Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
So as someone who's been away for a long-rear end time, what's the go-to mod manager for Special Edition? The standby of MO doesn't work with it, and MO2 apparently isn't actually a thing yet. Is it time to return to the bad old days of the Nexus Mod Manager?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
NMM is fine unless you have a hardcore need for VFS, I think

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Isn't this MO2? It's SE compatible at any rate.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

GunnerJ posted:

what the gently caress

This is cyber violence.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

if you're just starting out with sse then you can go to the built in mod browser thing and just install all the popular mods that look interesting. this is technically a really dumb idea for reasons the thread will be happy to explain, but sse is so stable it still works, I've played 80 hours without a single crash or glitch.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Honestly, I may use that to grab the more important mods on my next playthrough. My biggest problem with it was that it didn't have a progress bar that I could see - I had no idea how long it would tie up my computer while downloading poo poo, but now I have a better internet connection.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Maybe this is a stupid question, but I’m having trouble getting NMM to directly install things I’ve downloaded from the nexus. I can add them manually but it’s just like checking them on and off. Is this going to be an issue where the mods have more complicated installation options like realistic water?

I think the problem is that I use MO for Oldrim and it’s messing up the associated file types, but even running things as an administrator, I can’t reset the preferences. I’d ideally still like to use MO for the old version and NMM for the new one at least for now, but I’m not particularly comfortable with modding in the first place so the installation thing put me off from trying it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
When NMM checks a mod you've clicked on, it means it's installed. Anything with an installer will pop up while it's installing and let you change options and what not.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Oh, I didn’t know that. Thank you, I fee a lot less anxious about fiddling around with it now.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
For SLE I'd go MOrdaniser but for SE so far - especially if you use SKSE64 I've had a much better time with NMM.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ProfessorCirno posted:

So as someone who's been away for a long-rear end time, what's the go-to mod manager for Special Edition? The standby of MO doesn't work with it, and MO2 apparently isn't actually a thing yet. Is it time to return to the bad old days of the Nexus Mod Manager?

MO2 works more or less fine. I need to restart MO2 every once in a while, but it installs mods, loads the vfs and runs skse properly. Aside from the instability of MO itself, I haven't run into any problems.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
the question you have to ask yourself for Skyrim SE is how many mod profiles do you plan to run in parallel and how different are they going to be

if your answers tend towards "one" or "not very" then it doesn't matter, use whatever's the least bullshit to use. If your answers are "ten" and "extremely, to the point of 800 installed mods of which each profile maybe has 25 that overlap" then yeah, consider MO2. Then again if you're going to do that, you probably already know you have to use MO for it.

for LE, mod organizer or bust though

CascadeBeta posted:

When NMM checks a mod you've clicked on, it means it's installed. Anything with an installer will pop up while it's installing and let you change options and what not.

writing installers sucks, I might add. XML? in 2017? for shame

then again they're called FOMOD installers for a reason, and that reason is the format hasn't changed since 2007 or whenever the hell FO3 came out

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 20, 2017

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The only problem I've had thus far with MO is that it doesn't recognize .esl files, but I only have one (I got Survival mode when it was free so w/e). So I just enabled that poo poo by running SSE through Steam, and now it works fine even though MO is bitching that these .esp files have disabled masters and whatnot.

It does crash a lot after I leave the game, though. Not sure what's up there. Other than that, it seems to work fine.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

sebmojo posted:

if you're just starting out with sse then you can go to the built in mod browser thing and just install all the popular mods that look interesting. this is technically a really dumb idea for reasons the thread will be happy to explain, but sse is so stable it still works, I've played 80 hours without a single crash or glitch.

I'm not sure that counts as "modding."

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I miss DSR, I was a sucker for having a shield on my back. Granted, the first part of that is in place (auto equip shield on back), but DSR's automation of the appropriate meshes was a godsend.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Are there any SSE mods that make the following changes?

Lower carry weights.
Add weights to arrows/lockpicks/etc.
Make equipped armour weigh nothing.

