Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

boop the snoot posted:

I got high as gently caress my first hour on terminal leave.

You waited?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Getting high ad gently caress rn

Edit: Thank you for your service if you arent

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I forgot I had actually highlighted the relevant passage from Command and Control on my Goodreads account, here it is in all its glory

quote:

At Homestead Air Force Base in Florida, thirty-five members of an Army unit were arrested for using and selling marijuana and LSD. The unit controlled the Nike Hercules antiaircraft missiles on the base, along with their nuclear warheads. The drug use at Homestead was suspected after a fully armed Russian MiG-17 fighter plane, flown by a Cuban defector, landed there unchallenged, while Air Force One was parked on a nearby runway

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I had so much leave on the books that I sold back everything I could and still took thirty days terminal.

It's me, I'm the idiot for not taking more days off.

Yeah, I sold back 60, took a couple of weeks (couldn't actually take terminal for stupid reasons) and still lost almost a month.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I made out like a bandit. Surgery that went into one month of con leave, two weeks of mission-dependent shift work (averaged out to about 4-6 hour shifts, 4 days a week), two weeks set aside for clearing, then 65 days of terminal leave. I had to do a few last bits of clearing (CIF :argh:) while on terminal leave, but I was okay with that.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Memento posted:

I forgot I had actually highlighted the relevant passage from Command and Control on my Goodreads account, here it is in all its glory

loving lmbo, that's army as gently caress

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Godholio posted:

An alternative nobody bothers with is to sell back up to 60 days and get paid on the way out.

Not the best option unless you have tons of leave cuz you are leaving your bah/bas/cola on the table and only get paid out base rate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It depends if you have something to do during terminal or not. If you're not starting a new job, or burning that last PCS, loving skate at work for a few weeks and get few extra thousand dollars on your way out the door. You can easily figure out how much you'd make selling it back, so decide if it's worth it. I'm not advocating either way (the smartest thing is to start school/a job while on terminal), but it's an option a lot of people don't even know about.

Of course, the skate plan requires a reasonable NCOIC/flight commander, so if your chain is dicks from top to bottom just burn the leave. But yeah I was around 100 days at that point. Had already burned quite a bit in the months leading up to separating.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I think I had nearly 60 days of terminal leave so I filled out a leave form of staying local in my house during which time I changed my phone number and traveled overseas because fuuuuuuck the army needing to know what I'm doing.

I don't think technically it was the best thing to do in my situation but I got my orders to get the gently caress out and there wasn't really much option at that point

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Username: PRESIDENTDONALDTRUMP
Password: BILLIONAIRE

Security Question: I own a resort and a yacht.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Godholio posted:

It depends if you have something to do during terminal or not. If you're not starting a new job, or burning that last PCS, loving skate at work for a few weeks and get few extra thousand dollars on your way out the door. You can easily figure out how much you'd make selling it back, so decide if it's worth it. I'm not advocating either way (the smartest thing is to start school/a job while on terminal), but it's an option a lot of people don't even know about.

Of course, the skate plan requires a reasonable NCOIC/flight commander, so if your chain is dicks from top to bottom just burn the leave. But yeah I was around 100 days at that point. Had already burned quite a bit in the months leading up to separating.

After I PCSed to my last base, our NCO in the shop was on his way out. He had a bunch of leave to use, which he did but while on it he also came to work because he was one of those people that don't think the world can function if they aren't there.

I had a shitload of leave saved up because I only took a couple weeks off in 3 years because I didn't give a poo poo about flying back to the states to visit anyone, so I used it for terminal and got some last minute surgery done at a normal hospital.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:psyboom:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Now imagine Khrushchev isn't in New York but instead hasn't been seen in public for the last two days to sleep off his last vodka bender.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
"gently caress THE MOON" - that computer

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dick Burglar posted:

"gently caress THE MOON" - that computer

"gently caress THE MOON" - also a bunch of guys on the earth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_A119

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Username: PRESIDENTDONALDTRUMP
Password: BILLIONAIRE

Security Question: I own a resort and a yacht.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7dCTwlAI8Y

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tias posted:

"gently caress THE MOON" - also a bunch of guys on the earth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_A119

Neil Armstrong: a government-approved substitute for nuclear weaponry.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tias posted:

Thank you, I have a new most Cold War logic thing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tias posted:

The '50s were a hell of a decade for crazy "peaceful" nuclear weapons ideas.

Edit: LOL

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/934256995569422336

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 25, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

PLOWSHARE is my favorite

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah plowshare owns. lets create man made bays by carving them out of our coastline via nukes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The next step is to intentionally instigate nuclear winter to fight global warming. Because why not? Why the gently caress not?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The next step is to intentionally instigate nuclear winter to fight global warming. Because why not? Why the gently caress not?

God dammit, if Trump inadvertently solves global warming this way we'll never hear the loving end of it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Wingnut Ninja posted:

God dammit, if Trump inadvertently solves global warming this way we'll never hear the loving end of it.

