Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

KayTee posted:

I have been seeing this word more frequently as of late. It has about it the strange air of a meme I have not yet caught on to...

It’s related to vaporwave culture so it’s a like 6 or 7 years old meme at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

watho posted:

It’s related to vaporwave culture so it’s a like 6 or 7 years old meme at this point

The roots of the meme are at least 10 years old now, but this is like the third wave of rehashes and it's devolved into youtube mixes for highschoolers

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Contra just released a new video about violence.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmsoVFCUN3Q&feature=push-u-sub&attr_tag=YOx0QTJycxYrSqE2-6
Contra on on violence. With Lindsay Ellis!!!
I would love to see someone talk about how so many women (especially women who have themselves been victims of sexual violence) enjoy watching the SVU and other crime shows. And are women more attracted to true crime because of a greater empathy learned from often feeling small and victimized or is it a way for us to enjoy violence and the macabre in a way that is more socially accepted for them by society. And Tabby proceeds to be my fav.
Also, I really want a Bloody Mary now and I don't even like them.

Beat^^

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
LOL

https://twitter.com/yosonimbord/status/934081287006162944

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/934081712832868353

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You don't actually care about gambling you just want to kill this particular form of gambling

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

endolithic posted:

Also the more I hear the more it seems like internet advertising is a massive scam but it's keeping everyone's lights on so whatever?

I could see the next social media crash being a product of YouTubeKids and the attention on troll bots on facebook/twitter/everywhere else and companies realize that 75% of their advertising is directed at toddlers or bots. I'm pretty sure it's why YouTube has such lousy content filtering options: if they set up a filter for under 6, they'd lose millions of ad hits by marketers not wanting to show their products there, so toddlers get to be a huge portion of eyeballs.

Sites design around bots inflating follower/view counts. Like instagram, where it's easy to see people who are following you, but hard to notice when someone has unfollowed you, making it easy for the standard media bot thing of "follow, wait for you to follow back, then unfollow and hope you don't notice". It would be really easy to add "this person isn't following you back anymore" to their interface, but they won't do it, because it makes it easy to spot.

The sites are ignoring it because, well, "engagement" numbers sell ads. Facebook almost got reamed for it a few years ago but that went away, and the more recent one is less over fake accounts, more over shady ads. Twitter might eventually have to face their bot problem, however.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I don't get it. Are people comparing Jim's lootbox hate to the Net Neutrality repeal? Because the abuse of the lootbox concept as seen recently is pretty comparable to what ISPs free from Net Neutrality regulations might think of.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spark That Bled posted:

I don't get it. Are people comparing Jim's lootbox hate to the Net Neutrality repeal? Because the abuse of the lootbox concept as seen recently is pretty comparable to what ISPs free from Net Neutrality regulations might think of.

It's just people trying to own each other by conjuring the most powerful nerd totems they can

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It's just people trying to own each other by conjuring the most powerful nerd totems they can

That is the spirit of twitter

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sarcopenia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmsoVFCUN3Q&feature=push-u-sub&attr_tag=YOx0QTJycxYrSqE2-6
Contra on on violence. With Lindsay Ellis!!!
I would love to see someone talk about how so many women (especially women who have themselves been victims of sexual violence) enjoy watching the SVU and other crime shows. And are women more attracted to true crime because of a greater empathy learned from often feeling small and victimized or is it a way for us to enjoy violence and the macabre in a way that is more socially accepted for them by society. And Tabby proceeds to be my fav.
Also, I really want a Bloody Mary now and I don't even like them.

Beat^^

Some say it’s a way of confronting the random horror of life on Earth, not so different from what some people get out of horror generally, only particular to the sexual violence that is obviously particular to the lives of women but also endlessly denied and hidden away in the rest of the culture. It may also not be particularly gendered at all, in that lots of men are interested in serial killers and all that poo poo but nobody notices when men watch SVU (I am a man and I have watched SVU for the majority of the time I’ve been alive).

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Nuebot posted:

Well, I'm out of Shaun videos and now I'm sad. How often does he usually update?

You're in luck, Shaun just uploaded a new video about the idiots' eyerolling attempts to create drama about Cuphead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-P9_oUV9Gw

loving lol AlphaOmegaSin's still around. jfc.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just finished that video, it's actually really good and enlightening as someone who scoffed at the initial "cuphead is racist" allegations, also the sick burn on liberalism at the end is really good.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

Dude's rant there was so puzzling because I have a pretty SJWy and gamery online social circle but the only discussion of Cuphead I've seen has been the thing about drawing that one guy as a white dude and then various iterations of Cuphead calling people triple gay.

