Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

divabot posted:

What Peterson's offering there, btw, is literally how Dianetics, i.e. Scientology, is claimed to work. I wonder if Peterson realises this.
Probably. I doubt he started off thinking to himself "I'll bet I can make like $50,000/month by slapping an intellectual gloss on drunken-uncle-at-Thanksgiving rants." However once he realized what a gold mine it was, why not take inspiration from one of the most successful scams of the 21st century?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Rangpur posted:

Probably. I doubt he started off thinking to himself "I'll bet I can make like $50,000/month by slapping an intellectual gloss on drunken-uncle-at-Thanksgiving rants." However once he realized what a gold mine it was, why not take inspiration from one of the most successful scams of the 21st century?

Look, professors pull $50k/month all the time for academic lectures on psychology,

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
See this is why I never feel bad when a right-winger is censured: They always just turn it into a lifetime gig as a Public Intellectual for assholes

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

See this is why I never feel bad when a right-winger is censured: They always just turn it into a lifetime gig as a Public Intellectual for assholes

James Damore is at it again too. (archive link because Guardian do not deserve hits for this garbage)

DAMORE: I just can't tell women are human because I'm autistic :reddit: Have pity on me and give me some wingnut welfare dammit.
EVERY AUTISTIC PERSON I KNOW: shut the gently caress up you loving horrible piece of poo poo

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Gitro posted:

Hm yes the thousands of years of knowledge us enlightened whites have had of hygiene and germ theory.

Like seriously some of the greatest advancements in medicine have just been figuring out how to keep patients from getting their goop on carers and other patients, and you don't have to look back that far to see them. How does someone even break their brain hard enough to think this

If The Ghost Map taught me anything it's that we figured out "Don't poo poo Where You Eat" less than a hundred years ago :ohdear:

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

divabot posted:

James Damore is at it again too. (archive link because Guardian do not deserve hits for this garbage)

DAMORE: I just can't tell women are human because I'm autistic :reddit: Have pity on me and give me some wingnut welfare dammit.
EVERY AUTISTIC PERSON I KNOW: shut the gently caress up you loving horrible piece of poo poo

It is in no way surprising that he loves Jordan Peterson.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

If The Ghost Map taught me anything it's that we figured out "Don't poo poo Where You Eat" less than a hundred years ago :ohdear:

It’s literally in Leviticus 15. So yeah, Middle Easterners did it first.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

DarklyDreaming posted:

We figured it out multiple times over history and then forgot it again and had to relearn it all over again. Mostly because we couldn't really nail down why it was so bad until germ theory and all that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

there wolf posted:

We figured it out multiple times over history and then forgot it again and had to relearn it all over again. Mostly because we couldn't really nail down why it was so bad until germ theory and all that.

Although it is kind of amazing that we kept having to relearn that, as opposed to keeping it going because "Maybe I don't want to eat a whole meal in a room that smells like my own rear end? Does that make me weird? Am I just being fussy?"

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

Although it is kind of amazing that we kept having to relearn that, as opposed to keeping it going because "Maybe I don't want to eat a whole meal in a room that smells like my own rear end? Does that make me weird? Am I just being fussy?"

It's do to a combination of a lot of interesting factors, from the changing value of human excrement to how to effectively deal with the combined sewage of a large city before modern plumbing. But a lot of people just lived in really gross environments because it was normalized. Supposedly Cortes arrived in Tenochtitlan and marveled to a see a city as large as any in Europe that didn't have poo poo running through the streets.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

divabot posted:

Yeah we were talking about this in yospos too and as the article says he also apparently has a feminist long-term girlfriend who puts up with his poo poo somehow while still finding his ideas to be disgusting. Sounds like a completely normal and healthy and definitely not codependent relationship to me yes sir!

quote:

We are in Mountain View, home to Google’s headquarters. Damore’s girlfriend has agreed to meet only after being assured that, like her, I disagree with her boyfriend’s views. She does not want to be identified or directly quoted: she is keen to remain in the shadows.

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Nov 18, 2017

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

Who wants to bet that, like every other person who's tried hiding behind autism as an excuse for bigotry, he's loudly pro-eugenics?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah we were talking about this in yospos too and as the article says he also apparently has a feminist long-term girlfriend who puts up with his poo poo somehow while still finding his ideas to be disgusting. Sounds like a completely normal and healthy and definitely not codependent relationship to me yes sir!

when the memo came out, i was actually surprised when googling "james damore" "incel" didn't turn up anything

Who wants to bet that, like every other person who's tried hiding behind autism as an excuse for bigotry, he's loudly pro-eugenics?

he cribbed the post from SSC, wtf do you think

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The girlfriend was definitely him in a wig.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

there wolf posted:

It's do to a combination of a lot of interesting factors, from the changing value of human excrement to how to effectively deal with the combined sewage of a large city before modern plumbing. But a lot of people just lived in really gross environments because it was normalized. Supposedly Cortes arrived in Tenochtitlan and marveled to a see a city as large as any in Europe that didn't have poo poo running through the streets.

