Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

Stolen from the terrible car thread

There's so much wrong with that image but I just can't get over the impracticality of a grinder with threads like that :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

There's so much wrong with that image but I just can't get over the impracticality of a grinder with threads like that :wtc:

And the screw holes that are just going to catch the ground up weed and make it a bitch to get out. And the whole not being able to flip the bottom part over and tap it out. That would just be a terrible grinder overall without even getting to the car parts.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It also looks uncomfortable as gently caress to shift with, but jeeze that's like the worst-designed grinder of all time

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > These are the people you share a road with: jeeze that's like the worst-designed grinder of all time

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dagen H posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > These are the people you share a road with: jeeze that's like the worst-designed grinder of all time

I'm not Adiabatic, but I'm pretty sure that's too long.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
One weird trick to get the police dogs to signal every time and generate probable cause!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Any idea on what the model of vehicles those works of art are sitting in?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

canyoneer posted:

One weird trick to get the police dogs to signal every time and generate probable cause!

I think if the police dogs are there you're a bit past the probable cause part :v:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm similarly curious about the camo one.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I think if the police dogs are there you're a bit past the probable cause part :v:

Reasonable suspicion gets the dog there and walking around your car.
A signal from the dog triggers probable cause and gets the cops inside your car :eng101:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

10th gen civic. dude has pictures of his plate and everything up, so if the OPP decided to make his life miserable, it would be suuuuuuper easy.

Dagen H posted:

I'm similarly curious about the camo one.

scion FRS. I almost want to say it's a render. a lot of their "pictures" have super hosed up lighting and the climate control is always set to 21.0/20.5

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

So I was traveling in the left lane on NY I-90 near Schenectady between 65-70 when a guy in a Buick SUV in the right lane decided THIS IS MY LANE NOW and merged into me, literally colliding with my passenger side and pushing me into the center breakdown lane and taking off at around 90 mph. While he was pushing me out of the lane, I could see/hear chunks of his car getting ground off and deposited into the road by my Jeep's tires. I caught up with him, snapped a few pics of his licence plate (Michigan plates), as well as the terrified looking child in the passenger seat, and let him go on his way while I pulled over to assess my damage and call the police.

After getting off the phone with 911 I get out to check my damage and find that the full extent of it was amazingly: some light scuffs that will buff out with a few washes, the fuel door popped open, and the mirror folded in. Upon seeing how little damage there was I called PD dispatch back (it had been about 30 minutes) and asked if it was worth it to wait for an officer- and they said that they think they had caught the other guy and he was claiming a knee injury, so I had to fill out a police report. After another hour a tow truck pulls up and tells me to meet the officer at the next exit, where he tells me that there's nothing worth filling out an accident report for but he would fill out an incident report in case I find damage later, and that the knee injury was from a different hit and run on that stretch of highway at the same time.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
The drunk who rammed me at speed on a stale red (also has 3 DUI convictions and 4 convictions of driving on a suspended license) has pled not guilty and is fighting the charges. Good luck with that, rear end in a top hat. Too bad all the other times his license was suspended didn't seem to deter him. Maybe next time he'll just drive off a bridge and drown.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

sleepy.eyes posted:

Maybe next time he'll just drive off a bridge and drown.

This just happened yesterday, but no one drowned.

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2017/nov/22/updating-car-plunges-water-near-eureka-slough-brid/

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Heading to work yesterday during 5 PM rush-hour on IH-35. IH-35 doesn't allow trucks in the far left lane (at least around Austin...not that I don't see the occasional Semi Trailer shifting into high gear to pass a slow-rear end old lady or another Semi that actually has a working speed governor) so a lot of people will try to slam themselves into the fast lane. This is a Bad Idea during slow traffic because now you have 10x the cars in "fast" lane and it becomes slower than the other two lanes.

Some idiot figured that out and realized he had a 3-4 second window to move to the middle lane which was actually moving. So what does he do? Wait until the fifth second to pull out and brake-check me. Von Fuckstick doesn't stop there: he sees the outside lane is moving even faster (for about 200 feet until the next on-ramp where it will stop again) and he does have a good 4-5 second window to move over without any problems...so he waits until the 6th second to brake-check some Ford pickup.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

InitialDave posted:

In fairness, they really don't ride well over them a lot of the time. Leaf sprung live axles can be especially bad.

Squidgy French suspension is best for speed humps. Hit them at 35, gently caress it.

My 2000 Toy-Auto Echo was designed in Belgium. Handles speed bumps like a champ.

But not as good as an old Citroen DS21 or Peugeot 504 would.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

VideoGameVet posted:

My 2000 Toy-Auto Echo was designed in Belgium. Handles speed bumps like a champ.

But not as good as an old Citroen DS21 or Peugeot 504 would.

I swear my old BX had antigravity, speed bumps at 40 caused as much upset as a deep breath.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cakesmith handyman posted:

I swear my old BX had antigravity, speed bumps at 40 caused as much upset as a deep breath.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydropneumatic_suspension

No longer on any Citroen models on sale due to costs :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Even on regular suspension, French stuff often rides extremely well.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

InitialDave posted:

Even on regular suspension, French stuff often rides extremely well.

That's more of citroen schtick, even on a conventional cars they tended to go balls out, for instance the 407 used double wishbone suspension. Renault and Peugeot tend to have harder suspensions than Citroen.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SlowBloke posted:

That's more of citroen schtick, even on a conventional cars they tended to go balls out, for instance the 407 used double wishbone suspension. Renault and Peugeot tend to have harder suspensions than Citroen.
Even so, they're still noticeably squidgy.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

InitialDave posted:

Even so, they're still noticeably squidgy.

