Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I'm confused as to why you think the Meri Lappi deal is viewed in the government as the companies doing something unexpected (despite some weak statements to the contrary) as opposed to the municipalities doing something unexpected by finding a loophole.

I'm not really sure what the "facts" here are because most of the opposition seems to be driven by sensationalist reporting by left-wing reporters. The actual experts statements make a lot of recommendations and of course a 3-party compromise will never be perfect, but overall the pushback on the major points has typically been "not enough of this" or "tweak the implementation of this" as opposed to "OMG too much privatization." Most people here seem to be ideologically opposed to even letting private companies handle basic health care, whereas the comments on that have mostly been "how do we ensure equal access to private healthcare for every region?"

Okay, all other things aside, what you seem to struggle with is that it really is not about privatization, or maakunnat at the end. People are opposed to SOTE, across the spectrum is because this government is incompetent. Every law, every proposal, every reform it has attempted has been half-assed and rushed, usually with them having to withdraw whatever they planned entirely.

What it does get past the goal line is either a gutted shadow of whatever they initially proposed that even their home base is "ehh" about, some kind of vague Kiky-poo poo that they have to drag rest of the country kicking and screaming into, whose effects, if any, are at best disputed. The government regularly runs afoul of the law, the constitution or the opinions of it's own MP's at a frequency I've never seen in my lifetime.

The government has been close to collapsing twice. The scandals, the ridicolous statements, the idiots in charge, the pathetic relations with media and so on have been of both such quality and quantity that the entire country is exhausted of it. One of the parties split for gently caress's sake. They have gotten themselves in a razor thin majority. The leading party is falling in the polls like a rock and only a minority of the population is behind the government.

Nowhere better has this goverment's ineptitude been shown then the SOTE. It has not been merely "not perfect" - it has been a clusterfuck of ridicolous magnitude, to the point where it is not even clear if it will ever be completed.

We can argue if the Finnish system is so bad that these reforms are needed or about public vs. private until the end of time. But that is ideology - what is not ideology is the naked, balls to the wall incompetency that this government shows on a near daily basis. For proof I refer you to the last two years.

People who believe that this government has done a good job are not only a minority, they are either personally benefiting from the decisions or they are loving dumb. People who benefit from government incompetence/corruption usually keep it quiet and since you are so mystified why nobody else here supports SOTE regardless of their other political alignments...I have bad news for you.

(Oh, and people who actually believe these fuckups can somehow brilliantly reform the Finnish health care system are just straight up dumb)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

DarkCrawler posted:

Okay, all other things aside, what you seem to struggle with is that it really is not about privatization, or maakunnat at the end. People are opposed to SOTE, across the spectrum is because this government is incompetent. Every law, every proposal, every reform it has attempted has been half-assed and rushed, usually with them having to withdraw whatever they planned entirely.

What it does get past the goal line is either a gutted shadow of whatever they initially proposed that even their home base is "ehh" about, some kind of vague Kiky-poo poo that they have to drag rest of the country kicking and screaming into, whose effects, if any, are at best disputed. The government regularly runs afoul of the law, the constitution or the opinions of it's own MP's at a frequency I've never seen in my lifetime.
Sure, Kiky was nowhere near as strong as it should have been (see for instance Juhana Vartiainen in today's HS) but to argue it had no effect is pretty lol. Yeah, fastest economic growth in ages, driven by export growth and increased investment, sure, this had nothing at all to do with Kiky. Completely random, driven by growth in the world economy (strange how that growth only really affected us during this government).

Almost everything where the government has "failed" (for instance the problems highlighted here: http://www.imf.org/en/News/Articles/2017/11/01/mcs1112017-finland-staff-concluding-statement-of-the-2017-article-iv-mission) are things where they compromised. You should be happy about that, they listened to (or were unable to pass their laws because of) people who think the same way as you. Your biggest problem with our government seems to be that they haven't completely steamrolled over the people you agree with (ironically, that's also my biggest problem with our government). Really, have a look at the IMF assessment and think about WHY the government hasn't been able to introduce local bargaining, run a budget surplus, or reform healthcare (the three things pointed out in the report as the biggest challenges to Finland).