And then the aztecs covered them in scented oils to "honor them".

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Rev is a classic case of "the judge is still going to sentence you for assault, but completely understands".

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/933097389702889472

like always, he's doing a bang-up job of ignoring who is actually in power. i guess because if he did he'd have to acknowledge how dumb it was to claim that trump was good for gay people.

the real existential risk is someone on twitter, though.

e: also, st. rev. and friends love weev, an out-and-out loving nazi (and clarkhat, and many other assorted racists).

Fututor Magnus has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Nov 22, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Some kind of singularity-based church? Is this a new thing?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fututor Magnus posted:

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/933097389702889472

like always, he's doing a bang-up job of ignoring who is actually in power. i guess because if he did he'd have to acknowledge how dumb it was to claim that trump was good for gay people.

the real existential risk is someone on twitter, though.

e: also, st. rev. and friends love weev, an out-and-out loving nazi (and clarkhat, and many other assorted racists).

Someone post one of nydwracist's five billion posts about how we need to nuke major cities for being degenerate brahmins who didn't vote for Donald Trump

This is, however, hilariously, the same rationale people use to defend stalinists

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

And here I thought that this was a stupid plotpoint in the latest Deus Ex game.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Someone post one of nydwracist's five billion posts about how we need to nuke major cities for being degenerate brahmins who didn't vote for Donald Trump

This is, however, hilariously, the same rationale people use to defend stalinists

also hilarious is that clarkhat would count as a nazi by rev's own definition, he is:

1) racist
2) white supremacist
3) normalizes murder (just do a search for clarkhat and "woodchipper" for a taste)

one of my favourite tweets of his:
https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/779114810533376001
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/779114228154306560

clark fantasizing about commiting vehicular manslaughter against protestors (wonder what he'd say now after charlottesville) is not normalizing murder, because...

edit: apparently i missed this:
https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/905123395360219137

also, this guy, perhaps most notable for getting really pissy about people not wanting moldbug at lambdaconf, is really pissy about someone having had enough of clark (read the thread):

https://twitter.com/bitemyapp/status/905160486316118018

man, what a terrible circle of mutuals

Fututor Magnus has a new favorite as of 12:19 on Nov 23, 2017

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
What Is Going On at Fahrenheit 1488?

* they've given up pretending to be neutral. also, I'm totally a "normie", as us normies say
* hello fellow completely neutral Tech Savvy Gray Tribers, actually trad is good

divabot has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Nov 23, 2017

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/905165385623883777

honestly, i'm surprised someone from clark's surrounding circle stopped loving kidding themselves about what clark is. it was a really bizarre dynamic of the worst of clark being utterly ignored because ingroup, or something.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Fututor Magnus posted:

also hilarious is that clarkhat would count as a nazi by rev's own definition, he is:

1) racist
2) white supremacist
3) normalizes murder (just do a search for clarkhat and "woodchipper" for a taste)

one of my favourite tweets of his:
https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/779114810533376001
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/779114228154306560

clark fantasizing about commiting vehicular manslaughter against protestors (wonder what he'd say now after charlottesville) is not normalizing murder, because...

edit: apparently i missed this:
https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/905123395360219137

also, this guy, perhaps most notable for getting really pissy about people not wanting moldbug at lambdaconf, is really pissy about someone having had enough of clark (read the thread):

https://twitter.com/bitemyapp/status/905160486316118018

man, what a terrible circle of mutuals

Bringing back these classic ClarkHat moments

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Do we live in an adequate world?
A new exploration of systemic failure and uncommon success.

When should you think that you may be able to do something unusually well?

Whether you’re trying to outperform in science, or in business, or just in finding good deals on eBay, it’s important that you have a sober understanding of your relative competencies.

The story only ends there, however, if you’re fortunate enough to live in an adequate civilization.

Eliezer Yudkowsky’s Inadequate Equilibria is a sharp and lively guidebook for anyone questioning when and how they can know better, and do better, than the status quo. Freely mixing debates on the foundations of rational decision-making with tips for everyday life, Yudkowsky explores the central question of when we can (and can’t) expect to spot systemic inefficiencies, and exploit them.