I'm looking to do a slow-paced proper survival mode but it's hard when I can carry around 100 pounds off food / supplies, with multiple armour sets and an army's worth of arrows.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I get why people want to turn Skyrim into a survival game, it's got a nice mix of environments, they have a lot of food as consumables, and a wide range of clothing/armor. But it's probably never going to be as good of a survival game as one of the very, very many ones that were meant to be a survival game.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Probably not, but to my knowledge none of the games meant to be played as survival games let you waltz into your next door neighbor's house, throw a basket over their head, and steal everything off their dinner table with impunity.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah I'm looking for a hybrid survival / yell at someone really loud to throw them off a mountain game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Skwirl posted:

I get why people want to turn Skyrim into a survival game, it's got a nice mix of environments, they have a lot of food as consumables, and a wide range of clothing/armor. But it's probably never going to be as good of a survival game as one of the very, very many ones that were meant to be a survival game.

it captures the look of that kind of country so well it's enticing to just spend time in it, and survival gives you something to do while you're spending time, maybe?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

sebmojo posted:

it captures the look of that kind of country so well it's enticing to just spend time in it, and survival gives you something to do while you're spending time, maybe?

I mean, you could basically recreate almost all of the mechanics from The Long Dark with Frostfall and a few other mods.

After that all you need is a mod that removes all the NPCs so you're just alone in the wilderness with animals.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Elder Scrolls works best when you start out as a pathetic, weak piece of poo poo and grow into a ludicrously powerful god-tier being of unfathomable power. At some point, all that survival stuff would become irrelevant anyway.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SwissCM posted:

Elder Scrolls works best when you start out as a pathetic, weak piece of poo poo and grow into a ludicrously powerful god-tier being of unfathomable power.

Which is were Skyrim deviates from the norm.

People who know you are special and fated to become god-tier, by game:
  • Arena: a ghost wizard, also the bad guy once you've completed like 2/3 of the main quest.
  • Daggerfall: the emperor, who is in his palace far away, while you're acting undercover after you get out of the shipwreck and dungeon.
  • Morrowind: the emperor (far away) and Azura (who doesn't tell anyone), but no one else in game until you fully grow into the role you're supposed to play and they can't dismiss you anymore.
  • Oblivion: the emperor (who gets killed during the tutorial dungeon, so he can't tell anyone). Then it turns out that it's not you but Martin who's the chosen one anyway.
  • Skyrim: everybody in the entire province as soon as you go from Riverwood to Whiterun.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Cat Mattress posted:

Which is were Skyrim deviates from the norm.

People who know you are special and fated to become god-tier, by game:
  • Arena: a ghost wizard, also the bad guy once you've completed like 2/3 of the main quest.
  • Daggerfall: the emperor, who is in his palace far away, while you're acting undercover after you get out of the shipwreck and dungeon.
  • Morrowind: the emperor (far away) and Azura (who doesn't tell anyone), but no one else in game until you fully grow into the role you're supposed to play and they can't dismiss you anymore.
  • Oblivion: the emperor (who gets killed during the tutorial dungeon, so he can't tell anyone). Then it turns out that it's not you but Martin who's the chosen one anyway.
  • Skyrim: everybody in the entire province as soon as you go from Riverwood to Whiterun.

Well, to be fair it's only after you take out that first dragon put a few anemic arrows into the dragon while the troops whittle it down, and then somehow absorb its soul in front of them that they realize you're special....but yeah, splittin hairs there.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Skyrim is the Millennial meme of ES.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Trying to figure out Vsync:

I've been messing with ENB's borderless windowed settings, and as far as I can tell if borderless windowed is on, Vsync doesn't work. I've tried setting Vsync on in the INI, forced on Nvidia Inspector, and via enblocal.ini and none of them stick. If I disable borderless windowed, it works again, so I've confirmed that borderless windowed is the problem. I've tried OneTweak's borderless windowed setting as well, and that also causes the same problem.

