Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hunt11 posted:

Does anybody use the lore of beasts for lizardmen?

Sometimes. Flock of Doom is still real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Is there a way to see what perks the Blessed Spawnings get for Lizardmen? Some, like Perfect Vigour, are easy, while others are a bit trickier to figure out if you can't recruit non-vetted versions of the troops in general. I got that Blessed Carnosaurs are fast as hell and have better attack/worse defense, but I can't quite figure out what Blessed Temple Guard get since I can only recruit vet 8 Temple Guard at the moment. Better charge and more armor, it looks like?

Some of the blessed variants just have better starting stats and no real special thing (such as perfect vigour), in the case of Temple Guard, they have extra armour and even more Melee defence. Since they can only be recruited at vet 0, it can be hard to notice the defence.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How have I played this game since release and not noticed the icon to the left of the units numbers show if a unit is large or small :psyduck:

This was new in TW:WH2 and yeah, it's helpful.

Another new and useful thing to TW:WH2 is being able to disable skirmish mode by default and enable guard mode by default. Changes the game, especially as high elf.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

madmac posted:

It's never a bad plan to start leveling up a generic Lord. Even if you dismiss them in 20 turns to replace them with a named Lord, they'll still be around for you to hire again later and keep all their levels and stuff.

Generic vampire lords are probably the best generic lords in the game. I prefer them over the necromancer LLs.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

new phone who dis posted:

Generic vampire lords are probably the best generic lords in the game. I prefer them over the necromancer LLs.

Both Kemmler and Ghorst have been significantly buffed recently and might be worth another look-over, but mostly, I agree.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Ravenfood posted:

Both Kemmler and Ghorst have been significantly buffed recently and might be worth another look-over, but mostly, I agree.

Weren't those changes reverted for mortal empires?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Strigoi ghoul kings are my favorite generic lords in the game :allears:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

nessin posted:

I thought you were talking about armies from public order rebellions, because they're the ones that grow. The new random mixed armies that pop up just come fully built when they spawn, you can't attack them when they're just 4 or 5 units. Unless maybe that's a difficulty thing, but at hard and up I've never seen one not spawn fully built.

Rogue armies on hard pop up with ~10 units and if you leave them be they'll encamp and build up to a full stack and more.

I had plenty of time to deal with them when they were minnows at war with my well-defended neighbour, and then boom (literally) they join someone in a war against me and so did Elessaeli fall.

Kainser posted:

Glade Lord (Male)

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kainser posted:

Them and the treemen here.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I'm playing a Mortal Empires Reprisal update beta game as the Empire, also with Vargs' Norsca Nerf mod and the Climate Overhaul mod, and I'm having a great time so far. Apart from the Skaven being too weak still, things have been developing pretty much as I'd want them to - the Dwarfs haven't become a deathball, Lothern is huge but confined to Ulthuan, Mousillon and Bretonnia are in a death struggle and I'm having my own personal hellwar against the Vampire Counts. It's all working out well, this is the situation at turn 110:

The Skaven issue is exemplified by how they conquered Estalia and half of Bretonnia and then Tilea took all of that land off them, leaving them only with Skavenblight. I think Queek's still stuck down in his starting province too. Oh, and I've noticed that almost all the Foundation changes are in except that the Regiments of Renown don't have their 10 turn cooldown.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How have I played this game since release and not noticed the icon to the left of the units numbers show if a unit is large or small :psyduck:

Because the Total War UI is trash. I think this was also new to 2/late 1 patch.

The game owns bones on Legendary, save/turn times aren't even that bad, and at least in my first run through, the VC poo poo all over the dwarves. Hoping that's not a freak incident but a reflection of the campaign map being more balanced at this level (guessing leadership boosts affect all AI auto-resolves, which would boost non-dwarf auto resolve figures as dwarves are already near 100 to begin with).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How's skarsnik handling mortal empires? still able to flood the world in goblins I take it, do they want to settle outside the mountains now or keep the empire towns around as cash pinata's like tw1?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How's skarsnik handling mortal empires? still able to flood the world in goblins I take it, do they want to settle outside the mountains now or keep the empire towns around as cash pinata's like tw1?

Skarsnik, just like Belegar, will generally try and push/migrate towards Eight Peaks now. It's actually pretty cool to see, though of course Skarsnik has a harder time of it since all his neighbors hate him.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kainser posted:

I personally don't think the opportunity to sail over to the old world adds that much to the game.

