Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Princeps32 posted:

nah they’re following the comic too closely now, the trash people will get wiped out by the saviors for going along with ricks dumb plans that never work
I'm still thinking the trash people will become the Whisperers. They talk like savages and the leader could be Alpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Agreed, that feels like that would be the right hypothesis

God I can't wait for Rick to be tricked by these dirty trash farmers again

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it says a lot about this show that the Garbage Pail Kids were the most interesting thing in season 7

well, i guess Oceanside was pretty awesome too, in their first episode anyway

e: and Ezekiel obv

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
I thought I heard Negan or Simon say that they had a "sky something or other" that they sent out.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Clamknuckle posted:

I thought I heard Negan or Simon say that they had a "sky something or other" that they sent out.

Yeah, I remember a reference to a bird or something in his plan for dealing with the rebels after its over.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

Agreed, that feels like that would be the right hypothesis

God I can't wait for Rick to be tricked by these dirty trash farmers again

There may be a lot wrong with Negan but I think I have to make their official name the "Filthy Trash People."

A broken clock is dead on twice a day.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Tortuga posted:

I wonder what stupid word the trash people call the helicopter.

whirlylift

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Oh god did anyone else know that Scott Gimple was one of the main writers for Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance?

jfc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

whirlycopter is an actual thing Southern people call them so i'm going with that

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Acacia REI posted:

Oh god did anyone else know that Scott Gimple was one of the main writers for Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance?

jfc

Well, #1 was nothing to write home about in the first place, but that just really compounds /adds credence to 'Gimple is terrible and makes bad decisions'

I watched it on a flight from Tokyo to Seoul. And goddamn it, I fired up the last 20 minutes on Seoul to DC, because by then, I had invested too much time into it and still wanted to see how badly it ended.

I guess that's like everyone still hanging on watching WD.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 24, 2017

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The second Ghost Rider was so much better than the first cause at least it had him just fuckin some people up

Is our next ep of this wonderful show gonna be dumpster diving for back stories?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i thought this was a good episode overall except for the daryl rick scene which was heinous.

O-Unit
Oct 22, 2005

Are the trash people in the comics? Or have they been invented whole-cloth for the tv show?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Acacia REI posted:

jfc

The Walking Dead feature film will be directed by Skip Woods and written by Scott Gimple, I'm sure. It'd be a match made in satan's rear end in a top hat.

Hollywood, where failing upward is a thing.

ollie74656 posted:

Are the trash people in the comics? Or have they been invented whole-cloth for the tv show?

Pure AMC goodness

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I am worried about Dwight getting caught and horribly tortured, that character has really grown on me. If it comes down to it Eugene will roll over on him, unless it is part of Eugenes redemption arc. This is pretty much all the suspense I have now.

I thought Rick was going to get on the back of Daryl's bike, hold him tight, and maybe give him a kiss on the cheek to make up.

THAT would have redeemed the last 4 lovely episodes but nope.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
im caught up now

the first few episodes were confusing and bad, and Morales was a complete waste of time. the last two episodes were pretty good honestly, i like that they’re giving negan more to do than just chomp scenery and not get shot. still think that origin story episode will be neat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ollie74656 posted:

The comics are stupid but they're not trash people stupid.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i hope eugene's redemption arc is him getting killed

i mean he's funny and all but i feel like he's run his course. so has Pope Gabriel. so has Michonne. let's cull the crap out of this cast. even Daryl is getting boring. give me a spinoff where Carol, Ezekiel and Maggie go on adventures together.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

precision posted:

i mean he's funny and all but i feel like he's run his course. so has Pope Gabriel. so has Michonne. let's cull the crap out of this cast. even Daryl is getting boring. give me a spinoff where Carol, Ezekiel and Maggie go on adventures together.

Also Jerry, Simon, and the exhausted schoolteacher Saviour.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Carol is the poo poo.
Daryl wouldn't be boring if they just fleshed him out a little, god.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

precision posted:

whirlycopter is an actual thing Southern people call them so i'm going with that

Where the hell is that?

Whirley Bird, however...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spinster posted:

Carol is the poo poo.
Daryl wouldn't be boring if they just fleshed him out a little, god.

