Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://clips.twitch.tv/InventiveInterestingPonyGingerPower

https://clips.twitch.tv/LongBashfulAlmondSoonerLater

dude is scary

counter-scary tax:

his nibs fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I've been trying to explain to someone that the flight model feels like poo poo, but they don't seem to understand.

I drew a comparison to how the pelicans move in games like Halo: they feel and look like they have weight, momentum and inertia. When you see over moving, your brain has that "I don't want to be in it's way" section light up because the simulation it it being a moving object that behaves sensibly in the context of the game world increases immersion, something Crobbler has never once shown a single iota of care about.

Also ships need to act differently on a planet than in space. They need to weave and bank into turns and orientation changes and show some semblance of actually being in a world instead of simply rotating on their centrepoint.

Makes me sad yo. Also, ban MoMA.

Cig will also not pass 2 mil in funding for sale.

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010
Judging from the recent streams, the new "Ship Boarding 3.0" tech is in and is very consistent now.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FastHyperFloofSmoocherZ

Players just need to get used to the new mechanics!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

McGiggins posted:

I've been trying to explain to someone that the flight model feels like poo poo, but they don't seem to understand.

I drew a comparison to how the pelicans move in games like Halo: they feel and look like they have weight, momentum and inertia. When you see over moving, your brain has that "I don't want to be in it's way" section light up because the simulation it it being a moving object that behaves sensibly in the context of the game world increases immersion, something Crobbler has never once shown a single iota of care about.

Also ships need to act differently on a planet than in space. They need to weave and bank into turns and orientation changes and show some semblance of actually being in a world instead of simply rotating on their centrepoint.

tell them star citizen's flight model is like turning on noclip in halflife 2 or whatever

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Kromgart posted:

Judging from the recent streams, the new "Ship Boarding 3.0" tech is in and is very consistent now.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FastHyperFloofSmoocherZ

Players just need to get used to the new mechanics!

I love how it takes several seconds before the game decides you're dead. Really adds the 'coyote stops in mid air, looks down and waves before falling' element to the comedy glitch deaths.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Snap releasing 3.0 was actually a brilliant move on their end.

By only allowing subscribers to access 3.0, they forced a ton of people to ahead and opt in to the monthly subscription rate so that they could access the PTU. Server costs are high right now, but as soon as people burn out on the lack of content server costs will drop and they'll still keep their subscriptions open to test the new builds coming out. Or the game is just so poo poo and can handle so few people per server that people will get frustrated and wait for a new build before logging in again.

So effectively, they'll be able to normalize income better by having more recurring monthly subscription income. If I were at CIG, I'd guarantee (or at least "promise") some sort of patch to the PTU every 3-4 weeks- whether it be a single fix or multiple fixes. That'd keep the subscriptions running consistently without people just starting and stopping them every few months to test out big builds. They could also claim that this is part of them being "transparent" to bolster backer support even further. Despite there being no actual gameplay and infinite bugs, backers would have direct proof that there is something being created and can fall back on their login credentials that they're paying for to remind themselves how great the game will eventually be.

For generally being Dumb Fucks over at CGI, this is actually pretty brilliant. They're selling monthly subscriptions years before an actual game is made.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

McGiggins posted:

It's because it's a character skin that has an immersive ship mesh North of 45k polys. Locked to the 000 that's why it feels like a character but looks like a sexy spaceship

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Ive said too much for a mere intern :( . Apoligies

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So this space ship games doesn't actually have space ships? Just people shaped like spaceships?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

McGiggins posted:

I second that. Catching up I'm after citcon and he didn't comeback with all his smug ; the performance was so weak that 2 days weren't enough for it. Ban him 1 week for the whole sale, so he has the time to channel the smugness enough to transform in smugmoma, he's boring otherwise.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Daztek posted:

tell them star citizen's flight model is like turning on noclip in halflife 2 or whatever

I did that friend :(. He said "I've played it, and it doesn't feel like you're describing". I was able to convince him to get a refund by archering the thread posts at him a while ago, but I fear he may buy back in. If he does, I fear I may have to buy in for the first time, solely for the purpose of griefing the poo poo out of him.

MoMA will have nothing on the despair this man will feel.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Omniblivion posted:

For generally being Dumb Fucks over at CGI, this is actually pretty brilliant. They're selling monthly subscriptions years before an actual game is made.

All credit for high-efficiency whale milking goes to Turbulent.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Spiderdrake posted:

So this space ship games doesn't actually have space ships? Just people shaped like spaceships?

These are not even spaceships, they are submarines. Star citizen is a nogame where you control an anthropomorphic submarine. It sounds nice but love pledge will release before it, making the concept old and unoriginal.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen: Loading

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

EightAce posted:

As far as Chris Roberts is concerned starship troopers is citizen Kane . You will see lots of sq42 next month. But none of it will be in game .You will however see lots of loving terrible dialogue as performed by some good actors .... and Sandi. You will also see mopping

I would pay $1000 for the Director’s Cut of that game. I fear we will never even see a fraction of its original scope, that it will end up a lost legend of disasterpiece theater.

