Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
So here's an interesting tidbit.

The Relic Sicaran is 155 pts and while for normal marines the twin acclerator autocannon isn't visible, it does show up as free for chaos. Meaning a twin las sponson Sicaran is a full 85 pts cheaper :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

xtothez posted:

I'm actually considering using a Scythed Hierodule again. Honestly the main thing separating them from Knights was the lack of invuln, but we have a few extra ways to mitigate that now.

I've also been checking changes for other armies and have been finding it kinda hilarious that everyone else's massive units are getting points hikes up waaaay more than Tyranids for once. Most titans are up by at least 30%, Thunderhawks and Tau'nar armour doubled in cost, and all those FW greater daemon characters got sizeable increases. Pretty sure GW don't want folks bringing all this poo poo to competitive games.

Eh, its still kinda lukewarm garbage instead of hot steaming garbage.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Conscripts are the same cost as infantry? What?

edit: Sokar pattern stormbirds went from 651 to 2000, what in the actual gently caress

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 25, 2017

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

edit: Sokar pattern stormbirds went from 651 to 2000, what in the actual gently caress

I think that's and titan points and similar super superheavies were mostly them admitting those are impossible to balance and dumb to use in anything other than open/narrative games.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

I guess they really don't want people taking conscripts at all, ever. Maybe they're going to remove/change one of those errata to nerf them- the Commissar thing was obviously overkill.

Fake edit: I am so loving stoked about getting a Sicaran for 205 points. That has got to be a typo or something though.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Doesn't look like Dimachaerons were changed at all, aww

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Sicaran venator went down 75 going by that. 2 lascannon sponsons for it will run 230 points, that's pretty incredible.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Sicaran venator went down 75 going by that. 2 lascannon sponsons for it will run 230 points, that's pretty incredible.

My immediate thought was that this was completely broken but on second thought the normal Sicaran actually seems fairly reasonable even compared to a normal Predator.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

My immediate thought was that this was completely broken but on second thought the normal Sicaran actually seems fairly reasonable even compared to a normal Predator.

Compared to a normal predator it's like 3 more wounds and some more speed plus PotMS. The S12 on its gun literally doesn't matter unless you're shooting at a taurox or a titan, otherwise it performs the same as a lascannon. So 230 gets you 5 lascannon shots + an HB, on a predator 180 gets you 2 lascannon shots and 2d3 predator autocannon shots. It's really good but predators have advantages like killshot.

Edit: Forgot its cannon is AP-4, which makes a bit of a difference over AP-3 but not a huge one.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 25, 2017

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Kind of bummed that Ork warbikes didn't get a price drop. I was hoping they would since Space Marine and Chaos Marine bikes dropped in points.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Compared to a normal predator it's like 3 more wounds and some more speed plus PotMS. The S12 on its gun literally doesn't matter unless you're shooting at a taurox or a titan, otherwise it performs the same as a lascannon. So 230 gets you 5 lascannon shots + an HB, on a predator 180 gets you 2 lascannon shots and 2d3 predator autocannon shots. It's really good but predators have advantages like killshot.

Edit: Forgot its cannon is AP-4, which makes a bit of a difference over AP-3 but not a huge one.

Huh, the standard version doesn't have POTMS, although the main gun is assault which is really good in other ways. Yeah, the pricing seems really reasonable tbh.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

Huh, the standard version doesn't have POTMS, although the main gun is assault which is really good in other ways. Yeah, the pricing seems really reasonable tbh.

The Venator does have potms equivalent, which makes it absurdly good. 14" move and not losing accuracy means you can hide it out of los so you don't lose it if you go second with no penalty.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
The Mantic Black Friday sale was pretty disappointing and I didn't see anything cool from any other third-party manufacturer :(

Anyway Horus Heresy question: are they intending to add more races to it, like some of the Xenos factions from 40k, only in their 30k forms? Or is it just gonna be loyalist and heretic forever

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
None of the xenos played any major role in the Hersey, so no.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

That kind of sucks, I mean you're basically limited to just Eldar and Orks but it'd be cool to see immediate post-collapse Eldar and Orks would basically just be like they always were

I can see why they wouldn't want to add either though

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I know I'm late but Sicaran Venators aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Well SoB Exorcists got a price cut of 35 points, that's nice. I still hope they get a stratagem or buff cause I'm still kinda iffy on them.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

goose willis posted:

Anyway Horus Heresy question: are they intending to add more races to it, like some of the Xenos factions from 40k, only in their 30k forms? Or is it just gonna be loyalist and heretic forever

The Heresy is set in the time when Humanity effectively controlled most of the galaxy, and had very few serious external threats left. There were tons of xenos in existence prior to Big Emps leaving Earth and laying the smack down on them, but not a lot left around, once he did.

The 40k xenos were all elsewhere, or so beat down, and out of the way, that they didn't matter during that era. The Nids hadn't arrived yet (they were summoned to the galaxy during the Heresy, actually), Necron were still asleep, and the Tau weren't even to a caveman level of technology yet. The Orks were around, but getting their collective asses handed to them, one final time, at Ullanor, was really what marked the beginning of the 30k era (Horus was named Warmaster here). Eldar were also around, but had just been dunked on with the birth of Slannesh, the complete destruction of their empire, and the near complete extinction of their race.

