Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

runoverbobby posted:

"If not for injuries Shaun Marsh could quite easily have played 70 tests averaging 45 by now"

He's just a top bloke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

If he hadn't spent the last 10 years working at the toilet store.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

runoverbobby posted:

"If not for injuries Shaun Marsh could quite easily have played 70 tests averaging 45 by now"

If not for my heart condition I could be as well. We are basically on par for 70-test careers.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Decent little recovery by Smith and Marsh but lots of work to do tomorrow.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

a real chump posted:

it was something really trivial like he read a book so clarke hated him or something

I think you might be confusing the Watson-Clarke feud with the Chris Rogers - David Warner feud. During the 2015 Ashes, The Australian published an article alleging that they "can't stand each other", and that Warner said of Rogers:

David Warner posted:

He's a bit of a weirdo. He reads a lot of books. I wouldn't read a book."

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Shaun Marsh has a really good imaginary career guys

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Couldn't read a book more likely.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

markgreyam posted:

If not for my heart condition I could be as well. We are basically on par for 70-test careers.

Just imagine the test career I could have had if I had actually been good at cricket.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Smorgasbord posted:

Shaun Marsh has a really good imaginary career guys

Also he is only on 44 or so. Yeah a good start but you would think he was on 244 by the way the commentators were talking

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Varkk posted:

Just imagine the test career I could have had if I had actually been good at cricket.

phwoar

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The Money, ABC's Economics podcast did an ep on the economics of The Ashes http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/themoney/cricket-currency:-exploring-the-economics-of-the-ashes/9183280

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Can Smith gently caress off, I've had enough of him already

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Lionel Richie posted:

Can Smith gently caress off, I've had enough of him already

Was always going to have a big innings off the back of the same sex marriage result.

Steve Smith is a lesbian

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

runoverbobby posted:

Wow, being poo poo counts as an injury now!

The worst thing about this is that if Smarsh gets us out of jail with a decent hundred, he'll be undroppable for another year and fail to score over 20

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How old is he?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Cricket Australia should select a garbage bin with nice garry written on it to wicket keep and when we fail all the players can climb inside it

RIP haddin.gif

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Alison Mitchell is carrying the entire broadcast, with adequate support from Ponting and Vaughn. Swann and Gilchrist's first stint in the box was beyond atrocious. I miss Atherton, I really do

Lionel Richie posted:

Didn't hear her sat next to Boycs then

In more "never ever go on social media" news, most people seem to think that Alison Mitchell is bad because Boycott keeps "having to correct her basic errors"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If anyone hasn't seen the Marsh drop yet, it's as funny as you think it is: https://vid.me/Vsup7

Also, I found this early contender for best punditry of the series:

quote:

DAN NORCROSS:
So Glenn, what's turned Steve Smith from a fidgety batsman who constantly looks like getting out, into a fidgety batsman who never looks like getting out?
GLENN MCGRATH:
Awww, mate, he just loves cricket. That's what it is.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In more "never ever go on social media" news, most people seem to think that Alison Mitchell is bad because Boycott keeps "having to correct her basic errors"

Who’s bright idea was it to put Boycott near a woman?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's actually improved from how bad he was at first. His dismissal of things a woman commentator says now seems to rely on him actually disagreeing with them. I think ERB might have bullied him.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Boycott does it with anyone he doesn't deem worthy tbf, male or female. I think it was Mark Pougatch who they decided to put on TMS one year and Boycott just walked all over him.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I'm really missing Botham, Holding, Gower and Athers on the commentary but Gilchrist is a step in the right direction.

Not enjoying Swannys commentary as much as I thought I would

Edit: gently caress how could I forget about Bumble :(

CrRoMa fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 24, 2017

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

webmeister posted:

If anyone hasn't seen the Marsh drop yet, it's as funny as you think it is: https://vid.me/Vsup7

Kerry O'Keefe continues to be one of the only pundits with a clue. He talked about Steve Smith's batting yesterday. He pointed out that Steve Smith never really went backwards as a batsman. Mentioned that he made 77 on debut with the test team and two half centuries in his next 3 games. Said that Smith even at just 22 always had a great eye and even if he wasn't technically sound was able to stand up when the team needed him. He also pointed out that getting dropped and sent back to the NSW team where he could continue to refine his technique as unorthodox as it is helped him develop as a player.