The only consolation we’re that to happen would be the thought of Sandi’s absolute impotent fury at the realization that Chris, armed with his dubious ethics, a fistful of dollars, and the illusion of command of a zeitgeist was able to remove all barriers and every possible impediment so as to assure her of that once in a lifetime chance that every star dreams of, a chance to star alongside Hollywood royalty in a breakout role made just for her — though her talents were too meager to deserve it.

There it was, right before her, the wonderland she’d dreamed of for years and the road made clear by book and crook just for her... and then Chris, “Oh Chris”, he blocked the very way he’d opened up with his you can’t fake this kind of stupid incompetence and hubris. She shall not pass. The one impediment he couldn’t remove was his very self, yet he was all that was needed to foreclose via sheer dunderheadedness on the dream shot he’d bent ethics and common sense to clear for her, and forever when she looked upon his face, she would only see a giant wrapper around it that says “sucker” as in the cartoons of old.

However much they both deserve this bitter end I truly do hope it never comes to that. I’d rather play the game in all its glory just as the creator envisioned it.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
heh

https://clips.twitch.tv/AlertBigChickpeaNononoCat

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gotta give it to CIG that is one hell of an immersive crash to desktop

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY THREE MILLION BILLION SQUILLION ZILLION SQUH... FFUH... F... SPACE DOLLAH

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
so apparently you don't have enough fuel to actually fly to the planet without using the FTL method

it's just disguised instances

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/934194953772822528

You know you're in the presence of a piece of outstanding Star Citizen marketing, when you find yourself taking a screengrab of it, just in case it disappears.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

I just want to highlight how weird it is that this is no longer a sale of a product and is instead "customers" rewarding a company for delivering on a sales pitch they created in their own minds.

This is Twilight Zone poo poo where a banker or something wakes up in a world where people treat buying goods and services like donating to charities. He goes insane being unable to cope with a world where the most prosperous and successful companies don't even need products they just need to make the customers feel good for giving them money.

Maybe a Sliders episode where an alternate earth has customers treating the CEO and executives at companies like celebrity crushes they pay money to when they do things they like. Aarons went to the bahamas with his wife to work on their marriage? OilCorp deserves some money.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 25, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

There website must be getting hammered, slow as molasses.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

BlancoNino posted:

It's almost as if everyone involved with Star Citizen is a huge piece of poo poo.

In some respects Chris Roberts little entourage of apologists, rear end-kisses and enablers are even more odious than he is — and that’s not lightly said. The deference, the obsequiousness, the instinctive impulse to praise, reinforce, amplify and abet the myths and lies of a crooked, greedy ignoramous are acts of total immasculation.

That Chris expects it and probably all but demands it is no excuse to accede yet too many do, despite what it robs them of and taints them with.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Buy this ship or Menek Dart and his goon bodies win.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

There website must be getting hammered, slow as molasses.

How's this compare to previous sales?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Heavy_Bob/status/934197000974643200

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Is that a dos window running after it crashes?

Cab I only assume the command line says : thanks for playing star citizen

?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So apparently something in their system still thinks I'm a concierge level backer because I was sent the access code for the PTU overnight. Time for some stories:

Today's mission is "Load into the game and fly to some kind of moon."

Attempt 1)
I load into the main menu and attempt to log into the universe- the game goes to a black screen while epic music plays. I assume that this is it now, the Star Citizen experience. Just listen to the music and imagine the adventures your spaceman must be having. I imagine my spaceman's way through college, a stable middle class job, and eventual retirement. He dies surrounded by his family and friends and with his journey concluded, I shed a single tear and ctrl-alt-delete to restart having spent about 10 minutes staring at nothing.

Attempt 2)
I have access to all of the hangars, I guess? I try to load the asteroid hangar figuring it probably won't kick me to a black screen for quite as long. Sure enough, I get in, but much to my surprise the actual loaded game is nearly pitch black anyway. Everything is dark and moving my head leaves trails of motion blur in the most sickening way imaginable. I go fiddle with config settings for several minutes (gamma does nothing) and eventually get it looking passable. I take about 10 steps forward into the elevator. The gate closes behind me. I try to push buttons on the console... nope. Try to go back out... nope. This is the most realistic stuck-in-an-elevator simulator I've ever experienced, it's really very breathtaking. Apparently you have to push "F" to "Focus" which makes controls pop up and that's how you're supposed to interact with things now. All it does for me is decouple my mouse movement from my head movement, but there are no interactivity points to be had.

