Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

.Z. posted:

-Try and book a reservation at Den, especially if you can get your parents to cover it. http://www.jimbochoden.com/en/

When I asked if they were interested in booking a reservation at a high-end restaurant they gave me a very vague response about choosing whatever I thought would be appropriate for the trip, which I took as a no. I can try again and get a real answer out of them or just go on my own, cause it does look pretty drat good...

EDIT: Phone reservations only, and it's only open 12 to 5 Japan time. Should be fun. :shepicide:

quote:

-Tsukiji Inner Market - The wholesale section is open to tourists, though you'd still need to be there in the morning to see anything. No flash photography. Also none of the sushi resturants (Dai, Daiwa, and the others) are really worth waiting 2 hours for.

Oh. Whoops. For some reason I got it into my head that the wholesale area was closed off to non-workers. :downs:

quote:

-Did your friend tell you what NEWTYPE is? Or have you googled it yet?

Haha, yeah, I know. She has friends over in NEWTYPE is why it came up, and it's possible I might go say hi, but I have no idea if the opportunity would even be there.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I may be jaded by living in Asia and going to fish markets to shop normally but I wouldn't make a huge effort to visit Tsukiji. It's a big fish market. There's a lot of fish to look at. I didn't think the sushi there was any better than at a good place elsewhere in the city, and it's not any cheaper since so many tourists go there.

Like it's not the worst thing to do but it would be one of the first things I cut if you find yourself pressed for time.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I may be jaded by living in Asia and going to fish markets to shop normally but I wouldn't make a huge effort to visit Tsukiji. It's a big fish market. There's a lot of fish to look at. I didn't think the sushi there was any better than at a good place elsewhere in the city, and it's not any cheaper since so many tourists go there.

Like it's not the worst thing to do but it would be one of the first things I cut if you find yourself pressed for time.
I'd agree the inner market isn't really worth it, but I think, for a first-timer, outer market will be interesting. Plus lots of places to buy things to snack on.

Pollyanna posted:

When I asked if they were interested in booking a reservation at a high-end restaurant they gave me a very vague response about choosing whatever I thought would be appropriate for the trip, which I took as a no. I can try again and get a real answer out of them or just go on my own, cause it does look pretty drat good...

EDIT: Phone reservations only, and it's only open 12 to 5 Japan time. Should be fun. :shepicide:

Yeah getting through to them seems to be near impossible now. But it's really is worth it if you can snag it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I thought Tsukiji was closing this year?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Phone posted:

I thought Tsukiji was closing this year?

Relocation got pushed out to Fall 2018 and the outer market is supposed to stay put.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This is the place to eat in the inner market:
Tonkatsu Yachiyo - 築地5-2-1, 築地卸売市場6号館 - http://4sq.com/9aEYzr

None of the tourists know about it so they'll be like hour long lines at the sushi places on either side but none here. I recommend the kuruma ebi, anago, aji plate.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh yeah, Pollyana you're into cooking right? Tsukiji Masamoto has a shop in the outer market. They've got a listing of their knives here so you can see what they've got: https://www.mtckitchen.com/japanese-knives/brand/tsukiji-masamoto/
You should totally snag one while you're there because the prices in the shop are 1/3-1/2 of what they are imported. I've got a carbon gyuto and it's a loving awesome knife.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We'll see if we get inside Tsukiji - I'm gonna have to get up reaaaal early for that :saddowns:

Stringent posted:

This is the place to eat in the inner market:
Tonkatsu Yachiyo - 築地5-2-1, 築地卸売市場6号館 - http://4sq.com/9aEYzr

None of the tourists know about it so they'll be like hour long lines at the sushi places on either side but none here. I recommend the kuruma ebi, anago, aji plate.

And if we make it, I am definitely going here. That looks drat good.

