd like to have if we pick Light (or just vote once if it's the same either way).

If we choose Spirit then we're not going to be able to get all four Disciplines required, so (regardless of which circle you actually vote for) you can also vote for which of the four Spirit Disciplines you least want. Weaponmastery also lets you pick three weapons (out of spears, daggers, maces, short swords, warhammers, bows, axes, swords, quarterstaves & broadswords - the Sommerswerd counts as sword, short sword and broadsword) to get a bonus with, so if you pick it then specify that as well.

So your vote should look something like this:

quote:

I want to pick up the potion of laumspur, the bow and quiver and the rope. I want to put the new potion straight into storage along with the meal of laumspur and the jewelled mace.

I'm voting for the Circle of Solaris, but if we pick Fire then I also want to get Curing. If we pick Light then I want Weaponmastery with Swords, Bows and Daggers. If we pick Spirit then I don't want Psi-surge.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 29, 2017

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Circle of Fire, Pathsmanship.

Bow, normal sword, hammer

Bow, sommerswerd

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Circle of Solaris. Bow instead of Jeweled Mace. Short Sword, Bow , & Spear for Weapon Mastery.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Circle of Fire, Invisibility. (We're a Predator. Only we don't get the FWASHLAMP when we switch eye colour).

We Will Have A Bow And We Will Wish To Use It, Sword, dagger

Bow, Sommerswerd

Padded Leather Waistcoat (+2 EP, replaces chainmail), Quiver and Arrows

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Circle of Fire plus Nexus. We will be forest Jedi-ninja.

Picking Weaponmastery in Sword, Bow, Dagger.

Stash the Mace and all the potions except for 1 Laumspur. We want the backpack space for fresh loot.

Get Bow, Quiver, Laumspur, Rope, Meal, so that should leave us with the Bow and the Sommerswerd as our weapons.

anakha fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 28, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Circle of the Spirit leaving out Nexus

anakha posted:

Picking Weaponmastery in Sword, Bow, Dagger.

Stash the Spear and all the potions except for 1 Laumspur. We want the backpack space for fresh loot.

Get Bow, Quiver, Laumspur, Rope, Meal, so that should leave us with the Bow and the Sommerswerd as our weapons.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Mmmm.....

Skills: Circle of Fire + Invisibility.

Weaponmastery: Bow, Sword, Dagger.

Items: In the Storage the Jeweled Mace goes, with the Meal of Laumspur and 2 Potion of Alether.

Take Bow (+ Quiver and Arrows), Sommerswerd, Rope.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

Circle of Fire

Bow, sword, hammer

Guy Fawkes posted:

Invisibility.

Comstar posted:

Bow, Sommerswerd

Padded Leather Waistcoat (+2 EP, replaces chainmail), Quiver and Arrows
OK, we've got Weaponmastery (with bow, sword & warhammer), Huntmastery and Invisibility. We're taking the bow, leather waistcoat and quiver and arrows and putting the Jewelled Mace and Chainmail Waistcoat in storage.

This puts our Combat Skill up to 33 while our Endurance remains 32. And with that we're ready to begin our quest for the Lorestone of Varetta.

The Kingdoms of Terror posted:

The courtyard of the Kai Monastery is strangely silent the morning you begin the quest. A blanket of frost sparkles on the battlements and the air is crisp and clear as you guide your horse down the steep hill track that disappears into the Fryelund Forest. It is only a little later when you look back to see the tall grey towers of your stronghold silhouetted against the sky. You bid a silent farewell before entering the densely packed trees. You do not look back again.

The long ride south is not without incident. On Raider’s Road, the highway between the capital and the province of Ruanon, you are confronted by a ragged outlaw band. They demand gold but instead receive a harsh lesson in the powers of a Kai Master. You fight them and they flee in confusion, leaving three of their number dead on the highway. After this encounter, you are given a wide berth by all the other unsavoury characters of this bleak and desolate region.

In Ruanon, you are greeted with a hero’s welcome by the lord of the land, Baron Vanalund. He and his people will never forget the debt they owe you, for it was your courage that once saved them from destruction at the hands of an evil renegade warlord. You are made so welcome by the Ruanese that your quest is in danger of being forgotten in the endless round of banquets and celebrations held in your honour. However, you cannot neglect your duty, and the time soon comes for you to leave the mining town and venture south once more.

Long ago, the highway from Ruanon to Quarlen was torn in two by a terrible earthquake that scarred the land for hundreds of miles. This deep crevasse became known as the Maakengorge—the Chasm of Doom—for its fathomless depths are cursed with a dreadful legacy. It was here, during the Age of the Black Moon, that King Ulnar killed the mightiest of the Darklords—Lord Vashna, whose body, along with the bodies of all his followers, was cast down into its bottomless reach. The legends say that his death-cry will echo through the gorge until he rises again to wreak his vengeance on Sommerlund and the House of Ulnar.

You are eager to avoid the Chasm of Doom and the long detour to the free city-state of Casiorn is a far better prospect than a visit to the ghost-city of Maaken. Gradually, the fertile plain of southern Ruanon gives way to the sparse vegetation on the borders of the Dry Main. There, like a jewel rising out of the desert, lies the city-state of Casiorn. Your stay in the City of Merchants is a brief but profitable one; a piece of luck helped by your Kai skills gives a profitable win at the gambling house of the Silver Sage. With the gold you win you replenish your supplies and purchase a fresh mount for your ride to Quarlen.