Then again, you just like to cry, so you'd be crying either way. If the government managed to pass Kiky in full, you'd be complaining about how this hurts workers. If they ran a budget surplus, you'd complain that the recession is not over yet and we need to borrow to spend. If the government managed to decrease early retirements with financial incentives, you'd once again complain about how unfair that is for workers who thought they could retire at 55 but then couldn't. If Halla-aho PS had stayed in government, you'd be crying about racists being in government. etc etc etc.

quote:

The government has been close to collapsing twice. The scandals, the ridicolous statements, the idiots in charge, the pathetic relations with media and so on have been of both such quality and quantity that the entire country is exhausted of it. One of the parties split for gently caress's sake. They have gotten themselves in a razor thin majority. The leading party is falling in the polls like a rock and only a minority of the population is behind the government.
You're hysterical. Just a reminder: Party with the most support: Kok. Party with the third most support: Kesk. If things remain as they are, I wouldn't be surprised to see the next government consist of these two as well (of course Kesk might decide to take a break and force SDP to do something other than shout "tasa-arvo").

quote:

People who believe that this government has done a good job are not only a minority, they are either personally benefiting from the decisions or they are loving dumb. People who benefit from government incompetence/corruption usually keep it quiet and since you are so mystified why nobody else here supports SOTE regardless of their other political alignments...I have bad news for you.
I'm personally benefiting from this economic growth, I would guess the people who have risen out of poverty during this government also have (as poverty has fallen).

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 18, 2017

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

the comments on that have mostly been "how do we ensure equal access to private healthcare for every region?"

This opposite of reality approach is getting a bit stale

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I wonder at what point the Helsinki Police will realize that they'd be a lot better just shutting down the Taponen, Huhtela etc. accounts and focusing on actual tiedottaminen instead of things like lobbying on alcohol or immigration policy. The fact that the parody accounts are more popular than the actual accounts really says a lot about their effectiveness.

Official speech will always be inferior to free speech, creatively.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

doverhog posted:

Official speech will always be inferior to free speech, creatively.

Finnish police solution: Ban free speech.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Ban Twitter, imo

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Sure, Kiky was nowhere near as strong as it should have been (see for instance Juhana Vartiainen in today's HS) but to argue it had no effect is pretty lol. Yeah, fastest economic growth in ages, driven by export growth and increased investment, sure, this had nothing at all to do with Kiky. Completely random, driven by growth in the world economy (strange how that growth only really affected us during this government).

No, it had effects. The effects are at best disputed because

A) In the real world the complexity of the global economy is an acknowledged factor. You ascribe the positive growth solely to the effects of Kiky when export growth and investment these days reflect the conditions abroad as much or more (kinda the whole point of "export"). Yeah it did give less money to various workers which does make their labor cheaper. That is an effect. Is it an positive effect? Is that where we needed to cut? Dispute.

B) You believe the fruits of this economic growth are applied equally instead as always, some get scraps, some get cuts and some get way more money on top of the shitload of money they already have. Dispute.

C) You think everyone sacrificed equally in this thing when obviously they didn't. So if a lot of people lose and a few lose nothing while still gaining in the bargain, it doesn't really matter if there is 1% growth or 10% growth. You have to understand that unrelenting growth without that growth actually being reflected in the society as a whole is not the goal of most people. Dispute.

D) Oh yeah, and Kiky's original goal was supposed to make public sector stronger and lopettaa velaksi eläminen. I know you like to throw the original goals of the government in the trash so you can claim success no matter what, but the goals there are in a literal sense of the word not met:
https://www.hs.fi/politiikka/art-2000005435698.html

Which is before SOTE. And the savings there right now are just a fantasy in the air. Remember that we're not supposed to take any more debt by 2021? Remember how Sipilä was talking about the horrors of debt and why Kiky had to be done? Do you believe the government has met it's stated goals there, or will meet them in the future? Because I would dispute that.

These are main points of disagreement which actually have very little to do with how competent the goverment is (what exactly about the process of getting to Kiky convinced you of this I will never know) but explain how most of us can look at economic growth on furher terms then simple +/- factor because once again - the real world is not that simple and there are disputes. Also how at least many of us do remember that Kiky had other goals at some point then increasing shareholder profits.

What is not in fact a dispute is the incompetence of this government that has been displayed from the start. Kok is the least incompetent part of it, granted.

quote:

Almost everything where the government has "failed" (for instance the problems highlighted here: http://www.imf.org/en/News/Articles/2017/11/01/mcs1112017-finland-staff-concluding-statement-of-the-2017-article-iv-mission) are things where they compromised. You should be happy about that, they listened to (or were unable to pass their laws because of) people who think the same way as you. Your biggest problem with our government seems to be that they haven't completely steamrolled over the people you agree with (ironically, that's also my biggest problem with our government). Really, have a look at the IMF assessment and think about WHY the government hasn't been able to introduce local bargaining, run a budget surplus, or reform healthcare (the three things pointed out in the report as the biggest challenges to Finland).

