Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Has anyone here played Tokyo Mirage Sessions? I like it a lot (it's basically a Persona) and it's pretty challenging on hard but dungeons have been, huh, meh so far.

Do they get better later? Not that dungeons are always great in Persona games either, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This week's drop (all releases Nov 23, unless otherwise stated).

Note: eShop updates at 12 noon EST/9am PST for NA, 15.00 CET/14.00 GMT for Europe.

Switch
ACA NeoGeo Soccer Brawl - $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
SOCCER BRAWL is a soccer game released by SNK in 1992. Sparks fly as teams representing eight different countries battle for the championship. Staged in the near future, teams feature seven robot players instead of the normal 11 players, allowing the defense to go on the attack, and for a variety of arrangements.

Aqua Moto Racing Utopia - $ ? / £31.49 / €34.99 ( ? NA / Nov 24 EU)
Retail / Digital - [NA] [EU]
Exotic courses, spectacular stunts, split-screen multiplayer: experience all the intensity of jet skiing on your own or with friends. Have a blast in dozens of races, performing stunts in gorgeous environments and playing against up to seven opponents.

Battle Chef Brigade - $19.99 / £17.99 / €19.99 (Nov 20)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
In the fantasy realm of Victusia, the members of the elite Battle Chef Brigade are revered for their ability to skillfully take down monsters and transform their kills into delicious cuisine! But getting in isn’t easy; chefs from across Victusia must vie for their spot in a high stakes competition.

Follow two contestants, Mina and Thrash, as their journeys through the tournament unfold. In order to become a Brigadier you’ll need to hunt monsters with combo-based attacks and prepare your freshly caught ingredients in puzzle-based cooking challenges to serve up winning dishes to the judges – all while the round clock ticks down.

Crimsonland - $12.59 / £11.99 / €13.99 (Nov 24)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Thousands of aliens, mutant lizards, and more are on the attack – can you survive the onslaught? Unlock dozens of weapons and perks in 60 missions, then show your skill in five survival modes in this intense dual-stick shooter. Complete 60 quests to unlock an array of weapons and abilities, then unleash your arsenal in five survival modes with leaderboards.

Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today - $19.99 / £13.49 / €14.99 (Nov 21)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
"Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today" tells the story of Michael, a man with no past, who must recover his identity and decode the two events that brought the world to the edge of collapse. The first one is the so-called "Great Wave," an inexplicable chain of natural disasters. The second is a pandemic that has turned humans into "the Dissolved," infected beings with special cognitive powers whose sick bodies will eventually dissolve into blood. If Michael doesn't hurry, he won't be able to avoid the impending moment of "dead synchronicity" when Time itself starts to dissolve.

Gear.Club Unlimited - $44.99 / £ ? / € ? (Nov 21 NA / Dec 1 EU)
For the first time on Nintendo Switch, drive through an authentic world of cars with Gear.Club Unlimited. Get behind the wheel of the most incredible cars from the most prestigious manufacturers. Race through over 400 challenging races. Learn to master the controls of the world's fastest supercars and collect them in your garage: you can customize and tune them across the numerous workshops, then take them to the race track for the win! Challenge your friends, competing among up to 4 players on the same screen, or beat their times online.

Kid Tripp - $3.99 / £3.59 / €3.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Kid Tripp has crashed on a mysterious island and now the local wildlife is out to ruin his day. Run and jump your way through 20 levels of intense platforming madness in this tough-as-nails platformer! Have you got what it takes to help Kid Tripp escape?

Let's Sing 2018 - $ ? / £29.99 / €39.99 (? NA / Nov 24 EU)
Warm up those vocal chords, enter the virtual stage and experience the best Let’s Sing ever made! (USB Microphone required)

Letter Quest Remastered - $14.99 / £11.69 / €12.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
The grim reapers, Grimm and Rose, need your help to defeat a legion of monsters, ghosts, and evil bunnies using the power of words! Spell words to battle monsters and earn gems that can be used to purchase upgrades, books, special items, potions, and much more! Letter Quest is a turn-based RPG featuring high-res artwork, clever wordplay, and two great soundtracks. Use your linguistic skills to survive!

Lumo - $19.95 / £19.99 / €19.99 (Nov 20 NA / Nov 24 (Retail), Nov 16 (Digital) EU)
Witness the rebirth of a genre in Lumo – a classic isometric adventure with a modern twist for gamers young and old alike! A modern take on the long-lost isometric platform genre, Lumo can be enjoyed by anyone looking for an absorbing, challenging and rewarding adventure. But for those who lived through the golden age of videogames – the 80s and early 90s – or know about the games and culture from that time, layer upon layer of nods, winks and touches to those times help build upon an experience that’s as heart-warming as it is exciting!