Read online now

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

"Hell yea you fuckin' Kulaks we're coming to liberate your craft beer and trendy nightclubs for the proletariat"
-Ancap
:ussr:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Edit: I recant my previous statement, I completely overlooked that he said he'd feel bad about Megan McArdle dying in the nuclear blast.

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 14:55 on Nov 23, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

"I initially tried ordering the cheapest LED lights from Hong Kong that I could find on eBay. I didn’t feel like I could rely on the US lighting market to equalize prices with Hong Kong, and so I wasn’t confident that the premium price for US LED bulbs represented a quality difference. But when the cheap lights finally arrived from Hong Kong, they were dim, inefficient, and of visibly low color quality. So I decided to buy the more expensive US light bulbs for my next design iteration."

In which our hero discovers that you get what you pay for.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

divabot posted:

Do we live in an adequate world?
A new exploration of systemic failure and uncommon success.

When should you think that you may be able to do something unusually well?

Whether you’re trying to outperform in science, or in business, or just in finding good deals on eBay, it’s important that you have a sober understanding of your relative competencies.

The story only ends there, however, if you’re fortunate enough to live in an adequate civilization.

Eliezer Yudkowsky’s Inadequate Equilibria is a sharp and lively guidebook for anyone questioning when and how they can know better, and do better, than the status quo. Freely mixing debates on the foundations of rational decision-making with tips for everyday life, Yudkowsky explores the central question of when we can (and can’t) expect to spot systemic inefficiencies, and exploit them.

Read online now

I just remembered Metamed and started laughing, so thanks for that.

Curvature of Earth posted:

Bringing back these classic ClarkHat moments

One thing that's funny to me is that they can't use San Francisco or Berkeley as metonyms for urban liberals anymore because so many of their tech heroes are set up there.

Sit on my Jace has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Nov 23, 2017

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
So my blockchain blog is starting to cross back to talking about the transhumanists. This is 1200 words I hope you will enjoy.
ICO of the day: CryoGen — bringing crypto and cryonics back together once more

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

divabot posted:

So my blockchain blog is starting to cross back to talking about the transhumanists. This is 1200 words I hope you will enjoy.

When I read Lovecraft this more or less what I imagine elder god worshiping cultist write like. You would need to do a word replace on few nouns but other than that this is what imagine the Necronomicon reads like.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fututor Magnus posted:

https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/905165385623883777

honestly, i'm surprised someone from clark's surrounding circle stopped loving kidding themselves about what clark is. it was a really bizarre dynamic of the worst of clark being utterly ignored because ingroup, or something.

I feel like if Rev lapsed on the massive amount of cognitive dissonance he's maintaining to convince himself he's an anti-nazi anti-authoritarian libertarian with no patience for evil human beings who wish death and pain on others while also having all the friends he does, it would instantly kill him.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

divabot posted:

I kind of hope that it is possible to restore the frozen memory state, but the the freezing process takes just long enough that the only thought the restored person can have is "holy poo poo that's really cold"

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

In an ironic twist, the only living people who will suffer inconceivable afterlife torture at the hands of a hyperadvanced technology are a handful of cryo acolytes whose freeze-dried brains will be examined in some far future paleoresearch lab. "Oh hey we got a flicker of thought out of this one. No speech center, but it sure looked unhappy."

I don't think they really explore all the possible "it hurrrts to be dead", "kill meeeee" etc. scenarios when making their CyberPascal's Wager.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Has there been any recorded instant of one of these nutters stopping and realising how goddamn psycho they sound?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Samovar posted:

Has there been any recorded instant of one of these nutters stopping and realising how goddamn psycho they sound?

They tend to quietly disappear from the subculture and do actually useful things. This is a repeated pattern in the LessWrong subculture and transhumanism in general.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

They tend to quietly disappear from the subculture and do actually useful things. This is a repeated pattern in the LessWrong subculture and transhumanism in general.

This is the most optimistic thing to come out of this entire thread.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
more in white men feeling persecuted by neo-marxist progs; tim ferris

https://twitter.com/pt/status/933907345507098626
https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/934035160483418112
https://twitter.com/anildash/status/933691301769502720
https://twitter.com/Jokeocrazy/status/933715668163334144
famous NRx duck pax dickinson complaining about being "blacklisted" from tech because of the evil ideology of thinking racism is bad

the persecution and silencing will never end, it seems, even in SV. white guy complaining about SV (for political correctness, that there are non-white people, women etc.) is not new, though after the google memo bullshit and that apple firing it seems to be ramping up again.

another funny revtweet:

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/933116901940715521

Fututor Magnus has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Nov 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So did the whiny guy ever list the specific opinions that the McCarthyist Silicon Valley Bros(tm) were oppressing that he, as liberal as they come, held?