Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Archenteron posted:

Jesus god in heaven it's the magic nerd equivalent of Chef John

who because searching this is getting me the movie chef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I can't believe this deck exists. Watch the video (and skip to about 13min in)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

GoutPatrol posted:

who because searching this is getting me the movie chef

https://youtu.be/7qmt9rup6_I

He is :discourse: incarnate

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Went 4-0 at Standard Showdown today with UG Pummeler, only dropping one game all evening. Seems a good pick when 50% of the decks in the room are energy. Of course I didn't really play any of them, instead I played Grixis Energy Midrange, Ramunap Red, Ramunap Red splash green for pump, and UB Control.

Eela6 posted:

I can't believe this deck exists. Watch the video (and skip to about 13min in)

Zubera was a thing (a janky tier 3 thing) all the way back in Extended, with Second Sunrise and Phyrexian Altar. I'm not surprised it's playable with straight up returning all from the graveyard. There's also probably better ways to do it than SO's build. Personally I would play Greater Gargadon.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

TheDemon posted:

Went 4-0 at Standard Showdown today with UG Pummeler, only dropping one game all evening. Seems a good pick when 50% of the decks in the room are energy. Of course I didn't really play any of them, instead I played Grixis Energy Midrange, Ramunap Red, Ramunap Red splash green for pump, and UB Control.

Zubera was a thing (a janky tier 3 thing) all the way back in Extended, with Second Sunrise and Phyrexian Altar. I'm not surprised it's playable with straight up returning all from the graveyard. There's also probably better ways to do it than SO's build. Personally I would play Greater Gargadon.

Gargodon is almost certainly better than Bloodthrone Vampire, but I dunno if the cleaner manabase would make up for the loss of Viscera Seer's scrying.

I also think the grisly salvages could be replaced, though I don't exactly know what to replace them with. I could see a 4c version working if you get creative with things.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

GeneX posted:

Gargodon is almost certainly better than Bloodthrone Vampire, but I dunno if the cleaner manabase would make up for the loss of Viscera Seer's scrying.

I also think the grisly salvages could be replaced, though I don't exactly know what to replace them with.

I was thinking Forbidden Alchemy or Faithless Looting. I do think Viscera Seer is necessary though, so the problem becomes that you're pretty locked into 5 colors no matter what - the WW methods to get your spirits back are very necessary, as is the B sacrifice outlet, and the G, U, and R zuberas.

e: The black replacements would be Living End and Immortal Servitude. Definitely worse though.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 24, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I like SO so I also like this guy

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You know, someone could probably do all right just by taking every SO video that comes out and redubbing them with a normal voice. Couldn't be that much work either.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Chef John is wonderful, puns and all.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Archenteron posted:

Jesus god in heaven it's the magic nerd equivalent of Chef John

Don't you talk poo poo about Food Wishes. Chef John is loving awesome, hairy forearms and all.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I'm weird in that I could happily watch SO all day but that professor guy is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

And don't even get me started on listening to MaRo speak, holy poo poo.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
whether you love or hate maro's voice, theres no way you cant say it isnt the most appropriate voice he could have

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

AceClown posted:

I'm weird in that I could happily watch SO all day but that professor guy is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I can't goddamn stand TCC, but MaRo works for me. I'm not sure why. Could be that MaRo always feels enthusiastic and genuine in a way that TCC really doesn't.

edit: That Zubera deck is glorious. Truly Magic the way Richard Garfield intended.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 24, 2017

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

TheDemon posted:

Ramunap Red splash green for pump

lol what

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I don't know either, maybe I didn't see the hidden double strike or something, but the guy was 2-0 before I played him. Apparently it was something about emptying the hand faster so that bloodrage brawler and hazoret were easier to use, but I didn't see the point.

e: Also possible I didn't see the green creatures that made it into normal RG Aggro but idk khendra, crasher, kari zev and hazoret with ramunap ruins means ramunap red to me.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 24, 2017

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I believe you, it's just that I don't see why you would even splash green instead of teching cards such as invigorated rampage, Kari Zev's expertise or key to the city and stay mono red if you want to surprise your opponent with "pump"/extra damage. I play RDR, maybe I just need to think outside the box more?!

Or did he use fling because that sounds kinda spicy lol

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Awwww yeah got that sweet promo Growing Rites in a black Friday pack, life is good as hell

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

I believe you, it's just that I don't see why you would even splash green instead of teching cards such as invigorated rampage, Kari Zev's expertise or key to the city and stay mono red if you want to surprise your opponent with "pump"/extra damage. I play RDR, maybe I just need to think outside the box more?!

Or did he use fling because that sounds kinda spicy lol

I actually debated splashing green solely for Blossoming Defense in Ramunap Red. Ultimately it didn't do enough to justify but it was good to blank removal and make swings bigger.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Blossoming Defence was definitely involved, and I suspect there were Resilient Khendra I didn't see because the pump is like haste and it gives a little more reach. I also did get Invigorated Rampaged so that was there too. I didn't stick around to talk brews though, since he seemed a little down on getting pummeled from 20 to 0 through a Lightning Strike thanks to double Defence, and apparently it was a borrowed deck anyway.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
TCC is way more annoying than saffron olive and MaRo put together because MaRo and SO are genuine and the professor puts on an extremely obvious affect

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

well now i know what im makin for dinner tomorrow

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Zubera Rally is sweet AF. I find him annoying but stuff like this makes it all worthwhile.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Chef John is great. I made his Sopa de Ajo with the flavors punched up a little bit for Thanksgiving, it's to die for.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

sit on my Facebook posted:

TCC is way more annoying than saffron olive and MaRo put together because MaRo and SO are genuine and the professor puts on an extremely obvious affect

I only watch TCC for deck box and sleeve reviews and when he did the video about new cards warping, he does well with those but I cant enjoy his act outside of that type of content.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The Professor :discourse:

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Gotta say it's surprising and nice to see so many Chef John fans here.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Sorry for bragging but I started Magic with the Ixalan prerelease and just got back-to-back-to-back 3—0s in FNM draft at my LGS, plus I got into the semifinals of a 28-player standard PPTQ the other week. Feels pretty good :shobon:

Turns out Hearthstone is a lovely RNG fest but I guess it's really good at teaching you card game skills? idk

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Don't you talk poo poo about Food Wishes. Chef John is loving awesome, hairy forearms and all.