Don't segue away. I am saying that despite its majority, this government routinely makes terribly prepared proposals that get shouted down by not only the society as a whole, their own voter base and multiple MPs of their own parties. This is rabid, massive incompetence. Do I need to start listing actual examples or can you acknowledge the reality in this case and save me some time?

I am not talking about the opposition parties or parlamentiary debate, I am talking about things that don't make it within the distant range of any sort of possibility of voting because it is obvious to everyone that it would fail and people start to question why the proposal was made in the first place.

quote:

Then again, you just like to cry, so you'd be crying either way. If the government managed to pass Kiky in full, you'd be complaining about how this hurts workers. If they ran a budget surplus, you'd complain that the recession is not over yet and we need to borrow to spend. If the government managed to decrease early retirements with financial incentives, you'd once again complain about how unfair that is for workers who thought they could retire at 55 but then couldn't. If Halla-aho PS had stayed in government, you'd be crying about racists being in government. etc etc etc.
You're hysterical. Just a reminder: Party with the most support: Kok. Party with the third most support: Kesk. If things remain as they are, I wouldn't be surprised to see the next government consist of these two as well (of course Kesk might decide to take a break and force SDP to do something other than shout "tasa-arvo").

Meanwhile in the real world:
https://www.hs.fi/politiikka/art-2000005455466.html

Sure seems that people don't seem to agree with your assessment of this government being great for their lives. Except Kok because it is in fact great for the wealthy, you're right about that!

And the fact that I don't like what this government is trying to do does not mean that they are not laughably incompetent when they fail to do it, over and over again, spend as much time infighting then they do fighting with the opposition and stumble from one media clusterfuck to other like it's their guiding goal in life.

Donald Trump is a goddamn moron unable to achieve anything that isn't making GBS threads his pants on Twitter - does this mean that I wouldn't be complaining if he did manage to achieve his goals? The gently caress kinda argument is that?

When I talk about their incompetence it is not complaining as much as laughing at them and any mouthbreather who can make the argument that they are in fact competent against all the prevailing evidence.

quote:

I'm personally benefiting from this economic growth, I would guess the people who have risen out of poverty during this government also have (as poverty has fallen).

That's great then. Still probably not all that smart to be talking about how you're making bank because we got a bunch of dumbshits in charge.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 19, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

A) In the real world the complexity of the global economy is an acknowledged factor. You ascribe the positive growth solely to the effects of Kiky when export growth and investment these days reflect the conditions abroad as much or more (kinda the whole point of "export"). Yeah it did give less money to various workers which does make their labor cheaper. That is an effect. Is it an positive effect? Is that where we needed to cut? Dispute.

How much of export growth is not due to Meyer Turku anyway? Because those sales were made way before the Kirjaimellinentulonsiirtoköyhiltärikkailleuhkavaatimus was in the works.

e: Also obviously affects employment positively.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

DarkCrawler posted:

No, it had effects. The effects are at best disputed because

Yes, it is a positive effect because otherwise we'd go the way of Greece. And I literally addressed conditions abroad in the post you were quoting and no, I didn't ascribe the benefits solely to Kiky. You on the other hand are ascribing all the economic growth that has happened to global economic growth, despite the fact that our biggest trading partners (Germany, UK and Sweden) are all growing slower now than they were a few years ago.

quote:

B) You believe the fruits of this economic growth are applied equally instead as always, some get scraps, some get cuts and some get way more money on top of the shitload of money they already have. Dispute.
You would cry about this regardless of what's happening so this is not worth disputing (as I said, inequality has barely increased and poverty has decreased during this government).

quote:

C) You think everyone sacrificed equally in this thing when obviously they didn't. So if a lot of people lose and a few lose nothing while still gaining in the bargain, it doesn't really matter if there is 1% growth or 10% growth. You have to understand that unrelenting growth without that growth actually being reflected in the society as a whole is not the goal of most people. Dispute.
The number of people living in poverty has fallen. Inequality has not risen. Average incomes have risen. Repeat of my comment from above about you crying about how unfair the world is regardless of what is happening.

quote:

D) Oh yeah, and Kiky's original goal was supposed to make public sector stronger and lopettaa velaksi eläminen. I know you like to throw the original goals of the government in the trash so you can claim success no matter what, but the goals there are in a literal sense of the word not met:
https://www.hs.fi/politiikka/art-2000005435698.html
Yes, a lot of goals haven't been met, such as getting the employment rate up. Name one government that meets all their goals. The point is that things are getting better on both debt and employment, even if goals are not being met.

quote:

Don't segue away. I am saying that despite its majority, this government routinely makes terribly prepared proposals that get shouted down by not only the society as a whole, their own voter base and multiple MPs of their own parties. This is rabid, massive incompetence. Do I need to start listing actual examples or can you acknowledge the reality in this case and save me some time?