So like, if you're seeing so much of that content and it upsets you... maybe prune your social media? Quit following whoever it is who's made it their mission to track down Bad Opinions and share them? But I guess that might make it hard to put out regular videos vagueposting about some random hot takes.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

As much as no-one should really care about the videos of a stupid airhead like AlphaOmegaSin beyond getting an insight on how to carefully position your games in your shot so it looks like you've got a massive l33t as gently caress collection, it's not like I didn't see a bunch of the usual Twitter folks being like "Hmmm really makes you think that Studio MDHR should have been more woke" when it came to that one Cuphead article, after all that's obviously why it got a dumb retweet on Kotaku in the first place.

(Disclaimer: I have not watched the video, it's very late, I make no guarantees about watching it, I don't know if this is a part of Shaun's video, I don't know anything, I do things on YouTube, please give me your money)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SteelMentor posted:

You're in luck, Shaun just uploaded a new video about the idiots' eyerolling attempts to create drama about Cuphead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-P9_oUV9Gw

A very fun listen, I always like the bits where he goes into detail about how no one reads.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That was the entire point of the think piece, that they should be more aware. Not that they're bad, or racist, or that no one should play Cuphead, just that them saying 'well we obviously didn't want to have any golliwogs in it' as their example of being aware of the racist history was a surface level one that ignores the history of the genre as a whole.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

SteelMentor posted:

How the gently caress is he still a thing?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Testekill posted:

How the gently caress is he still a thing?

A lot of gaming folks on the internet want YouTubers to get mad at the Essjaydubs and AOS fulfills that wish.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
THE SOY BOY DIET: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MS0TrsI7rE

quote:

When i took brainforce i thought i was going to have a heart attack, and then the diarrhea started.

I tried to return the product but they were rude and ignored me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Behind Mark Hammil and a catgirl ain't a bad place to be, bomber

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I watched this video immediately ...as soon as the diarrhea wore off.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
As someone prone to vegetarian jags and all I'm genuinely curious to hear how the soy meat is, always looking for decent stuff there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Where do I sign up to be a SOYentist in SOY FranSOYsco?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Also, Hbomb, if you want to extract meaningful data from your first weigh-in, you can just weigh the camera and subtract from the total! :science:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The thing that gets me the most about PJW is how shrimpy and twinky he looks. He is the least masculine man I have ever seen that isn't actively trying to look androgynous or feminine. What does he think soy is doing to men, changing them into him?

If someone told me he was a woman with fake stubble I would 100% believe you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

The thing that gets me the most about PJW is how shrimpy and twinky he looks. He is the least masculine man I have ever seen that isn't actively trying to look androgynous or feminine. What does he think soy is doing to men, changing them into him?

The alt-right is driven by self-loathing as much as it is by a loathing of others, so... probably? Now excuse me as I go slam back a bottle of my diarrhea blackout seizure brain pills :piaa:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Terrible Opinions posted:

To be fair, there's not a lot of protein in an all book diet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SteelMentor posted:

To be fair, there's not a lot of protein in an all book diet.

Haha you think he eats books just because he explicitly said he eats books. You dumb soycuck, prison Paul got us again

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

I soy can't wait to hear the results of the diet.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

HBomb, please have Lindsay or Contra film the followup video pretending to be you insisting nothing significant changed. TIA

darkpool
Aug 4, 2014

Still laughing at the "contains: soy" bit more than an hour later.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Linear Zoetrope posted:

HBomb, please have Lindsay or Contra film the followup video pretending to be you insisting nothing significant changed. TIA

Yeah, stare dead-eyed at the camera, occasionally fumbling a sentence and looking in a panic off to the side, as if reading something.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, stare dead-eyed at the camera, occasionally fumbling a sentence and looking in a panic off to the side, as if reading something.

Or the reverse joke where you have Dan take the role.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i think i've come around to liking contrapoints now
the livestream channel with the episode commentaries was a better introduction for me then the actual first episodes

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MiddleOne posted:

Or the reverse joke where you have Dan take the role.

"Harris Bomberguy is fine! He's fine!"

Also, Sterdust is apparently going to be doing a wrestling? (Facebook auto-loud video warning!)

Here's the original segment from EGO wrestling talk whatnot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD12AEWCo7A

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Dan Bell released a 45 minute documentary on Aileen Wuornos that's essential viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MOsSHRDXm4

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Those gross motel room videos he does make me almost as uneasy as Phelan’s abandoned building series.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

darkpool posted:

Still laughing at the "contains: soy" bit more than an hour later.

For me it was hitting the "citation needed" button with an axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

business hammocks posted:

Those gross motel room videos he does make me almost as uneasy as Phelan’s abandoned building series.

I find those videos kinda funny as well as icky, but I love Rick and Will. There's this video he did with BrightSun Films recently however that is unquestionably the creepiest thing I've seen on YouTube - a virtually abandoned town that seems post-apocalyptic, only it's utterly real. Imagine loving living here - indeed, people still do. A tent in the Korean DMZ would be an improvement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDdU43lcNkY

Dan is on a short list with Techmoan, Jon Bois, LGR and Contra for me as the best drat YouTubers full stop.

• Locked thread