Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zopotantor posted:

May I point you all to the pseudoscience thread? It could use some love at the moment.

Oh yeah, we're all punching the illegal herpes vaccine trials that Southern Illinois U and Peter Thiel got tied up in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
edit: Anger-replied to a really stupid comment before seeing a mod post asking people to stop.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 23, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Keiya posted:

Make them sell it and get an automatic.

I can't loving wait until we have self-driving cars so we can just take away people's manual operation license.

(Also how come no one ever proposes solutions like 'mark their ID and make it illegal to sell them booze'?)

Because they'll just have someone else do the buying.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Oh god.

Just look at how stupid Americans got when you try to say "maybe men who beat their wives nearly to death shouldn't be allowed to buy guns."

Now turn that up to eleven for "maybe people who drive drunk constantly shouldn't be allowed to buy booze."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wall Balls posted:

wrap it up, sphere cucks

:thunk:

Now trying spinning the tennis ball at 0.0007 RPM.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

So basically, a super-sized version of this, but with super hot steam. What could go wrong?

I just stumbled across an article with a pic and...

HOLY poo poo HE TOTALLY IS

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-earth-is-flat/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Proteus Jones posted:

I just...

I think it's the willful ignorance that grinds my gears the most. I get not having the education or realizing the information is out there. But being presented with undeniable facts and turning away from them... I don't get it.

I've sometimes wondered what the actual ratio is between real true believer flat-Earthers, and joker/troll/"ironic" flat-Earthers. I suspect it's fairly low, but you never know...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

:thunk:

Now trying spinning the tennis ball at 0.0007 RPM.

Also, to accurately represent the depth of the world's oceans, the layer of water adhering to the tennis ball needs to be 8/10,000" thick.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

Also, to accurately represent the depth of the world's oceans, the layer of water adhering to the tennis ball needs to be 8/10,000" thick.

Also, you need to do this in microgravity.

Ask your parents NASA for help.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

haveblue posted:

Absolutely none, dowsing is pure woo.

I remember reading a book that had a section on dowsing when I was a kid. It wasn't a "how-to", it was more of an explanation of how it works. It's not supernatural, it's purely an external way that your subconscious can signal your conscious. If you have no experience in finding water, it doesn't work. When your experience tells you that water should be here, the rods cross. Some people use a plumb-bob, some people use a crooked stick. Sometimes your conscious mind gets in the way and wants you to believe that water is in place "X" when your gut is screaming at you that it's in "Y".

Many, many years ago, my great-grandfather could not find a place to drill a well on our farm. He'd drilled all over the place and found nothing. It made no sense, but water was not to be found in the usual places. He finally hired a Witch and he found water on the first shot in a bizarre rear end location. The well is in a place that makes absolutely no sense. It's not paranormal, it's just skill.

Dowsing for pipes is ridiculous, it's just guessing based on where you'd put them if it was you.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

mostlygray posted:

I remember reading a book that had a section on dowsing when I was a kid. It wasn't a "how-to", it was more of an explanation of how it works. It's not supernatural, it's purely an external way that your subconscious can signal your conscious. If you have no experience in finding water, it doesn't work. When your experience tells you that water should be here, the rods cross. Some people use a plumb-bob, some people use a crooked stick. Sometimes your conscious mind gets in the way and wants you to believe that water is in place "X" when your gut is screaming at you that it's in "Y".

Many, many years ago, my great-grandfather could not find a place to drill a well on our farm. He'd drilled all over the place and found nothing. It made no sense, but water was not to be found in the usual places. He finally hired a Witch and he found water on the first shot in a bizarre rear end location. The well is in a place that makes absolutely no sense. It's not paranormal, it's just skill.

mostlygray posted:

Dowsing for pipes is ridiculous, it's just guessing based on where you'd put them if it was you.

holding both these positions at once seems, uh, inconsistent.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dowsing is like the placebo effect: surveying edition.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Prav posted:

holding both these positions at once seems, uh, inconsistent.

It's entirely consistent. Groundwater generally produces (subtle) clues on the surface - soil consistency, vegetation thickness and colour, the like. Unless they've been leaking for a long time (or burst under pressure) you're not going to have any surface clues for a pipe's location.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

GotLag posted:

It's entirely consistent. Groundwater generally produces (subtle) clues on the surface - soil consistency, vegetation thickness and colour, the like. Unless they've been leaking for a long time (or burst under pressure) you're not going to have any surface clues for a pipe's location.

