Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I’d like to see a comic book movie that isn’t presented like a comic book movie. That’s a maybe unpopular opinion.

Actually, there probably are some of these already. But it could be done with mainstream characters too. They don’t have to be stereotypical action-things, do they? That’s just the way they are at the moment.

Watch Tank Girl, Art School Confidential and American Splendor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Bill Murray is annoying and the only time he works well in a film is when they lean into that.

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I’d like to see a comic book movie that isn’t presented like a comic book movie. That’s a maybe unpopular opinion.

Actually, there probably are some of these already. But it could be done with mainstream characters too. They don’t have to be stereotypical action-things, do they? That’s just the way they are at the moment.

The Death of Stalin, Road to Perdition, Persopolis, A History of Violence. Something like Jessica Jones is very light on the action too.

Adaptions of comic books don't have to be stereotypical action films but adaptions of DC / Marvel characters generally do.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My unpopular comic movie opinion: Superman II is my favorite, closely followed by Superman III and TDK.

It's me, I'm the goon with the terrible taste. :negative:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Randaconda posted:

My unpopular comic movie opinion: Superman II is my favorite, closely followed by Superman III and TDK.

It's me, I'm the goon with the terrible taste. :negative:

I'm with you on judge dredd but I'm afraid I can't agree with any of these. Superman and batman are by far my least favorite comic book "franchises".

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

We Know Catheters posted:

Watch Tank Girl, Art School Confidential and American Splendor

Tank Girl is extremely entertaining if you want to watch a film just totally not fit together and be a crazy fun mess that you are baffled by the entire run time

It’s like every ten minutes they hand the script/directorial duties to a new art film student like they’re playing hot potato

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRUkOdL9s78

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Nov 24, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only Batman movies I like are the Keaton ones (still the best at actually being Batman, Bale and the others never captured Batman's basic mental illness like Keaton did.), and the Dark Knight.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesop Poprock posted:

Tank Girl is extremely entertaining if you want to watch a film just totally not fit together and be a crazy fun mess that you are baffled by the entire run time

It’s like every ten minutes they hand the script/directorial duties to a new art film student like they’re playing hot potato

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRUkOdL9s78

Wasn't Tank Girl butchered by the studio?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

Wasn't Tank Girl butchered by the studio?

I have no idea what the backstory was with the studio, but it was a 90s superhero film that wasn’t Batman so I’m gonna say yes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm not sure what the confusion is about how people can enjoy them. People say they are "paint by numbers" and derivative, but that doesn't mean they are bad. If they paint by numbers well and stay in the lines, it will still be a passable painting. There's not much creative about things like marvel movies but that's not what they are trying to do so it's silly to try and critique it like some art film.

Nobody is saying you have to like them or are wrong for doing so, but the reasons why other people like them are clear and obvious even if you don't agree with them.

The reasons aren’t obvious bc they’re boring. That’s my best word to describe them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tank Girl would have been amazing if it was fully animated in the same style as the cutscenes in the movie.

It's still a very entertaining movie though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grandmother of Five posted:

Me, upon seeing a beautiful flower: Pointless. This doesn't appear to contribute to society, no direct practical application or knowledge to glean from this. The flower will die without leaving a lasting impression in the fields of politics and mathematics; wasteful and inefficient.

Yeah, if you sat down for two hours at a time to stare at a picture of a flower, passively, on a regular basis, I would say there was something wrong with you.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 14:52 on Nov 24, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, if you sat down for two hours at a time to stare at a flower, passively, on a regular basis, I would say there was something wrong with you.

but what if the flower had explosions going off all around it and also aliens

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

but what if the flower had explosions going off all around it and also aliens

¨Those things are intensely boring and tedious when done over and over and over again. At some point you must realize that just two people sitting down and talking would be more exciting and dynamic than a by the numbers action scene that just goes through the motions.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

People talking has been done to death. Make a movie done completely in sign language.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

People talking has been done to death. Make a movie done completely in sign language.

I feel like there was a Seanbaby article about a vhs tape he found that was like this only focused on aerobics or dance. Or a combination of both

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I like superhero movies to varying degrees because the comics got me as a small childe and remembering how it used to feel is usually better than whatever tepid emotion current events or original stories manage. :cheers:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, if you sat down for two hours at a time to stare at a picture of a flower, passively, on a regular basis, I would say there was something wrong with you.