I am not talking about the opposition parties or parlamentiary debate, I am talking about things that don't make it within the distant range of any sort of possibility of voting because it is obvious to everyone that it would fail and people start to question why the proposal was made in the first place.
So once again, your biggest complaint is "incompetence", even though them backing away from their proposals is actually what you want?? I really don't see what's so "incompetent" about a government listening to feedback from constituents, unless that feedback is dumb, in which case they should just push through. You also seem to have the memory of a goldfish, or are otherwise just really easily swayed by media reporting (ok, that we knew already), this isn't the first government to have things happen. The previous government had 2 parties leave and failed to pass SOTE or do anything to revive the economy. The government before that led to the collapse of Keskusta. The government before that was involved in a major electoral funding scandal.

quote:

Meanwhile in the real world:
https://www.hs.fi/politiikka/art-2000005455466.html
Yeah Yle still has Kesk third though.

quote:

And the fact that I don't like what this government is trying to do does not mean that they are not laughably incompetent when they fail to do it, over and over again, spend as much time infighting then they do fighting with the opposition and stumble from one media clusterfuck to other like it's their guiding goal in life.
OMG! THE GOVERNMENT IS ARGUING! HAHA LOOK AT THOSE INCEOMPETENT MORONS. *economy grows 3%*

Jerry Cotton posted:

How much of export growth is not due to Meyer Turku anyway? Because those sales were made way before the Kirjaimellinentulonsiirtoköyhiltärikkailleuhkavaatimus was in the works.

e: Also obviously affects employment positively.
Meyer Turku revenue increase 2014-2016: €300m
Trade deficit (12m rolling average) decrease from 2014-now: €2.8bn
%age increase in Meyer Turku production inputs from abroad: ??? but probably a fair bit of the €300m
--->
Importance of Meyer Turku (and Turku in general): very low

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Yes, it is a positive effect because otherwise we'd go the way of Greece. And I literally addressed conditions abroad in the post you were quoting and no, I didn't ascribe the benefits solely to Kiky. You on the other hand are ascribing all the economic growth that has happened to global economic growth, despite the fact that our biggest trading partners (Germany, UK and Sweden) are all growing slower now than they were a few years ago.

This is why your unipolarity bites you in the rear end and nobody takes you seriously. Ascribing Greece to workers having too much is definitely a new record though.

And no, I am not ascribing ALL economic growth to the world economy. Just most of the export and investment because most of those sectors are driven by the global growth and trends.

quote:

You would cry about this regardless of what's happening so this is not worth disputing (as I said, inequality has barely increased and poverty has decreased during this government).

Yeah, believe or not if one feels the unfairness and inequality in the current global economic system they're not going to stop complaining if there are small adjustments in a small part of it. Again something one does not generally have to explain to your average person.

quote:

The number of people living in poverty has fallen. Inequality has not risen. Average incomes have risen. Repeat of my comment from above about you crying about how unfair the world is regardless of what is happening.

Kiky is not the only thing that this government has done. Like it or not, the rich benefit the most from the policies of this government, and those make them bad policies to me and most other people?:shrug:

quote:

Yes, a lot of goals haven't been met, such as getting the employment rate up. Name one government that meets all their goals. The point is that things are getting better on both debt and employment, even if goals are not being met.

Thing's are not getting better on employment, lol. Tens of thousands are being exploited in ridicolous "työkokeilut" for starters, most of those who do get new jobs are getting bullshit part-time crap work without anything in the way of benefits. Sectors that DO experience growth, mainly construction, heavy manufacturing and shipyards need huge numbers of immigration because nobody is retraining old 50-somethings who got laid off five or ten years ago. And the horde of actual unemployed, hundreds of thousands, are getting cuts and increasing government hurdles because nobody can admit that there just isn't enough need for human labor in the year 2017.

Yeah, debt can be cut from cutting from the poor and unemployed. It can also be cut by cutting from the wealthy and corporations, fighting global tax evasion, etc. This government is interested in only doing the former.

quote:

So once again, your biggest complaint is "incompetence", even though them backing away from their proposals is actually what you want?? I really don't see what's so "incompetent" about a government listening to feedback from constituents, unless that feedback is dumb, in which case they should just push through. You also seem to have the memory of a goldfish, or are otherwise just really easily swayed by media reporting (ok, that we knew already), this isn't the first government to have things happen. The previous government had 2 parties leave and failed to pass SOTE or do anything to revive the economy. The government before that led to the collapse of Keskusta. The government before that was involved in a major electoral funding scandal.

