Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Shoenin posted:

Deuce(what kind of girl literally calls herself poo poo?) Legend Materia Hat

They're (almost) all named after cards in Type-0, going up the numbers (Ace, Deuce, Trey, etc) and then through the face cards.

They must have been really lucky to get a whole class filled with people named in the pattern to make the whole set with no duplicates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
You have to get the bonus ending before they show you where the hell 10 and Joker were the whole time.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

YoshiOfYellow posted:

So basically experiment with 'em a bit and see what sticks. Steiner BSB isn't very fancy or anything especially in the realm of USBs and the ability buffs right around the corner, but I was thinking/hoping maybe the extra hits against weakness may make it a bit more competitive. Especially because it's good 'ol Rusty and I'm glad to have something neat for him. His LD looks really solid as well.

Yeah, I feel the same way about a bunch of people I have. Their stuff just doesn't quite cut it when 5* abilities and better BSBs are around.

I love Terra but her BSB1 is garbage for instance and that's all I have for her :(

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

So basically experiment with 'em a bit and see what sticks. Steiner BSB isn't very fancy or anything especially in the realm of USBs and the ability buffs right around the corner, but I was thinking/hoping maybe the extra hits against weakness may make it a bit more competitive. Especially because it's good 'ol Rusty and I'm glad to have something neat for him. His LD looks really solid as well.

You can use the damage calculator (https://www.ffrktoolkit.com/damage_calculator.html) or just do the math. In this case you'd need to be doing at least 9999 * ( 4 / 320 ) * ( 260 / 5 ) = 6499 damage per hit with the cmd1 to make it better than Blazing Twinstrike.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Well isn't this just the coolest thing in the world!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Getting some more advance details on the new Record Dungeons, with pictures!

quote:

Record Dungeon is chapter based, and you will venture through them on an airship.

Inside a single chapter (island) are dungeons from various series, each representing a significant scene from the original work.
Similar to current contents, chapters of Record Dungeon will be introduced periodically.

Selecting a chapter will bring you to the dungeon selection page.
There are 2 types of dungeons that you can attempt: Destroyed Paintings & Memory Paintings.

Destroyed Paintings:

- These are the main dungeons, where only heroes featured in the particular scene can be used in battle
- In other words you have to attempt them with a preset team with fixed equipment and abilities
- No stamina is required when attempting Destroyed Paintings
- While the level of the characters are also fixed, only Tyro and Elarra will level up from the battle experience here.

Memory Paintings:

- Hidden dungeons with no relation to the main route
- You can attempt with the character & equipments that you have gathered till now
- Stamina will be consumed in this dungeon

Battles in Destroyed Paintings are also a remake of the original. Key to winning these battles lie in the player's skill, since the teams given to you are already made.
As usual, difficulty will gradually rise as you go through the dungeons. And there are some hidden ones with serious difficulty.

There are also dungeons with multiple fights and your HP and ability uses will carry forward, so some strategizing is needed before you reach the boss.

In image:
- Boss is [Destroyed] Guard Scorpion
- Only uses physical attacks
- After taking 3 turns with it's tail lowered, it will raise it's tail
- After taking a turn with it's tail raised, it will lower it's tail
- While the tail is raised, Guard Scorpion will 100% counter with Tail Laser
- Battle Tip: Use Power Break to lower the enemy's ATK

Theater

The fully remade pixelated scenes will be called "Theaters".
It is a brand new way for you to experience the story of the original series!

This image shows the conversation backlog, with a message speed and automatic text scrolling option.

Dungeon Exploration

Inside the dungeons are various icons.
You can explore through them by tapping these icons.
As you get more freedom in exploration, it gets more complicated as well.
Similar to FF, you can even traverse dungeons to discover treasure chests and hidden routes!

Crystal Water

Crystal Water is a new source of power for our heroes.
This is very similar to the Record Dive system.
There are various types of Crystal Waters that represents a certain stat.
Using them will raise your character's stats.
While the amount you get is limited at the start, you can earn more as you proceed through the Record Dungeons!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i pulled twice on ffx and i got paines bsb and 5* sword and i got tidus chain and i really want to pull one more time for another tidus thing but i am up to like six dupes on the banner now. hilariously before i pulled on this banner the first time one of my only two ffx items was the rikku dagger that i managed to pull as a dupe along with getting two yuna ssbs. even though i only have tidus chain between that and the paine bsb and rikku dagger i actually feel like my physical water is pretty decent. is that all right shape to be in for water or would another pull be reasonable?

my black friday pull was the kaine lmr that increases his jump damage when he has a spear equipped (i recently got his 6* spear so that seems pretty all right to me), deuce bsb i think. deuces robes of deucing or whatever. and papalymo enochian firaja which seems like an extremely bad rear end fire rod.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I couldn't sleep so I tried a thing.

