Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
don't listen to fishmech. the DVD GOUT (George's Original Unaltered Trilogy) releases are really bad transfers without color correction and with a bad deinterlace process applied that causes visual artifacting. that said they are the easiest way to get the original cuts

the De-specialized version of Ep. IV uses a lot of different sources to clean up the video, including production stills and a reel from a 35mm print that was donated. there was also a broadcast HDTV version of ep 4 se that predated the blu-ray release and didn't have all of the changes from that release. it's definitely better than watching in any standard definition release

the ep. 5 & 7 despecialized editions have much heavier use of the GOUT DVDs because there wasn't as much source material available. essentially you have lots of scenes cutting back & forth between HD and SD. they did manage to digitally re-add darth vader's eyebrows though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I should check if I can find my bootleg laserdisc DVD transfers of the original trilogy. Those were p deece if my memory serves

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Silver Alicorn posted:

don't listen to fishmech. the DVD GOUT (George's Original Unaltered Trilogy) releases are really bad transfers without color correction and with a bad deinterlace process applied that causes visual artifacting. that said they are the easiest way to get the original cuts

the De-specialized version of Ep. IV uses a lot of different sources to clean up the video, including production stills and a reel from a 35mm print that was donated. there was also a broadcast HDTV version of ep 4 se that predated the blu-ray release and didn't have all of the changes from that release. it's definitely better than watching in any standard definition release

the ep. 5 & 7 despecialized editions have much heavier use of the GOUT DVDs because there wasn't as much source material available. essentially you have lots of scenes cutting back & forth between HD and SD. they did manage to digitally re-add darth vader's eyebrows though.
i'm not sure whether to believe all of this or if it's a joke post

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

anthonypants posted:

There is a 16mm print of the film known as "Puggo Grande" that was found in Italy. It was used to correct deinterlacing artifacts in the death star attack run scenes (parts were redone in CG so no known HD versions are available)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

first figure out if fishmech is being serious or moving the goalposts, you must

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i'd rather have the canonically correct one that doesn't have some dipshit werewolf in it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hifi posted:

i'd rather have the canonically correct one that doesn't have some dipshit werewolf in it

why tho

so you can pretend your viewing is "pure"?

mate my kids just watch whatever it was I downloaded and then run outside and play light savers (sic) with sticks while you fellas inside jerking each other off over details

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Han murdered Greedo in cold blood.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Silver Alicorn posted:

really bad transfers without color correction and with a bad deinterlace process applied that causes visual artifacting.

thats also a description of the despecialized edition, only that adds extra garbage from converting footage from 50 hz/25 fps broadcasts and other such nonsense to the mix.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
luke skywalker IS darth vader in a surprise fight club like twist

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

luke skywalker IS darth vader in a surprise fight club like twist

i swear i saw some dipshit trying to analyze empire when luke was all bringing a weapon into degobah and yoda spelled it out that you don't need a loving weapon and your dumb aggression but now this is somehow hard to figure out?

he saw himself as vader because that's the dark side, it's a movie for children and lucas will try to backtrack and tell you the same

also empire was the one that he didn't fat-finger and obv the fan favorite

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
most people who "want to see the original star wars from before the special edition" are after all wanting to see what they remember from the early-mid 80s laserdisc/ced/vhs/betamax/v2000 SDTV quality presentations. a very few of them will be remebering the late 80s/early 90s home Super 8 mm projection releases. then there's a few who remember the re-done but still not special editions anamorphic widescreen laserdisc/regular widescreen vhs release

all of these versions are different from any of the theatrical releases. many of them differ from each other. none of them are the same as the actual originals tar wars released in 1977.

the despecialized edition chases a myth and in the process subjects you to terrible mishmashes of content sources that do not go together correctly and you should not bother with it. its creators are worse than georg lucas

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

most people who "want to see the original star wars from before the special edition" are after all wanting to see what they remember from the early-mid 80s laserdisc/ced/vhs/betamax/v2000 SDTV quality presentations. a very few of them will be remebering the late 80s/early 90s home Super 8 mm projection releases. then there's a few who remember the re-done but still not special editions anamorphic widescreen laserdisc/regular widescreen vhs release

all of these versions are different from any of the theatrical releases. many of them differ from each other. none of them are the same as the actual originals tar wars released in 1977.

the despecialized edition chases a myth and in the process subjects you to terrible mishmashes of content sources that do not go together correctly and you should not bother with it. its creators are worse than georg lucas

i was in high school when the re-releases hit the theaters and my nerd friends went to that and then lan parties to play warcraft 2, marathon and eat taco bell

it was my chance to see them on the big screen and i didn't hate the mos eisley dinosaurs it was a good time

also marathon is a poor apple man's quake but ya go and play with friends and it's acceptable

