Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The Midniter posted:

For anyone who tried the password above and it didn't work, it's actually ACBFRIDAY (All Clad Black Friday.

I caved and bought a 2 and a 3 qt copper core. It's a lot of money for a couple of saucepans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Amazon has the 8qt instant pot on sale and I love my stupid instant pot. Made the first stuffing that didn't blow in the thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah Mavericks are crap.

The thermoworks Smoke is really nice though.

Mine keeps losing its mind about the meat probe, and registering it at like 290F after a little while. I switched to a new probe and it still happens, in either plug. The grill temp probe works fine. I've never used it with the grill above 325F, so it can't be heat damage. Maybe I got a defective unit? When it works it's great, though I wish I turn off the beeping at the main device and just have it be on the remote.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I pulled the trigger on a 12" fry pan, since my 10.5 that came in my Caphalon set is often too small for my needs. My mom also wanted a 3qt copper core saucepan so I ordered them both at once for the free $80 ramekin set. My pan collection now is:

Caphalon 8-piece MCP set (8/10.5 skillet, saucepan, stockpot, chef's pan)
Lodge Cast Iron Set (skillet, dutch oven, griddle) plus a 12" skillet
Le Creuset Brasier
12" All Clad fry pan

I just need an enameled cast iron dutch oven and then I should be good for pretty much anything.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 24, 2017

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

OMorc Sous Vide Precision Cooker $76,

%50 off for 850w sous vide cooker, pull trigger? Anyone have/heard of this?

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 24, 2017

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Big Beef City posted:

Isn't the first gen Anova under $100 normally? It might be the refurbished one.

Fallorn posted:

Amazon has the 8qt instant pot on sale and I love my stupid instant pot. Made the first stuffing that didn't blow in the thing.

Thanks for the heads up. I just bought one as a Christmas present.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

Never believe the Amazon % saving, check the actual difference on camelcamelcamel.com. For that machine there actually is no savings, it's been $75 the entire time. It's also this chinese made thing that there are multiple listings for on Amazon under different names.
https://camelcamelcamel.com/Precision-Immersion-Circulator-Temperature-Ultra-quiet/product/B075ZSFL4J

Get the Anova, it's actually on sale and is only $35 more. https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-Precision-Bluetooth-Circulator/dp/B00UKPBXM4/
https://camelcamelcamel.com/Anova-Culinary-Precision-Bluetooth-Circulator/product/B00UKPBXM4

Plus you get a company with a proven CS track record for replacing the thing if it get's steam damaged.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Lawnie posted:

That said, hopefully y’all will keep an eye out for thermoworks sales this season. I’m going to replace mine once and for all with the right thermometer.

Funny you say that. Whole bunch of stuff on sale on the Thermoworks website for Black Friday.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

I saw a video reviewing their ThermoPop that said it was pretty great - does anyone have any experience with it? Right now we're using a pretty cheap grocery-store-kitchen-implements-section instant-read thermometer and I've been thinking about moving up to a nicer one, but the actual "classic" thermopens are still pretty expensive (like $65 on sale) vs the ThermoPop ($29).

I also see the DOT probe thermometer, which seems pretty neat because I've been thinking how nice it would be to have one but, again, the decent ones all seem to be a fair bit more expensive. Does anyone here have any experience with it worth sharing?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Ignoranus posted:

I saw a video reviewing their ThermoPop that said it was pretty great - does anyone have any experience with it? Right now we're using a pretty cheap grocery-store-kitchen-implements-section instant-read thermometer and I've been thinking about moving up to a nicer one, but the actual "classic" thermopens are still pretty expensive (like $65 on sale) vs the ThermoPop ($29).

I also see the DOT probe thermometer, which seems pretty neat because I've been thinking how nice it would be to have one but, again, the decent ones all seem to be a fair bit more expensive. Does anyone here have any experience with it worth sharing?

I use the other cheap model they make, and I've had it since before the Pop came out. Very good. It reads in 5 or 6 seconds instead of 2 or 3, but it has the same thin probe. It isn't quite as waterproof, but that hasn't caused any problems.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ignoranus posted:

I have a DOT and it's really nice I only wish it had a built in timer for double duty, but it's far better than the cheapo one I had before.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Ignoranus posted:

I have bought many, many previous-gen and current-gen Thermopops as gifts, and I have a current-gen model as well as a Mk3 Thermapen. It is as fast and just as accurate as my Thermapen and cost 1/4th what the big boy did.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah Mavericks are crap.

I've had an ET-733 since June 2015 that I've used countless times and the only time I've had an issue was when I got too drunk and forgot to check on a cook in my Hasty-Bake grill and the grease flare-ups melted one probe. Other issues I thought I had was just me being stupid and not realizing that the batteries were almost toast.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Anyone recommendations for electric stove+ovens? The review sites I've visited just say stuff like, cooks food real fast. Budget is < $1000. Not looking for anything fancy like IoT.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for a very good pepper grinder? I purchased this and it's terrible. The largest setting doesn't output anything substantial.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions for a very good pepper grinder? I purchased this and it's terrible. The largest setting doesn't output anything substantial.

This. The grind is a little on the rough side compared to my old one but it outputs like 3-4 times as much.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This. The grind is a little on the rough side compared to my old one but it outputs like 3-4 times as much.