Three elements down. Even with Fenrir's blink, my physical loadout is so much better than my magical options that this worked much better, with the added bonus of Shout, as the second hastega, taking away any slows Savage Withering Winds landed (this was relevant).

He even dropped Enkidu.

Prism fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 25, 2017

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is there a good guide to Chains out there somewhere? I have chains on people with no other SBs, not sure how to effectively use them

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

triplexpac posted:

Is there a good guide to Chains out there somewhere? I have chains on people with no other SBs, not sure how to effectively use them

Rule #1: Never try to use 2 Chainz. One per party.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

triplexpac posted:

Go all in with it. You should be able to give at least 2 other party members abilities that capitalize on the chain.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I've been trying to sub 30 Fenrir today but I don't think it's going to happen. I'm getting 32ish and while it's painfully close this is as far as I go for now.

Rinoa BSB2
Terra USB
Squall "USB"
Ysh BSB
Ramza USB

A rare triple DPS setup because entrusting the ice dps does nothing. If only I could Record Dive Rinoa and Squall but unfortunately 4* wisdom motes were removed from the game last major update two months ago.

If I had any +fire gear at all I could just have Terror grill the doge solo but she needs too much support right now. She is still by far the strongest DPS by just casting capped Tritoches and Chain Blizzagas with 2x cast speed. The USB around 15 seconds adds even more speed.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i feel you bro

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

RagnarokAngel posted:

Go all in with it. You should be able to give at least 2 other party members abilities that capitalize on the chain.

Well here's an example of my A Team:

LD Lightning w/ USB, OSB and BSB2
LD Cid R w/ BSB
OK for hastega boost, breaks
Tyro for wall, breaks
Healer

I have a lightning chain, would putting that in instead of someone else improve my DPS?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

triplexpac posted:

Well here's an example of my A Team:

LD Lightning w/ USB, OSB and BSB2
LD Cid R w/ BSB
OK for hastega boost, breaks
Tyro for wall, breaks
Healer

I have a lightning chain, would putting that in instead of someone else improve my DPS?

In this instance, Tyro could be replaced by OHOHOHOHO and you use RW Wall. Give her Memento Mori and Sudden Thunder, have fun.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I can almost sub 30 shadow Dragon with just feeding firion sb charge for his USB and osb

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Hogama posted:

Getting some more advance details on the new Record Dungeons, with pictures!

Thanks for this, that actually looks pretty cool!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Are the new record dungeons a way to reset progress by introducing a new game mode that'll eventually supercede previous content?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

It would be pretty funny if this game just completely reinvents itself as a mobile dungeon crawler.

That looks a lot more interesting than farming magicite, at least.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Jesus. I kept going and found a winning comp. And won the slow lottery.

Serah is also 3* dive. Has to bsb immediately because I have no more decent ice magic.

7/8. Hydra left.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Ashe's BSB is really, really good. She routinely does more damage per hit than any of my other mages except maybe Kuja (who needs Doom to hit that hard and doesn't self heal) and as was mentioned, the armor gives +lightning, which is real nice. The only drawback of the burst is that her cmd1 is lightning only and doesn't have a non-elemental chaser. If you legend dive her, she can easily do 9999x8 to Bismark with her cmd1. Not as flashy as Lightning's USB, but still very powerful.

Neat. I had just assumed it was dated but I guess its still a good get.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kawalimus posted:

Neat. I had just assumed it was dated but I guess its still a good get.

It is a little dated - it's not going to compare in damage to a good USB (like the one she gets in the next FFXII event) with a honed-up Chain Thundaga, once we get the ability buffs that make the latter 4-hits.

That doesn't mean it's bad at all; enelement is always good, the self-healing CMD1 helps keep strain off your healer, and the burst entry is better damage than most enelement SBs since they didn't lower its potency to accommodate for recasting. It's also on +Lightning light armor, which is a drat nice statstick to have even if you didn't want to use Ashe.

Ashe's burst is great regardless, but when it came out it was poo poo-your-pants good. So it has aged, just not as much as you feared.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there any solid rule of thumb for when +element is preferable to raw stat points on a weapon?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Is there any solid rule of thumb for when +element is preferable to raw stat points on a weapon?

I think someone mentioned it was equivalent to ~40 points of attack / magic?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bruceski posted:

I don't know if there's any good technical rule, but generally:
1. If you think you're going to be hitting the relevant stat softcap (805 for attack, or 1056 for magic), always always go for +element
2. I think +element will pretty much always beat something like a relatively small boost. For example, if your non-synergy +element armor gives +17 mag, and your synergy armor alternative gives +34 magic, go with the +element. So usually +element armors win out, since the offensive stat buffs aren't so large on them. On the other hand, if you've got a synergy 6* item vs. a non-synergy 5* item with +element, you might be looking at a difference of 100 mag, so assuming you won't violate (1), go with the raw stats.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

With the ability revamp/dungeon update/mote dungeon news clogging up all discussion, everyone's forgetting the best potential change:

When the hell are we getting the revamped Dr. Mog Boss Stats page?