Why is the concept of being happy about someone you hate loving up while still considering them fuckups us apparently Sanskrit to you?

Them loving up is GOOD because when they don't gently caress up in the execution they gently caress up in the end result which is BAD because now that gently caress-up is official policy.

Because of this frequency of loving up it is unlikely they will succeed in SOTE which is also GOOD.

But their high frequency of loving up also means that I nor anyone else with half a brain don't want them to even touch healthcare because healthcare in the hands of fuckups is BAD no matter how you swing it.

Don't know how this can be put on simpler terms. Explain to me which parts of that thinking does not make sense and I can try to provide more examples.

And yes, the previous governments have been incompetent for quite some time too. Not as much as this one but do you really think the Prime Minister loving off to a suojatyöpaikka in the middle of a term is an indication of government competence? :wtc:

Competent governments achieve most of their goals, proposed or otherwise. This one doesn't. Last one didn't.

quote:

Yeah Yle still has Kesk third though.

And what was their support at the start of this government?

How about PS/SIN for that matter?

How do you figure that only 38% support the government if all is fine and dandy?🤔

quote:

OMG! THE GOVERNMENT IS ARGUING! HAHA LOOK AT THOSE INCEOMPETENT MORONS. *economy grows 3%*

The fact that the economy grows despite this government barely achieving anything would lead normal people to believe that the reasons lie elsewhere.

The financial crisis of 2008 was not the fault of Finnish decision making, for example. Economic downturn and growth can and does happen without national government input. Globalization 101.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 19, 2017

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really don't know how you manage to be so convinced about these stories when they're literally all wrong. Confirmation bias supported by you only reading stuff you agree with? No idea. Lay off the blogs and Yle, start looking at the primary sources:

1) Unemployment is down from when this government took over, not rising like you claim. This includes people in training programs (no, they are not hidden unemployed) which rose by a whopping 2000 people from Jan 2015 to Sep 2017 (http://www.tilastokeskus.fi/til/tyti/2016/01/tyti_2016_01_2016-02-23_tie_001_fi.html - http://www.tilastokeskus.fi/til/tyti/2017/09/tyti_2017_09_2017-10-24_tie_001_fi.html - sorry, I know you don't like statistics but Uuninpankopoika doesn't have any anecdotes about this so it's the best I can do). Labor force participation is up (which ultimately was the number that the government is targeting and is more important than unemployment, but the gov't is behind their own targets on this), hidden unemployment is down.

2) Seems very bizarre to complain about the rich getting richer when the poor are also getting richer and inequality isn't increasing. Like actual poverty reducing measures are not enough, you'd be happier if it was like 2011 again with everyone getting poorer but the rich getting poorer faster than the poor. Then again, I guess you are pretty straightforward about being motivated more by envy than compassion.

3) Still confused as to how the booming global economy seemed to ignore Finnish exports and investment targets until this government took over. Sure, the global economy has an effect, but almost every single review of the Finnish economy, including the IMF one linked, talks about the achievements of this government when it comes to labor markets and how those have improved the sustainability of Finland's economy.

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 19, 2017

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

https://demokraatti.fi/vayrynen-kiukuttelee-taas-lopetan-urani-jollen-paase-ehdolle/

nyt niitä vitun kannatuskorttei

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Darkest Auer posted:

If you want good pizza in Helsinki, try Pizza Mix in Niemenmäki, it's legit good and the price is cheap.

It's also legit small and has only one oven which fits 2 pizzas. Avoid the lunch, because us workers need to be back at the office on time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:thunk:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Office. Workers. Office workers.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Come on, not everyone can be an Autotehtaan sankari.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Or work at the prestigious Meyer Turku shipyard. Another historic Finno-germanic collaboration we can all be proud of.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I really don't know how you manage to be so convinced about these stories when they're literally all wrong. Confirmation bias supported by you only reading stuff you agree with? No idea. Lay off the blogs and Yle, start looking at the primary sources:

Lay off the FAKE NEWS! ACTIVIST BLOGGERS BIASED LEFTIST MAINSTREAM MEDIA :bahgawd: crack pipe that is so popular in the right these days and try to understand that blogs, Yle and other journalism use those exact same numbers and actually analyze the data, critically ecamine the sources and look at the real world situation behind the numbers.

