Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Frankly, I'm disappointed that this didn't lead to Pascal joining A2 as a sidekick on the "murder all robots" train. I think that the story could have gotten some real mileage out of him as he dealt with his newfound trauma and drive for revenge.

As is, this story beat amounts to "you know those nice characters that we've been playing up as improbably nice? Well they sad-died super sad deaths, aren't you feeling sad now?" What would have been a great launching point for a tragic Pascal arc is just sort of wasted on the non-character that is A2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
What would make anyone think he was at all liable to seek revenge?

Dude seems likely to kill himself if you don’t do it for him (either by wiping his memories and hoping newer Pascal can do better this time, or straight up assissted suicide), and there’s no “try to help him get past his grief at the machine kid suicide bonanza” option.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Not expecting revenge, really. Just briefly thinking of the possibility of making some...questionable decisions. "I must be beautiful" kinds of questionable.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Now that I think on it and after finishing the game, erasing his memories does make a bit more sense thematically, I think. It might be effectively killing him, but since cores still seem to have a semblance of soul left in them, you're still keeping a good person alive in this lovely world, and that is still preferable to killing them. Even if Pascal 2.0 were to repeat the original's mistakes, they would not necessarily lead to the same tragic events, unless Pascal's villages are somehow destined to be facing hordes of zombie machine tanks.

The Dark Id posted:

I felt bad replaying the game just to record doing this. If you actually went with this option, you suck rear end. Go walk into traffic and get hit by a bus you lovely person you. If you’re wondering, Pascal just commits suicide afterwards. Go you...
I just wanted to open the door so Pascal would get some sunlight and fresh air and maybe come fishing for a moment, but no, A2 just had to be a jerk and leave. :(

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Miacis posted:

...unless Pascal's villages are somehow destined to be facing hordes of zombie machine tanks.

:yokotaro:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Miacis posted:

Now that I think on it and after finishing the game, erasing his memories does make a bit more sense thematically, I think. It might be effectively killing him, but since cores still seem to have a semblance of soul left in them, you're still keeping a good person alive in this lovely world, and that is still preferable to killing them. Even if Pascal 2.0 were to repeat the original's mistakes, they would not necessarily lead to the same tragic events, unless Pascal's villages are somehow destined to be facing hordes of zombie machine tanks.

I just wanted to open the door so Pascal would get some sunlight and fresh air and maybe come fishing for a moment, but no, A2 just had to be a jerk and leave. :(

On the one hand, we have Anemone, who went through amazingly horrible poo poo repeatedly and managed to hold on much better than might be expected.

On the other, 9S.

...Yeah, I can see the argument for memory erasure.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

GeneX posted:

What would make anyone think he was at all liable to seek revenge?

Dude seems likely to kill himself if you don’t do it for him (either by wiping his memories and hoping newer Pascal can do better this time, or straight up assissted suicide), and there’s no “try to help him get past his grief at the machine kid suicide bonanza” option.

Don't get me wrong, Pascal offing himself in the face of that tragedy is a decent story beat and totally in character for him. I just feel like there's a lot more that could have been done with him. Why might Pascal seek revenge, you ask? Maybe he could decide that he couldn't stand destroying the last memories of his treasured family, and resolve to investigate just why in the hell the machine network is full of such assholes. Maybe he could get a pep talk FROM THE ANDROID STANDING NEXT TO HIM THAT PERSONALLY SURVIVED TO SEEK REVENGE ON ALL MACHINES BECAUSE THEY MURDERED ALL HER FRIENDS.

Mostly I just want to see more of our best boy, and am kind of salty that he didn't get a terribly in-depth character arc.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I knew poo poo was coming.

I knew Pascal's Village couldn't possibly last.

I had read all of TDI's threads up to this point.

I knew Yoko Taro was at maximum :yokotaro: power.

I knew I was in for heartbreak.

I still was not ready. :qq:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bufuman posted:

I knew poo poo was coming.

I knew Pascal's Village couldn't possibly last.

I had read all of TDI's threads up to this point.

I knew I was in for heartbreak.

I still was not ready. :qq:

Look at it this way

It can't get any worse

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Killing the kids off and explaining it with a concept not introduced until after the fact felt pretty weak to me. Props for doing something different with the suicide from not being equipped to handle fear thing, I suppose.

The Pascal choice and it's effects were much more powerful, so I guess it works as a setup for the choice.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

Look at it this way

It can't get any worse

We both know that phrase is blood in the water for a Taro Yoko game. Whatever happens next is your fault.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, at least Pascal got to do a very cool thing before Yoko Taro drove on by and ruined everythingrestored things to normal. On the flip side, we didn't have to put Pascal out of his misery via a boss fight. So...call it even, kinda?

