Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Evidently there is no loving depth to how goddamn stupid slavery as a concept is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The gently caress did they do when the rivers flooded if they couldn't dig earthworks?

How the gently caress does THE GODDAMN SOUTH not believe in earthworks?

In 1860 it was really only New Orleans that had a well developed levee system. In fact most of the Mississippi valley was only lightly inhabited and large scale settlement only really started after the homestead act. As they had in most places throughout history most Americans just prayed there wouldn’t be a flood, and if there was they were ruined.

It’s kind of weird to think about it but just about every major city on earth from Rome to Tokyo flooded regularly before the 19th century. People just accepted it or didn’t even understand the risk.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

fantastic in plastic posted:

There was a scheme to relocate Southerners to Brazil which suffered because many of them had no idea how to work, or had generations of strongly-held beliefs that physical labor was for colored folks and thus beneath whites. (The Wikipedia article says that they "became known for hard work" but that's only true of the ones who remained for a long period rather than most, who quickly gave up and went back to take their chances with Reconstruction.)

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if there were still Southern men who hold this belief in some form.

quote:

Some dishes of the American South were also adopted in general Brazilian culture, such as chess pie, vinegar pie, southern fried chicken,[2] and Texas caviar (known as salada de feijão-fradinho in Portuguese).

quote:

Texas caviar was created in the U.S. state of Texas around 1940 by Helen Corbitt, a native New Yorker who later became director of food service for the Zodiac Room at Neiman Marcus in Dallas, Texas.[3][4]

Hmm!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OwlFancier posted:

The gently caress did they do when the rivers flooded if they couldn't dig earthworks?

How the gently caress does THE GODDAMN SOUTH not believe in earthworks?

The Goddamn South today has laws against official planning considering sea level rises and poo poo like that, are oyu really surprised their great-great-grandfathers would ignore similar things?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So I asked a question a while ago about mapping antiquity and I understand that it's not like proper borders were really a thing in the anarchic fringes of Rome in the 5th century, but I got another question about borders along the anarchic fringes of Rome in the 5th century.

The location of the Ostrogoths here is a location I've seen reproduced a lot. The Ostrogoths are always shown as occupying Pannonia and some blurry edge of Dalmatia in the 470s.

But! I just re-read Herwig Wolfram's History of the Goths, and Thomas Burns A History of the Ostrogoths. Those works are a little dated at this point, but for figuring out locations and dates I figure they're still fine. The specific thing I was looking for and what stuck out was that both of them said that Theoderic the Amal's Ostrogoths were operating out of Novae in the 470s, which is way east off along the Danube in modern Bulgaria.

Wolfram and Burns also describe how the Amal Ostrogoths were given grants in inland Macedonia by Leo shortly before his death, and by the time Zeno was able reclaim Constantinople from Basiliscus a few years later the Ostrogoths had given up on the Macedonian land grants and had moved east west to Epirus Nova and up to Epidaurum.

Novae in yellow, rough location of Leo's grants to the Ostrogoths in magenta, and 'Here Be Ostrogoths' on maps of the 470s in red.

What's bugging me is that all that action is not anywhere near where maps plop the Ostrogoths. Did the Ostrogoths have effective control all the way up to Aquincum and the fringes of Noricum anyways? If the Ostrogoths weren't up in Pannonia then, who was? Was it just wild anarchy?

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 24, 2017

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

fishmech posted:

The Goddamn South today has laws against official planning considering sea level rises and poo poo like that, are oyu really surprised their great-great-grandfathers would ignore similar things?

America’s most smartest boy everybody.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Squalid posted:

America’s most smartest boy everybody.

He's right though:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/north-carolina-bans-latest-science-rising-sea-level/story?id=16913782

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Guildencrantz posted:

They also had a bunch of ideas that are surprisingly close to modern sensibilities, probably owing to their general prosperity and food security. Like thinking that infanticide is horrible or that women are people. Too bad they were too isolationist to really influence other civilizations.

I guess the Libyans , Canaanites and Nubians were thoroughly influenced at various times ...except for the 25th dynasty when the Nubians influenced them back, but then everybody got influenced by the Assyrians right afterwards, so maybe it doesn't count.

