Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Zotix posted:

Anywhere selling Ps4 store codes for discounted prices today?

You mean PSN money? That rarely goes on sale, but most retailers have PS Plus codes for 20ish% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Ya psn monies. Was hoping to snag a couple of $100 codes for a few bucks off.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks for the Life is Strange tips. I'll probably pick it up.

How's Witcher 3 on the Pro? I have the game on PC but it's barely running at all, and the price is pretty low even with the DLC.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Renoistic posted:

Thanks for the Life is Strange tips. I'll probably pick it up.

How's Witcher 3 on the Pro? I have the game on PC but it's barely running at all, and the price is pretty low even with the DLC.

w3 has gotten 2 years of support and plays well on console now

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ape Agitator posted:

Damnit, I love the concept, look, and atmosphere of Alien Isolation but the lack of autosave after a cutscene is kind of a hard pill to swallow. Watching 30 minutes of patient stealth gameplay erode because or a mistaken turn and then having to redo huge segments is very punishing, especially since it lacks any of the nice artificial elements of other stealth games that make more of a game of it. Hell, most of the cover isn't even waist high so you can't really hide much of the time to observe.

I feel sad that a game that works hard to be immersive and dynamic makes me wish for the more artificial nature of vision cones and awareness meters.

Medical is the hardest part of the game, and you don't have a lot of supplies at that point so wits are a must. Definitely don't backtrack to save, just push through. Play on normal and keep moving!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah you've basically got no options other than to die if you get spotted at that point which doesn't hold true for much longer. It was definitely the hardest part for me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

only just started alien in spite of buying it during the halloween sale, but I gotta say they nail the atmosphere completely

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They captured the look of the original movie flawlessly imo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
What the hell is Death Stranding

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fridge corn posted:

Nobody really knows.

Not even Kojima.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

fridge corn posted:

The future best game ever made.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

kirbysuperstar posted:

I hope you enjoy both!

I haven't tried Nier yet but I was having a very good time in Yakuza sobering people up with my fists before the game stopped and said "whoops you gotta wait for the rest of game to download"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

veni veni veni posted:

Imo they are in the sense that collectable crap is mostly located in cool looking areas you might miss otherwise. The vantage points are a must at least, I think. I did all of it and I never do that in games. The rewards are definitely poo poo though.

Really? The crafting is so inoffensive. The crafting and inventory aren't good but I thought it was largely ignorable. I thought TW3's crafting/inventory/upgrade system was painful as hell.

I think it's more the fact that there's nothing to work towards. You can get basically the best weapons and (almost the best) armor a third into the game and from then on it's just a question of what you should drop to stop your inventory from hitting it's limit again. Similarly, the top tier skill upgrades are really underwhelming so even leveling becomes very 'eh, whatever' after awhile. It's just very half-assed for a game that put so much effort into other aspects.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Manatee Cannon posted:

only just started alien in spite of buying it during the halloween sale, but I gotta say they nail the atmosphere completely

I think it has some of the best mechanical gadget and environment design ever seen in a game. They really do make you feel like you're playing as a competent engineer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Alien Isolation is a treat if you love the first movie. It's just gorgeous.

Imo still probably one of the most underrated games of this gen despite a few stumbles here and there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a game that I wanted to like more than I did, but I also dunno how you could change it to be better without losing the core of what it wanted to do. :/ On the other hand I played through the whole 20 hours or whatever it took so I didn't hate it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a game that I wanted to like more than I did, but I also dunno how you could change it to be better without losing the core of what it wanted to do. :/ On the other hand I played through the whole 20 hours or whatever it took so I didn't hate it.

All that really needs changing is to unshackle the Alien from following you constantly. Just have it roam around the entire map freely rather than forever coincidentally hanging around where the player is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The stuff with the Alien mostly worked for me, but at times it could be more annoying than scary.I still thought the game was 90% good stuff though. Once in a while the android parts, or some particularly annoying alien section would drag a bit but I never got too bored with it, despite it being pretty drat long.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All it needed was more than 20 minutes of QA :argh:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hi guys,

Posted this in the TV thread but trying it here as well.

Having a super annoying problem I hope you can help with, its driving me mad.

So, I have a ps4 and a Sony Bravia 4k TV (model 7073 in the UK).

When i start my ps4 and am in the normal menu, everything looks nice, colourful, fine etc. When I launch a game (such as battlefield 1) the screen goes off and comes on again in a different 'scene' or picture setting. This setting looks more washed out, a lot less vibrant and just not that good.

For the life of me, how do I stop the TV doing this? I want to have the same colours and vibrancy as when I was in the menu! Even if I can access the other scene settings (cinema, game, auto) etc once i'm in-game, none of them are as nice as the 'normal' screen more when i'm not in a game. Is there some setting somewhere I can change? I have tried toggling various things, but it keeps on happening. Super annoying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

henpod posted:

Hi guys,

Posted this in the TV thread but trying it here as well.

