Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Inescapable Duck posted:

And maybe a moon-themed Rainbow Road, though that might get spoilery.

That already exists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I feel like I'm missing something here and I'm pulling my hair out. Is there some secret / special combination to get 8bit Mario to run faster? As an example, I'm trying to get this star. I'm already up there, but for some reason in the video halfway through Mario's run he significantly speeds up and when he jumps can reach the moon. I never speed up like that, and if I run to the edge and jump I fall down before even getting to the second to last coin.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

"Hold Y to Dash," as instructed by the on-screen prompts.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're also the same controls used for the past twenty years in every 3D mario game since Super Mario 64. The only change is the cap-throw extra jump.

I don't remember dive or triple jump in Galaxy? That's the only other 3D mario I've played.

quote:

I agree. Having a second person play the whole time is much easier than learning a simple 3 or 4 button sequence in a game designed for kids
The original post was that I was annoyed about the fact we've played the entire game two player but it won't let us play Koopa Racing together. Which means we're learning to play the game all over again after already collecting 800 moons. I don't think that's paticularly unreasonable. I'm constantly jumping into the gulf, pressing the "cap jump button" and dying because it's become muscle memory now.
For me it is easier to have a second person play the whole game than to learn something we've not touched at all for the other 40 hours of gameplay. It feels arbitrary and is really annoying.

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 24, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's even easier to just watch someone play it on YouTube. You can 100% the game with only half an A press.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taear posted:

I don't remember dive or triple jump in Galaxy? That's the only other 3D mario I've played.

Triple Jump was absolutely in Galaxy so that is entirely on you.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Bloop posted:

It's even easier to just watch someone play it on YouTube. You can 100% the game with only half an A press.

I'm sorry that me being annoyed I have to relearn the entire game to do the Koopa Races is enough for you to say "Why play the game at all".
It's fiddly when you've been used to doing it the other way. Especially when they all seem to be done via the same button and never quite seem to work the way you need them to.

quote:

Triple Jump was absolutely in Galaxy so that is entirely on you.
I genuinely don't remember it at all. Maybe it's not as hard to get to work in that. I know the part where you've GOT to do the triple jump in Cascade we couldn't get to work and had to reach it doing different things, which was really annoying.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Taear posted:

I mean learning loads of button combos to do stuff. It's a single button in two player and it works so much better.
You're insane and also incredibly bad at kid's video games.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cobalt Viper posted:

You're insane and also incredibly bad at kid's video games.

I've done everything in the game other than the Koopa Races and the smashy road thing in Dark Side. And skipping.
I'm not bad, I just want to play the way I've done it the rest of the time. What's wrong with that?

It feels like they've gone "okay you've played the entire game with this controller but now we're going to give you a new one just for this bit. Get used to it."

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 24, 2017

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Got around to getting the final 3 moons on the darkest side. I know you need 999 moons or something for a true ending? I hope grinding the coins is worth it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think the 999 moon bonus is anything that can be described as a "true ending." That's basically the first run through Darker Side.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Got around to getting the final 3 moons on the darkest side. I know you need 999 moons or something for a true ending? I hope grinding the coins is worth it

not worth it, buy the skeleton costume instead

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Taear posted:

I've done everything in the game other than the Koopa Races and the smashy road thing in Dark Side. And skipping.
I'm not bad, I just want to play the way I've done it the rest of the time. What's wrong with that?

It feels like they've gone "okay you've played the entire game with this controller but now we're going to give you a new one just for this bit. Get used to it."

You're correct, it's a bad for a game to be inconsistent like that.

That said, you should also learn how to Triple Jump.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

not worth it, buy the skeleton costume instead

I bought that a long time ago. I had already bought everything. Owning amiibos helped.

Anyway i got the 999 moons thing, and hell, I'd say it was worth it.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Taear posted:

I mean, it's either that or you force everyone else on the leaderboard to play with 2 players because that would be most efficient. It's better this way.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

andipossess posted:

I mean, it's either that or you force everyone else on the leaderboard to play with 2 players because that would be most efficient. It's better this way.

I dunno - all the other leaderboard stuff allows two players.
And many people will find it easier to coordinate themselves than have to get the second player to jump them at just the right spot. It doesn't feel like it's going to lead to different results at the end of it, you know?

quote:

That said, you should also learn how to Triple Jump.
I've tried. And tried. And tried. And tried. It just won't do it when you actually need to. My partner did the koopa race in cascade falls on her own and it took about 30 tries partly because it just wouldn't work sometimes for no real reason.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hint: You just press the jump button three times.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The Bloop posted:

if you have to type the a in "mario odyssey full lp" then that's 1 A press, there's no way to "half" press it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t wanna be mean but how could anyone not be able to triple jump in this game, it’s the simplest thing ever, what the gently caress

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I miss the Mario 64 jump kick.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Taear posted:

I dunno - all the other leaderboard stuff allows two players.
And many people will find it easier to coordinate themselves than have to get the second player to jump them at just the right spot. It doesn't feel like it's going to lead to different results at the end of it, you know?