That depends on the treatment applied to the surface after the pipe has been laid in. If it's a shallow pipe and the trench was just refilled with dirt, there will probably be some subtle subsidence indicating where the pipe is. I imagine that these water company guys look at maps before they go out, then look at the area, and before they pull the dowsing rods out they already have a pretty solid idea as to where the pipe should be.

Also, dowsing for water is easy. Aquifers tend to be pretty big, and no matter where you are, as long as you go down far enough you'll hit water. It might not be in the first 100 feet, but it's there.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I used to work for a gas company, and while I didn't field the Dial Before You Dig calls, I sat across from the person who did, and if what I heard is any indication they're hard as gently caress to find, unless you're operating a backhoe and not looking for pipes.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

GotLag posted:

I used to work for a gas company, and while I didn't field the Dial Before You Dig calls, I sat across from the person who did, and if what I heard is any indication they're hard as gently caress to find, unless you're operating a backhoe and not looking for pipes.

...and if you think of using the backhoe to look for pipes, that's how you find fiberoptics.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GotLag posted:

I can't find anything detailed because it's from so long ago, but there's an LA Times article that mentions it: http://articles.latimes.com/1998/sep/24/local/me-26013

Page 2:

"We're smart enough not to be dealing with something that is a fraud," says man who falls for and assists in propagating fraud.

Thanks!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Someone find the YouTube of that, it's so much better with the running commentary

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Anyone have that pic of cabling wrapped around a big old drill like spaghetti wrapped around a fork because someone hosed up?

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

"The system is given off a warning saying that hundreds of tonnes oil are being pumped out the emergency release valve into the river. "
"Thats impossible, it must be an error, the only way to open the valve is by hand and there is noone in the area, can you disable the warning system?"

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Applebee123 posted:

"The system is given off a warning saying that hundreds of tonnes oil are being pumped out the emergency release valve into the river. "
"Thats impossible, it must be an error, the only way to open the valve is by hand and there is noone in the area, can you disable the warning system?"

Sloths need jobs, too.

https://gfycat.com/ElectricAgitatedHorse

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 24, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento posted:

Someone find the YouTube of that, it's so much better with the running commentary

Now that I'm back non-phone-posting, here's the video I meant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBxSntGGm8U

Also, this looks like a fun workplace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvqDj3me37o

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Proteus Jones posted:

I've been on this website too long, because I look at that picture and think, "what is that man doing to his anus?"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Memento posted:

Also, this looks like a fun workplace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvqDj3me37o

I really want to know what the pass/fail criteria are. From the speed that thing is moving, I'm guessing radioactive release is pretty much a given, so maybe just data for one point safety simulations?

Proteus Jones posted:

Don't worry, he's got DJ Safety looking after him.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

I really want to know what the pass/fail criteria are. From the speed that thing is moving, I'm guessing radioactive release is pretty much a given, so maybe just data for one point safety simulations?

I don't man. It really felt like DJ Safety was mailing in his last set at the club when I saw him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

So he's the one that does the record scratch when they freeze frame and voiceover "So, you're probably wondering how I got in this scrape..."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wanna pierce those bottles to drain milk out the side.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cakesmith handyman posted:

Wanna pierce those bottles to drain milk out the side.

I didn’t see the locks at first and thought they lost the caps and slid covers on in lieu of them.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

ahahahaaha holy poo poo i love that its all the same product too, can you imagine the fights that had to lead to this solution?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I think it's contaminated and being stored for testing or something

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Keiya posted:

I think it's contaminated and being stored for testing or something

It's in the break room of a police station, the photo was taken by an officer in training

https://twitter.com/WYP_PC3220Sharp/status/873906403597004801

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
All I can see is good lockout procedures.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What kind of lovely workplace doesn't just use petty cash to bay the buck or two it would take to buy milk for everyone?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

GotLag posted:

What kind of lovely workplace doesn't just use petty cash to bay the buck or two it would take to buy milk for everyone?

why does one of them have infection tape all over it

there's so much to speculate about :allears:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

why are they all the same kind? is semiskimmed like 1% or 2%? if its canadian milk why isnt it in bags

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/bbcworld/status/934023366104813568

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Former DILF posted:

why are they all the same kind? is semiskimmed like 1% or 2%? if its canadian milk why isnt it in bags

That's Halifax in West Yorkshire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

so theyre bobbies?