A week later, you arrive safely at the outskirts of Quarlen and, in the evening twilight, find yourself gazing upon the fortified wall that surrounds this river town. To reach Varetta you must cross the river—and only here, at Quarlen, is there a bridge that spans the fast-flowing waters of the Quarl. The highway divides as it approaches the town wall, for there are two gates that provide access to its east side.
We don't have Pathsmanship so we simply have to choose between the north gate and the south gate.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
North Gate

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

South Gate

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
South

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
It seems we are going west so south is left.

What is that on the third shield?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I think it might be an attempt at something like a lantern shield or scissor, with a flail or mace instead of a sword, and a wing as the shield?

Or it's a stylised pegasus' hindquarters?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 28, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kanthulhu posted:

What is that on the third shield?

A spur over a wing.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
lol I wasn't close at all.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Think it’s a spur.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Ratatozsk posted:

Think it’s a spur.

Yeah I guess it could just be a winged spur.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Qinifer

If nothing else, Qinifer is a character of color. I don't think it's fair to say that this makes up for the volumes and volumes of swarthy foes dispatched in the CYOA series, but it's something. Anyhow, she's just a regular old peasant girl who sees her family graphically slaughtered in front of her. She hides under a bed until the raid passes and then extricates herself and begins to wander. This wandering quickly turns bloody and through the course of making her way to Holmgard she begins to reveal an innate aptitude in some basic Kai practices. Most pointedly, she slaughters a shitload of the spawn of the Darklords, including putting a Helghast to flight after he leers at her while she bathes. So that's creeperific.

She's immediately enlisted upon making it to Holmgard and rises quickly through the ranks. In fact she is so well received that they briefly consider sending her to get the Somerswerd rather than Lone Wolf. Granted, she does seem to have a spark of the Kai within her, but it does seem a bit risky given that a non-Kai hand wielding the Somerswerd purportedly snuffs its power out for good. As we all know, LW goes a-questing and she stays to guard the homefront with some spectacularly successful military maneuvers against the spawn of the darklands before Zagarna gets nuked.

After the war ends, she heads off to help rebuild the Kai Monastery and Order with Lone Wolf. When he gets kidnapped by Haakon for a few years (more on this later), she keeps things from falling apart, and the two of them build a very close relationship. As noted earlier, she accompanies Banedon on a little quest to Vassagonia and discovers a portal allowing hellspawn to enter the city which helps set the stage for Shadow on the Sand.

OK, I think after a brief...ish entry on Alyss we'll have all the major characters on board and can start to talk about the spectacularly unfortunate misadventures of Lone Wolf hidden behind the scenes and catch up to the thread's progress. I will offer this caveat now - Legends stops well short of the end of the Magnakai series, so get yourself ready to be left hanging on some weird points.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Ratatozsk posted:

Qinifer

If nothing else, Qinifer is a character of color. I don't think it's fair to say that this makes up for the volumes and volumes of swarthy foes dispatched in the CYOA series, but it's something. Anyhow, she's just a regular old peasant girl who sees her family graphically slaughtered in front of her. She hides under a bed until the raid passes and then extricates herself and begins to wander. This wandering quickly turns bloody and through the course of making her way to Holmgard she begins to reveal an innate aptitude in some basic Kai practices. Most pointedly, she slaughters a shitload of the spawn of the Darklords, including putting a Helghast to flight after he leers at her while she bathes. So that's creeperific.

She's immediately enlisted upon making it to Holmgard and rises quickly through the ranks. In fact she is so well received that they briefly consider sending her to get the Somerswerd rather than Lone Wolf. Granted, she does seem to have a spark of the Kai within her, but it does seem a bit risky given that a non-Kai hand wielding the Somerswerd purportedly snuffs its power out for good. As we all know, LW goes a-questing and she stays to guard the homefront with some spectacularly successful military maneuvers against the spawn of the darklands before Zagarna gets nuked.

After the war ends, she heads off to help rebuild the Kai Monastery and Order with Lone Wolf. When he gets kidnapped by Haakon for a few years (more on this later), she keeps things from falling apart, and the two of them build a very close relationship. As noted earlier, she accompanies Banedon on a little quest to Vassagonia and discovers a portal allowing hellspawn to enter the city which helps set the stage for Shadow on the Sand.

OK, I think after a brief...ish entry on Alyss we'll have all the major characters on board and can start to talk about the spectacularly unfortunate misadventures of Lone Wolf hidden behind the scenes and catch up to the thread's progress. I will offer this caveat now - Legends stops well short of the end of the Magnakai series, so get yourself ready to be left hanging on some weird points.

I must admit I've never understood Quinifer as a character; she always felt to me like a filler, something added but without giving anything to the plot, but it could've been me all along.

By the way North.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Ratatozsk posted:

In fact she is so well received that they briefly consider sending her to get the Somerswerd rather than Lone Wolf. Granted, she does seem to have a spark of the Kai within her, but it does seem a bit risky given that a non-Kai hand wielding the Somerswerd purportedly snuffs its power out for good.

We can be pretty sure this has never been tested.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

ulmont posted:

We can be pretty sure this has never been tested.

I think in one of the early books, someone tries to steal the 'Swerd from you, but it burns the poo poo out of him and he has to drop it. Granted, that's not wielding, but...

Spoiled because I can't remember if that's a thing in the books we've read or the ones after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Qinifer would probably be an even better wielder for the Sommerswerd than Lone Wolf. What with her obvious Mary Sue ness and all. :)