Yeah, after riding in a colleague Citroen Cactus my Suzuki Swift felt like driving a Defender :)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
gently caress everything related to the I-17 north of Phoenix yesterday. ADOT decided to create the entire section of it from Cordes to Phoenix as a "holiday corridor" and lowered the speedlimit by 10 mph respective of each section. That's fine, whatever, I've got cruise control. But all it managed to do was cause straight up chaos. 50% of the people obeying the new limits, the other 50% not, on an already annoying stretch of freeway where people don't know how passing lanes work. And at NO POINT on either the trip up or the trip back later that evening did I see a single DPS cruiser on enforcement duty. They could have had a loving field day.

Single most stressful 5 hours on that interstate ever. EVER. Sorry, mom and dad, we're celebrating thanksgiving on Friday's now. Forever.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

gently caress everything related to the I-17 north of Phoenix yesterday. ADOT decided to create the entire section of it from Cordes to Phoenix as a "holiday corridor" and lowered the speedlimit by 10 mph respective of each section. That's fine, whatever, I've got cruise control. But all it managed to do was cause straight up chaos. 50% of the people obeying the new limits, the other 50% not, on an already annoying stretch of freeway where people don't know how passing lanes work. And at NO POINT on either the trip up or the trip back later that evening did I see a single DPS cruiser on enforcement duty. They could have had a loving field day.

Single most stressful 5 hours on that interstate ever. EVER. Sorry, mom and dad, we're celebrating thanksgiving on Friday's now. Forever.

They started doing that stupid poo poo a couple of holiday's ago, and I have no idea what the gently caress anyone was thinking this would improve.

Thank god I don't have to drive it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

We're the government. We are here to help.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Locator posted:

They started doing that stupid poo poo a couple of holiday's ago, and I have no idea what the gently caress anyone was thinking this would improve.

In theory, lower speed limits can help increase the overall flow of congested highways. It's counterintuitive, but it works provided the highway is sufficiently congested and everyone actually obeys the speed limits.

In practice, it's a complete poo poo show.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Locator posted:

This is what happens when you let engineers have a say in policy decisions.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nah, this is what happens when speed limits aren't enforced because people whine endlessly about traffic tickets.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is what happens when you let engineers have a say in policy decisions.

I thought that was the Great Depression.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The Aristocrats!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

PT6A posted:

In theory, lower speed limits can help increase the overall flow of congested highways. It's counterintuitive, but it works provided the highway is sufficiently congested and everyone actually obeys the speed limits.

In practice, it's a complete poo poo show.

In theory, communism works.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lower speed limit only works if every vehicle accelerates/decelerates at the exact same rate. The accordion effect as the front car starts moving and the line stretches out means you might as well drive as fast as is safe to try and compensate.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Bill is gone so I’m the new Pittsburgh guy I guess. On 376 this lovely Frankenstein body part Maxima or something merged without yielding(Like the signs on many Pittsburgh onramps say to) after a couple “don’t do it mother fucker”s from me. Many times I’ll even move over for people if there’s room, I guess this idiot thought I would move out of the way and cut off the guy next to me so he can merge at 20 mph, barely accelerating. gently caress

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Makes me wonder if some unmarked guys were chilling out at Sunset Point with some binoculars so they could cackle and fist bump at the chaos.

Whereas they could have had 1 marked car doing laps around the zone to coerce some consistent behavior out of people.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ProjektorBoy posted:

Makes me wonder if some unmarked guys were chilling out at Sunset Point with some binoculars so they could cackle and fist bump at the chaos.
Holy poo poo I forgot to mention that. The mass of cars getting to the top of the hill at Sunset was surreal. It was like the opening of the Indy 500 but all the drivers were varying degrees of autistic.

ProjektorBoy posted:

Whereas they could have had 1 marked car doing laps around the zone to coerce some consistent behavior out of people.
This is what kills me. This is all it would have taken to calm that poo poo down. 1 loving cruiser doing laps between Anthem and Sunset.

Nah, some signs and the honor system totally works, right?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
SAFETY CORRIDOR

aka

LETS-US-PULL-OVER-BROWN-PEOPLE-ANY-TIME CORRIDOR

aka

gently caress-U--SUPREME-COURT CORRIDOR

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Arizona law enforcement doesn't need a lower speed limit for holidays to reinforce its text book racism.

:confused:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh no, I'm talking about the "zero tolerance safety corridor" that went in this spring. They were explicit in news reports about how, if ANYTHING is amiss while driving in that zone (i60 in Mesa to the 17 on the 10), from 2mph over the limit to slight swerving, they can buttfuck you hard.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Oh no, I'm talking about the "zero tolerance safety corridor" that went in this spring. They were explicit in news reports about how, if ANYTHING is amiss while driving in that zone (i60 in Mesa to the 17 on the 10), from 2mph over the limit to slight swerving, they can buttfuck you hard.

And yet traffic and how people drive on that stretch, which I drive both ways every day, is completely unchanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Can confirm. If it was a real initiative, there'd be change. Ergo, why enact it?

I mean, it could not be for racist purposes. However, if a known drug dealer says he's suddenly going to go door to door to hock magazines to help children with cancer, are you going to believe him? Especially when he doesn't manage to sell any magazines?