Mantis Burn Racing - $19.99 / £14.99 / €15.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Mantis Burn Racing is a modern top-down style racing game that combines physics-based gameplay with intuitive arcade racing in highly competitive, fast and addictive races. Prove your skills in five unique classes of vehicles over an epic 11 season single-player career with more than 150 events and 13 event types in frenetic, bumper-to-bumper races where winning is everything! Fine tune your vehicles with a RPG-style upgrade system and compete in split-screen races for up to four players or play online against opponents on other platforms.

MXGP3 - The Official Motocross Videogame - $39.99 / £39.99 / €49.99 (Nov 21)
Experience all the adrenaline of Motocross with the official Championship’s only video game! MXGP3 - The Official Motocross Videogame offers the most involving game experience ever, with completely new gameplay. Race on 18 official tracks in the MXoN with all riders and bikes from the 2016 MXGP and MX2 seasons, and be the first to experience the thrill of riding one of the 10 two-strokes available! Render your rider and your bike unique, with more than 300 official components for a complete customisation!

Poi: Explorer Edition - $29.99 / £29.99 / €39.99 (Oct 24 NA / Nov 24 EU)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Embark on a classic 3D platforming adventure as you set sail on an airship to collect Explorer Medallions and unravel the mysteries of the Milky Way Globe. Explore uncharted lands, and meet wild new characters, while on a journey to collect all the medallions and become a true Master Explorer!

Portal Knights - $29.99 / £24.99 / €29.99 ("November 2017" NA / Feb 9 2018 (Retail), Nov 24 (Digital) EU)
Leave the familiar world behind and step into the fantastic unknown with Portal Knights, a co-operative 3D sandbox action RPG! Level up your character and craft powerful gear to defeat your enemies in real-time tactical combat. Explore dozens of randomly-generated islands and restore peace to a world torn apart by The Fracture.

Snow Moto Racing Freedom - $ ? / £31.49 / €34.99 (? NA / Nov 24 EU)
Snowy courses, spectacular stunts, split-screen multiplayer: experience all the intensity of this extreme sport on your own or with friends. Have a blast in 40 races, performing awesome stunts and playing against up to seven opponents.

Stick It To The Man - $11.99 / £10.99 / €11.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Hard hat tester Ray has a bizarre accident and wakes up with a giant pink spaghetti arm sticking out of his brain! With his awesome new powers he can read minds and change the world with stickers but he’s on the run for a crime he didn’t commit. Can you help Ray out of this sticky situation?

Superbeat: Xonic - $39.99 / £ ? / € ? (Nov 21 NA / Dec 8 EU)
Experience SUPERBEAT: XONiC, the new music game sensation! Play your way through 68 unique songs and unlocks tons of hidden rewards and items!

Transcripted - $7.99 / £6.99 / €7.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Transcripted is a mixture of two incredibly addictive and vastly popular casual gaming styles: the dual-stick shooter and the match-three puzzle game. In Transcripted, players take control of the Nano Probe, a microscopic apparatus used to combat disease. Many weapon and ship upgrades allow players almost limitless customisation options for their Nano Probe. Successfully navigate through hordes of deadly pathogens to destroy the disease’s pseudo-DNA and defeat gigantic bosses.

Uurnog Uurnlimited - $14.99 / £13.49 / €14.99 (Nov 21)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Enter the wacky & whimsical world of Uurnog Uurnlimited, where you have only one goal: find your way around the world, and steal all the animals! Why? Because they’re adorable, and because video games. Uurnog Uurnlimited is a delightfully silly 2D platformer inspired by games like Super Mario Bros. 2, Lyle in Cube Sector, and Dyad. Play single-player or co-op, explore the world through its many mysterious doors, solve puzzles and gather the items and animals needed in your Save Room. Careful though — the Save Room also saves your mistakes (urr nurr!)

Worms W.M.D. - $29.99 / £19.99 / €29.99
The Worms are back in their most destructive game yet. With a gorgeous, hand-drawn 2D look, a full arsenal of weapons, crafting, vehicles and buildings, Worms W.M.D is the best Worms experience ever! In Worms W.M.D for Nintendo Switch™, players will be able to feel the full power of all the game’s campaign missions, levels, customisations and updates, including Liberation and the fan favourite Forts Mode whether at home or on the go. And coming first to Nintendo Switch, a whole megaton more!