Deciding to make the most of my time stuck in the elevator, I pull up the "Moby Glass," presumably named for the distinctive eyewear of the american DJ and animal rights activist. I'd seen some videos of this thing and kind of assumed they looked lovely because somebody was filming their monitor with a cell phone camera, but no- it actually looks like that. The distortion and level of filtering on the menu is unreal and unreadable. There are a zillion tiny icons and I kind of click around for a minute trying to figure out if any of them do anything. I'm particularly fond of slots T1 through T30 in my character inventory, each of which can apparently be set to carry one of about twenty different ammo magazines. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to carry any guns.

Eventually it becomes apparent that the elevator repairmen are hours away at best, so I exit to main menu and try to load back into the universe.

Attempt 3)
Black screen for about 15 minutes so far.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

How many actors are they up to now that probably cost at least 100k a week ?

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

Missed this on my first pass. Hope you're not injured mate.

Only a biker will fully appreciate the sentiment of this question: "Is your bike ok?"

Tail is smashed, but its a tough bike. I'm fine, I forked out for an airbag jacket and that, unlike SC, turned out to have been a wise way to spend money.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

I think it's always wise to publicly flaunt proprietary information stolen from a company run by thieves. There are never legal ramifications when you come in possession of someone else's IP. Hater thought his day was going badly those times he got banned from Derek's discord...

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Two hours of trying and this noob Citizen finally gets on a Nox without it crashing...

https://clips.twitch.tv/HeartlessEntertainingTarsierPhilosoraptor

:discourse:

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

You know, it occurs to me with all this new cash flowing in, now would be the time to get a refund.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

By the way, G0RF thanks for your write ups and effort posts.

I really enjoy reading through them

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010

"Yesss, citizensss, we need you help to protect the Dream those you love from those evil goons vanduul and their agent Derek Smart Parker Tyrell, who dares to question how we valiantly spend millions on designing new groundbreaking coats rivets"

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

what you riding codezombie? also get on Discord so we can trade lewd bike Screenshots

2015 Zero-SR

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

So apparently something in their system still thinks I'm a concierge level backer because I was sent the access code for the PTU overnight. Time for some stories:

Today's mission is "Load into the game and fly to some kind of moon."

Attempt 1)
I load into the main menu and attempt to log into the universe- the game goes to a black screen while epic music plays. I assume that this is it now, the Star Citizen experience. Just listen to the music and imagine the adventures your spaceman must be having. I imagine my spaceman's way through college, a stable middle class job, and eventual retirement. He dies surrounded by his family and friends and with his journey concluded, I shed a single tear and ctrl-alt-delete to restart having spent about 10 minutes staring at nothing.

Attempt 2)
I have access to all of the hangars, I guess? I try to load the asteroid hangar figuring it probably won't kick me to a black screen for quite as long. Sure enough, I get in, but much to my surprise the actual loaded game is nearly pitch black anyway. Everything is dark and moving my head leaves trails of motion blur in the most sickening way imaginable. I go fiddle with config settings for several minutes (gamma does nothing) and eventually get it looking passable. I take about 10 steps forward into the elevator. The gate closes behind me. I try to push buttons on the console... nope. Try to go back out... nope. This is the most realistic stuck-in-an-elevator simulator I've ever experienced, it's really very breathtaking. Apparently you have to push "F" to "Focus" which makes controls pop up and that's how you're supposed to interact with things now. All it does for me is decouple my mouse movement from my head movement, but there are no interactivity points to be had.

Deciding to make the most of my time stuck in the elevator, I pull up the "Moby Glass," presumably named for the distinctive eyewear of the american DJ and animal rights activist. I'd seen some videos of this thing and kind of assumed they looked lovely because somebody was filming their monitor with a cell phone camera, but no- it actually looks like that. The distortion and level of filtering on the menu is unreal and unreadable. There are a zillion tiny icons and I kind of click around for a minute trying to figure out if any of them do anything. I'm particularly fond of slots T1 through T30 in my character inventory, each of which can apparently be set to carry one of about twenty different ammo magazines. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to carry any guns.

Eventually it becomes apparent that the elevator repairmen are hours away at best, so I exit to main menu and try to load back into the universe.

Attempt 3)
Black screen for about 15 minutes so far.

You're experiencing the amazing polish the developers put into the game in the last few weeks after they got invaluable Evocati feedback, alongside Chris Roberts perfectionism making sure nothing releases until it's completely flawless.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

AP posted:

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/934194953772822528

You know you're in the presence of a piece of outstanding Star Citizen marketing, when you find yourself taking a screengrab of it, just in case it disappears.

hahaha who the gently caress talks like that?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

hahaha who the gently caress talks like that?

Someone typing angry while creating marketing material most likely

Did anyone recently publicly take the piss out of Sandi on social media?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

SomethingJones posted:

Ironically the only thing I've seen working in 3.0 are the doors.

Everything else is broken, everything.

Not quite too sure on your relatives there...

https://clips.twitch.tv/AggressiveRelentlessDragonflyTBTacoRight