Funny thing is if you look through Steve Smith's wiki page it highlights just how bad the batting in Australia has been for so long. Nearly every major test series begins with "in the first/second innings with australia in trouble at 4/fuckall Smith built a partnership with some wasteman/good player scoring 150 runs to salvage the innings and win/gain an early lead".

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

CrRoMa posted:

I'm really missing Botham, Holding, Gower and Athers on the commentary but Gilchrist is a step in the right direction.

Not enjoying Swannys commentary as much as I thought I would

Edit: gently caress how could I forget about Bumble :(

Gilchrist is insanely bad what’s wrong with you?

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

RideTheSpiral posted:

I'm British, I like self deprecating humor

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RideTheSpiral posted:

Two bad teams need two bad commentators

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Also aside from commentator issues, and continuously pushing the football, and all the rest, the worst thing by far about BT's coverage is that they don't have the over number in the on screen graphic

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lionel Richie posted:

Boycott does it with anyone he doesn't deem worthy tbf, male or female. I think it was Mark Pougatch who they decided to put on TMS one year and Boycott just walked all over him.

The people who've come through the more relaxed and informal T20 commentary seem more comfortable in bypassing the respectful deferral to experience.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made a thing.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Mark Pougatch is an excellent presenter, he's not a commentator, no wonder Boycs would stomp him

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

jazzyhattrick posted:

I made a thing.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Swann's realised very quickly that TV cricket commentary is a long conversation vaguely concerned with what's on screen, and that his role on the radio is to analyse what's going on so people at home listening can get a better idea of what's happening and he's slowly getting comfortable doing the former. Ponting and Vaughn own, jury's out on Fleming though

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jazzyhattrick posted:

I made a thing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

jury's out on Fleming though

The stats say that Fleming is the best commentator ever

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Also aside from commentator issues, and continuously pushing the football, and all the rest, the worst thing by far about BT's coverage is that they don't have the over number in the on screen graphic

The loving 20 minute diversion about how "gilly" is a Liverpool fan was incredibly obnoxious, and he has moments where he's still feeling his way about how to commentate, but apart from that i quite like Gilchrist.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Funny thing is if you look through Steve Smith's wiki page it highlights just how bad the batting in Australia has been for so long. Nearly every major test series begins with "in the first/second innings with australia in trouble at 4/fuckall Smith built a partnership with some wasteman/good player scoring 150 runs to salvage the innings and win/gain an early lead".

Out of all the Australian test cricketers to average 50 or over smith has to be the one in the worst sides

The guy is unusually patient for an Australian cricketer. He does have a brain snap in him normally against spin and he is a relatively poor starter but once he gets set he is happy to grind away for hours if he needs to and thats not a quality we see a lot in Australian cricket even when we are good.

On commentator chat i was listening to Ponting discuss khawajas technical flaws against spin and he is one of the better Australian commentators at that sort of thing. I wish he was on nine tbh. Clarke is also great but he has the accent

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

jazzyhattrick posted:

I made a thing.

David Warner's not English.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I've been able to stream the Ashes a bit, but what service should I use if I want to watch BBL or some of the other Test matches in the US? I can sub to Willow through my TV provider but that looks to be it.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

webmeister posted:

Lol at Warney saying Marsh was unfortunate because the ball didn't bobble back up.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

TheHoosier posted:

I've been able to stream the Ashes a bit, but what service should I use if I want to watch BBL or some of the other Test matches in the US? I can sub to Willow through my TV provider but that looks to be it.

Check ESPN 3. They usually have a bunch of random stuff. Illegal streams otherwise. Not sure what willow has mostly IPL and tests for India i think. They have the Ashes rights in the US but i have no idea what feed they carry. As an American that watches a fair amount of cricket illegal streams and ESPN 3 are they vaguely economical ways to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

That's Marsh booked in for the series

EDIT : lmao

biglads fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 25, 2017