It's easy to try and appear logical when all you do is read some numbers off a paper without any analysis and believe that economic growth is God but guess what, Angola is not paradise despite consistent 8% growth and you have to actually read some journalism to figure out why that growth is not being divided equally.

You're not some sophisticated technocrat, you're a dope accepting the handwaving of sophisticated technocrats without applying the slightest bit of critical thinking to practically any sections of anything you link.

quote:

1) Unemployment is down from when this government took over, not rising like you claim. This includes people in training programs (no, they are not hidden unemployed) which rose by a whopping 2000 people from Jan 2015 to Sep 2017 (http://www.tilastokeskus.fi/til/tyti/2016/01/tyti_2016_01_2016-02-23_tie_001_fi.html - http://www.tilastokeskus.fi/til/tyti/2017/09/tyti_2017_09_2017-10-24_tie_001_fi.html - sorry, I know you don't like statistics but Uuninpankopoika doesn't have any anecdotes about this so it's the best I can do). Labor force participation is up (which ultimately was the number that the government is targeting and is more important than unemployment, but the gov't is behind their own targets on this), hidden unemployment is down.

Yeah, that's great and all but please go back to my post, point out and quote where I said unemployment is rising.

Then when you fail to do that, quote back what I actually said and explain to me how those things are not happening ;)

quote:

2) Seems very bizarre to complain about the rich getting richer when the poor are also getting richer and inequality isn't increasing. Like actual poverty reducing measures are not enough, you'd be happier if it was like 2011 again with everyone getting poorer but the rich getting poorer faster than the poor. Then again, I guess you are pretty straightforward about being motivated more by envy than compassion.

Inequality not increasing at this one very short moment does not mean there is now no inequality, that this government is decreasing inequality or that the massive cuts instituted by this government did not hit the poor harder then the wealthy.

Point me a poverty reducing measure instituted by this government that isn't a vague platitude about "economic growth" that you have hard time attributing to this government in a first place.

A policy that helps the rich MORE then it helps the middle class or the poor is lovely policy. Until you accept that is where most people are coming from, you're just not going to make mich headway here.

quote:

3) Still confused as to how the booming global economy seemed to ignore Finnish exports and investment targets until this government took over. Sure, the global economy has an effect, but almost every single review of the Finnish economy, including the IMF one linked, talks about the achievements of this government when it comes to labor markets and how those have improved the sustainability of Finland's economy.

Okay, is the blooming global economy now ignoring Swedish or German exports and investment targets because of some government policy change? Yes? What is that change and what led to the same governments to institute it in the first place? You can't just use this thinking when it suits you, if you truly believe the meager government policies of Finland's paralyzed poo poo-flingers in charge are responsible more then the global economic changes then Mama Merkel must have hosed up somewhere.

And here is the thing about primary sources. They are vague and use soft language because they are usually, especially in the case of organizations the scale of IMF meant to not offend any particular government and increase cooperation with the organization. So it is very easy to make any argument you want using ONLY primary sources. Like say, if you were making the argument that this government hasn't achieved much.

Watch.

quote:

However, the labor market is yet to improve markedly; unemployment is still high, although long-term unemployment is now decreasing. 

The economy is particularly sensitive to growth fluctuations in key trading partners. Financial shocks remain a risk due to banks’ reliance on wholesale funding and close connections to other Nordic economies. Domestically, there is a risk that necessary reforms may stall.

But debt remains above its target, and adverse demographics and high exposure to trade and financial shocks—including from a large banking system—imply a need for robust fiscal resources in times of stress.

the mission recommends reaching a balanced budget earlier than projected.

Tax and social benefits policies should target those on low incomes, to improve employment of the low skilled.

Health and social services reform is crucial to address age-related fiscal pressures. The annual savings—targeted to reach almost 1½ percent of GDP by 2030—would transform the public finances over time. The reform will require close monitoring to ensure that projected cost savings are realized, as will plans to streamline the delivery of public services.

But the banking system is highly concentrated, reliant on wholesale funding, and closely linked to financial sectors in other Nordic countries. 

Household saving rates are negative, unsecured consumer credit is growing rapidly, and a large share of mortgage loans is held by highly indebted borrowers.