Stringent posted:

Oh yeah, Pollyana you're into cooking right? Tsukiji Masamoto has a shop in the outer market. They've got a listing of their knives here so you can see what they've got: https://www.mtckitchen.com/japanese-knives/brand/tsukiji-masamoto/
You should totally snag one while you're there because the prices in the shop are 1/3-1/2 of what they are imported. I've got a carbon gyuto and it's a loving awesome knife.

gently caress yeah, I need a knife that isn't some bullshit IKEA thing. I'll make sure we stop by! Do they let you bring it through customs? Do you sharpen those knives like any others?

-----

Here's my Kyoto itinerary - how's this for an example itinerary?

4/20 - Blaze It

Day: Bullet Train

Travel to Kyoto from Tokyo. How, you may wonder? BULLET TRAIN :science: Our best bet is to take the Hikari train, which is covered by the JR Rail Pass (which we might want), to Kyoto from Tokyo - it will take about 2 hours and 40 minutes. Check into whatever Airbnb we settle on, and walk around a bit.

Night: Free Time, maybe?

Honestly, in Kyoto, we could just walk around and stumble upon something cool. Would be good to stretch our legs after being stuck on a train for 3 hours, so I'll leave this open for anything that might come up.

4/21 - Shrines and Dines

Day: Northeast Kyoto (Heian Shrine, Nijo Castle, Yasaka Shrine)

There's a lot to do in Kyoto, and one way to approach it is to hit the corners. In the northeast, there's Heian Shrine, Nijo Castle, and Yasaka Shrine - it's a good example of what to expect from Kyoto!

TODO - Add more details!

Night: Gion, Cooking class!

Walk down Hanamikoji Street in Gion, where we can look at the old-style roads and architecture. Also, at some point, I want to take a cooking class, and I think Kyoto would be a good place to do that.

4/22 - Bamboo Hell

Day: Northwest Kyoto (Kinkaku-ji, Arashiyama and the Bamboo Grove)

Kinkaku-ji is a villa-turned-temple covered in gold leaf - you might recognize it from The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima. Arashiyama, on the other hand, is a district that houses many shrines and temples, and most notably includes the Bamboo Grove, a big forest of bamboo.

Night: Uhhhh

Hey thread, anyone got ideas for night-time stuff to do in Kyoto? Assuming that what we can do during the day won't take all the way 'til bedtime, which is possible.

4/23 - Obligatory Hot Springs Episode

Day: Southeast Kyoto (Kiyomizu Temple, Fushimi Inari Shrine)

Night: Free Time, Ryokan, Onsen

Go wherever catches our fancy during the evening, and then check into a ryokan at night. The ryokan will likely offer a meal done in kaiseki style, which will likely be relatively light, small, and artistic. If we're lucky, they might even have a hot springs attached!!

4/24 - GOTO Osaka

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 25, 2017

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pollyanna posted:

Do they let you bring it through customs? Do you sharpen those knives like any others?

Customs is no problem, just put it in your checked bag. There's a thread in GWS about how to sharpen them.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Stringent posted:

Last time I went a couple of months back there was actually a line of 2 people. But yeah, good spot.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Hey thread, anyone got ideas for night-time stuff to do in Kyoto? Assuming that what we can do during the day won't take all the way 'til bedtime, which is possible.

Wander around Gion and across the bridge in the Sanjo area. Both areas looks and feels different at night. Almost serene in Gion due to most of the daytime tourists have left and lively in the Sanjo area as that's where the nightlife and eateries are(note: can be very busy and crowded)

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

You could go for an evening performance with a maiko(Geisha in training). I did this earlier this year and I really enjoyed the experience. It was 1.5 hour of us talking, with a dance in between. There was unlimited drinks as well but I ended up not drinking much at all. There's also options where you have dinner and they perform there.