This week there's also a retail release of Unbox: Newbie's Adventure in NA. There is also a special "Explorer's Edition" of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which includes the game, a two-sided map and an Explorer's Guide with "lore and learning" from the game.

The Switch eShop also has demos for Nine Parchments, Robonauts (EU-only) and Slime-san.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kawabata posted:

Has anyone here played Tokyo Mirage Sessions? I like it a lot (it's basically a Persona) and it's pretty challenging on hard but dungeons have been, huh, meh so far.

Do they get better later? Not that dungeons are always great in Persona games either, but still.
The dungeons in Tokyo Mirage Sessions are about a million times better than those in Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Fix posted:

Is there still an eshop thread, or do y’all just do that in here now?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518750

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 24, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

The Switch eShop also has demos for Nine Parchments, Robonauts (EU-only) and Slime-san.

Ohhh Slime-san demo nice.

Australia also got Robotnauts demo.

EBGames is also listing Battle Chasers Night War as a Nov 30th release. I'm really looking forward to it :nyoron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68HTLnKqjkY

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Has anyone tried The Mummy Demastered? It's 25% off and the pixelart looks enticing. Wayforward has done some quite solid Metroidvanias in the past.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kaleidoscope posted:

Has anyone tried The Mummy Demastered? It's 25% off and the pixelart looks enticing. Wayforward has done some quite solid Metroidvanias in the past.

It looks and sounds nice but has a huge glaring flaw in that if you ever get hit a lot (which is likely from the constantly spawning enemies) it will take you 10 minutes at least of farming enemies for health drops in tiny increments to get back to full and is a total chore.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

irlZaphod posted:

The dungeons in Tokyo Mirage Sessions are about a million times better than those in Persona 3 and Persona 4.

I totally believe that but it doesn't answer my question :)

I also find the skill "management" system complete loving garbage designed by someone who hasn't played a videogame ever in his life because why the hell would you only give the player 6-8 slots for skill type and make discarded skills disappear into nothing without ever specifying if, when, and how you can get them back.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ok Slime-san is basically Super Meat Boy

And I'm not sure if I'm ready to break a pro-controller in rage :v:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kawabata posted:

I totally believe that but it doesn't answer my question :)

I also find the skill "management" system complete loving garbage designed by someone who hasn't played a videogame ever in his life because why the hell would you only give the player 6-8 slots for skill type and make discarded skills disappear into nothing without ever specifying if, when, and how you can get them back.
How far are you in? Each one is pretty unique and has different puzzles and ways of progressing.

I think later on you get a way to restore skills that you remove. Part of the challenge of the game is deciding what to keep and what to remove. That's fairly standard for SMT/Persona games also, none of them give you unlimited slots for skills so you have to pick and choose, either by upgrading to better versions or replacing them with something different.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Slime-san loving owns and everyone should at least try the demo.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I loved Super Meatboy but I couldn't get into Slime-san. Its controls and mechanics felt awkward and it just didn't grab me the way Meatboy did.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

irlZaphod posted:

How far are you in? Each one is pretty unique and has different puzzles and ways of progressing.

I think later on you get a way to restore skills that you remove. Part of the challenge of the game is deciding what to keep and what to remove. That's fairly standard for SMT/Persona games also, none of them give you unlimited slots for skills so you have to pick and choose, either by upgrading to better versions or replacing them with something different.

Just finished the photographer's (3rd dungeon). They're quite creative artistically, yes, but there's a LOT of backtracking to do and the Gamepad Map (lol) is very impractical when the dungeon has multiple mini-floors, weird turns etc. The only thing that makes backtracking bearable is the excellent combat system. And the art design/color palette, this game always looks great.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Infinitum posted:

Sorry you can't walk properly
I mean yeah basically

first I dashed off the edge
then I tried to jump down to a little island that I assumed had a chest (slid right off it and died)
then I jumped off the edge by accident
then I literally walked off the edge and ragequit (because the camera locks when enemies are coming at you from behind in that part)

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If you lose a skill you want back you can just reforge the carnage that the skill is tied to. You'll have to fully level it first, but it's a pretty good system. The DLC gives you some farming areas which makes this process hilariously easy.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Walking into Gamestop, they have their physical Switch games at 20% off, which includes Doom, BOTW, Fire Emblem and LA Noire.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wait is Puyo Puyo basically Tetris Attack from the SNES days? I used to play that so hard.

