Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Snak posted:

It's actually much shallower than Yakuza 0's combat.
Less frustrating though since it isn't based on keeping your heat gauge up against bosses that don't hitstun.

Incidentally 6 fixes lots of that and Kiwami 2, which uses that combat system I am told, comes out here in two weeks. Holy poo poo.

edit: oh what, a demo of it came out on the 22nd and I didn't notice.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nier is a game people won't care a whole lot about after the effect of the ~wacky~ marketing wears off.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Motto posted:

Nier is a game people won't care a whole lot about after the effect of the ~wacky~ marketing wears off.

What was the wacky marketing?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Motto posted:

There was marketing?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah all I remember thinking is "It's Yoko Taro so it will have a bizarre tragic story, good music and be crass as hell but this time good gameplay because of Platinum"...was there something other than that?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Oneiros posted:

Don’t get FF XV

FFXV is one of the best times I've had playing a video game. People should get it cheap, it's great despite its flaws.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SE playing up the taro stuff has felt really forced to me for a while.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

fridge corn posted:

There was marketing?

There was a trailer and a demo that i know of.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PacoPepe posted:

Horizon talk, i wasnt expecting this, im doing a new game + run and they sort of merged the narrative of the expansion with the base game, like, they seem to reference each other depending on where you are in the story.
Its been a couple lines of dialogue so far, but it does make the expansion feel more integrated, as if it has always been there, cool stuff.

Yeah I'm running through TFW now right after the Grave-Hoards in the main story, and some dialogue is changed depending on how much you already know prior to meeting CYAN and Hephaestus. They then added in dialogue when Aloy discovers the Zero Dawn facility if you complete TFW prior to doing it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

FFXV is one of the best times I've had playing a video game. People should get it cheap, it's great despite its flaws.

I'll second the love for FF15, it's a really cool game with fun combat and a really nice ending. The banter between the characters is nice and they've added a poo poo ton of content to it in the last year so the experience is quite a bit less truncated now. I'm a bit jealous of people who are just now picking it up.

veni veni veni posted:

$25 for Persona 5 at Target. Couldn't pass that one up.

That's one hell of a deal. Welcome to waifu-town, mate!

Remember to knock out that first palace well in advance of the calendar deadline. :suicide:

edit; Oh, also, the localization is really good in general but the free download japanese voice pack is excellent and highly recommended, especially since the cat's voice is a bit annoying in the english voiced version and you hear him A LOT.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 25, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What's the story with the different versions of FFXV available on PSN? If I want to play the full story, what one do I need to get?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Complete Edition or w/e it's called comes with all 3 extra story DLCs for each of the protagonist's friends and the multiplayer mode. If you want like an extra hour of side-story with a different gameplay mechanic (each one has a different gimmick) and/or Final Fantasy 15: Monster Hunter Mode then get the complete edition

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Samurai Sanders posted:

Less frustrating though since it isn't based on keeping your heat gauge up against bosses that don't hitstun.

Incidentally 6 fixes lots of that and Kiwami 2, which uses that combat system I am told, comes out here in two weeks. Holy poo poo.

edit: oh what, a demo of it came out on the 22nd and I didn't notice.

It wasn't until the end of Kiwami 1 that I really started getting into the groove of the combat and the fights started to feel interesting. If that game had 0's inaction heat drain I probably would not have gotten that far.

Protip for any new players: Anyone who tells you Rush stance is bad is lying to you

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What's the story with the different versions of FFXV available on PSN? If I want to play the full story, what one do I need to get?

The DLC chapters flesh out story events that happen off screen in the main game, and also major developments with 3 of the characters. I would say if you're planning on playing for the first time then the DLC counts as essential, and I wish I had waited for the complete edition. But whatever.

Multiplayer sounds really cool, but I've got a bunch of other games right now to run through.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
Bought Yakuza 0 on a whim today. Played the poo poo out of Shenmue/Sleeping Dogs and I'm currently slogging through Persona 5. Is it as fun as I think it's gonna be?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

teknetik posted:

Bought Yakuza 0 on a whim today. Played the poo poo out of Shenmue/Sleeping Dogs and I'm currently slogging through Persona 5. Is it as fun as I think it's gonna be?

