Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bicycle
Oct 23, 2013

quote:

1) A deleted post on the DarkWeb social media site “9gag” today stated

idk man maybe this shouldve been ur first clue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bicycle posted:

idk man maybe this shouldve been ur first clue

yeah i scrolled one tweet up and just went :what: and closed the tab

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

reddit user PickleRick_69

Black Friday is a great time to stock up on parachute account names

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

i had a reddit account since the old days but i literally never used it and they just deleted it at some point

i guess you get what you pay for

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Hed posted:

DickleLick

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

syscall girl posted:

i had a reddit account since the old days but i literally never used it and they just deleted it at some point

i guess you get what you pay for

they did you a favour

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
https://twitter.com/tacit_guardian/status/934008698640281600

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jewel posted:

i dont want to thumbnail the first tweet of the thread but holy poo poo read it; pee tape is almost here https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/933772881737240583

quote:

A deleted post on the DarkWeb social media site “9gag”

:thunk:

It would be better if it weren't trying so hard.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

:thunk:

It would be better if it weren't trying so hard.

:cripes:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:shrug:

I just wish it was written more subtly. Sorry for having bad wrong opinions on piss tape hoax satire.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

http://achewood.com/index.php/index.php?date=12262007

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N1C3WB8c0o

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I think I need a shittier test monitor because I could never get that software to actually work

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Nothing we didn't all know or suspect but an interesting write up: https://theintercept.com/2017/11/24/staggering-variety-of-clandestine-trackers-found-in-popular-android-apps/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

hmm, i wear glasses when i'm at home and contacts when i go out so i wonder how that'll work
update: faceid recognizes my face with no problem after I took my glasses off

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

"Clandestine Tracking" seems rather dishonest since half the article is discussing effectively cookies and backend correlation.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

apseudonym posted:

"Clandestine Tracking" seems rather dishonest since half the article is discussing effectively cookies and backend correlation.

cookies are like the original clandestine tracking

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
There's nothing clandestine at all about cookies.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Doom Mathematic posted:

if they’re in the fridge and your parents are home but you really wanna eat ‘em

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if they’re in the fridge and your parents are home but you really wanna eat ‘em

not me, couldn't be

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

not me, couldn't be

Then who?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Doom Mathematic posted:

tell that to the eu

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
imgur just sent me an email that they had a breach in 2014

quote:

What Information Was Involved?
The stolen account information included your email address and password from 2014. As you know, Imgur has never asked for real names, addresses, phone numbers, or other personally-identifying information (“PII”), so the information that was stolen did NOT include such PII. We have always encrypted your password in our database, but it may have been cracked with brute force due to an older hashing algorithm (SHA-256) that was used at the time. We updated our algorithm to the newer Bcrypt algorithm last year.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in incredibly tepid takes: public disclosure of data leaks should be required by law, with steep enough penalties that sv shitheads don't try to put it off until after the ipo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

in incredibly tepid takes: public disclosure of data leaks should be required by law, with steep enough penalties that sv shitheads don't try to put it off until after the ipo
the workaround for this is to not become aware of data leaks

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

anthonypants posted:

it's like how at work they tell us to never ever ever look at patents because it's triple damages if the infringement is 'willful'

if we do need patent information we have the lawyers do that for us

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

imgur just sent me an email that they had a breach in 2014

i'm looking through my imgur account* they actually have a pretty good handle on me cuz i use those browser extensions that let you right-click to upload

but why are my selfies there it looks like they have loaded every iteration of my home computers and phones

xXx420NiagraGokuDxMaesterxXx, btw

*and no i don't participate in the "imgurian community" *shudder*

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 25, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

anthonypants posted:

the workaround for this is death by guillotine for workarounds

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought there was a breach disclosure law for California residents already.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I thought there was a breach disclosure law for California residents already.

there is, which Uber ignored, so it’s doubly hilarious

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

there is, which Uber ignored, so it’s doubly hilarious
turns out, laws only count if there's consequences for breaking them #lifehack

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

hooray for EU data law

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
here's a followup to that thread from earlier https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/934509343801860098

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lomarf
https://twitter.com/garypendergast/status/933543456982450176

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

you don't just get to call your dumbass joke a "social experiment" when it doesn't go over well :colbert:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

you don't just get to call your dumbass joke a "social experiment" when it doesn't go over well :colbert:

just a prank, bro

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
idgi is he like mad that the random people getting paid pennies to transcribe receipts instead of ocr are doing it online instead of in some cheap call center like workplace

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

fishmech posted:

idgi is he like mad that the random people getting paid pennies to transcribe receipts instead of ocr are doing it online instead of in some cheap call center like workplace
defined containment of processing ppi is a very important aspect of infosec fishmech, especially if it's just farmed out to whoever wants to do it for the lowest cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

defined containment of processing ppi is a very important aspect of infosec fishmech, especially if it's just farmed out to whoever wants to do it for the lowest cost

in other words yes he is mad that the company does not have magic ocr technology and is instead mostly having things read by humans, as is usually required.

• Locked thread