The Finnish financial system will become considerably larger: Nordea’s assets alone are over three times Finnish GDP. Oversight of the whole Nordea Group will fall to Finnish authorities and the ECB, and the Finnish Deposit Guarantee Fund will assume responsibility for insuring not only domestic deposits but also deposits made at Nordea’s Nordic and Baltic branches.

drat I agree! There really isn't marked (you know the kind you can notice) improvement in the labor market and unemployment is still high, our economy IS particularly tied to the economic performance of our trading partners (you know, also known as other countries e.g. the global economy), targets haven't been met on debt, those on low incomes should get the tax breaks and more benefits, if they don't get their promises on SOTE all of this doesn't matter, banking system is vulnerable and just lol if you think this government can deal with the responsibility over Nordea and households are not doing too well - did I miss anything? I mean they said it nicer but they said it.

I disagree with the IMF (who you seem to think is some sort of non-ideological independent authority anyway for some weird reason) and their market-oriented solutions to the many problems caused by our market-oriented global economic system and one-and-half decades of market-oriented right-wing incompetence in our government...

...buuuttt when it comes to those problems existing, and lack of things this government has done to actually fix anything long-term, we seem to be on the same page. I thought you read this statement?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 21, 2017

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

DarkCrawler posted:

Lay off the FAKE NEWS! ACTIVIST BLOGGERS BIASED LEFTIST MAINSTREAM MEDIA :bahgawd: crack pipe that is so popular in the right these days and try to understand that blogs, Yle and other journalism use those exact same numbers and actually analyze the data, critically ecamine the sources and look at the real world situation behind the numbers.
Here's a typical Yle article, the kind that you love:
https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-9832572
Headline:

quote:

Köyhät köyhtyvät ja rikkaat rikastuvat: Laskelmat todistavat tuloerojen kasvavan
Rikkaiden ja köyhien välinen ero on pysynyt melko tasaisena toistakymmentä vuotta, mutta ero alkaa nyt revetä.

Now you probably stopped reading there at the headline and filed this as another one of your ":qq: things are so bad :qq:" articles to quote here at some point, but if you actually look at the article:

In the body of the text, the "repeäminen" of tuloerot:

quote:

Yeah, that's great and all but please go back to my post, point out and quote where I said unemployment is rising.

quote:

Thing's are not getting better on employment, lol. Tens of thousands are being exploited in ridicolous "työkokeilut" for starters,
Sorry, I forgot for a second that "declining unemployment with the same amount of people in työkokeilu DOESN'T mean things are getting better in DarkCrawler land, because reducing poverty and unemployment is not an improvement for you unless it comes with at least someone losing money. Because in your world, nothing is a success unless the people who are doing better than you suffer in some way.

quote:

Inequality not increasing at this one very short moment does not mean there is now no inequality, that this government is decreasing inequality or that the massive cuts instituted by this government did not hit the poor harder then the wealthy.
Ahhhh look at all those massive cuts killing the poor:

http://www.julkari.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/135425/Suomensosiaalinentila_4_2017_final2_korjattu.pdf?sequence=1

quote:

Point me a poverty reducing measure instituted by this government that isn't a vague platitude about "economic growth" that you have hard time attributing to this government in a first place.
A policy that helps the rich MORE then it helps the middle class or the poor is lovely policy. Until you accept that is where most people are coming from, you're just not going to make mich headway here.
Why? Once again, this comes down to you just being driven by envy. If I can improve the incomes of the poorest people by 10% with a measure that also increases the incomes of the rich by 20%, why on earth would I not do that?? Because little middle class DarkCrawler is going to be jealous of some rich people doing better than him?

quote:

And here is the thing about primary sources. They are vague and use soft language because they are usually, especially in the case of organizations the scale of IMF meant to not offend any particular government and increase cooperation with the organization. So it is very easy to make any argument you want using ONLY primary sources. Like say, if you were making the argument that this government hasn't achieved much.
uhh IMF is not one of the primary sources I was referring to.

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 21, 2017

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://m.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/201711212200548301_u0.shtml

Sure, send your children to the pedo cult führer, I'm sure there is no reason to concern.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Imagine being one of the Helsinki or Tampere kids at that party. :roflolmao:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
People in työkokeilu or any other 9-euros-a-day labor are not actually employed. I'm sorry if you think otherwise.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Darkest Auer posted:

People in työkokeilu or any other 9-euros-a-day labor are not actually employed. I'm sorry if you think otherwise.

Oh, don't worry, Geriatric Pirate is certainly doing none of that.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darkest Auer posted:

Great comment, except it's completely irrelevant because they're not counted as employed by Tilastokeskus* and the number of people on Työkokeilu has barely risen since 2015.