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did we ever really expect a happy ending for the machine children with Yoko-Taro at the helm?
:golfclap: Yoko Taro games eventually get to the point where they feel like a long, cruelly drawn out joke about anything you thought was nice in the world.

...And that's why we love it.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

exploded mummy posted:

Look at it this way

It can't get any worse

let's not kid ourselves

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Ixjuvin posted:

let's not kid ourselves

A2, 9S, their pods, Anemone, Jackass and Emil are all still alive, after all. Let's see how long that lasts.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

exploded mummy posted:

Look at it this way

It can't get any worse

Ha.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Miacis posted:

Now that I think on it and after finishing the game, erasing his memories does make a bit more sense thematically, I think. It might be effectively killing him, but since cores still seem to have a semblance of soul left in them, you're still keeping a good person alive in this lovely world, and that is still preferable to killing them.

It also makes the most sense thematically because wiping someone's memories, especially a little cinnamon roll like Pascal, is like creating a child. And what is a child in this world but more grist for the mill?

This decision is such a good part of the game and really brings to a point a lot of the things the game has been saying over and over to you about how wiping memories creates a new person, and making it absolutely clear that the cycle of violence and tragedy will continue forever. Not just because machines don't learn and it's been thousands of years of this poo poo (and that's not just a random number, it's a random HUGE number), but because it's such a low point in the story too. It's not easy to punt to blind hope and optimism.

Sindai posted:

And people thought a world of machines and androids would stop Yoko Taro from finding children to murder.

I settled on this as the best explanation for why YorRHa dresses the way they do. It's a giant neon sign reading CHILDREN, that's pointing at A2 and 9S in the player's face the whole game. I wrote it off as gross anime stuff, which it partially is, but once it sunk in that this was a Yoko Taro game it eventually clicked.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bufuman posted:

How do you know this? I've seen this episode of Dragon Ball Z. He's still powering up.

exploded mummy posted:

It can't get any worse

And now Namek is going to explode in 5 minutes, thanks a lot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

Oh, good. We still have plenty of time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

FeyerbrandX posted:

It was already going to do that, all because the guy who knew the secret to keeping Namek from exploding mouthed off to Caim Vegeta instead of saying "Seriously, don't do this one very simple thing. If you do the planet will explode 15 minutes later". Which of course Vegeta proceeded to do 10 minutes ago.

We're just learning about the planet exploding now is all, and we won't learn why it exploded until 5 minutes after it goes off.

Tune in next time for more Taro-Ball Z!

Edit:
Pascal edited their personalities without knowing what he was doing and caused a kernal panic.
\/\/\/\/

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So I may have misread things but did they children kill themselves out of terror of the advancing robot hoard, or from seeing their uncle, teacher, and leader abandon his principals and transform into a hulking murder godzilla?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I went for mindwipe. It struck me as basically the same thing that happened to 9S after the tutorial; he'll boot up, be basically the same person, but with no memories of anything that happened since he broke off from the network. He won't be "our" Pascal, but he'll be Pascal all the same, and he can try again. Current Pascal doesn't have the strength to try again. Dead Pascal can't try again. It was the only option that could conceivably lead to a peaceful machine village full of happy white flag-waving children again.

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.

Ixjuvin posted:

let's not kid ourselves
They already committed suicide. We're not going to kid anyone anymore.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Since there's no option to comfort Pascal, the game has essentially distilled this down to a binary choice: harm Pascal or do not harm Pascal. Murdering Pascal and wiping Pascal's memories are the options for harming him and walking away is the option for not harming him. Thus walking away is the only morally justifiable choice. If you think otherwise, then you don't actually see the machines as people; you see them as things that act like people.

If someone you knew had their entire family killed, would you murder them if they asked you to? Or wipe their memories? I highly doubt it.

Wiping his memory is the truly morally reprehensible choice for a number of reasons. Wiping someone's memories is no different from killing them. We are our memories. When our memories are gone, so are we. You're creating a completely new person in place of the old. And if Pascal doesn't remember the villagers, it's almost like they never existed in the first place. Someone who cared for them needs to be around to remember them.

Furthermore, if Pascal's memories are wiped, then he won't have learned from the multiple mistakes he made that had a part in leading up to this point. So he's likely to repeat history by building another village of peaceful machines that will also get slaughtered horribly. In fact, if he asks this readily for his memories to be wiped... has this happened before? How many times? Is this a cycle for him? How many previous villages has he created only to have them brutally wiped out and then had someone wipe his memory.

You are a terrible person if you wipe his memory. :colbert:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
If you favor pacifism in the middle of Yoko Taro hellscape you'd better be dead, got it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

jyrque posted:

If you favor pacifism in the middle of Yoko Taro hellscape you'd better be dead, got it.

Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never-ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle...and wonder if we'll ever get the chance to kill him.

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Probably what it boils down to, at least for me, is what remains after the choice.

1) a mind wiped Pascal. We actually don't know much about Pascal from his being in the network. Possibly he was intrinsically a good person-bot, or maybe something kickstarted that development after his disconnect. Some stimuli that he'd miss this time around. But I'd think he'd try to be helpful, even if it was doomed to failure. And in my book, "OK person who kind of sort of looks like Pascal" is preferable to just killing him and getting nothing. But you're still effectively killing the original. And that's pretty lovely to do to a friend.
2) Dead Pascal. Well, at least he wouldn't have to deal with the grief. And he did ask for that. Still, you're killing a good person. As opposed to those hordes of faceless murderbots, possessed allies, and ambiguously-gay sort of brothers. Still pretty awful.
3) Grief Machine. Best case scenario, we get some Pheonix-style "rebirth from the ashes" stuff. More likely, he breaks. Hurts other people because he doesn't understand why the world continues to hurt. Kills himself because he just cannot deal with ANY of this, let alone all of it. Taking this option and leaving him to his own devices (heh) is possibly going to hurt him the worst, and might churn out another mini boss, who would probably hurt others before you (or someone) kill him anyway.

This being a video game, 4) Talk to Pascal is not among the choices. You can't be a supportive person for this guy. You can't make The Pascal Center For Bots Who Can't Pacifism Good. You can't just wait, like a week, let him mourn everything he has known and loved, so that it at least takes the edge off. And let's be honest, A2 isn't exactly a therapist. I'm not even sure that profession exists in Taropia. So we just have the three options.

None of the options are good, at least to Pascal. At least with mind wiped Pascal, you'd (maybe) have an extra someone who might rebuild. That's what I'd pick. But it's still awful.

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

I wonder if there's a multiplayer game where you get pitted against some horrible poo poo, and you can't really win, just lose the least? That might be "fun".

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

jonsicoli posted:

I wonder if there's a multiplayer game where you get pitted against some horrible poo poo, and you can't really win, just lose the least? That might be "fun".

WoW, GW 2 or any other MMORPG? No matter how many times you kill the goblins terrorizing the countryside, the dragon razing surrounding cities or demon lord trying to destroy the world, they are back at it days, hours or in some cases literally minutes later. "Perpetually trapped in a never-ending spiral of life and death" is a good way to describe the world of most MMORPGs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Remember the good old days where all we were doing was collecting stickers at the theme park while watching Romeos and Juliets, chatting about T-Shirts and not having to deal with how to end a perfect boy's misery in the most ethical manner?

Good times... excluding the whole fighting the 14th World War and having to kill deserters without explanation bit.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This entire conversation about the moral ramifications of how to handle Pascal's request is one of the reasons why Yoko Taro's games are so drat special. They really take advantage of the medium and force you to confront things in a way no other medium is really capable of.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

...! posted:

Wiping someone's memories is no different from killing them. We are our memories. When our memories are gone, so are we.

That is total bullshit. Memories are an important component of personhood but by no means the be all and end all. Ever spent much time around a person with dementia? Thought not.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wiping a robot's memories back to a completely clean slate and having dementia aren't really comparable, nor is it something I think Taro would ever consider writing as an analogue to it.

Dementia's a hosed up illness that only takes parts of your memories away, it'd probably be better if it were something that took absolutely everything. poo poo's cruel as gently caress.

Flicking a switch to wipe a robot's memory banks isn't even close to the same league.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

...! posted:

Since there's no option to comfort Pascal, the game has essentially distilled this down to a binary choice: harm Pascal or do not harm Pascal.

You haven't distilled enough: This is a choice about how you're going to harm Pascal. There is no option to not harm Pascal. Abandoning someone begging for death is an option that also causes harm.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

jonsicoli posted:

The Secret World/Secret World Legends mentions pretty much constantly in various cutscenes and dialogue that all your actions are pretty much for naught and that humanity is pretty much hosed anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

jonsicoli posted:

Closest thing to that is called Missile Command for the Atari. It's singleplayer tho, so again, 'closest'.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jonsicoli posted:

Any Mario Party prior to 9 :v:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Closest thing to that is called Missile Command for the Atari. It's singleplayer tho, so again, 'closest'.

Yeah Missile Command, Robotron, Space Invaders all those old classics.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

jonsicoli posted:

DEFCON. Nuclear annihilation is inevitable, diplomacy is guaranteed to break down, and the game even uses the phrase "you just have to make sure you lose the least" in the marketing blurb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sonic Shuffle

• Locked thread