There was also that psychopathic Pharaoh from the 18th dynasty. He just loved killing people and taking their stuff, so after doing that in and around his borders he decided to march off to conquer Syria, and ended up having to supply the army by looting everything on the way and turning the entire country against him. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thutmose_I

His scribes left accounts of how everyone got nervous when they encountered rain ,"A Nile in the sky" ,and rivers that flowed south instead of north, "Inverted Niles" , and forests ,"cedar that reaches to the sky".

The whole thing was such a boondoggle that once they finished conquering Syria they just put up a stele on the banks of the Euphrates , then turned around and went back home. We have still have an account of it, written by Ahmose, a guy who survived it:

quote:

"The campaign was to slake his desire throughout the foreign lands"

"Come , let me relate to you his journey to Khor and his marching upon the hills. His rations and his water are upon his shoulder like the load of an rear end , while his neck has been made a backbone like that of an rear end. The vertebrae of his back are broken, while he drinks foul water. He stops work only to keep watch."

"I acted on behalf of the King of Upper and Lower Egypt when I captured for him, in the land of Naharin, twenty one hands, and a horse, and a chariot.

Thutmose ordered his soldiers to cut hands off bodies to bring back proof, Ahmose got to keep the hands as trophies, Thutmose took the horse and chariot ; now here's a bit from when they just pack up everything and leave

quote:

"He proceeds to return to Egypt, and he is like a stick which the worm has devoured, he is sick, prostration overtakes him. He is brought back upon an rear end, his clothes taken away by theft"

Another weird thing about that family; Thutmose was married to his cousin Mutnofret, and his sister Ahmose (not the Ahmose from the story, it's just a really popular name.)

Cousin/wife Mutnofret has a son, Thutmose II, and sister/wife Ahmose has a daughter, Hatshepsut. The problem is that his cousin/wife Mutnofret isn't fully royal, so their son Thutmose II has to marry his fully royal sister Hatshepsut to secure his claim, but then Thutmose II dies young and Hatshepsut just keeps ruling as a Pharoah.

Read up on the 18th dynasty, they're all amazing. Especially once all the incest starts catching up to them with Ahmenotep IV. Also known as Akhenaten / The Heretic / That Criminal.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 24, 2017

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

[quote="“Stringent”" post="“478684653”"]
He’s right though:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/north-carolina-bans-latest-science-rising-sea-level/story?id=16913782
[/quote]

This has nothing to do with the long history of flood management in the American south.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

This has nothing to do with the long history of flood management in the American south.
i'm a fan of this article
every one of these intelligent, resourceful people are southerners
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1987/02/23/atchafalaya

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Southerners are so racist and dumb haha, unlike other americans who are smart and not racist

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Being a southerner is now a frame of mind not where you are from.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The divide nowadays is urban/rural, not north/south so much. But anyway that's modern.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Squalid posted:

It's exactly the same sort of stupidity Confederate leadership had, lol.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Southerners are so racist and dumb haha, unlike other americans who are smart and not racist

look it's okay to still be sore about carthage

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Some of it had to do with the soldiers not wanting to do physical labor (because that's what slaves are for), but part of it was the feeling that trenches and defensive positions were cowardly and unmanly. The soldiers were there to fight, not hide, and the general ahold be taking the fight to the enemy, not just sitting there and hiding in ditches while the enemy came at them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Apparently a 3,000 year old fortress has been found underneath Lake Van: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/underwater-fortress-urartu-lake-van-turkey-archaeology-video-spd/

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I wonder how the milhist thread would react to these sweeping statements

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Who would win, a roman cohort or a single tank destroyer with a supply of fuel and ammo?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 25, 2017

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

SEA PEOPLE!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah when I read "underwater fortress" I can't help but think, like, Rl'yeh playing dominions or something.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Who would win, a roman cohort or a single tank destroyer with a supply of fuel and ammo?