This, except get the 9 incher so that if someone ever asks for the pepper, you can bang it down on the table and say "This model is called the magnum. I dont know if it's a better pepper grinder or dildo"

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

.Z. posted:

Never believe the Amazon % saving, check the actual difference on camelcamelcamel.com. For that machine there actually is no savings, it's been $75 the entire time. It's also this chinese made thing that there are multiple listings for on Amazon under different names.
https://camelcamelcamel.com/Precision-Immersion-Circulator-Temperature-Ultra-quiet/product/B075ZSFL4J

Get the Anova, it's actually on sale and is only $35 more. https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-Precision-Bluetooth-Circulator/dp/B00UKPBXM4/
https://camelcamelcamel.com/Anova-Culinary-Precision-Bluetooth-Circulator/product/B00UKPBXM4

Plus you get a company with a proven CS track record for replacing the thing if it get's steam damaged.

I sincerely appreciate the advice and skipped on this for now.

But lol dude

"It's only $35 more" for something selling for$75 dollars isn't a great point, ok?

Liberator_44
Jul 25, 2004
Any suggestions on a kitchen/bakers scale? Just for the home, so I can't imagine it needs to go beyond about a kilogram. I'm not sure if there is a big difference between the cheap ones and the more expensive ones when it come to home use?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Liberator_44 posted:

Any suggestions on a kitchen/bakers scale? Just for the home, so I can't imagine it needs to go beyond about a kilogram. I'm not sure if there is a big difference between the cheap ones and the more expensive ones when it come to home use?

This one is badass
Kitchen Scale - Bakers Math Kitchen Scale - KD8000 Scale by My Weight, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEKX35Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_JSzgAb7HPT5Y2
I used it every day in a commercial bakery to portion out dough and it never had a problem.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Thumposaurus posted:

This one is badass
Kitchen Scale - Bakers Math Kitchen Scale - KD8000 Scale by My Weight, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEKX35Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_JSzgAb7HPT5Y2
I used it every day in a commercial bakery to portion out dough and it never had a problem.

Agreed - mine's held up for half a decade of regular use at home. Much better than some of the dinky little kitchen scales out there that're ten or twenty bucks cheaper.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
What's the deal with air fryers? Are they any good? If so, which is the one to get?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

VERTiG0 posted:

What's the deal with air fryers? Are they any good? If so, which is the one to get?

They are basically a convection oven that agitates the food while cooking, so they get you something crispy the same way an oven would but without having to flip stuff or having soggy spots, the results don't match a deep fryer but if you don't mind that they can be nice. I don't know what ones are good or bad so I can't help you there, sorry.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The wirecutter was deeply disappointed in all tested models and the tech in general but has a recommendation for the best of the worst if you simply must get one

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Okay thank you, gently caress to airfryers then.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Glad to hear. I’ve been meaning to ask about them because the only people I know who have them aren’t into cooking so I don’t really trust their opinions.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So I preferred a ChefAlarm from ThermoWorks on BF. Anything I need to know for maintaing it? Specifically the probe.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Was at Metropolitan Market today and in their kitchen section they had a (seasonal, I gather) display of Finex cast iron pans.

These things are dead sexy. I have never heard of them before. I kind of admired it and moved on...

Went to the website... holy gently caress...125-270 dollars. God drat.

[Edit] Wirecutter review wasn’t kind...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 27, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
American manufacturing, man. We can't make anything cheap unless we make a million of them and with automation.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

American manufacturing, man. We can't make anything cheap unless we make a million of them and with automation.

Fair enough, but I can support murica and just get a Lodge.

I’m down with bespoke, artisan poo poo. But that price point seems a touch out of wack and also apparently they aren’t that great to use.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, where's that rant about how cast iron isn't supposed to be fancy and how your racist grandma who rode a bear used cast iron

edit: if you want the smooth bottom like the finex (unnecessary imo), you can get a $30 angle grinder and a sanding flap wheel for it

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 27, 2017

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Opinions on this Calphalon set?
Calphalon Classic Stainless Steel Cookware Set, 10-Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQWONBW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_kQbhAb14XB50C

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

10 Beers posted:

Opinions on this Calphalon set?
Calphalon Classic Stainless Steel Cookware Set, 10-Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQWONBW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_kQbhAb14XB50C

Looks good to me and at that price it's really hard to go wrong.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I have a similar set from them and it's been great so far.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
This is neat looking cast iron and though they're pricier than Lodge, they are nowhere near as bad as Finex: http://www.stargazercastiron.com/

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

$450 for the 14-piece All-Clad cookware set is like, a real good price, right? My pots and pans are piecemeal and in pretty bad shape, so if this cyber-monday price is as good as I think it is, I might as well take advantage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZCEN7Q8/

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Erwin posted:

$450 for the 14-piece All-Clad cookware set is like, a real good price, right? My pots and pans are piecemeal and in pretty bad shape, so if this cyber-monday price is as good as I think it is, I might as well take advantage.

That's a steal for a 14-piece set.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Erwin posted:

I'd go with the 10-piece set instead, a lot of the extra stuff in the 14 piece seems redundant and you save $200 there.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd go with the 10-piece set instead, a lot of the extra stuff in the 14 piece seems redundant and you save $200 there.

Yeah, makes sense, I ordered the 10-piece. After doing some research, the MC2 is the cheapest set All-Clad makes. The big difference is that the outside is aluminum, so it won't work on an induction stove (which I don't have) and it's not dishwasher safe, which actually really bums me out, but whatever, I can hand-wash some pans or just use the dishwasher and then clean up the aluminum once in a while. Still seems like it'll be a great set for $250.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I got this 8-piece set of MC 2 awhile back (for $115) and I've been pleased with it. I have a gas stove and no dishwasher so that's never been an issue for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
The Vitamix 5200 is currently just under $300 which according to CCC is an all-time low, so prob a good time to snag one if you want one

https://smile.amazon.com/Vitamix-00...GXN5A3PQ3WMC1NA