Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Another suggestion for the Sandman reader: Directly spinning out from the Sandman (sort of) was the Books of Magic, both the miniseries which was directly written by Neil Gaiman and the ongoing series which was not. I recommend both, the latter was actually one of the first comics I bought all the back issues of in like 2002 or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Uthor posted:

What do you like about Sandman?

Some contemporaries that were good, but not exactly the same in style: Preacher, Transmetropolitan, maybe Starman. Pretty much any Vertigo from the time.

Books about gods and mythos and stories: Wicked and Divine, Planetary, (going with curveballs here) Kirby's Fourth World, Kingdom Come, Starlin's Warlock.

Epic tales: Bone, Pluto, Simonson's Thor, Hellboy.

Just a bunch of titles that jump to mind when I think of Sandman. Unwritten was probably the closest in style and content.

Thanks for these, will definitely check them out. I've read the first volume of Wicked and Divine and it is totally the kind of thing I'm looking for so thanks for reminding me about that.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lord Banana posted:

Thanks for these, will definitely check them out. I've read the first volume of Wicked and Divine and it is totally the kind of thing I'm looking for so thanks for reminding me about that.

Phonogram is basically a prototype for WicDev so you might like that too. It's less grand and has a lot more about 90s Britpop tho

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. That narrows the field enough to make some sense to me, and yet is broad enough to more than fill my comics budget.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Here's the mandatory recommendation from me to buy all three Cassandra Cain Batgirl volumes:

Buy the Cassandra Cain Batgirl volumes.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Uh, so after finishing the Nu52 run of Justice League, I'm interested in Face Turn Luthor and Jessica Cruz. What good series should I read if I want to experience more of them? I'm aware of Rebirth Action Comics and Green Lantern(s?), but are there others?

Also, I'm looking for good Hal Jordan stories. That is, stories that are good and only work if it's Hal (and not any other Green Lantern). I would like to get into him more because he's the character who gets the most attention, but I don't really want a huge reading order of trades or something.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Especially since you read Darkseid War, pick up the amazing Tom King/Doc Shaner Hal Jordan Green Lantern tie-in.
There should be a collection of all of the side issues in that digital sale.
New Frontier has good Hal. The whole pilot aspect perfectly fits the period.

As for Lex, he was in Greg Pak's Action Comics for a few spots, and that's just a great comic anyway.
'Superman' is dealing with his whole Apokolips god-hood right now.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Teenage Fansub posted:

Especially since you read Darkseid War, pick up the amazing Tom King/Doc Shaner Hal Jordan Green Lantern tie-in.
There should be a collection of all of the side issues in that digital sale.
New Frontier has good Hal. The whole pilot aspect perfectly fits the period.

As for Lex, he was in Greg Pak's Action Comics for a few spots, and that's just a great comic anyway.
'Superman' is dealing with his whole Apokolips god-hood right now.

Is that collection the one labeled The Darkseid War, where Hal saves Oa and loses his godhood?

I have New Frontier too but still haven't read it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's this one https://www.comixology.com/Justice-League-The-Darkseid-War-Power-of-the-Gods/digital-comic/358420
From memory, the other stories weren't terrible either.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 23, 2017

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yeah that one, I quite liked it. Hal's was the one that stood out quite a bit.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Schneider Heim posted:

Uh, so after finishing the Nu52 run of Justice League, I'm interested in Face Turn Luthor and Jessica Cruz. What good series should I read if I want to experience more of them? I'm aware of Rebirth Action Comics and Green Lantern(s?), but are there others?

Also, I'm looking for good Hal Jordan stories. That is, stories that are good and only work if it's Hal (and not any other Green Lantern). I would like to get into him more because he's the character who gets the most attention, but I don't really want a huge reading order of trades or something.

Geoff John's Green Lantern run is what you want.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Christmas is coming up, so I decided to put that big honking Fourth World Omnibus on my wishlist, any other reccs for huge doorstoppers ideally in the 50 or so dollar range?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Solaris Knight posted:

Christmas is coming up, so I decided to put that big honking Fourth World Omnibus on my wishlist, any other reccs for huge doorstoppers ideally in the 50 or so dollar range?

Is the X-Statix omnibus still really cheap?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Solaris Knight posted:

Justice League International Omnibus Vol. 1 is $60.17 right now, and a bargain at twice that price:
https://www.amazon.com/Justice-Leag...ational+omnibus

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skwirl posted:

Is the X-Statix omnibus still really cheap?

I'll sell mine for cheap, at least!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Justice League International Omnibus Vol. 1 is $60.17 right now, and a bargain at twice that price:
https://www.amazon.com/Justice-Leag...ational+omnibus

Over under they make a second one?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

Geoff John's Green Lantern run is what you want.

Yep, start at Rebirth and stop after Blackest Night (although I kind of liked War of the Green Lanterns but a lot don't)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Retro Futurist posted:

Yep, start at Rebirth and stop after Blackest Night (although I kind of liked War of the Green Lanterns but a lot don't)

How many issues/trades is that?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Uthor posted:

I'll sell mine for cheap, at least!

Volume 1 includes:
JUSTICE LEAGUE #1-6, JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #7-25, JUSTICE LEAGUE AMERICA #26-30, JUSTICE LEAGUE ANNUAL #1, JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL ANNUAL #2-3, JUSTICE LEAGUE EUROPE #1-6 and SUICIDE SQUAD #13.