Foreign Substance
Mar 6, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Day: Southeast Kyoto (Kiyomizu Temple, Fushimi Inari Shrine)

If you're not claustrophobic or afraid of the dark I recommend looking up Tainai Meguri (aka Zuigudo Hall). It's a little Buddhist temple in the Kyomizu-dera area where you can "return to the womb of great merciful mother" - i.e. bumble through a dark tunnel with your shoes off. It definitely stood out for me among the approximately 300 temples I visited in Kyoto.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nanzen-ji has huge brick aqueducts, it is a nice chill spot.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Stringent posted:

Dang, this looks like a great idea. I'm going to have to try getting one myself when I go next.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Have them polish a new knife for you instead of grabbing whatever. I was in a rush because stringent had to go back to work. And do take it out of the newspaper as soon as you can because it dirties the knife too easily

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 7, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Anyone in Osaka? Aside from having to do a family trip to Universal, I've got nothing officially scheduled in Japan from the 17-21 December. If a goon wants to get a bite to eat or have some beer or sake, I'd be game.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nara, Himeji, Spa World, Kaiyukan.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
kobe luminarie is on until the 18th, i haven't been yet but it seems pretty cool. i live between kobe and osaka and i'm free sunday night, but have friends coming to visit from monday onwards

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can't really see much of it from the viewing spot but the largest tomb in the world is the big kofun in Sakai, not too far south of Osaka proper. Kinda cool though it'd be a lot cooler if the household agency shut the gently caress up and let it be excavated.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi anyone have any tips about driving around Hokkaido?

Im asking for a friend who wants to spend a week in Hokkaido. He knows Kanto pretty well and have snow driving experience

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PD02uN8k6c

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

caberham posted:

Hi anyone have any tips about driving around Hokkaido?

Im asking for a friend who wants to spend a week in Hokkaido. He knows Kanto pretty well and have snow driving experience

I did this in golden week. I recommend the oronron line. It’s a coastal road from Sapporo to Wakkanai that goes through a national park. You can check out cape soya or Japan’s northernmost McDonald’s at the end. Probably the most beautiful drive I’ve done in japan or anywhere for that matter (I’m from nz so I’ve been looking at nice poo poo out of car windows forever). It’s probably cold as balls in wakkanai now though.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I did this in golden week. I recommend the oronron line. It’s a coastal road from Sapporo to Wakkanai that goes through a national park. You can check out cape soya or Japan’s northernmost McDonald’s at the end. Probably the most beautiful drive I’ve done in japan or anywhere for that matter (I’m from nz so I’ve been looking at nice poo poo out of car windows forever). It’s probably cold as balls in wakkanai now though.

I think which place you recommend driving in Hokkaido is basically a function of where you went to. EG. I drove along the Abashiri coast all the way through to Shiretoko, along with Otaru through Shakotan, and they were similarly quite beautiful.

Dont know about Hokkaido in particular in the winter, but I will say I have driven in lots of snow in Japan in rentals before.

In other serious news, I generally like Toyota Rental Car and Times Rental Car the best. Legitimately, they're the same as all of the other major brands, but the last time I used Budget Rental Car, the guy spent like 40 minutes reading me through warnings about how to drive properly in Japan and making sure that as a Gaijin I followed safety reasons to the point, including a 15 minute video on learning to drive. He also tried to upsell me and describe in English insurance requirements, when I've rented cars many, many times and indicated that I was fine. Both Times/Toyota, consistently, are like 'oh, you speak Japanese and probably have been to the country five billion time', then give me the keys and let me on my way.

Also Japan is the easiest country in the world I have ever driven in, as long as you don't have to do five billion unprotected right turns across train tram tracks in Matsuyama.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 12, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ahhhhhhhhh downtown Matsuyama :supaburn:

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I just wanted to call out that Apple has made Felica (read SUICA) support a global standard on their iPhone 8s and 10s, instead of just being restricted to the Japanese versions of the 7s. Not having to pay attention to the turnstiles for the remaining card balance or deal with ticket machine to recharge is nicer than I was expecting. Being able to do it all on the phone is great.

Just something to keep in mind if you are an iOS user on the latest generation or whenever your upgrade cycle bumps you up.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I read earlier today that apparently Japan is one of the cheapest countries to buy iPhones. If I was to buy an iPhone during my next trip to Japan, is there anything specific I should be worried about?

As mentioned above, the contactless payment chip has become standardised so that shouldn't be an issue for when I get it back to the UK at least.

