Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My friends and I were out drinking tonight, and hit on what I think was an interesting topic: what games do you end up replaying at least once a year?

I always seem to attempt Final Fantasy Tactics every year. I’ve never beaten it but I’ve probably sunk hundreds of hours into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

My friends and I were out drinking tonight, and hit on what I think was an interesting topic: what games do you end up replaying at least once a year?

I always seem to attempt Final Fantasy Tactics every year. I’ve never beaten it but I’ve probably sunk hundreds of hours into it

I don't think there's any game I replay quite that often, but Luigi's Mansion and Wario Land 4 are probably the two I've played the most in my life.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Zero Mission and Quake 1

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I probably play a Souls game of some kind 2 to 3 times a year still

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Vagrant Story. Lately, Stardew Valley, which is coming close to being my game of all time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I don't do it anymore, but I used to play Final Fantasy IX pretty much every year. Now it's every couple of years or so, but it's definitely the game I come back to the most.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust posted:

star fox 64

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

suikoden 2, the pinnacle of jrpgs

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What's tri ace up to these days anyways

Ninja edit: oh right I already forgot about that new terrible Star Ocean game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

In Training posted:

presumably, the sequel to hit jrpg star ocean 5 integrity and faithfulness: star ocean 6 gentrification & loghorrea

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Crash 1. It still looks good, nice ambient soundtrack, takes about like 3 hours or so to finish. It's very zen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

How the gently caress dare you

FF7 is good. but the first part in Midgar is GREAT. i wish the rest of the game was as good as the first 5 hours. :(

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Mafia 3 had a scene that Wolfeinstein TNC threatened to outdo but never actually did, so it's still worth playing

I beat that game, what scene was that exactly? I can't remember exactly but I do remember more than one point specifically where I was going to absolutely kill every last motherfucking Klansmen I could find in that game

edit: I sit down and play through Hitman: Blood Money at least once a year, and I learn something new about that game every time I play. I still think there's parts of it that Hitman 2016 doesn't come close to touching.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 25, 2017

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

precision posted:

FF7 is good. but the first part in Midgar is GREAT. i wish the rest of the game was as good as the first 5 hours. :(

The fact that Fort Condor is one of the first things you can encounter post Midgar probably doesn't help. Like oh hey a new area on this side, and it's even got a mini-game! And it...okay what is this poo poo?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Taintrunner posted:

I beat that game, what scene was that exactly? I can't remember exactly but I do remember more than one point specifically where I was going to absolutely kill every last motherfucking Klansmen I could find in that game

Yeah, in Wolfenstein you only ever encounter a handful of Klansmen at a time, Mafia III just lets you completely obliterate an entire Klan rally with heavy munitions

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Sudden chip and dale rescue rangers reference outta nowhere in Etrian Odyssey Untold.

I certainly wasn't expecting a character to just drop the opening line to the show's opening song.

Etrian 5 has a quest NPC casually mention that he "uses antlers in all of my decorating."

Ciaphas posted:

Is the game actually fun at some point, I played for like2hours and the combat seemed really repetitive

I beat the game back at launch and despite all the progression systems the combat never really felt any different than it did in the first hour. It kind of plays like a shallower, flashier version of Kingdom Hearts. The summons are pretty funny: if certain environmental conditions are met and you get very lucky you can trigger a cutscene where a giant kills everything. I saw this happen a single time unscripted throughout the course of the entire game. I did a bunch of optional dungeons that were all pretty blah. Apparently there's 1 awesome super dungeon but I never happened upon it, so maybe you should use a guide if you wanna do side content.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

To add to this, they got bought by a mobile developer and made a budget rear end Star Ocean game to try to prove "hey we're not going to be stuck on bad mobile games" (they're totally going to be stuck making bad mobile games) and then also made the blandest ripoff of Valkyrie Profile they could have, whose name I can't even remember. Both games go regularly new for like $5 or less.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

To add to this, they got bought by a mobile developer and made a budget rear end Star Ocean game to try to prove "hey we're not going to be stuck on bad mobile games" (they're totally going to be stuck making bad mobile games) and then also made the blandest ripoff of Valkyrie Profile they could have, whose name I can't even remember. Both games go regularly new for like $5 or less.

Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky. I imported it at JP launch because I'm a moron

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hey, you didn't know you'd be spoiled for choice of games ripping off Valkyrie Profile in some way.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jay Rust posted:

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade

I'm not even normally a fan of RTS games and I've never played and have no real interest in playing the miniature game it's based off of, but for some reason playing it is just a chill thing for me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is star ocean 5 the one with the weird catgirl witch scientist in the stupid outfit

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
no that was star ocean 4, star ocean 5 is the one with the chick who dresses up like a slutty deck of cards

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

no that was star ocean 4, star ocean 5 is the one with the chick who dresses up like a slutty deck of cards

I thought he may have been thinking of bath curtain witch from 2, but

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Moon Monster posted:

I beat the game back at launch and despite all the progression systems the combat never really felt any different than it did in the first hour. It kind of plays like a shallower, flashier version of Kingdom Hearts. The summons are pretty funny: if certain environmental conditions are met and you get very lucky you can trigger a cutscene where a giant kills everything. I saw this happen a single time unscripted throughout the course of the entire game. I did a bunch of optional dungeons that were all pretty blah. Apparently there's 1 awesome super dungeon but I never happened upon it, so maybe you should use a guide if you wanna do side content.

Hm, sounds like a big ol' meh to me. Maybe I'll wait until XBC2 next week to get my RPG on

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Jay Rust posted:

Super Mario Brothers 3. My favorite game ever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not every year but I've probably played and finished Super Metroid more than any other game. Most old games I'll start and play for a bit and go 'yeah I remember when this was good' then never touch it again but I can play through SM every time.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I'm pretty sure I've played Kirby Super Star Ultra every year since it first came out, and maybe Excite Truck too. In general though, I hardly ever replay games.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Chrono Trigger is my once per year game.

Honorable mentions go to FF6 (10?? playthroughs across multiple versions) and STALKER: SoC (5-6 including various megamods).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
BF2 is the game that keeps on giving to those that didn't buy it but enjoy laughing at it
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/11/24/16696870/star-wars-battlefront-2-economy-cheats

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

BF2 is the game that keeps on giving to those that didn't buy it but enjoy laughing at it
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/11/24/16696870/star-wars-battlefront-2-economy-cheats

No one could have predicted that people would afk grind credits in a game where your credit gain is based entirely off how long the match lasts and not your performance / battlescore*.

No one!

*The top player gets like 30 more credits than everyone else, 20 for 2nd best, etc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

looking forward to playing adventures of lezard 2: lezard harder after i beat ffx

In Training posted:

they're uh, releasing star ocean 4 on pc in three days i guess

i'm not sure why the game they chose to debut the series on pc is the one that's viewed the same way zestiria is viewed in the tales fandom, ie liked by like five people

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No one could have predicted that people would afk grind credits in a game where your credit gain is based entirely off how long the match lasts and not your performance / battlescore*.

No one!

*The top player gets like 30 more credits than everyone else, 20 for 2nd best, etc

I always thought rewarding the winner with more currency in competitive games would would just give the better players more tools to gently caress up the weaker ones, but it turns out if you level the rewards everyone just goes afk.

I think MMOs have learned this lesson several times over.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/dril/status/934236035030110208

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I always thought rewarding the winner with more currency in competitive games would would just give the better players more tools to gently caress up the weaker ones, but it turns out if you level the rewards everyone just goes afk.

I think MMOs have learned this lesson several times over.

It turns out MMOs are bad.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I tried looking up the star ocean 4 character and it turned out I was thinking of a star ocean 5 character named Fiore so now I'm wondering why "catgirl scientist witch" is apparently a term that can apply to a main character in both star ocean 5, 4, and 2.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
because all of star ocean is basically the same except star ocean 4 has more spaceships

apparently sexy half-naked witch is also kind of jarring because as opposed to her design having anything to do with her personality, she's just kind of a normal scientist lady. just, half-naked

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

quote:

Fiore is one of the world’s leading signeturgists who belongs to the superior-in-magic Langdauq Kingdom’s Signeturgy Research Institute. She wears a revealing outfit, but it’s probably because she wants to show off the advanced magic symbol carved into her leg.

:thunk:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
star ocean 1 is a game where you spend an hour on a backwater fantasy planet inhabited by catpeople, and then a star trek crew beams down and drags you into space politics world to try to rescue your friend who gets petrification disease, but it turns out that space medicine can't cure petrification disease so you fly to a time portal on medieval planet and the captain says "ok we have to discard all phaser guns and modern technology before stepping into the time portal or it will be really super bad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Do all of the star ocean games take place in the same universe or is it like final fantasy

• Locked thread