And it’s on sale?! Bye money.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's Kirby's Avalanche + normal Tetris, not Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

It's Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine + normal Tetris, not Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

It's Kirby's Ghost Trap + normal Tetris, not Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It's Blast Corps + normal Tetris, not Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's Bust-a-move/Tetris 2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Puzzle Bobble

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh that’s right I forgot T Attack didn’t play like traditional Tetris/Bean Machine, still the attack and multiplayer is the poo poo I loved.

Heck yeah.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Takoluka posted:

Everyone forgets about Castlevania ReBirth on Wii.

yeah that game is fun! that one and chronicles on ps1 (not dracula x) are like the forogtten classicvanias. i think they're both loose remakes of like, a gb game and a weird japanese computer game? someone here probably knows

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 24, 2017

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Kawabata posted:

(it's basically a Persona)

i dunno dude for me persona lives and dies on the art style and uh yeah

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zas posted:

yeah that game is fun! that one and chronicles on ps1 (not dracula x) are like the forogtten classicvanias. i think they're both loose remakes of like, a gb game and a weird japanese computer game? someone here probably knows

ReBirth, I believe, was about Christopher Belmont from the first GB game and was a reimagining of it, and Chronicles was a remake of the Sharp X86000 or whatever CV1 port. Chronicles also gave us weird red Simon, which translated oh so well into Judgment.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i kinda want to buy puyo puyo because i adore the aesthetic of all things

i'm garbo at and generally don't have long term fun with puzzlers though

(e) same for that battle chef brigade thing but just dislike match 3 gameplay

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oops

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Download the incredibly generous demo to see if that will do it for you if you're not sure about it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The best thing about PPT that the demo doesn't have is that the start screen has instant "Play Tetris" and "Play Puyo Puyo" buttons. You don't even have to enter a menu, just start playing traditional Tetris immediately.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My wife has been playing the PPT demo for hours this week visiting family. It's good enough on its own, honestly.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
PPT looks like a lot of fun but unfortunately I'm just terrible with those kinds of puzzle games where you have to outpuzzle an AI opponent. I remember always failing at stuff like the first level of mean bean machine and super columns and a lot of later meteos stages.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Puyo Puyo is very hard for my feeble Western brain to grasp

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
PPT rules.

Online is a degenerate mess though if you ever wind up going against a Japanese Puyo player, though. I wish the Dpad was a bit more robust on the Pro controller, but it's a really good game. GOTY2014.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kaleidoscope posted:

Some hot takes from someone who really wanted it but didn't play it yet:

Looks really cool and everyone praises the graphics/art style. Good music (might be too depressing or atmospheric for you but it's great at its job.) Apparently the Switch version has framerate issues though, dunno if it's been patched.

Also it's apparently too "90's frustrating" for its own good. Infinite offscreen enemies and such. If you still play older Castlevanias and Mega Mans that do this and don't mind, it won't be an issue.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Ohhh Slime-san demo nice.

Australia also got Robotnauts demo.

EBGames is also listing Battle Chasers Night War as a Nov 30th release. I'm really looking forward to it :nyoron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68HTLnKqjkY

Hell yeah, thought Battlechasers wouldn't come out til 2018.

And yes everyone try Slime-san it's really fun and quirky

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I got battle chasers on steam but I got bored after a few hours. It felt too grindy and repetitive.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

enojy posted:

Some hot takes from someone who really wanted it but didn't play it yet:

Looks really cool and everyone praises the graphics/art style. Good music (might be too depressing or atmospheric for you but it's great at its job.) Apparently the Switch version has framerate issues though, dunno if it's been patched.

Also it's apparently too "90's frustrating" for its own good. Infinite offscreen enemies and such. If you still play older Castlevanias and Mega Mans that do this and don't mind, it won't be an issue.

Mega Man doesn't really do infinite offscreen enemies apart from a couple of specific rooms in the series.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Battle Chasers is a bit old school, missing some modern day improvements like speeding up fights, but I still really enjoyed it. It's a solid no frills standard RPG with some decent voice acting and an ok story.

Played the demo of NineParchments, I know it's just a demo of probably the tutorial area but the game seemed kind of simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Saw Blaster Master Zero was on sale in the sShop but apparently it's only on sale on the 3DS and not the Switch?

• Locked thread