Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Gigi Galli posted:

Stroll went from a comedy act to a watchable driver I think. He's got plenty of time (and dads money) to actually become good. I kinda hope he does.

He's already good. Try watching the races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

:ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

learnincurve posted:

VR is going to be like the 3DS where after a while people realise that as awesome as it is it actually gives you massive headaches, and they end up having to bring out a second device or expensive app that allows you to watch it normally and can move the camera on a touch screen.

Agreed. VR, much like AR, has plenty of industrial and scientific use cases. It could be good for consumers at some point but it has to get cheaper and less bulky.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

Bruh

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Lol

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Lmao at the same old institutionalised hate for good young drivers. I remember everybody saying how Hamilton was too young for binning it in China and how Vettel was a binman for hitting Webber at Fuji.

Stroll has the potential to be a future WDC and he laid down a pretty loving clear marker this season.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lance Stroll getting a podium in a bizarre race in Baku is definitely the same as Lewis Hamilton nearly winning the title in his first season.

(it was also a joke at 1500, guy who repeatedly posts about how he's not watching a race while it happens, saying "just watch the races")

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

He was poo poo the first few races, let's get real. I guess I should've said "great", not good.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Stroll was at least better as a rookie than Magnussen, who also fluked a podium and is unbearable as a person.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Speaking of young drivers, there are currently 3 seats still available. We think Williams are going Kubica but my Wild Theory is that they are waiting to see if Sauber get made the Ferrari/alpha jr team as if that falls through there may be more money to be had for one of their young drivers before they commit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gigi Galli posted:

He was poo poo the first few races, let's get real. I guess I should've said "great", not good.

There's a limit to how much you can learn versus how much is talent in racing imo. Like right now my high projection for Stroll is that he becomes an Andrea de Cesaris-like driver who's widely derided but ends up getting a 15 year career as a relatively safe well-funded option for a midfield team.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’d say “like Hulkenburg” but Stroll actually has a podium so.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hulkenberg is this generation's Giancarlo Fisichella.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How high is that projection, FBJ? As of right now he looks like Pedro Diniz but loud.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Stroll is more of a twat than Lewis which should be an achievement in its own.

2017 WTC Lance “Timmy’s is good coffee” Stroll

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He's Heidfeld but less talented.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

He's Heidfeld but less talented.

Like Fisi he's probably going to finally get a quality ride too late in his career and get exposed.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He has 15 podiums and 3 wins. Hulkenburg can only dream of being as successful as Fisi.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bennetton era Fisi ruled.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

VR is going to be like the 3DS where after a while people realise that as awesome as it is it actually gives you massive headaches, and they end up having to bring out a second device or expensive app that allows you to watch it normally and can move the camera on a touch screen.

That's exactly what my experience of the premier league experience they trialled, novel but gently caress you felt sick after 5 minutes

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Idk if this is still the case but didn’t a bunch of the VR headsets require like a 9 by 9 foot open area to play in? Fuckin lmao.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Idk if this is still the case but didn’t a bunch of the VR headsets require like a 9 by 9 foot open area to play in? Fuckin lmao.

Lmbo is that true???

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Gigi Galli posted:

Stroll went from a comedy act to a watchable driver I think. He's got plenty of time (and dads money) to actually become good. I kinda hope he does.

Stroll is actually hot loving garbage and will never amount to anything. Please ignore my previous the PMs were coming from inside the thread.

Stroll isn't even haphazardly fast like Pastor was where the speed was there but with zero control so it was always a matter of time of who he was gonna torpedo into next.

Stroll is just slow poo poo rear end from a poop.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Lance Stroll getting a podium in a bizarre race in Baku is definitely the same as Lewis Hamilton nearly winning the title in his first season.

(it was also a joke at 1500, guy who repeatedly posts about how he's not watching a race while it happens, saying "just watch the races")

I prefer to think of it as Lewis Hamilton in the clearly dominant car binning the title against all odds, but in the words of Louis CK "different strokes."