So that's 40 issues.

Volume 2 should probably include Justice League America #31-52 (22 issues) and Justice League Europe #7-28 (22 issues), plus Justice League International Special #1 (the Mister Miracle tie-in), Justice League America Annual #4 (Justice League Antarctica story), and Justice League Europe Annual #1, which would be a whopping 47 issues.

Volume 3 would then include the entire "Breakdowns" storyline, going back and forth between JL America and JL Europe, collecting JL America #53-60 (8 issues) and JL Europe #29-36 (8 issues), plus Justice League Quarterly #1-3, Green Lantern #18 (a "Breakdowns" tie-in), and JL America Annual #5 and JL Europe Annual #2 (both Armageddon 2001 tie-ins). That's 22 issues right there, but they could pad it by including Formerly Known as the Justice League #1-6 and JLA Classified #4-9 (the "I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League" story), for 34 issues.

Do I think DC will make these? I'll be pleasantly surprised if they ever get around to them, but I already bound my singles into four perfect, complete custom hardcovers, so I'm good. I haven't gotten the newer material bound, though -- just the original JL/JLI/JLA/JLE run, concluding with "Breakdowns." And I bound Armageddon 2001 #1-2 in with mine, since JL Europe Annual #2 leads directly into Armageddon 2001 #2, but DC would never do that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Schneider Heim posted:

How many issues/trades is that?

This looks about right

As for how far to go, the basic problem with it was that Johns had a pretty solid plan from how to get from A to B, but no real plan for B to C, so everything up to Blackest Night is pretty solid, then after that it sputters for a while and your enjoyment will vary.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I'm pretty sure that I'll never end up reading the Green Lantern saga simply because it's way too many fuckin' trades to pick up. My only hope is that it's on the DC streaming service whenever that pops up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SMP posted:

I'm pretty sure that I'll never end up reading the Green Lantern saga simply because it's way too many fuckin' trades to pick up. My only hope is that it's on the DC streaming service whenever that pops up.

I would loving love a DC equivalent of Marvel Unlimited, but DC tends to only do smart things when Marvel does dumb things so I'm not holding my breath.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I say read GLC instead of GL of that era. Tomasi and Gleason had a run about good as Batman and Robin and Superman.

Edit: and all the other writers are good too as I remember. Gleason was on there before Tomasi.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 24, 2017

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I'm curious: has anyone ever read the comics that the Men In Black movie was based on? Are they any good?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I say read GLC instead of GL of that era. Tomasi and Gleason had a run about good as Batman and Robin and Superman.

Edit: and all the other writers are good too as I remember. Gleason was on there before Tomasi.

They wants hal specific comics.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
So I've been trying to get back into modern(ish) comics, and the series that I've found and liked so far have all been stuff with "moody" art. I'm way more art-driven than story driven, and I like sketchy, rough-hewn stuff with a lot of atmosphere. Some examples of stuff I'm digging lately:

Karnak

Moon Knight

Mister Miracle

I've also been checking out Daredevil: Back in Black. I would prefer some action-y, Big Two stuff, but honestly always looking to try something else out too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I bet you'd dig Bendis/Maleev's run on Daredevil

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Read anything by Bill Sienkiewicz

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

There's some interesting writing in all three of those too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Definitely try Bendis/Maleev Daredevil, Brubaker/Lark Daredevil (it follows directly after), Fraction/Aja Hawkeye, Fraction/Brubaker/Aja Immortal Iron Fist, and Brubaker/Rucka/Lark Gotham Central.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you're willing to move away from big 2, basically anything Sean Phillips / Brubaker do would fit the bill. Incognito / Sleeper in particular will give you some of that moody superhero stuff you might be looking for. Their other work is generally tackling different genres.

I am a never ending Brubaker shill though.

For the art I'd highly recommend Bill Sienkiewicz, who's done a fair bit of Marvel work.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

If you're willing to move away from big 2, basically anything Sean Phillips / Brubaker do would fit the bill. Incognito / Sleeper in particular will give you some of that moody superhero stuff you might be looking for. Their other work is generally tackling different genres.

I am a never ending Brubaker shill though.

Great ideas, and I thought about recommending them too. Sleeper is my favorite Brubaker/Phillips collaboration, especially as a huge Wildstorm fan. The prequel, Point Blank, by Brubaker and Colin Wilson (who was not as good an artist as Phillips) would also appeal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should probably check out Alias.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

They wants hal specific comics.

He'll be there in the crossovers!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I want to check out the Elric books but I’m a little confused as to how they’re laid out. Was there a relaunch or something?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

How much of The Shadow should I read if I enjoyed Year One and just picked up The Shadow Now? (The writer for Now wrote a moving paean to pulp fiction that was printed in Year One)
There's a big ol' Comixology sale and I want to stock up on The Shadow goodness.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I liked Blood and Judgment, originally published by DC in the mid-'80s when Howard Chaykin was in his prime.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The first 'Batman/Shadow' miniseries (there's another running now called 'The Shadow/Batman') was great.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Get the Andy Helfer written series. Both the Bill Sienkiewicz and Kyle Baker drawn stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Get the Andy Helfer written series. Both the Bill Sienkiewicz and Kyle Baker drawn stuff.

I didn't think to check if that was still in print, but it was an insane, chaotic, fascinating take on the Shadow, especially for a late '80s proto-Vertigo series. Baker has since dismissed it as simple, uninspired work for hire.