Having a super annoying problem I hope you can help with, its driving me mad.

So, I have a ps4 and a Sony Bravia 4k TV (model 7073 in the UK).

When i start my ps4 and am in the normal menu, everything looks nice, colourful, fine etc. When I launch a game (such as battlefield 1) the screen goes off and comes on again in a different 'scene' or picture setting. This setting looks more washed out, a lot less vibrant and just not that good.

For the life of me, how do I stop the TV doing this? I want to have the same colours and vibrancy as when I was in the menu! Even if I can access the other scene settings (cinema, game, auto) etc once i'm in-game, none of them are as nice as the 'normal' screen more when i'm not in a game. Is there some setting somewhere I can change? I have tried toggling various things, but it keeps on happening. Super annoying.

Try the Display settings on the PS4, disable HDMI-CEC.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
My biggest problem with Isolation is that the game really drags and you can tell with the bullshit objectives and plot points at the end of the game.

Also I wish it had more human enemies and less androids because seeing the alien carnage was awesome.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Do any of you notice a marked improvement in load times, texture fill-in etc. for games after defragging your PS4 every once in a while? I think it does help to rebuild the database every few months but I can't tell if that's just wishful thinking.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try the Display settings on the PS4, disable HDMI-CEC.

Thanks. Actually solved it by disabling HDR in the ps4 settings. I think since my PS$ doesn't output HDR but I had it to on made it all confused. Things look more vibrant now :)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Alien Isolation may be the scariest game I've ever played. The Alien is so perfectly captured. That game is a masterpiece.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

henpod posted:

Thanks. Actually solved it by disabling HDR in the ps4 settings. I think since my PS$ doesn't output HDR but I had it to on made it all confused. Things look more vibrant now :)

All ps4s output hdr you probably have your hdr settings on the tv hosed up to be ugly. The flash to black is what my tv does when the hdr clicks on

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Need suggestions for a surround sound headset that ISN'T the Wireless Gold. My big head stretches those out too much, my current pair feels loose already.

For reference I like my Corsair Void RGB headset for PC, but they don't support surround sound on consoles. I know Astros exist but I hear they're overrated.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hi I’m a bad nerd who doesn’t know anything about gizmos: are their gaming headphones that work on both PS4 and PC? Is that allowed?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Bust Rodd posted:

Hi I’m a bad nerd who doesn’t know anything about gizmos: are their gaming headphones that work on both PS4 and PC? Is that allowed?

Any 3.5mm headset will plug into the ps4 controller. Most USB headsets work plugged directly into the console.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Barely gotten out of the Embrace and I'm onboard the Ayyloy hype train already. The sarcasm and deadpan irony remind me a lot of the writing in Bound By Flame.
(I'm the only person that played and enjoyed this so be warned of a game that managed to rip off most of the greater plot points from Dragon Age Inquisition in spite of pre-dating it.)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Alien Isolation may be the scariest game I've ever played. The Alien is so perfectly captured. That game is a masterpiece.

I wish they'd patch VR for it. On PC it's loving insane with VR.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fuzz posted:

I wish they'd patch VR for it. On PC it's loving insane with VR.

I would die.

The PS4 controller has little built-in speakers though and they will make the motion detector ping, so it's beyond terrifying to hear that boop out of nowhere as you're rummaging around.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I don't think it makes any kind of special postgame save, it just keeps a save for you right before the final battle.

Everything else you said is right but this is slightly wrong. The save you get after beating the game dumps you right before the final battle BUT keeps any upgrades or levels you gained during that sequence. So it is a new save but only barely.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Well I want to get a new DS4 controller since the one I got with my matte OG PS4 2 years ago hardly holds a charge anymore and they're $40 on Amazon but I can't decide on a color. I'm torn between white, silver, and magma red.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

spasticColon posted:

Well I want to get a new DS4 controller since the one I got with my matte OG PS4 2 years ago hardly holds a charge anymore and they're $40 on Amazon but I can't decide on a color. I'm torn between white, silver, and magma red.

MAGMA

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

spasticColon posted:

The see through one like a 90's gameboy colour.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The see through one like a 90's gameboy colour.

If they sold one like that I would buy it in a heartbeat. I think I'll just get the magma red.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

spasticColon posted:

If they sold one like that I would buy it in a heartbeat. I think I'll just get the magma red.
They do. I almost bought one at Gamestop today

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So glad I got that blue UC4 one to replace my launch one. I'm gonna just sell the new one coming with my Pro asking with my launch system because I have a pet peeve about used controllers and hopefully the person buying appreciates a new controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Roman posted:

They do. I almost bought one at Gamestop today

I just now looked at one on Gamestop's website and it's got that foggy or frosty look that I don't like. I'm getting the magma red.