I mean, I don't know that much of current humanity would survive this solution, but maybe the living won't envy the dead as much? :shrug:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The odds are we wouldn't hear the beginning of it either.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't know if people today really take nuclear holocaust as seriously as they used to. This was considered a perfectly valid children's book in the '80s

quote:

Nuclear conflict

The threat of imminent nuclear annihilation plays a role in the development of the plot. One reason why Adam must babysit his sister so often is that his parents are always off to attend meetings sponsored by the nuclear freeze movement. Jesse, Tracey, and Adam use their familiarity with Dungeons & Dragons to create a role-playing game set in the immediate aftermath of a nuclear war. By the end of the book, they host an event at which attendees roll the dice to determine whether they are immediately incinerated or condemned to die slowly of radiation sickness. The children equate those in power with Dungeons & Dragons players, as each are entrusting lives to the roll of the dice. Throughout the book, the characters wonder if they are doomed to perish in a nuclear conflict and whether they will become adults at all.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ban me, I’m not military:

Be more afraid of biological warfare than of radiation sickness. Breakout time for a nuclear weapon is such that the amount of time needed to get the fissile material, enrich it, have a rocket program, have a guidance system that won’t be garfunckled by spooky computer wizards and be able to deploy makes it, in my uninformed opinion, easy to track. Japan is still habitable. If you’re not fried in the blast, we now have crisper gene editing to fixed whatever chromosomes get knocked out of place by gamma radiation.

Again, in the 70’s you could buy kid radioactive material in kits. Some nuclear sights spray paint contaminated debris: if it actually was as scary as people made it out to be more people would be dead. 3 mile island didn’t make giant rats live in New York sewers, tribnoble(sp?) didn’t make large swaths of Russian uninhabitable.

Again, MAD military doctrine, correct me if I’m wrong, ended with Star Wars cause you could reliably shoot down ICBMs. THE END OF HISTORY! Now all that’s left is asymmetric warfare, homegrown lone wolf attacks, and proxy wars fought mostly between people living in abject poverty.

Be more afraid of track and field chalk mailed to the whitehouse, reefer madness, overreactions, and paranoid group think.

E: and car crashes, high cholesterol, and lovely luck. My names John Kerry and I’m the most boring person on earth

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 25, 2017

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know if people today really take nuclear holocaust as seriously as they used to. This was considered a perfectly valid children's book in the '80s

When I was a kid there was this supposed children's book about the Falklands War in the school library. It was all brightly illustrated and crazy and Thatcher was like a giant iron robot. Then half way through the book it just starts listing all the horrible ways soldiers died with these full page black & white drawing for each one. Like, "some were shot, some were drowned, some were burned alive :stare: Then i think it had a bunch of stuff about all the maimed soldiers going home and noone caring. It was grim as gently caress and I guess it made an impact cos I've never forgotten that poo poo and I must've been about 7. No way would that poo poo be in a kid's book these days

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

killmeimmafailure posted:

Ban me, I’m not military:

Be more afraid of biological warfare than of radiation sickness. Breakout time for a nuclear weapon is such that the amount of time needed to get the fissile material, enrich it, have a rocket program, have a guidance system that won’t be garfunckled by spooky computer wizards and be able to deploy makes it, in my uninformed opinion, easy to track. Japan is still habitable. If you’re not fried in the blast, we now have crisper gene editing to fixed whatever chromosomes get knocked out of place by gamma radiation.

Again, in the 70’s you could buy kid radioactive material in kits. Some nuclear sights spray paint contaminated debris: if it actually was as scary as people made it out to be more people would be dead. 3 mile island didn’t make giant rats live in New York sewers, tribnoble(sp?) didn’t make large swaths of Russian uninhabitable.

Again, MAD military doctrine, correct me if I’m wrong, ended with Star Wars cause you could reliably shoot down ICBMs. THE END OF HISTORY! Now all that’s left is asymmetric warfare, homegrown lone wolf attacks, and proxy wars fought mostly between people living in abject poverty.

Be more afraid of track and field chalk mailed to the whitehouse, reefer madness, overreactions, and paranoid group think.

Definitely take advice about how scared you should be about different ABC scenarios from someone who can't even bother to find out how to spell Chernobyl. :rolleyes:

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

When I was a kid there was this supposed children's book about the Falklands War in the school library. It was all brightly illustrated and crazy and Thatcher was like a giant iron robot. Then half way through the book it just starts listing all the horrible ways soldiers died with these full page black & white drawing for each one. Like, "some were shot, some were drowned, some were burned alive :stare: Then i think it had a bunch of stuff about all the maimed soldiers going home and noone caring. It was grim as gently caress and I guess it made an impact cos I've never forgotten that poo poo and I must've been about 7. No way would that poo poo be in a kid's book these days

:stare:

What was this book's name?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

killmeimmafailure posted:

correct me if I’m wrong

almost every declarative statement in this post is wrong but I can't be arsed to type every single one into google and link the first result for each

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Definitely take advice about how scared you should be about different ABC scenarios from someone who can't even bother to find out how to spell Chernobyl. :rolleyes:

What was this book's name?

I have no idea I've never even seen it since then. I'm probably remembering it all hosed up too.

e] Let's talk about Idiots : Tribnoble was not that bad guys

e] more like tribnobigdeal

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 25, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I have no idea I've never even seen it since then. I'm probably remembering it all hosed up too.

Actually you were right on the money!

Edit: The author also wrote When the Wind Blows, which resulted in a harrowing film of the same name, both about the world undergoing nuclear holocaust, so topical!

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 25, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i visited tribnoble and all i got was this brian tumbor

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There was a sequel to 101 Dalmations where all the dogs of the world decide if they should leave the planet because humans are dumb and will probably destroy themselves with nuclear weapons.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Username/post combo of the month

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Edit: The author also wrote When the Wind Blows, which resulted in a harrowing film of the same name, both about the world undergoing nuclear holocaust, so topical!

I've read when the wind blows it's pretty harsh stuff
Framing it around a kindly old couple was genius

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

i visited tribnoble and all i got was this brian tumbor

Heh

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Holy poo poo yea that's the one. Those pictures still give me goosebumbs, fuckin hell :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dat iron rear end doe.