What the heck is a tank destroyer supposed to do with infantry? They usually don't even have turrets. Roman cohort wins easily.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Being absolutely immune to the enemy's weapons means the tank destroyer probably wins, but the Romans can always dig a big tiger trap and bait the tank into it. That, or they realize they cannot possibly win in close combat and build earthworks around the whole thing and then flood them. Trust the Romans to use a navigable river as a weapon if it was possible.

As always, it comes down to the people operating the technology.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Couldn’t the Romans just run around in circles until the tank destroyer runs out of gas

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cohort could throw helmets full of dirt on to the engine compartment grills until it overheats.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Tank destroyers often didn't even have roofs, and they don't carry a weapon capable of significantly damaging non-armored targets. Best case scenario they are carrying HE ammo (which would be completely atypical, because they never did) and could lob explosives at advancing enemy infantry formations and then run away. But it wouldn't be able to defend a supply depot. Any attached cavalry would easily hunt down a lone tank destroyer. Realistically tank destroyers lose regardless of what kind of infantry/cavalry they're facing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The tank destroyer will destroy the cohort, and the Romans will just keep raising more cohorts to throw at the problem until the tank destroyer eventually breaks down.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kaal posted:

What the heck is a tank destroyer supposed to do with infantry? They usually don't even have turrets. Roman cohort wins easily.

just climb onto the thing and throw something on fire into any available hole

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How does the tank destroyer get to the Roman army in the first place?

There's something mighty strange about this I tell you what.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mean, realistically speaking they're gonna lose a lot of lives before they figure out the capabilities and weaknesses of this strange machine. Harder to say whether the number of lost lives adds up to a full cohort though

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How much toilet paper did the tank crew bring?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
So how long after they steal it do the Romans figure out they have pretty much the ultimate siege machine? Assuming this time traveling tank destroyer somehow runs on roman wine instead of gas.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They have 30 shots with a gun designed to poke holes in eight inch steel plates.

So never.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Kaal posted:

Tank destroyers often didn't even have roofs, and they don't carry a weapon capable of significantly damaging non-armored targets. Best case scenario they are carrying HE ammo (which would be completely atypical, because they never did) and could lob explosives at advancing enemy infantry formations and then run away. But it wouldn't be able to defend a supply depot. Any attached cavalry would easily hunt down a lone tank destroyer. Realistically tank destroyers lose regardless of what kind of infantry/cavalry they're facing.

Tank destroyers usually have machine guns, and relatively often had HE shells, what with use of American ones as ersatz artillery in Italy and against fortifications where the added accuracy of a higher velocity shell was useful.

Real weapons of war aren't rock paper scissors units.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A caravel and a team of skilled builders to show them how to manufacture the various beams would have been neato on the other hand.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

They have 30 shots with a gun designed to poke holes in eight inch steel plates.

So never.

You misunderstand, I dont mean they shoot a target, that is too technical. Just ram the gates repeatedly, maybe paint a scary face on it or erect a giant statue of Mars or Augustus on it.

This is very important to my rpg setting currently under development*

*it will never actually exist

Kaal
May 22, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Tank destroyers usually have machine guns, and relatively often had HE shells, what with use of American ones as ersatz artillery in Italy and against fortifications where the added accuracy of a higher velocity shell was useful.

Real weapons of war aren't rock paper scissors units.

Actually it was only late in WWII that tank destroyers started mounting machine gun pintles and carrying HE ammo. It was part of the general trend toward converting the mobile gun design into more and more tank-like vehicles. The Americans were in the lead of this trend, and their tank destroyers were the most multiroled (with partial roofs, machine gun pintles, and decent armor). So sure, if we're talking about the most updated version of the tank destroyer then they'd be able to defend themselves just as well as anyone with a Browning Machine Gun, but the tank destroyer part would be totally superfluous to that effort.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 25, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Not impressed. Call me when they find a fort under Lake Hatchback.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Don Gato posted:

You misunderstand, I dont mean they shoot a target, that is too technical. Just ram the gates repeatedly, maybe paint a scary face on it or erect a giant statue of Mars or Augustus on it.

This is very important to my rpg setting currently under development*

*it will never actually exist

Well it doesn't have a roof so your crew gets shot to death with arrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

i brought this for you guys whenver you're feelin sad about egypt