Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hayama got a flashback and won

Yeah but he got a second flashback and lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I keep wondering how this manga is doing in the polls and I dread the thought of a really forced outcome for this arc, with some hogwash about Rindou and Eishi being so spent that they can't continue fighting or something dumb like that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eishi probably loses but weakens Tsukasa through the power of cooking and Erina handles Rindou

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

oh jay posted:

Central would shut down his tiny mom & pop in a heartbeat.

He's part of Central, so no they won't be shutting down HIS mom & pop. He's either naive and doesn't think that'll happen to people in similar situations, or he just doesn't care because he's got his.

In the meantime Central has a stated goal of annihilating the industry that humiliated and sickened his mother.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
At this point the dumbest thing would be Eizan being in the Elite 10 after this arc after doing the job to Soma and Soma's obviously inferior rival.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
momo is going to lose next round to either erina or souma, depending on which of them participates.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

I keep wondering how this manga is doing in the polls and I dread the thought of a really forced outcome for this arc, with some hogwash about Rindou and Eishi being so spent that they can't continue fighting or something dumb like that.

I think it's been 9th overall for the year out of like 13-14 regular series so less than stellar, this site tracks them weekly: https://weeklyjump.livejournal.com so you can get a picture of where it stacks (colour page weeks are a freebie)

On a related note, Reddit had this chart of weekly rankings for the series https://i.redd.it/al5cxilxgrvx.jpg

It's interesting to try to guess what happened when and its really noticeable how far the perceived quality declined

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

momo is going to lose next round to either erina or souma, depending on which of them participates.

It'll be Erina because I'm going to loving drop this manga if Souma gets another round until the finals

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

Eishi probably loses but weakens Tsukasa through the power of cooking and Erina handles Rindou
Uh, Eishi is Tsukasa's given name, my good dude. :xd:

TheKingofSprings posted:

On a related note, Reddit had this chart of weekly rankings for the series https://i.redd.it/al5cxilxgrvx.jpg
:stare: That's a loving brutal drop during Hayama's return/match. Also, I can't believe that all in all, Azami was introduced 2 years ago (according to wikipedia, the manga turns 5 this Sunday)

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
hahaha the ketchup swing on that chart

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress was ketchup again.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also, whatever ketchup is, are we sure Hayama wasn't involved in the arc somehow. Even indirectly?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

What the gently caress was ketchup again.

Looks like someone needs to watch the anime :v:

It was Souma's sauce for his fried chicken vs. Eizan

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 24, 2017

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Ketchup is when Soma fought Eizan.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

samurai dude is a literal murderer

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

Looks like someone needs to watch the anime :v:

It was Souma's sauce for his fried chicken vs. Eizan

Mraagvpeine posted:

Ketchup is when Soma fought Eizan.

Oh . I completely forgot about that.

I think I've forgotten most of the dishes in Shokugeki past the Autumn Tournament.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

paragon1 posted:

He's part of Central, so no they won't be shutting down HIS mom & pop. He's either naive and doesn't think that'll happen to people in similar situations, or he just doesn't care because he's got his.

In the meantime Central has a stated goal of annihilating the industry that humiliated and sickened his mother.

There's a weird belief in Japan that women can't be "real" sushi chefs because the temperature of their hands is normally slightly different then men or because their PMS makes their sense of taste unbalanced or something.

Even for this series the whole "you can't make X correctly because your age/race/gender" thing is inconsistent at best and contradicts itself more often then not within the story to suit the need of the author at the time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can be any chef you want to be as a woman as long as you're sexy

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

You can be any chef you want to be as a woman as long as you're sexy

There are maybe one or two male chefs in this entire series that don't fit this too

Like there's Chapelle, Isami half the year, and, uh, Mimasaka?

E: Marui too I guess

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 25, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

pentyne posted:

Even for this series the whole "you can't make X correctly because your age/race/gender" thing is inconsistent at best and contradicts itself more often then not within the story to suit the need of the author at the time.

Actually, I think this manga takes a pretty clear stance against this idea. Those who exclude people are portrayed as wrong and/or villainous.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

TheKingofSprings posted:

There are maybe one or two male chefs in this entire series that don't fit this too

Like there's Chapelle, Isami half the year, and, uh, Mimasaka?