I've tried. And tried. And tried. And tried. It just won't do it when you actually need to. My partner did the koopa race in cascade falls on her own and it took about 30 tries partly because it just wouldn't work sometimes for no real reason.

Okay, break it down. Tell me where it goes wrong. Are you getting the double jump to come out consistently?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Also, note, you can't* use the triple jump while turning. You have to do the entire second jump in a straight line. It's also less lenient than the second jump. The window to press it is way smaller, although there is still some leeway.

* You actually can if you set it up right, but it's not conducive to learning how to actually triple jump.

EDIT:
Actually what do you need the triple jump for? None of the koopa free runs require it. You can beat all of them by rolling, long jumping, and backflip/butt-stomp jumping, into cap dive + optional wall kick. And you probably don't even need most of those to beat even the hard versions.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 24, 2017

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

andipossess posted:

Also, note, you can't* use the triple jump while turning. You have to do the entire second jump in a straight line. It's also less lenient than the second jump. The window to press it is way smaller, although there is still some leeway.

* You actually can if you set it up right, but it's not conducive to learning how to actually triple jump.

EDIT:
Actually what do you need the triple jump for? None of the koopa free runs require it. You can beat all of them by rolling, long jumping, and backflip/butt-stomp jumping, into cap dive + optional wall kick. And you probably don't even need most of those to beat even the hard versions.

Yea christ it was just an example, I'd never used any of the special jumps. There was never a reason and it sucks that I have to learn a new control scheme just to do a tiny bit of the game.

The one in Cascade needed a triple jump to get onto the box at the front and it was really annoying. Maybe a somersault could have done it but that spent more time than the triple jump did. As I mentioned earlier on I have the problem with the switch remotes that makes them a bit "off". We're getting that fixed but maybe it moves Mario slightly off and makes it so the triple jump doesn't work. Who knows. Either way, it never mattered until now because we could just jump off the cap.

And I'm specifically talking about the Master cups. Although it was a pain without diving until we learned that made you faster. Because again - we'd never used it.

Again all I'm saying is that until now it didn't matter. And I wish it still didn't!

Taear fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 24, 2017

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
You could just not do the races

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

You could just not do the races

Alternatively, they are really easy, so just spend a minute or two on each one and beat them.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Were the master races supposed to be harder? I've been doing them all back to back and I haven't really noticed much difference.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The time to beat is faster than the first race but it's still comically easy. The only level that gave any sort of challenge at all was the Cap Kingdom master race.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
All the races are pretty easy, just hard enough to be worth doing but could be won after a handful of tries. I wish there was a way to do them all in a row quickly without the tedious warping around between levels.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

My favorite one so far has been the seaside kingdom race where you can control a starfish and jet up a cliff to beat the koopas by like 20 seconds.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I personally love how needlessly complicated the Luncheon Kingdom race is in order to get in the top 100.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Never try to get top leaderboard positions in any game. People are loving crazy dedicated.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I WAS AT 86!

EIGHTY loving SIX

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Waffleman_ posted:

I WAS AT 86!

EIGHTY loving SIX

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

A whole 14 short, tisk.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Reality Winner posted:

My favorite one so far has been the seaside kingdom race where you can control a starfish and jet up a cliff to beat the koopas by like 20 seconds.

Yeah I never even used a triple jump there lol.

Swim down to a cheepcheep, up to the surface, speed flower over to the cave entrance, water bubble up, hat jump. Skip the whole cave.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm generally poo poo at the triple jump so I never use it but I still beat every master koopa race. I'm sure there were plenty of places the triple-jump would have been faster, but when you're skipping half the track anyway you can easily stop dead to line up a ground-pound jump anytime you need the height.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
If you're having trouble with the triple jump, try doing this little trick I came up with: hit the jump button three times

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seaside kingdom race is even easier to cheese in postgame where a bunch of forks provide a shortcut up to the finish line.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inescapable Duck posted:

Seaside kingdom race is even easier to cheese in postgame where a bunch of forks provide a shortcut up to the finish line.

The same can be done in the Luncheon Kingdom race too. Also the Gold Racer in the Master Cup will almost always eat poo poo on some part of the course, or miss a shortcut.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I handed my sister the switch the other day who has played literally 3 video games in her entire life. I told her "try jumping three times" and she immediately did a triple jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

if you have to type the a in "mario odyssey full lp" then that's 1 A press, there's no way to "half" press it.

Copy and paste.

• Locked thread