Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a Marvel show, it's aimed at 35 year old men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Endless Mike posted:

I can't figure out who Runaways is for. I'm enjoying it, but I don't think 35 year old men is their target audience. It doesn't quite come off as a young adult show, but I'm not sure a show about teens is intended for adults. (Though I suppose the success of Stranger Things suggests otherwise.)

I am inclined to agree. There are times when it felt like it was trying to be a legit teen show, and other times when it felt like it was a more typical comic show. I am definitely interested, but I definitely felt the weirdness in that regard.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I think 25-50 year old comic fan is a pretty big audience at this point.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Just finished The Punisher and oh man, I'm so glad Curtis made it out alive. He had so many death flags on him that every scene he appeared made me apprehensive it would be the one he'd bite it. Also holy gently caress at the beatdowns in the last two episodes, specially dragging Russo's face in the mirror.

Overall it was pretty great, definitely not what I expected from a Punisher show.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

Just finished The Punisher and oh man, I'm so glad Curtis made it out alive. He had so many death flags on him that every scene he appeared made me apprehensive it would be the one he'd bite it. Also holy gently caress at the beatdowns in the last two episodes, specially dragging Russo's face in the mirror.

Overall it was pretty great, definitely not what I expected from a Punisher show.

Ending Villain spoilers: It wasn't until that face dragging that I realized we just saw the origin of Jigsaw.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Also, it was a little weird that during the entire Lewis incident, there's absolute no scenes with his dad. Castle even mentions that he should stop because it'd make his father life a living hell but they never show if he suffered any fallout. Did Lewis kill him and I missed it?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Medullah posted:

I think 25-50 year old comic fan is a pretty big audience at this point.

Like I said, I'm too old for the show, but htinking it right now, I don't think I would have been into Runaways as a teenager.

I think it would have benefited as being a 30 min drama, get rid of the melodramatics and all. There's a reason why the comic got into the meat of the plotline relatively quickly.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I'm not seeing a problem so far but I watch Riverdale and some of my favorite comics are about teenagers so I guess it's kinda my thing.

35 year old (case of arrested development) comic book fan checking in.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shageletic posted:

There's a reason why the comic got into the meat of the plotline relatively quickly.

Yeah, BKV rushed it because he thought it was being cancelled. :) I'm pretty sure if he knew it would last 50 issues he would have stretched it out a lot more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Runaways barely has a plot line. The whole thing up until the Pride’s defeated would be like a 2 hour movie if they didn’t add content.

And nobody wants to see the stuff after that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I dunno what the hell people were expecting if they read the comic and watch the tv show and got upset that it's a teen drama. That's...exactly what the comic was. Really the biggest change is the focus on the parents, which isn't unwelcome at all, considering most of them are actually pretty compelling characters.

If you want the show to be entirely plot-focused I direct you to Whedon's run of Runaways, which promptly sent the crew back to the past and gave them a child bride to hang out with. Nobody wants Whedon's Runaways.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Marvel released the 17 min preview for the new season of AOS (I think this is what was shown at NYCC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDBwsMIXlMk
God after all the good superhero TV shows this year, that opening montage tops all of them

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Are there any good articles that would help my girlfriend get caught up with what she needs to know from Daredevil season 2 to watch Punisher?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

omg chael crash posted:

Are there any good articles that would help my girlfriend get caught up with what she needs to know from Daredevil season 2 to watch Punisher?

Punisher thought his family was killed in a mob fight crossfire, killed a bunch of mobsters, then found out it was actually a PMC run by his old military commander that killed his family in an attempt to kill him because he saw some illegal poo poo when he was in the military, so he killed that guy and then faked his own death. 90% of this is easily inferred in the first couple of episodes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You can watch punisher without having seen dds2 at all

But basically Frank kills a bunch of gangs, gets arrested, kingpin breaks him out, finds his old co was involved in the deal that got his family killed, kills his co the end

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently Flash has cast Bill Goldberg for 2 episodes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also his CO is Clancy Brown, which is only important because he shows up in a flashback in one episode and you won't know who that character is otherwise, but it doesn't actually affect much.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

At least have her watch the rooftop with Daredevil episode, the cemetery speech, and Frank vs. everyone in jail scenes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm not gonna sit through all this to confirm it's legit every scene but this playlist might help

All Punisher Scenes: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBx1OAyPpvafAbYASZsPlUaXLzEXnvE8D

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I honestly don't remember him faking his death

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

omg chael crash posted:

He didn't fake it intentionally, the boat he was on exploded

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

The police think Frank died on the boat in episode 10ish.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
For seemingly no reason.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Arist posted:

He didn't fake it intentionally, the boat he was on exploded

I completely forgot there was a boat explosion.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So did I until they mentioned it in Punisher

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

omg chael crash posted:

She should just watch DDs2 imo, that was some good stuff. If she's really bored with The Hand stuff you guys can skip a few episodes in the middle

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
The Punisher pratically remakes Castle origins and what it doesn't is explained by the characters. There's no need to make someone suffer through DDS2.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The police think Frank died on the boat in episode 10ish.

Oh yeah

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The prison fight in DD is quite good.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As is the graveyard scene at the end of episode four as Frank spills his heart out to Daredevil.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Crisis on Earth-X is pretty fun. Definitely the best Arrowverse crossover thus far.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Samuringa posted:

The Punisher pratically remakes Castle origins and what it doesn't is explained by the characters. There's no need to make someone suffer through DDS2.
Come on DDS2 wasn't that awful

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I prefer it to season 1 because I actually like comic books.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought the Earth X crossover started out really fun and had a lot of potential in the first hour but man that second episode was super boring, even with the pretty impressive action. And what is it with Emily Bett Rickard's newfound acting decision to just whisper every single plaintive line so bloody quietly through entire scenes so I can barely hear what she's saying

I hope the next two hours of this will recover a bit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's so weird that the Arrowverse is constantly referencing Marvel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

I thought the Earth X crossover started out really fun and had a lot of potential in the first hour but man that second episode was super boring, even with the pretty impressive action. And what is it with Emily Bett Rickard's newfound acting decision to just whisper every single plaintive line so bloody quietly through entire scenes so I can barely hear what she's saying

I hope the next two hours of this will recover a bit.

Seriously I have to turn on closed captioning practically every time she has a line, it sucks. I guess it's an improvement from cry-talking every line like Arrow S4?

twistedmentat posted:

Just following suit...

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 28, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

Que?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

A character is explicitly refered to as being "like the incredible hulk!" and another is offered to "become spider-man" and says "spidy-sense".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

A character is explicitly refered to as being "like the incredible hulk!" and another is offered to "become spider-man" and says "spidy-sense".

Is that from recent episode? because I'm a bit behind. I thought Arrow's thing was ripping off Batman villains.
Also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My #1 takeaway from that crossover is why are the Legends worried about RSVPing late when they have a time machine?