E: Marui too I guess

And I bet there are people who'd disagree with you on all three of those too. :v:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Eizan has some good faces but I don't think he's meant to be attractive

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Centzon Totochtin posted:

He has a winning smile!

poo poo! Wrong WSJ manga/anime.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Centzon Totochtin posted:

he has a face that only a mother could lo

nope nope nevermind

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

oh jay posted:

Central would shut down his tiny mom & pop in a heartbeat.

if they didn't get in line and cook in central's style sure, but the whole spiel central launches with is that they're bringing the ability to turn out totsuki level cooking to the reach of everyone. dude's mom didn't care about cooking her own unique style, she just wanted to learn better techniques.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think it's also pretty clear that Central is not so dedicated to it's ideaology that they won't make exceptions for the sake of bringing in heavy hitters to their side. I'm pretty sure Rindou would bite someone if they dictated how her cooking was supposed to be, and there's been the example of Hayama's weird mom/girlfriend's studies being held hostage

"I will decide who is a gourmet!" in other words

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Basically, Central wants to standardize every dish that restaurants serve with only their "correct" way of doing things and those at the top decide what is correct. Since Rindo would be at the top, she would tell others how to do things.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So food communism :ussr:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Basically, Central wants to standardize every dish that restaurants serve with only their "correct" way of doing things and those at the top decide what is correct. Since Rindo would be at the top, she would tell others how to do things.

That or rather then the tradition of 90% of the class washing out by year 3 the outliers/"true" chefs are basically the only important people and everyone else is taught to mindlessly rote memorize how to prepare the dishes made by the masterchefs and not learn to think for themselves.

Ironically, basically the way the culinary industry actually works only in reality the stagiaire is a lovely, unpaid work program that world class restaurants use for tons of free labor and if you speak out against it you get black balled from the industry.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

pentyne posted:

That or rather then the tradition of 90% of the class washing out by year 3 the outliers/"true" chefs are basically the only important people and everyone else is taught to mindlessly rote memorize how to prepare the dishes made by the masterchefs and not learn to think for themselves.

Ironically, basically the way the culinary industry actually works only in reality the stagiaire is a lovely, unpaid work program that world class restaurants use for tons of free labor and if you speak out against it you get black balled from the industry.

So you're telling me that in real life Azami already won and went on to destroy the stagiaire too?

That really changes the context for the comments about Azami being completely unrealistic :(

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Wark Say was asking about it so here's how Shokugeki ranked this year among Jump's ranked comics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AshitanoGin/status/933640261246377984

Also, Shokugeki turned 5 today, happy birthday SnS

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm glad Kimetsu no Yaiba is doing well, hope it can get a nice popularity surge as it goes on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm glad Kimetsu no Yaiba is doing well, hope it can get a nice popularity surge as it goes on.

Same with Stone and Neverland.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Same for Black Clover, really happy about it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Keep on keeping on, We Never Learn.

I do wish I could read more Shudan and Spring Weapon, I really liked the Jump Starts for both.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Oh Snapple! posted:

I love your avatar :allears:
Also yaiba. It's great.
And black clover

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wark Say was asking about it so here's how Shokugeki ranked this year among Jump's ranked comics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AshitanoGin/status/933640261246377984

Also, Shokugeki turned 5 today, happy birthday SnS
Like, I know it's on its last arc, but I'm concerned they're not gonna allow Gorilla Sorachi to finish Gintama as he intends to. :ohdear:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Like, I know it's on its last arc, but I'm concerned they're not gonna allow Gorilla Sorachi to finish Gintama as he intends to. :ohdear:

Gintama still sells a lot and is quite popular outside SJ so I wouldn't worry about that

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Wark Say posted:

Gintama has been around long enough, and does enough in volume sales to let Sorachi finish it how he wants.

It's extremely rare that something that runs as long as Gintama has doesn't get to finish how the author wants it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I get the concern but if you told me they were <10 chapters away from the end at this point, I'd believe you and wouldn't think it rushed at all. Contrast with Bleach where we knew exactly how many chapters were remaining, and I could still scarcely believe it.