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
edit not quote

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i saw the rereleases. it was fun.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if i were gonna watch star wars again i'd probably wanna watch the nicest looking version of the ones i had as a kid, which were the vhs ones that came in these boxes. these were before any of the special editions came out and note that the first one still says "star wars" on it instead of "a new hope"

which are those?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

if i were gonna watch star wars again i'd probably wanna watch the nicest looking version of the ones i had as a kid, which were the vhs ones that came in these boxes. these were before any of the special editions came out and note that the first one still says "star wars" on it instead of "a new hope"

which are those?

the good ones, i think

the ones i rented from mohawk video, spfld. were worn the gently caress out but it was a subjective experience

being a little kid i didn't get angry about ewoks after staying up for 6 hours

i went to an abysmal summer camp where we had to do 6am calisthenics to the yub nub song though

it was one of the camps where me and a friend ended up doing enough poo poo to be sent home

and this place had a mentally handicapped girl who got to be first to ride the homebrew slip-and-slide (black glad bags all the way down a steep hill and soaked in dawn detergent and ending in blackberry bushes)

kids don't do a star war

uh, i'm rambling but my compute problem was a 286 that i used to play King's Quest

that giant tower crashed on me exactly 0 times

my ipad eats poo poo on casual games

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in like 1996 i had an old lovely 286 (which at the time i guess was only sorta-old and somewhat-lovely) that i stole from a dumpster behind some office building that was getting torn down. it only ran dos and i installed king's quest 3 and star control on it, both of which i got on copied floppies (5.25) from a friend. kicked rear end at star control but never loving beat kq3. poo poo game

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I saw star wars on VHS recordings my dad made from TV so idk which version those were exactly but at least there's no CGI song and dance routine or CGI jabba.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

in like 1996 i had an old lovely 286 (which at the time i guess was only sorta-old and somewhat-lovely) that i stole from a dumpster behind some office building that was getting torn down. it only ran dos and i installed king's quest 3 and star control on it, both of which i got on copied floppies (5.25) from a friend. kicked rear end at star control but never loving beat kq3. poo poo game

my mom's friend was a bit of a pirate and she gave us floppies of the full version of commander keen

and iD software was raving about

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fishmech posted:

the first version released to theaters didn't have the silly "episode 4" business in it, even

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
come to think of it quake didn't seem to have 256 colors

mostly mud and dark mud, and chthulu mud and bad fish but also brown

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
most of the games i had as a kid were trialware versions so i only played like the first level of doom or quake, but my dad did get a copy of prince of persia and a photocopy of the manual which couldn't have been legit

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
my understanding is that there were even differences among the various theatrical rereleases that Star Wars got back in the early 80s so even a scan of an old 35mm print may not be """original"""

that said I know of at least one pirate release that is made purely out of scans of old 35mm prints. the image quality isn't great but honestly short of a raid on the Fox vault that's probably the best one can hope for from a ""despecialized"" edition. if anything it ought to make the experience more ~~*authentic*~~

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

which are those?

those were the 1995 VHS/LaserDisc release. they both work from the same source materials but since the laserdisc has better color resolution and supports anamorphic for the widescreen it's the better version to get. collectors call them the "faces trilogy" for the obvious reason. they're basically the best version out there if you really can't stand the special edition.

the special editions come out on vhs and laserdisc in 1997

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my understanding is that there were even differences among the various theatrical rereleases that Star Wars got back in the early 80s so even a scan of an old 35mm print may not be """original"""

that said I know of at least one pirate release that is made purely out of scans of old 35mm prints. the image quality isn't great but honestly short of a raid on the Fox vault that's probably the best one can hope for from a ""despecialized"" edition. if anything it ought to make the experience more ~~*authentic*~~

yeah totally like, there was always little tweaks being made. iirc some of the prints being used in late 1977 already had a bit of adr done for some lines? and of course they added in "episode IV" to the opening scroll pretty early too

the original star wars has the most changes like that, simply because lucas didn't have more money than god to make it, so there was all sort sof production shortcuts being made especially for the special effects and some practical effects shots that resulted in needing cleanup or rerecords or whatever.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i dont think i've ever watched a star war

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the name of the series is an intentional misspelling lucas came up with to get symmetry in the titles; the proper title would be "stars war"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RISCy Business posted:

i dont think i've ever watched a star war

the best thing you can say about it is that it's a great proof of concept for physical effects in the first trilogy and then digital in the second trilogy and then disney took over

watch rogue one though, except huh, if you haven't seen the previous movies maybe that won't do it for you

and annual holiday wars 8 is coming out soon

it's something to do with the fam i guess

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
happy life day everywookie

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
I'm going to delve into Haus of Tech Support I guess with this but maybe someone can lend me a hand.