Is there any known way to set Skyrim Legendary Edition so that I can have both Vsync active and alt-tab easily without freezing the game?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
any form of windowed mode should typically use your monitor's refresh rate, so I doubt vsync will fix that?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

OAquinas posted:

Well, to be fair it's only after you take out that first dragon put a few anemic arrows into the dragon while the troops whittle it down, and then somehow absorb its soul in front of them that they realize you're special....but yeah, splittin hairs there.

That's why alternate start is (one of) the best mod.

The MSQ starting off that strong that early is dumb.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Zore posted:

The biggest issue with SSE is that the SPERG port has a ton of broken perks :(

I'm at level 50 on my current SSE playthrough with the sperg port installed and haven't noticed this at all. I'm actually surprised how well it does work.
Even added in the unarmed perks add-on along with a tweaked version of the best friend whistle, both from oldrim, and they work as expected as well.
:shrug:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr.Grit posted:

I'm at level 50 on my current SSE playthrough with the sperg port installed and haven't noticed this at all. I'm actually surprised how well it does work.
Even added in the unarmed perks add-on along with a tweaked version of the best friend whistle, both from oldrim, and they work as expected as well.
:shrug:

My laptop is too lovely to run the Special Edition, but my understanding is that most of the broken perks are in the Illusion tree, the ones that involve summoning ghost animals.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Skwirl posted:

My laptop is too lovely to run the Special Edition, but my understanding is that most of the broken perks are in the Illusion tree, the ones that involve summoning ghost animals.

Also the Best Friend ones in thr speech tree and a handful of others scattered around.

The issue is the ones that are broken are my favorites :(

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe somebody can help me out.

I finally switched to MO, and it works fine when I make a merged patch, but when I go to the next step and make a bashed patch, it'll start a new game, but the bed in Live Another Life won't work, and it then will, without fail, ctd on when I try to load.

I didn't merge any mods, just waned to merge the leveled lists, and it won't work.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Tested this one because I never take it. Works the same as it did in LE for me... Which is to say not really the way I expect it to work. The 3 hour cooldown seems wonky and they get in the way when spawning while I'm shooting an arrow/bolt. I'm 95 in illusion and not noticed a single thing messed up.

Zore posted:

Also the Best Friend ones in thr speech tree and a handful of others scattered around.

The issue is the ones that are broken are my favorites :(

Nah. Been using the "best friend" perk this entire play-through. Everything works including selling/summoning.

I am using SKSESE, and haven't gone so far as to check every single buff percentage and such, but haven't noticed anything glaringly broken at all.

Not trying to champion anything here. I'm just not seeing these issues.
ymmv though.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I think the cooldown only applies if they die.

Good to hear this is working. Might be time to finally try the new version then. SPERG and AFT are two mods I always go back to because I dislike every alternative. Skyrim isn't Skyrim to me without them now.

Anyone using Forgotten Magic? Does that work in new Skyrim?

Edit: looks like it's been ported. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12711/

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 24, 2017

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Are there any model replacers for the hyper-chiseled manly men who suplex bears bodies?

I kind of want to make a mage that doesn't look like he could stomp a hole through a bear.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Speaking of models that annoy me;

The first-person weapon models. Swords are stubby and short as gently caress. And they look about 3 inches thick. It's extremely egregious on the Ebony Sword, if you compare the third person and first person models. I can't loving unsee it, and I have never found a mod that addresses it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhjamiz posted:

Speaking of models that annoy me;

The first-person weapon models. Swords are stubby and short as gently caress. And they look about 3 inches thick. It's extremely egregious on the Ebony Sword, if you compare the third person and first person models. I can't loving unsee it, and I have never found a mod that addresses it.

I swear there was a model replacement that addressed this specifically.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

LeanWolf's Better-Shaped Weapons (SE Version here) does a good job addressing that, I think. Could be wrong since it's been a long time since I've played.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Cavauro posted:

LeanWolf's Better-Shaped Weapons (SE Version here) does a good job addressing that, I think. Could be wrong since it's been a long time since I've played.

It is has also been a long time for me but I do remember finding this mod and as far as I recall, was not satisfied. That may be because I looked for 1st person examples in their screenshots and didn't find a single one, tho :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't believe weapons have "first person models". That's just for playable races, clothes, and armors.