If they ever do a full out Crusade era (pre-Heresy) book, there would be some xenos. Orks would be guaranteed, and Eldar would be likely, as would the inclysion of a bunch of other non-40k xeno races, but the odds of that happening in the next few years is astronomically low. There's still a lot of the Heresy left to cover, and most of us Heresy players are more focused on getting toys for our legions, rather than backtracking to shoehorn more stuff into the game for folks that are looking for inclusive 40k in a different setting.

Believe it or not, there's a lot of variety in 30k, even without xenos. Most of the legions are pretty drat distinct, even if they share 90% of their units.

Broken Record Talk fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 25, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
are these points values going to be officially released in a free capacity or are you gonna need to buy the chapter approved to get them?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The point system itself is a paid product, I think only PL is available for free

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
so primaris and deathguard have had their points updated 4 times, other armies with codexes released are at 3 times, within 6 months. and each time youre expected to fork out cash to get them?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

are these points values going to be officially released in a free capacity or are you gonna need to buy the chapter approved to get them?

Those screenshots are good enough. Battlescribe too.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
That and the list building app is due fairly soon.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

so primaris and deathguard have had their points updated 4 times, other armies with codexes released are at 3 times, within 6 months. and each time youre expected to fork out cash to get them?

No, you are free to play another game if 40k is too much to handle. :)

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
gw has effectively introduced microtransactions to tabletop gaming then? amazing

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Saw an unopened Calth on eBay for ~100, pounced on it

This is gonna be sick

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm impressed at how quickly you managed to build and burn that strawman. I don't know anybody besides SM and DG who had to get Dark Imperium to get their points costs, and honestly I don't know anybody who didn't already want the figures in those boxes that bought them. Indices were literally like two weeks later.

Index -> Codex is the only major change released so far. Chapter Approved will make link number three, roughly six months after the initial release of the edition. If you told me "hey, you have to spend $25 every six months to keep 8th edition balanced for its lifetime" I'd mash that button in a loving heartbeat.

There's a lot of bitching and groaning every time GW does something that costs money (horror of horrors), but what I think is getting lost is that this is still a million times better than 7th was, and GW is actually applying lessons learned, which as far as I'm aware has never happened in the span of one edition.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
no strawman because i wasnt arguing with anyone mate. more of a rhetorical thought

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Index -> Codex is the only major change released so far. Chapter Approved will make link number three, roughly six months after the initial release of the edition. If you told me "hey, you have to spend $25 every six months to keep 8th edition balanced for its lifetime" I'd mash that button in a loving heartbeat.

And other than this initial quick changing, it'll be $25 yearly. Chapter approved each winter and one or two FAQ's to keep things balanced all year. Hell, even if it didn't balance things and just threw things out of whack in a different way every few years it would at least provoke different metas.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
In all fairness I think we can all be confident that once everybody has a codex we'll be seeing pretty frequent campaign books with new rules and the like on top of stuff like Chapter Approved. Really I don't see how there's a good way to keep any game fresh without some method of "patching" from time to time. Yes, it would be nice if all the new rules were free but this is clearly a non-trivial amount of effort they're putting into stuff so I don't think it's unreasonable to charge for the updates. I get why that could feel lovely but with their business model I truly don't know that there's another way to go about it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I think I can live with £15 a year for probably the most balanced 40k's ever been. Also if they throw in more wacky Citadel Journal type stuff like Build-a-Land Raider I'll be happy, something like bringing back the Build-a-Chapter/Warband/Whatever rules from 4th would be neat.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think paying for points costs is pretty lovely, but paying for cool alternate rules like vehicle construction, campaign tiering, custom chapters, and game-wide rebalances is a-okay. Compared to how egregious a lot of pen and paper games get with endless sourcebooks and multitudes of core books, having the 40k Rules, Your Dude Rules, and Semiannual Packet Of Cool poo poo isn't too bad.

Point cost rebalances should go in the list builder, though. Always. And I wouldn't mind being able to throw down for an All Your Dudes rule packet for the app, that autoupdates with rules for units not currently in codex like the rumored Primaris jetbikes. It doesn't have to be an entire codex, but a digital data sheet list sounds really handy to have on hand and would free people's wallets up to pay for campaign rules instead.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

They were very specific that points costs for matched play would be free online at 8th ed's release. Quite what's happened to that is up for debate.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Corrode posted:

They were very specific that points costs for matched play would be free online at 8th ed's release. Quite what's happened to that is up for debate.

Were they? I don't remember it, and I think I would've remembered something that big.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Oh, that's disappointing.

They didn't fix the characters blocking for characters targeting shenanigans.

Instead they fixed the loophole of deliberately blocking your own line of sight to snipe characters from across the table.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Strobe posted:

Taunar is 1500 base loving :lol: way to kill that list really, really dead.

A shame we didn't get any other Tau leaks.

Pretty lovely that the crisis suits didn't get a price cut either. At least commanders didn't get a price hike...

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Oh thank god it's not the lion.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Hamshot posted:

Were they? I don't remember it, and I think I would've remembered something that big.

I remember it being in the Warhammer Community stuff in the run up. I'll try and find it in a bit.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Flavivirus posted:

Pretty lovely that the crisis suits didn't get a price cut either. At least commanders didn't get a price hike...

My Tau are on hold till there is a codex. Still quite fancy a Taunar though.

Just saw Soulburner bombards are 60points each. gently caress. Glad I magnetized my Decimator now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Birmingham Shadespire Tournament is now live in case people are interested.

https://www.facebook.com/events/163577974239884/

64 spaces available for Midlands players. I've kept the run time reasonable in case people want to bring children or have to travel.