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Dollar pulled a dupe squall USB haha.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ceaselessfuture posted:

With the ability revamp/dungeon update/mote dungeon news clogging up all discussion, everyone's forgetting the best potential change:

When the hell are we getting the revamped Dr. Mog Boss Stats page?

I want to say that first rolled out with the next FFXIV event? So two or three months out, still.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Dollar pulled my 3rd Raijin's Pauldron.

I mean sure okay I won't complain about an 8* +Lightning light armor.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

For non-piercing attacks, each boost is worth about +11-12% more ATK or MAG below the cap and +44% more above it.

For ninja magic, each boost is worth about +25% more MAG below the cap, and +107% more above it.

(if my math is correct)

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

KataraniSword posted:

I want to say that first rolled out with the next FFXIV event? So two or three months out, still.

drat, I was really excited for this to come sooner!

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Even with just his ssb, noctis is really amazing to have on my team. My gabranth is just murdering everything, though his bsb and usb don't mesh that well with it. I feel like he'd be good on a chain team?

Is Minfilia good? All I have is her BSB.

Are there any cool RM's coming out, or have recently?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Minfilia is a really solid Support Knight. Her BSB is probably the weakest of her tools compared to her huge... buffs, but it's still a solid workhorse burst that gives you a hybrid of a bit of damage and some breakdown action.

As for cool RMs... Noctis' Level 99 RM is cool for stuff you auto through since it turns Attack into an instant high damage ability with no SB gain. That's the most unique one off the top of my head.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Scott's RM3 is [Reraise and DEF +20%] which can be useful in some weird setups.

Montblanc's RM2 is [Start with Haste and MAG +10%], which I believe is the first Haste RM that increases MAG compared to all the ATK ones we have

Rem's RM3 is [WHT damage +30%], which might actually be relevant if they keep giving white mages more offensive options. Using the existing weakness or holy damage RMs will be fine, unless they introduce Aero and make it White Magic.

No other big standouts. I think Kelger gets a clone of Noctis's RM3 for Auto-battling, Marcus gets a dupe of Zack's Haste and ATK/DEF +10%, Cinque is obviously getting the Heavy damage up RM, and Marche gets another Sentinel RM like Curilla, not that you'll even be using them at the same time. The Cores do get some occasionally useful Attack replacing RMs like Magus's AoE Fire/Ice/Lightning damage, Ninja's (slightly weaker) Fire Veil and Spellblade's half-strength Quake Strike.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

God drat this Barbarricia A+ fight sucks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah it sucks because it's random when she goes into tornado form, but here's a pro tip: she always goes into tornado form two turns after using Ray, so you can prepare for it.

(yes it's entirely possible she'll never enter tornado form, making you lose a medal condition)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I just can't even figure out a party composition to deal with all this bullshit. If I go frontrow everyone is constantly getting brought to 1% hp, if I go backrow with dragoons they all get stopped even with moderate resistance accessories, I need to bring breaks and mitigation and maybe affliction break but also a way to deal with her haste? It's just a ton of unfun mechanics jammed together.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't bother with removing her haste. She has 625 speed so haste reduces her turn timer by a whole 0.16 seconds.

Going full backrow is the better choice. Definitely bring Affliction Break (it reduces the chance of petrify too), and maybe even Mind Breakdown to lower the duration of stops that do connect.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
I beat bismark! It took me like 8 tries instead of a few weeks with hydra.

Noctis - SSB - lightning dive (didn't use), lifesiphon - ace striker
Ashe - BSB - witch lightning 4* - chain lightning - (legend dive'd) - 30% lightning rm
Deuce - BSB - curada/protectga (legend dive'd) - mako might
OK - BSB - curaja/shell - other mako might
Shantatto - CSB - witch lightning 5* - thunaja - battleforged

water resist and random ele resist gear

I got up to like x1.55 on my chain, ashe was almost maxing out her command 1 damage. Noctis made such a giant difference in how my team did before I stuck him in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't bother with removing her haste. She has 625 speed so haste reduces her turn timer by a whole 0.16 seconds.

Going full backrow is the better choice. Definitely bring Affliction Break (it reduces the chance of petrify too), and maybe even Mind Breakdown to lower the duration of stops that do connect.

If you do dispel it, she'll eventually waste a turn casting haste :burger:

• Locked thread