I got shanghai'd into installing the new Windows 10 "creators update" or whatever the gently caress it's called. Since I am a poor, I use my laptop --HDMI--> television as monitor, etc.

It has an NVidia GTX1050 in this thing. Before the update everything worked fine with the HMDI. It also works fine if I open the laptop up and use it with its regular screen.

But with HDMI, if I use the default settings it's like looking through a nightvision goggle or something - the colors are like green + black.

The only settings that work even remotely with the correct color scheme are:

Use NVIDIA color settings, output color formay YCbCr422, depth 12bpc, range Limited.

This makes the colors correct so that I can use the computer, however, the output is now extremely crisp. I don't know how to describe it other than text, letters, etc, if you get close to the TV, are rendered in black with "halos" of other colors. It's extremely crisp - in that everything is now incredibly sharp but just a tinyyyy bit of blur around everything (text, borders, etc). It's like looking through someone else's glasses and gives me a headache. Is there any solution to this? Or am I just hosed basically. I'd really rather just use the normal settings like I always have - this update seems to have broken it and I can't roll back the update I don't think.

Normally I would just install linux on a system that was doing this since I'm a huge dweeb, but since I use this one for work as well I need to have Windows 10 on it.

Dunno if this is the right place to post it but I figured you guys would know. :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It just sounds like your graphics drivers got all hosed up. Remove them and install a different version?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

there's like five different graphics settings panels between ms/nvidia/tv so it could be one of those

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

du -hast posted:

I'm going to delve into Haus of Tech Support I guess with this but maybe someone can lend me a hand.

I got shanghai'd into installing the new Windows 10 "creators update" or whatever the gently caress it's called. Since I am a poor, I use my laptop --HDMI--> television as monitor, etc.

It has an NVidia GTX1050 in this thing. Before the update everything worked fine with the HMDI. It also works fine if I open the laptop up and use it with its regular screen.

But with HDMI, if I use the default settings it's like looking through a nightvision goggle or something - the colors are like green + black.

The only settings that work even remotely with the correct color scheme are:

Use NVIDIA color settings, output color formay YCbCr422, depth 12bpc, range Limited.

This makes the colors correct so that I can use the computer, however, the output is now extremely crisp. I don't know how to describe it other than text, letters, etc, if you get close to the TV, are rendered in black with "halos" of other colors. It's extremely crisp - in that everything is now incredibly sharp but just a tinyyyy bit of blur around everything (text, borders, etc). It's like looking through someone else's glasses and gives me a headache. Is there any solution to this? Or am I just hosed basically. I'd really rather just use the normal settings like I always have - this update seems to have broken it and I can't roll back the update I don't think.

Normally I would just install linux on a system that was doing this since I'm a huge dweeb, but since I use this one for work as well I need to have Windows 10 on it.

Dunno if this is the right place to post it but I figured you guys would know. :)

I saw someone in a different thread saying that the combo for Nvidia and creators update royally hosed the color profiles for a bunch of poo poo and they were scrambling to patch it out in new drivers

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
If anyone is wondering / gives a gently caress, I reverted to an older driver version and the problem still persisted.

Eventually I found out that an even _older_ version (from early last year) fixed the problem. Apparently the new Win 10 update somehow takes direct control over part of the video drivers from the NVidia controller app or something, and then, in typical botnet Win10 fashion, fucks everything up.

Anyway thanks! It turns out it was the drivers, and I needed an even older driver reversion to fix it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

how video navigation work on technical level? im trying to help friend convert videos from a surveillance cam, and while we've gone from "cant navigate the timeline in avidemux" to "can navigate the timeline with 10 second step", there must be a setting that will allow for a smaller step than that

the videos are raw h264 avc10 from a cheapo ip surveillance cam, that we currently convert to mpeg-ts through vlc and then to mp4 in handbrake

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how video navigation work on technical level? im trying to help friend convert videos from a surveillance cam, and while we've gone from "cant navigate the timeline in avidemux" to "can navigate the timeline with 10 second step", there must be a setting that will allow for a smaller step than that

the videos are raw h264 avc10 from a cheapo ip surveillance cam, that we currently convert to mpeg-ts through vlc and then to mp4 in handbrake

Sounds like the video file might not have full frames too often, which makes navigating more discretely than every 10 seconds a pain.

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

im still on windows 7 and Microsoft Security Essentials no longer works :(

do i finally need to upgrade? i dont wanna :(

also is it really 200 bux to get the pro version of win 10 just to get the ability to turn off msft surveillance?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Ator posted:

also is it really 200 bux to get the pro version of win 10 just to get the ability to turn off msft surveillance?

use your win7 key to install win10

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

you have to pinky promise that you need windows 10 for accessibility features tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ator posted:

MSE is supported on Windows 7 until all Windows 7 support ends in January 2020.

Go re-download the installer or something.