BEEP BOOP WHAT IS HOO-MON EMOTION

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
The fact that the same people will diss anime as being stupid poo poo for children and not give minutes later defend superhero movies with 'just turn off your brain and enjoy the pretty colors and explosions' is some :thunk: poo poo

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Eela6 posted:

The fact that the same people will diss anime as being stupid poo poo for children and not give minutes later defend superhero movies with 'just turn off your brain and enjoy the pretty colors and explosions' is some :thunk: poo poo

At least marvel movies don't have people loving girls that look 10 years old with the defense that they are 900 year old demons.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Randaconda posted:

BEEP BOOP WHAT IS HOO-MON EMOTION

Constantly returning for the same thing like a god drat robot with no will of his own is a sign of a healthy inner life, yes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Eela6 posted:

Don't worry, anime is worse.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have barely watched any anime but the fact that goons have such a hate on for it and act like it’s all creepy pedo poo poo is p silly.

Samurai Champloo is legit good, Miyazaki is good, I have a soft spot for yugioh and digimon, and Death Note and Seven Samurai are amazing insane fun.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Those are mainstream though. Like every single person working for Disney Animation lives and breathes Miyazaki for inspiration. The gross anime is the rest of the stuff. I remember there was a thread on here about some show called Azumanga that was like 600 pages long and when I looked at it the show is about 13 year old girls.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

At least marvel movies don't have people loving girls that look 10 years old with the defense that they are 900 year old demons.

No, they only normalize the idea that giving a government-sponsered private military force free reign to confront anything it considers a threat is the best way to keep the world safe with the defense that it's supposed to be mindless fun.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MizPiz posted:

No, they only normalize the idea that giving a government-sponsered private military force free reign to confront anything it considers a threat is the best way to keep the world safe with the defense that it's supposed to be mindless fun.

actually the defense is that it's a good idea

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Bill Murray is annoying and the only time he works well in a film is when they lean into that.

Murray has always had a smart rear end, passive-aggressive edge that has been used to great effect in several of his best movies - Stripes, Groundhog Day, What About Bob, Ghostbusters. It tends to be such a consistent trait of his characters that I sometimes wonder how much of it is an act.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ghostbusters sucks

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Don't worry, anime is worse.

One of my ex's made me watch all of Blue Exorcist with her. We also watched some other show with a really weird name that I can't even begin to spell, but it was about little kids in school and their stupid adventures. I hated those shows more than most anything, and even still I'd rather sit through those in their entirety again than sit through one Captain America movie.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

wht do people think of is the best way to cook steaks??

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

boiled in milk over hard

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Drench them in ketchup, bonus points if they are really expensive.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Microwave

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Flamethrower. Set an uncooked steak on some pavement and shoot flames at it for a few seconds. Then dribble with ketchup.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

EmmyOk posted:

It depends on the quality. If you got a good rib eye. Keep that poo poo rare and season it with only salt and pepper. If it's a chuck steak do whatever you want to it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Steak is a well done medium well done to rarely done it to it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What's blue steak?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

EmmyOk posted:

What's blue steak?

I believe it's when the flame is so hot that it's blue and you sear the steak on each side for like a few seconds.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The_Rob posted:

It depends on the quality. If you got a good rib eye. Keep that poo poo rare and season it with only salt and pepper. If it's a chuck steak do whatever you want to it.

You should at least baste good steaks with butter and herbs if you want it to be really good.

also medium rare is the perfect temperature. The only people who think meat that is still cool in the center is good is people who are overcompensating trying to be ron swanson.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

You should at least baste good steaks with butter and herbs if you want it to be really good.

also medium rare is the perfect temperature. The only people who think meat that is still cool in the center is good is people who are overcompensating trying to be ron swanson.

Yeah I like using a pretty good amount of butter when I cook a steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

The only people who think meat that is still cool in the center is good is people who are overcompensating trying to be ron swanson.

There was a time when I thought this had to be true - then I met my hippie-ish MIL, who pretty much likes her steak to be bleeding for no discernible reason. It would almost be better if she were trying to be Ron. That, at least, would be understandable. The worst part is that now my 14yo wants them the same way and I just can’t bring myself to undercook a steak.