Also, is the camera shutter sound permanently switched on or can it be silenced if I log in to a UK iCloud account or whatever?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lol

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There are many reasons why it's not ideal. If cost is your real motivation, buy an older model in your home country.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

peanut posted:

There are many reasons why it's not ideal. If cost is your real motivation, buy an older model in your home country.

If you're in Japan anyway I don't see the issue unless you really want to take stealth pix all the time. Japanese iPhones are legitimately among the cheapest and if you're a tourist you get to skip out on tax.

But Japan still gets it's very own iPhone model for the 8 and X (it's the only region that does, in fact), so make sure the LTE/Radio bands work for you wherever you're using it and assume it might have some other weirdery since it is a unique model. The camera shutter sound never shuts off IIRC, it's hard-locked to the hardware somehow.

List of iPhone models and what bands they support are here: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey some people go to japan and buy kit kat and pocky. It’s tax free!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
We're looking to go to Japan in December next year, and we want to drop past Mt Fuji. I'm not keen on climbing it, so should we just jump off the train and see it, or is there something we SHOULD see around it that makes it worth staying a day or two? I'm honestly not sure what to expect there.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

tehsid posted:

We're looking to go to Japan in December next year, and we want to drop past Mt Fuji. I'm not keen on climbing it, so should we just jump off the train and see it, or is there something we SHOULD see around it that makes it worth staying a day or two? I'm honestly not sure what to expect there.

You can’t climb it then anyway; climbing season is from July to Sept and it’s otherwise off-limits. You’d die and they’d arrest your frozen corpse.

However it’s a nice countryside area, and there’s Onsen in probably all the nearby towns, especially Gotenba and Hakone. Also there’s plenty of skiing around there if you’re so inclined.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

If you are intending to climb Mount Fuji in December, here are some very important recommendations:

1) You probably should be spending quite a bit of money on gear, specifically a full winter suit, very solid boots with crampons, GPS equipment, first aid, and an extremely solid pack.
2) You probably should have good climbing experience, especially in winter conditions
3) Make sure you fill out a climbing form with the police or closest station, especially given the conditions.
4) Note that the mountain huts are closed.

Mount Fuji isn't going to be as bad as climbing Mount Everest, but it will be approximately the difficulty of climbing Mount Mckinley in the summer.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Magna Kaser posted:

If you're in Japan anyway I don't see the issue unless you really want to take stealth pix all the time. Japanese iPhones are legitimately among the cheapest and if you're a tourist you get to skip out on tax.

But Japan still gets it's very own iPhone model for the 8 and X (it's the only region that does, in fact), so make sure the LTE/Radio bands work for you wherever you're using it and assume it might have some other weirdery since it is a unique model. The camera shutter sound never shuts off IIRC, it's hard-locked to the hardware somehow.

List of iPhone models and what bands they support are here: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
I think the camera shutter would just frustrate me too much. Cheers for the information though! :)

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle

tehsid posted:

I liked going to Kawaguchiko, in the Fuji Five Lakes region, which had a nice big lake and little town to walk around, and you can take a cable car up Kachi Kachi Mountain for a better view of Fuji and the surroundings. (although on a good weather day you can see it from most of the town) The website says its running year round http://www.kachikachiyama-ropeway.com/en/

I don't know what its like to stay there, I always did it as a day trip from Tokyo, which is definitely doable and you can ride the Fujikyuko line from Otsuki station which is kind of neat.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Could someone tell me if this account has a store front that I could visit and if so, where they are located and the hours:

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/seller/filmcameratokyo

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

Could someone tell me if this account has a store front that I could visit and if so, where they are located and the hours:

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/seller/filmcameratokyo

Thank you!

Looks like it’s here, in Yokohama:
フィルムカメラ東京
〒221-0802 神奈川県横浜市神奈川区六角橋2丁目1−20
0120-966-262
https://goo.gl/maps/PcyWjdSrfKD2

Doesn’t give hours but he’s off every wed, sun, and some other days.