Probably a bit of a personal taste thing though.

I love it. I play only ME because you can sail to the other continent early, but at a disadvantaged. And I did love the medieval 2 goon lp a scottsman in Egypt.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Yeah that's the best way to do TW games. Scotsman in Egypt was my intro to the series. When I'm back from vacation I'm gonna sail wurrzag to some nice spot and make a new home for the nude and angry orcs.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

toasterwarrior posted:

Skarsnik, just like Belegar, will generally try and push/migrate towards Eight Peaks now. It's actually pretty cool to see, though of course Skarsnik has a harder time of it since all his neighbors hate him.

also belegar is a dorf so his autoresolve is stupid and broken

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Since we're doing this, how do you actually see the overcast costs for spells? I've been playing since release and have just winged it this far.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Martout posted:

also belegar is a dorf so his autoresolve is stupid and broken

In my current ME run (with the mod that puts Skarsnik in 8 Peaks and starts Queek closer), Belegar appears to have given up on his quest and instead has built a vigorous new kingdom out of the various overlapping southeast Old World mountain ranges, with the aid of me, his best friend... Durthu?! If he stepped foot out of the mountains I'd have to kill him dead, but as it is he's been a great help in my quest to plant new forests (ie, conquer at least one full province) in every region this side of the ocean. It's a fun style of campaign and Durthu is a blast, I'd recommend it to anyone tired of traditional map painting.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm making a recruitable lord character and I can't get the unit card on the custom battle screen to display properly. That should be the simplest part!

The Har Ganeth Executioner animations are cool but they clip through any sensibly ornate pointy helmet.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I keep getting that weirdo Dark Elf/Warriors of Chaos Rogue Army popping up in my ME runs. The AI must love them because they crush pretty much everything they touch, last game with Bretonnia I sailed down to Araby and the edgelord brigade had formed a mini-empire and were in the middle of finishing off Queek.

They're also bi-polar as gently caress, sometimes they'll instantly declare war and hellmarch towards my capital and sometimes they'll throw fat stacks for alliances and trade deals, it's absurd.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gimme some advice on expanding as Louen. Starting with a two town province is lame and I wasn't able to grab Moosilon or Maureen burg in the first 20 turns.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Krazyface posted:

Since we're doing this, how do you actually see the overcast costs for spells? I've been playing since release and have just winged it this far.

The easiest way to see is the spell help in the top left. However, if you're in the skill tree and switch to details, the icon should reflect the cost (including skill reductions) iirc.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Gimme some advice on expanding as Louen. Starting with a two town province is lame and I wasn't able to grab Moosilon or Maureen burg in the first 20 turns.

restart lol

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Get good and capture Marienburg on turn 2? It basically drives your entire income, and then you can farm the orc rebellions for free chivalry or just bumrush the settlement in the mountains if you're too lazy to do that.

Just restart if you can't manage that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Don't do that, it is ahistorical, Marienburg is not part of Bretonnia. You should chill in your province, get NAP's and defensive alliances with all Breton Dukes, beat up whoever bullies them, confederate them with their techs, sail off to burn down Norsca or the Dark Elves, befriend the Empire and help them against Chaos and Vampires, you know, just roleplay. Your victory condition is accumulating chivalry, not conquering territory and the best way to do that is to go out there and just kick rear end.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

Don't do that, it is ahistorical, Marienburg is not part of Bretonnia. You should chill in your province, get NAP's and defensive alliances with all Breton Dukes, beat up whoever bullies them, confederate them with their techs, sail off to burn down Norsca or the Dark Elves, befriend the Empire and help them against Chaos and Vampires, you know, just roleplay. Your victory condition is accumulating chivalry, not conquering territory and the best way to do that is to go out there and just kick rear end.

Didn't Bretonia invade Marienburg repeatedly in the fluff? Every start near that port wants a piece of that action.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pendent posted:

Didn't Bretonia invade Marienburg repeatedly in the fluff? Every start near that port wants a piece of that action.

A lot, yeah. It's the most common cause of low intensity warfare between the Empire and Bretonnia, as they keep fighting each other to prevent the other from holding the port city.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pendent posted:

They've wanted to but never quite managed. But yeah, they really want Marienburg, as does the Empire.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I just finished up a ME Brettonia campaign(As the Fey Enchantress though). My plan going into it was farm the orcs for 20 turns, murder the beastmen and then head off into the new world with crusades while confederating Brettonia. It all went as planned up to the murder beastmen part.