Hey hey hey, chill. I love Chef John. When a professional chef is making clean concise cooking videos and slipping in some dadjokes, it's a perfect fit.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Yeah I didn't select that video at random :yum:

e: Oh god now I'm wondering how SO can do a food/cooking themed deck brew to fully cross the streams. Modern Thallids? Feed the Clan isn't a build around card.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 24, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Katana Gomai posted:

Sorry for bragging but I started Magic with the Ixalan prerelease and just got back-to-back-to-back 3—0s in FNM draft at my LGS, plus I got into the semifinals of a 28-player standard PPTQ the other week. Feels pretty good :shobon:

Turns out Hearthstone is a lovely RNG fest but I guess it's really good at teaching you card game skills? idk

Congrats, friend, and good luck.

Picked up my FTV today. Might still try for another set from my less local game store cause I'm greedy.

Vamp is going right into my 2017 precon vamp edh deck, couple cards are perfect for the werewolf EDH I'm tossing together for a pal. Good stuff.

These cards are shiny AF.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Ever buy a playset of expensive staples only for your bubble wrapped, well packaged cards to arrive only to find out 1 of the 4 was sent. Now the seller is fighting me saying he sent them too. I suspect either the seller is scamming or an employee just pocketed what should have been sent but either way it loving sucks. Won't have this figured out till almost Christmas.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Congrats, friend, and good luck.

Picked up my FTV today. Might still try for another set from my less local game store cause I'm greedy.

Vamp is going right into my 2017 precon vamp edh deck, couple cards are perfect for the werewolf EDH I'm tossing together for a pal. Good stuff.

These cards are shiny AF.

Cheers. My LGS is asking 70€ for the set and I don't think it's worth it at that price point (esp. at EU card prices), although the Professor's point about these cards being hard to reprint has merit. OTOH I am seriously considering Explorers of Ixalan for 45€ lol.

Also the new BaB promos are sweet and my LGS says they should have more than enough to be able to give me one when I buy a box of Unstable in two weeks (they don't do presales unfortunately), which is p. rad

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I loving love Chef John, everything he makes looks goddamn tasty and makes me want to cook it up.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

Ever buy a playset of expensive staples only for your bubble wrapped, well packaged cards to arrive only to find out 1 of the 4 was sent. Now the seller is fighting me saying he sent them too. I suspect either the seller is scamming or an employee just pocketed what should have been sent but either way it loving sucks. Won't have this figured out till almost Christmas.

Nah, I just had $300 worth of Russian fetches get sent with a tracking number that half a dozen other people also got.

The guy who got the package said it contained some basic forests. English, non-matching basic forests.

It's ok though, I only have to wait 5 more days for PayPal to start looking into it. It's only been 3 weeks!

The moral of the story is never send anything as a gift ever.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

Nah, I just had $300 worth of Russian fetches get sent with a tracking number that half a dozen other people also got.

The guy who got the package said it contained some basic forests. English, non-matching basic forests.

It's ok though, I only have to wait 5 more days for PayPal to start looking into it. It's only been 3 weeks!

The moral of the story is never send anything as a gift ever.

At least mine is tcgplayer. Its still going to take weeks before they resolve it even if I am almost assured to get it figured out.

Yeah, gently caress doing the paypal gift bullshit. Buyer protection or nothing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Got my FTV set and 5 of the 15 are pretty screwed up, another 5 are slightly off, and the other 5 look fine. Just slightly set to the right, not totally unplayable and not really noticeable. Apparently most boxes are having similar problems. Huntmaster, Avacyn, Bloodline Keeper, Blood Fast, Garruk have it the worst. But I got this for 20 bucks so I don't really care, I wanted most of these for cubes and edh anyway.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I was probably going to keep it in the box. I wonder if I should open it up instead to check for damage. hm

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Has anyone ever used paypal to send an actual gift? I'm pretty sure that every time it's actually a "gift" where the receiving party wants to dodge their obligations. They should just remove the option.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

People are just looking to avoid fees. I'll usually offer to pay fees or whatever because yeah gently caress sending as a gift.

edit: and gently caress paypal too honestly. Back in the day I got a USD bank account here in Canada in order to withdraw a big(ish) balance and not get hosed on conversion rates and fees. Guess what! Paypal refused to send USD to a Canadian bank account. :(

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

Has anyone ever used paypal to send an actual gift? I'm pretty sure that every time it's actually a "gift" where the receiving party wants to dodge their obligations. They should just remove the option.

where does buying cocaine fit into the gift matrix?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Jabor posted:

We use it at work a lot when paying people back for lunch. But that's about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I've been sent a gift by a friend who split a case of some set or other with me. That's the only legit gift I can think of in like 10 years. Everything else is people who don't want to eat the fees, which is why I always end up covering them.