Daryl is basically an asexual cipher for fangirls to squee over. He is the modern version of a 60s tv trope: the Barnabas/Spock/Illya Kuryakin of the series--the breakout sex symbol the writers never saw coming. As such they have to cater to the fans by giving him Crowning Moments of Awesome while he broods but never changes, never gets the girl (or guy), and never dies.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I think they're playing with the idea of making Daryl into a villain.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Senor Tron posted:

I think they're playing with the idea of making Daryl into a villain.

Given he was inspired by comic book Dwight, I am 99% sure after this last episode's tussle he had with Rick that they'll push him in the exact same direction as Dwight went in the comics while likely killing off show Dwight. They strike me as too lazy to do much else with him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Astroman posted:

Daryl is basically an asexual cipher for fangirls to squee over.

I think it's lame as gently caress that they didn't go with the angle that he's a self-loathing homosexual, something that was heavily hinted at a bunch of times in the early seasons and then dropped a like a hot rock.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm wondering if Gabriel isn't bitten but sick from the zombie camo in an attempt for the writers to nerf how OP that is as a plot device. Especially doesn't make sense if they're doing the Whisperers.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Gabriel probably just came down with a case of "dear loving good please write me off of this abortion of a show."

Gives ya the shakes

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'm a little surprised anyone even cares about the helicopter, I mean the payoff is not going to be anything interesting or good.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

Daryl is basically an asexual cipher for fangirls to squee over. He is the modern version of a 60s tv trope: the Barnabas/Spock/Illya Kuryakin of the series--the breakout sex symbol the writers never saw coming.

I'm the last person to demand more romantic plots in my shows as they usually suck but I have to admit it's pretty obvious when Daryl hasn't even dated anybody even once since the beginning of the apocalypse.

There were some hints he and Carol were a thing but at this point I half think she's more a mother figure.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

I think it's lame as gently caress that they didn't go with the angle that he's a self-loathing homosexual, something that was heavily hinted at a bunch of times in the early seasons and then dropped a like a hot rock.

I'd forgotten that. Merle ragged on him about it. Too bad they weren't brave enough to do it, I agree.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Spinster posted:

I'd forgotten that. Merle ragged on him about it. Too bad they weren't brave enough to do it, I agree.

I don't remember this. What was it about?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Aaron's lover is gone and Darryl has already gotten a taste of that spaghetti

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't remember this. What was it about?

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/the-walking-dead/news/a822950/walking-dead-daryl-dixon-was-meant-to-be-gay-originally/

quote:

Reedus said he discussed the idea of Daryl being gay early on with then-executive producer Frank Darabont, who exited the show after season one.

“I (was) like ‘Hell yeah, let’s do it,'” Reedus recalled saying to Darabont when asked if he’d be open to the possibility.

As far as the show itself hinting at it (I didn't make this list):

- Daryl was abused as a child, like many LGBT children are when their parents sense that there is something different about them.
- He has intimate relationships with women that never become sexual (Carol, Beth).
- He is one of the only characters that's been around for multiple seasons without showing any kind of romantic interest in anyone.
- Merle constantly called him feminine names to demean him. Calling him by women's names or accusing him of wearing panties, etc.
- He is very secretive about his past, and he has some serious rage issues, like a gay man who grew up in the Deep South might.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wow. But instead of going with that they decided his character development should be losing his action figure accessories.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/the-walking-dead/news/a822950/walking-dead-daryl-dixon-was-meant-to-be-gay-originally/

As far as the show itself hinting at it (I didn't make this list):

- Daryl was abused as a child, like many LGBT children are when their parents sense that there is something different about them.
- He has intimate relationships with women that never become sexual (Carol, Beth).
- He is one of the only characters that's been around for multiple seasons without showing any kind of romantic interest in anyone.
- Merle constantly called him feminine names to demean him. Calling him by women's names or accusing him of wearing panties, etc.
- He is very secretive about his past, and he has some serious rage issues, like a gay man who grew up in the Deep South might.

My memory is Merle was really implying it when Daryl was trying to climb that hillside after getting shot with an arrow ( I think) It was a hallucinatory type scene.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Episode ended with rick looking for predator should be good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Good news, friend. It’s Walking Dead time!

Recap shows it’s basically going to be all the bad storylines at once.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
We're doing this, we're winning.

Except for the part where you lost a third of your fighting force

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I can’t tell where hey had time to write each other letters. Also garbage lady naked with an apron because why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Oh a thrilling garbage people episode.