Moussilon owned everything and was growing big so i had to murder them first. Then the Empire invaded some of the dukedomes and while i planed to stick to murdering evil races, we can't have that can we? So off to murdering some foreign invaders. Then the giant dickheads also known as Marianneburg tried where the Emperor failed and now i ended up with the wastelands, since i can't burn human towns due to chivalry.

Turns out the Empire was desperat due to getting their asses kicked by Skarsnik, oh well i had armies there, off we go! Took Nuln and oh, Vampire counts and Von Carsteins everywhere? Spreading corruption? You can probably see where we are heading, and it is not west. Not only half the empire, but large parts of the mountains, the borderlands, badlands AND tthe starting area for Belegar was under vampire control. Que tons of re-dead skeletons and Manfred-killing later, including a sneak attack on Brettonia that was stopped by panic-raising a peasant army(The lord then got some knights after getting the wows, sailed south and took Ekrund from the vampires in a series of battles) i somehow ended up with 1900 Chivalry, murdered some Orcs in the Errantry Wars and finished of some Norsca settlements in Kislev for the final 2k. Great campaign would run down skeletons with knights again!

tl dr: Wanted to murder rats and lizards in the new world as the Fey Enchantress, ended up re-killing dead dudes for 99% of the campaign, knights own.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there a mod that updates the Old World Caster LL skill trees to be similar to the New World casters? I know the JR Skill Overhaul covers everyone in their red lines but the differences in the spell trees (and completely lack of other options) makes playing the Old World casters frustrating (except for Isabella).

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
I was having an excellent start as Pestilens in the vortex campaign, then it kind of went away from me. I kept pushing outwards to get more warpstone sites, but eventually i got too big and now food is killing me, even with food command on every province. I sent a fleet to go interrupt the elves, but when it landed, every settlement was red and I couldn't replenish the troops I lost. Tyrion just keeps pulling away in score, how is he doing it?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Has that mod that made the Wood Elf minor settlements bigger been updated yet? I feel weird and naked with all these tiny towns.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

packetmantis posted:

Has that mod that made the Wood Elf minor settlements bigger been updated yet? I feel weird and naked with all these tiny towns.

I'm pretty sure that is the wood elf experience, you are supposed to feel weird and naked. It isn't like tree people wear clothes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

nessin posted:

Is there a mod that updates the Old World Caster LL skill trees to be similar to the New World casters? I know the JR Skill Overhaul covers everyone in their red lines but the differences in the spell trees (and completely lack of other options) makes playing the Old World casters frustrating (except for Isabella).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1191799986&searchtext=gelt

The Gelt mod here was the one I was using. Take note that you either take only one of them or the whole compilation; you can't mix and match.

Right now he's only done Gelt and the Fay Enchantress from the OW LLs, but rest assured that from my experience with his Gelt overhaul, they become complete monsters very quickly. He's prioritizing straight-up caster Lords over hybrids like, say, Archaon and Azhag, so monitor his discussion page if he hasn't covered other OW Lords yet.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

packetmantis posted:

The one that allowed the wood elves to build to tier 3 in every province capital/main city? I liked that one too. I don’t think it’s too hard to mod, and probably similar to the code from the first one for WH1. Maybe someone can port that over

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Jesus Christ empire is a cluster gently caress without end. I finally got through Mannfred and prepared to push his capitals but suddenly four dwarf stack swarmed up from the pass bit and started capturing everything. Thanks very much you 4ft vultures.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Do people invest much in combat skills on their lords? I almost never do since army buffs are so effective, but I'm doing up a skill tree for a character now and I'm wondering how much effort I should put into a melee line.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

sassassin posted:

Do people invest much in combat skills on their lords? I almost never do since army buffs are so effective, but I'm doing up a skill tree for a character now and I'm wondering how much effort I should put into a melee line.

I turn nearly all my lords into one man armies because I find it funny having a guy on a flying horse or some poo poo cruise the skies and single handedly win battles while racking up hundreds of kills.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm doing a knockoff of Eltharion and I'm locking all his swordmastery combat skills behind a Blind skill that tanks his starting stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

sassassin posted:

JBP touches on it but I'll put combat skills on a Lord with a flying and/or monstrous mount if their blue skills suck and I have points to spare. If they have no mounts, I generally won't (except Dwarfs for obvious reasons).