Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
[quote="« WeAreTheRomans »" post="« 477269743 »"]
they did all three
[/quote]

True but I'd rather they didn't cut the tax and just spent/saved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

julian assflange posted:

True but I'd rather they didn't cut the tax and just spent/saved.

I think most reasonable people would agree. Infrastructure spending and services have been starved for a decade, they badly need to recover. And they benefit everyone in the country. Most polls showed the electorate in general favoured spending increases over tax cuts too.

This new, even more right-wing than usual, FG however left to their own devices would probably have just drastically reduced the upper rate of tax. So that the "squeezed middle" of "people who get up every morning" who earn far in excess of the median income could have more disposable income. Those truly suffering in society, you know?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Examiner started off one of their summary articles with «Hard working families », further cementing its rag status

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How are people reacting to the incoming hurricane?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=751179211749472&id=339089842958413

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kurtofan posted:

How are people reacting to the incoming hurricane?

I’m not reacting to it as the weather has been poo poo anyway, OP

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to make shitloads of unnecessary journeys

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I cycle to work so I’ll probably have to wear a coat tomorrow or something. Will be windy during the middle of the day I think

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

julian assflange posted:

I cycle to work so I’ll probably have to wear a coat tomorrow or something. Will be windy during the middle of the day I think

Better call my mam in Cork to bring in the lawn gnomes for the night

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My wife’s work have told her to work from home tomorrow. Maybe there is something to this....

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
UCC is shut too.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Red alert folks. Stay safe.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Entropy238 posted:

Red alert folks. Stay safe.

no

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

hope you get blown away now you bollocks

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Entropy238 posted:

Thanks hun xoxo

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Entropy238 posted:

This

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/spiderbundy/status/919837121346768896

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lol

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Fierce windy

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Thought you were up North?

e: me Ma says its a "bit gusty" in Cork but " i remember back in the 60's when it was so bad cars were sent flying like in "back to the future"" . sounds class

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Thought you were up North?

Derry so technically we are in the path from about noon, won't be getting quite the battering as Kerry but considering we lost a couple of bridges earlier this year from the NW flooding a lot of people are playing it safe.

P much half the city is closing by the sounds of it

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Donald claims we are dropping our corporate tax rate http://www.thejournal.ie/corporation-tax-trump-ireland-3649969-Oct2017/

:pwn: (in general)

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Is it time to sound the auld election siren?

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/933767119703027718

Haven't gone as far as saying they will vote in favour of the no confidence motion SF tabled today but are threatening to table their own if she's not sacked/resigned by next week.

Does Leo want to see this off to the other side of the year or bite the bullet and go for a (cold) snap election?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
I think she'll be forced to resign internally by FG. I don't think either of FF/FG want an election so soon, especially an almost unheard of one in mid/late December.

Leo isn't going to want to go to the polls over this because it paints FG in a very bad light. It would become the dominant issue of the election cycle. But FF also probably want to wait another few months to see if Leo's good-PR-bounce wears off, and to let them engage in more fund-raising.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/933831694511149056

Leo backs her.

FF tabling their own motion shortly...

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Flanagan interrupted the Dáil and accused Alan Kelly of launching a 'smear campaign' by asking which officials knew about the attacks on McCabe. (15 Nov)

Now we know Flanagan was one of those officials who knew??

This is all really funny. There's a real Streisand effect with this McCabe stuff.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Its a scandal that just keeps slowly chugging along, this like what year 3 now?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Also as per the examiner, Coveney being p blunt

quote:

Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney has confirmed that if Fianna Fáil tables a threatened motion of no confidence in Frances Fitzgerald, the confidence and supply agreement that underpins the Government is over.

However, Minister Coveney said Fine Gael does not want, and the country does not need, a general election.

Fianna Fáil is due to table its motion this morning, for discussion on Tuesday.

Speaking on Morning Ireland, Minister Coveney said: "If (Fianna Fáil) move ahead with the no-confidence motion, the confidence and supply agreement is over."