*if you thought they were, it's because you were thinking about the TEM unemployment statistics, but even there they are not really labeled as employed, they're just not "työttömät työnhakijat". they also make up less than 5% of all job seekers, but I guess they're just something for you to rage at

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 21, 2017

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Geriatric Pirate posted:

the TEM unemployment statistics, but even there they are not really labeled as employed, they're just not "työttömät työnhakijat". they also make up less than 5% of all job seekers, but I guess they're just something for you to rage at

We should be raging at this though. They're not employed, not unemployed, not studying and they don't get paid. It's wasting everyone's time and money just so those welfare queens don't accidentally have it "too easy".

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
I just moved to Finland from Australia 5 months ago. This country desperately needs more public servants. Also Australia recently replicated Finland's system of forcing the unemployed into doing underpaid labor in order to get the dole. It's exploitative and bad.

Also alcohol costs too much and everybody is depressed.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Krabboss posted:

I just moved to Finland from Australia 5 months ago. This country desperately needs more public servants. Also Australia recently replicated Finland's system of forcing the unemployed into doing underpaid labor in order to get the dole. It's exploitative and bad.

Things used to be better. This government and the previous have been attacking the system so they can hobble it and have an excuse to privatize natural monopolies, not that they much care if they have an excuse or not. Literally nobody aside from Geriatric Pirate thinks they're doing a good job in any regard, least of all hiding their motivations.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krabboss posted:

This country has been steadily adding more and more public servants (supported by the same amount of private sector workers for 60 years now)

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Geriatric Pirate posted:

This country has been steadily adding more and more public servants (supported by the same amount of private sector workers for 60 years now)

That's a strange definition of "steady" growth.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

quote:

HKL:n työsuojeluvaltuutettu Merja Lehtinen kertookin joutuneensa keskustelemaan työnantajan kanssa siitä, kuinka usein kuljettajan on päästävä vessaan. Aluksi työnantajan mielestä neljä tunnin väli oli riittävä väli, sittemmin sopivaksi väliksi on sanottu 2,5 tuntia.

Mitenkähän se on meidän arkkilibertaarimme mielestä, kuinka usein saa VERON MAKSAJAN RAHALLA käydä kusella ja paskalla

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rappaport posted:

Mitenkähän se on meidän arkkilibertaarimme mielestä, kuinka usein saa VERON MAKSAJAN RAHALLA käydä kusella ja paskalla

Maybe it's time for the state to introduce a National making GBS threads Directive telling people when to go to the toilet because they are incapable of doing so themselves? I mean this is working out exactly the way it should be, länsimetro has bad conditions so drivers leave, the employer (eventually)* figures out a solution and then new guys are recruited.

*but seeing as this is a government body, I wouldn't expect any urgency - see also, ticket machines for the trains at the airport

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Geriatric Pirate posted:

National making GBS threads Directive

How do you post this and not include the classic :godwinning:?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Krabboss posted:

But we already have a lot public servants, they're trying to get rid of them with early retirement.

Of course what these servants actually do is s completely separate discussion.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Replacing public servants with sivarit and palkkatuetut seems to be working just fiiiii*alien metallic screech*iiiiiine.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

That's nothing, just look at how Finland has been steadily adding more and more non-agricultural workers throughout the last century (supported by the ever-dwindling fraction of people working in agriculture)

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Maybe it's time for the state to introduce a National making GBS threads Directive telling people when to go to the toilet because they are incapable of doing so themselves? I mean this is working out exactly the way it should be, länsimetro has bad conditions so drivers leave, the employer (eventually)* figures out a solution and then new guys are recruited.

*but seeing as this is a government body, I wouldn't expect any urgency - see also, ticket machines for the trains at the airport
Yeah, if the conditions suck the metro drivers can just go work for some other metro! Free market at work! Oh wait.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Maybe it's time for the state to introduce a National making GBS threads Directive telling people when to go to the toilet because they are incapable of doing so themselves?

Well, the FREE MARKET solution is obviously "piss on your time or you're fired, rear end in a top hat", so...

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Elukka posted:

Yeah, if the conditions suck the metro drivers can just go work for some other metro! Free market at work! Oh wait.

They can just do like everyone else and piss on the metro floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-9945055

Well this is a tone the maa- ja metsätalousministeriö is taking.

Meanwhile, what the science actually says is that anti-hard-fat nutjobs have gotten more people killed than hard fats, so y'know, take it with a grain of salt. Which the same morons will yell is killing you until everyone listening to them has hyponatremia.

Does Sebastian Hielm have any competence whatsoever? (Nope. Neither in getting people to listen to him, or (human) medicine. He sure can fist a cow, though.)