Absolutely. I’ve played through yakuza 4 before but I didn’t anticipate how good yakuza 0’s substories would be. I want to do all of them. The game is loving hilarious.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've had a better time with FFXV than Persona 5. Then again, I never finished Persona 3 or 4. Don't know why I keep expecting the next one to be better... For starters, there are no cats telling me when to go to bed in FFXV. Also, the music is better, and there are no high school to be seen. Also, noone is dating their teacher, who by the way does 'maid service' on the side because of course she does. Actually, if you ignore hunts and and just go with the game's flow, FFXV is unironically a very good time. And nothing in the game comes even close to being as stupid as the P5 spoiler.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 25, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm thinking on preordering Yakuza 6 after hours edition because it has awesome poo poo. Not a fan of "premium" editions but hell:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pimping out my homeroom teacher in P5 is one of the highlights of the last 25 years of videogaming.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

Hi I’m a bad nerd who doesn’t know anything about gizmos: are their gaming headphones that work on both PS4 and PC? Is that allowed?

Absolutely. There are wired and wireless. I use the Razer Man o' War wireless ones, and all I do is switch the bluetooth dongle out from the PS4 to the PC whenever I'm switching back and forth.

To make it easy on yourself, if you find a set made specifically for PS4, I would almost guarantee it'll work on your PC. If you buy a 3rd party headset, you may have compatibility issues (ex. the Razer I have doesn't work on the Xbone for some stupid reason, but the upgraded Man o' War 7.1, will), so I've found it best to find a set designed for console, then just use it on the PC as usual.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
XV is cool. It's got its problems but I had a lot of fun with it and it has really stuck with me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

Nier is top ten goty for me and I don't know what 'whacky marketing' you mean unless it's YT genuinely being an eccentric crazy man.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
^^^: Oh hell yeah, GOTY for me big time. It was a really strong year for games in general, but that's probably the first game I've played in a decade that I finished while still wanting more.

XV was really fun up until you got on that stupid boat.

P5 is good pretty much the whole way through and had really great music. Goddamn do I love some Persona music.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Did the multiplayer add on for FFXV end up being fun / good?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The full story does not exist in any version of the game

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why is Yakuza 0 still full price nearly a year after release? It's not a Nintendo game. And the BB sale on it is sold out everywhere.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Why is Yakuza 0 still full price nearly a year after release? It's not a Nintendo game. And the BB sale on it is sold out everywhere.

There are ton of used copies in my local gamestops, maybe you could find them at a local shop?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Shwqa posted:

There are ton of used copies in my local gamestops, maybe you could find them at a local shop?

My 2 closest GS each say it's in stock for $30. So I put through an online reserve. We'll see if it's actually in stock.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So, I've played a bit more HZD, stray thoughts:

Bumped the difficulty down to Hard; I'm sorely out of practise at aiming with a controller so I wasn't landing a single critical shot and even watchers were 2-hitting me. Decided to actually enjoy the game instead of being dumb about it.
-Rost. :smith:

I'm really, really liking this game, and I can't wait to see where the story and setting go. For now, Meridian, here I come. ON A HORSE

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

The full story does not exist in any version of the game

Don't be a jerk now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

WHO'S UP FOR SOME TLOU FACTIONS??

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Don't be a jerk now.

Mea culpa

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Come on now, you can like FFXV but let's not pretend that game was released in an even close to done state or that, even with a bunch of free updates, it's managed to get they're they

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Wrong thread

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

My biggest beef with FFXV is that the gameplay itself is boring as sin. Warp strike then hold down square if something attacks hold down circle, repeat. I liked the game but 40 hours in the gameplay has not changed and will not change except for a power up mode. Whee. Made it to ch 6, havent touched it since.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Final Fantasy XV... is good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I liked it. there's at least one demo tho for anyone on the fence (there might be a few actually)

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I like the car boy adventures

And I'm stoked to do all the post story content when I get my hands on a pro

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm downloading a 17 gig patch for FFXV now. Does that mean they eventually finished the game?

Because the last time I played it it was an unfinished mess. A pretty unfinished mess but an unfinished mess regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm still debating whether I want to trade in my PS4 slim for a Pro

Financially the answer is obviously "lol" but my lizard brain wants it now that my TV can hack it