Stroll podiumed in a shitbox. Hamilton walked into a sharp end team.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

Stroll is actually hot loving garbage and will never amount to anything. Please ignore my previous the PMs were coming from inside the thread.

Stroll isn't even haphazardly fast like Pastor was where the speed was there but with zero control so it was always a matter of time of who he was gonna torpedo into next.

This is not a good post and it isn't even vaguely factually accurate. Stroll is objectively not a poo poo rear end from a poop. He is a good driver from a good Ferrari collector.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I agree that Pastor Maldonado had far more promise than Stroll did. You can teach caution, you can't teach speed.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

wicka posted:

i think that was only the HTC Vive (the one Valve made) that did room-scale like that

1500quidporsche posted:

Lmbo is that true???

yeah, you have to set up a bunch of extra sensor units and have a minimum amount of clear floor space; the idea was that it allowed you to walk & move around in a set play area for better immersion 'n poo poo instead of just sitting in a chair and being stationary. realistically it just meant the unit cost a few hundred dollars more than the Oculus and that you needed a dedicated "VR Room" to account for all the wires and sensor pylons and poo poo instead of being able to hook it up to your PC as-is

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Theophany posted:

I prefer to think of it as Lewis Hamilton in the clearly dominant car binning the title against all odds, but in the words of Louis CK "different strokes."

He scored as many points as Fernando Alonso, the consensus best driver of his era, in the same car. Stroll has been outscored by a decrepit Felipe Massa. Are you OK

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

Actually he's won in every category he's entered and is in one of the shittiest cars on the grid run by an invalid, often outperforming his much more experienced team mate in his first year in F1. He's quite good.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I agree that Pastor Maldonado had far more promise than Stroll did. You can teach caution, you can't teach speed.

The speed at which you hit a barrier or another driver? Because I agree Maldonado was exceptional at both.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Felipe Massa is a decrepit old fraud with a brain injury and if you get outscored by him in the same car you should, IMO, immediately lose your FIA Superlicense by rule.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Theophany posted:

Stroll got 3rd in a race where any other driver in that car would have won. He's been consistently slower than old man Massa and isn't even ahead of him with a freebie podium. He's trash until proven otherwise

Also Vettel is still a binman

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He scored as many points as Fernando Alonso, the consensus best driver of his era, in the same car. Stroll has been outscored by a decrepit Felipe Massa. Are you OK

Hamilton came into a team blatantly in his favour and prejudiced against his team mate. It is the exact opposite situation for Lance Stroll.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

Actually he's won in every category he's entered and is in one of the shittiest cars on the grid run by an invalid, often outperforming his much more experienced team mate in his first year in F1. He's quite good.

The Williams is probably a perfectly fine car with a great engine, the main problem Williams has is that their drivers are a brain injured old man and Lance Stroll.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Williams would almost certainly have won a race since 2014 if they still had Pastor Maldonado. I am not trolling. He won on merit in the 2012 car which was a far shittier car relative to the grid than any of the Williams-Merc cars.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Williams is probably mediocre but yeah, the choice of drivers isn't helping.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Williams is probably a perfectly fine car with a great engine, the main problem Williams has is that their drivers are a brain injured old man and Lance Stroll.

This car was designed by Pat Symonds knowing he was retiring and didn't have to deal with the car next year, a man who in his heyday was "mediocre". The car is poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

The Williams is probably mediocre but yeah, the choice of drivers isn't helping.

I wouldn't be surprised if hypothetically you swapped Red Bull and Williams driver pairs, they both score the exact same amount of points and wins, just with different cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Williams would almost certainly have won a race since 2014 if they still had Pastor Maldonado. I am not trolling. He won on merit in the 2012 car which was a far shittier car relative to the grid than any of the Williams-Merc cars.

I feel in 2014 they could have taken Monza or Austria if the cards fell the right way.

• Locked thread