Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RISCy Business posted:

i'm having some very weird issues with my new pc

it was running fine for a couple of days, but when i woke up yesterday morning it was turned off, so i turned it on and left for work

when i got home, one of my monitors (connected via hdmi) had signal and no video, the other (dvi) had nothing, so i rebooted

i was able to get it working for a short time until the displays went to sleep, at which point i couldn't get video

tried a bios update, swapped in an older gpu (which worked fine) and reinstalled nvidia drivers, but once i rebooted with the new gpu nvidia prompted me to install the exact same drivers again

tried a windows 10 refresh too, no dice :pwn:

anything in event log? what gpu, are monitors connected to just it or just mobo or both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

anything in event log? what gpu, are monitors connected to just it or just mobo or both?

can't check the event log because i literally can't get video anymore, only signal via dvi, and no integrated gpu because apparently ryzen doesn't have that

it's a gtx 1080 ti and both monitors are connected to it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RISCy Business posted:

can't check the event log because i literally can't get video anymore, only signal via dvi, and no integrated gpu because apparently ryzen doesn't have that

it's a gtx 1080 ti and both monitors are connected to it

so you are stuck with pc that shows no video on either monitor no matter circumstances, or what? can you try to boot into safe mode, by keyboard mashing if you can't see bios?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

kinda want to suggest to check gpu physically, but that would be weird place for problem to hide, internal connectors don't slowly slip out over the course of a few days

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

so you are stuck with pc that shows no video on either monitor no matter circumstances, or what? can you try to boot into safe mode, by keyboard mashing if you can't see bios?

basically, yeah, unless i swap in my old gpu and boot with that installed

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

kinda want to suggest to check gpu physically, but that would be weird place for problem to hide, internal connectors don't slowly slip out over the course of a few days

i tried reseating both the new gpu and the pci-e power connectors

i just got it on monday too, and it was running just fine, so i can't imagine what would've happened in the course of 48 hours to make this happen

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RISCy Business posted:

basically, yeah, unless i swap in my old gpu and boot with that installed

get in with the old driver and nuke video drivers

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i've had windows forget it was using the second screen. win + p and pick extend, maybe

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
ok so it seems to be stable now, ran display driver uninstall and installed latest drivers

hopefully it doesn't poo poo the bed again

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
bad news: it poo poo the bed again

windows device manager reported that the gpu was stopped because it was "reporting issues", so i reinstalled nvidia drivers and tried to launch a game which immediately crashed

probably gonna have to rma this card, gently caress

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
i have to rma my video card too

because i'm still seeing your posts!!!!

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

my parents handed me a busted drive and instructed me to "get the pictures off", so i ask, what kind of of recovery tools are out there?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

oh no blimp issue posted:

my parents handed me a busted drive and instructed me to "get the pictures off", so i ask, what kind of of recovery tools are out there?

Define busted: does it spin?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

oh no blimp issue posted:

Take a disk image copy (dd, DriveImageXML, etc) with whatever raw copy mode to get what you can off the failing disk as fast as possible in a stabilized state. Restore /mount that and I'd run GetDataBackNTFS against it. Worth the $50 or whatever.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

Define busted: does it spin?

i wouldn't even bother posting if it didn't

for some reason my usb hdd dock isn't turning up in my ubuntu vm, so that's nice!

i wanted to use dd to make a sparse copy of the drive since i don't have over much space atm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mum and dads sex tape from
when they were young and hot needs to be saved

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

why are you letting your kids post on your account

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

echinopsis posted:

do you want a copy?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what was the name of that goon run torrent site? not piracy one just a goon run site where anyone could post torrent files. do that. torrent the poo poo out of it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

echinopsis posted:

what was the name of that goon run torrent site? not piracy one just a goon run site where anyone could post torrent files. do that. torrent the poo poo out of it

Alluvion

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah "alta vista" kept popping into my mind btu I knew it wasnt that

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

yeah "alta vista" kept popping into my mind btu I knew it wasnt that

there's a classic

maybe try hotbot too

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

lycos

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i wish there were an easy/fast way to get the star wars despecialized editions. the official instructions require eight hours to download each one :eng99:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they're on the pirate bay in a big pack and i doubt there are any copyright lawyers watching that particular torrent

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

they're on the pirate bay in a big pack and i doubt there are any copyright lawyers watching that particular torrent

yeah, they're not outlawed as long as you don't pay/charge any money for them

thanks for the pointer. had forgotten that still existed :tipshat:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Take a disk image copy (dd, DriveImageXML, etc) with whatever raw copy mode to get what you can off the failing disk as fast as possible in a stabilized state. Restore /mount that and I'd run GetDataBackNTFS against it. Worth the $50 or whatever.

yeah gddrescue from linux to make a disk image from as many of the sectors as you can read, if you can pull the files off that then great. if not, getdatabackntfs to try to reconstruct the filesystem enough to get em. if that doesnt do it, its about a grand to get drivesavers to look at it if they backburner it

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

syscall girl posted:

there's a classic

maybe try hotbot too

astalavista.box.sk

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

prefect posted:

i wish there were an easy/fast way to get the star wars despecialized editions. the official instructions require eight hours to download each one :eng99:

they suck, don't bother with them.

to get the same effect, watch 240p youtube camcorder recordings of star wars vhs tapes while punching your groin

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have all the despecialized Star Wars on my labtop

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

I have all the despecialized Star Wars on my labtop

i have every star wars rifftrax on my laptop

even the prequels

also every rifftrax

i'm kind of obsessed with mike and kevin and bill

also all mst3k and cinematic titanic

i'd never have seen the room or the twilight movies or the avengers without that they just barf out dad jokes constantly throughout

especially great is that they did probably one of the best movies ever and acknowledged that they probably shouldn't be making fun of it but, silly hats*

*casablanca

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
they also did one for raiders of the lost ark that was solid as I recall

also the netflix mst3k got picked up for another season, so yay

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont like rifftrax

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

they also did one for raiders of the lost ark that was solid as I recall

also the netflix mst3k got picked up for another season, so yay

i hope they tone it down a bit

i think they did a little last season just calmed down, or maybe i was just acclimating to it but you can't make that many bad jokes that fast and expect the audience to really hang with it

although the jokes in early mst3k were great because they slipped so much progressive politics in and poo poo i didn't catch a bunch of it but it's there if you listen

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fishmech posted:

they suck, don't bother with them.

to get the same effect, watch 240p youtube camcorder recordings of star wars vhs tapes while punching your groin

what other way is there to get to watch the star warses without all the stupid extra crap?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

prefect posted:

what other way is there to get to watch the star warses without all the stupid extra crap?

stars war

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

prefect posted:

one option I’m fond of is to just not watch them

if you really need to, lego Star Wars has the same story but without dialog and you play it instead of just watching it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

prefect posted:

laserdisc

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

prefect posted:

since you're only getting laserdisc-grade quality out of the hastily mashed together pile of 50 different sources including some random tv broadcasts, just watch a nicely cleaned up laserdisc rip.

alternately one of the like 3 dozen star wars blu-ray releases has DVD transfers of the theatrical cuts on its bonus discs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
i'd say it would be good to watch stars war if you're about ten years old

cuz it was something of a revelation to me when i got to stay up late with all three vhs tapes and just space out

buuut there are so many more fun scifi tv shows and movies that are 10 y/o appropriate you could probably take a pass on that tired old religion