He said he was involved in drafting the confidence and supply agreement with FiannaFáil and "they (Fianna Fáil) made a very clear commitment that they would not be supporting motions of no confidence in individual Ministers.

"You can't have the main opposition deciding who can be a Minister and who can't be, and have a credible Government."

He added: "If there is no confidence and supply agreement in place between Fianna fáil and Fine Gael, I don't see how we can have a government that can function."

So if Fitzgerald doesn't resign its all hosed, Leo isn't going to sack her and admit weakness by the sound of it, if Martin backs down at the 11th hour I would expect a heave against him in FF.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

There's no way they'll do an election before christmas right? That will suck major shite.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I had to look it up because I forgot that the initial whistleblowing incident wasn't the GSOC bugging scandal but rather the thing over penalty point systems abuse.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

lemonadesweetheart posted:

There's no way they'll do an election before christmas right? That will suck major shite.

Probably early January - the Brexit thing is coming up on the 14th and then there's the whole Christmas thing to get over.

A successful no confidence motion won't immediately trigger a dissolution but without the confidence and supply agreement with FF the government is on death watch and FG may not be able to/want to keep things chugging along until spring (which is supposedly the preferred date for both parties before the latest revelations)

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

kustomkarkommando posted:

Probably early January - the Brexit thing is coming up on the 14th and then there's the whole Christmas thing to get over.

A successful no confidence motion won't immediately trigger a dissolution but without the confidence and supply agreement with FF the government is on death watch and FG may not be able to/want to keep things chugging along until spring (which is supposedly the preferred date for both parties before the latest revelations)

I'm genuinely amazed it lasted as long as it did.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I wonder if this would speed up Adams timetable - if there's an election in Jan are they sending him to the leaders debates?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I remember listening to someone on RTÉ talking about how little legislation is being passed right now under this supply/confidence deal, including legislation for the marriage ref.

If it's true then maybe we need an election sooner than later, seeing as SF are willing to go into coalition, so we can have a proper coalition gov.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

I remember listening to someone on RTÉ talking about how little legislation is being passed right now under this supply/confidence deal, including legislation for the marriage ref.

If it's true then maybe we need an election sooner than later, seeing as SF are willing to go into coalition, so we can have a proper coalition gov.

The FF ard fheis voted by significant margin to reject any coalition with SF though (and I doubt an FG coalition is in the cards) - you could say that if it'd be the difference between power and no power they might budge but with the continued situation up here in the North pro-coalition forces in FF may find the timing a bit off.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I thought the timing with the gov. getting hard on the UK re the brexit border issues before SF's sudden amenability to coalition was maybe a signal that some kind of coalition with FG might be possible.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'm not sure an FG coalition would be palatable for their voters.

FF, maybe? The blue shirts may be a push

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

FF/SF is way more likely than FG/SF. Both would be poo poo though.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Well FF have lodged their own no confidence motion for next Tuesday (meaning they get to skip out awkwardly supporting SFs)

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/934018118782980096

Some chatter now from unnamed FG heads that as far as they are concerned the confidence and supply agreement as dead as this is a violation of the clause stipulating FF are not to support no confidence motions in any minister and ultimately the vote is immaterial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

khwarezm posted:

I don't remember it being particularly negative. The worst stuff I'd hear from people like my dad, who in principle had no problem with gay marriage, complain that the campaign was being hijacked by Sinn Fein (yes, before anyone says anything I heard a lot about "those murdering bastards!" when I was growing up). I believe only one county overall voted against it.

The Abortion referendum will be far more divisive.
gently caress you.

The Marriage Equality referendum was absolutely loving horrible, and I never want to be put through anything like that again.

(e: Sorry but it was really bad)

Came in here to have a lol about a possible Christmas election.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/934069498910576640

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/934012830038282240

ireland.txt

e: not seeing that last point being mentioned anywhere else, kinda sounds like bullshit.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 24, 2017

• Locked thread