Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

jre posted:

So you are basically still proving my point that

I get that this is the ranting about working in IT thread, but all the people going
:smuggo: "no fuckin macs on my network"
are missing the point that IT is a cost sink that directly contributes 0 to the bottom line of most companies. The value you add is through enabling others and through increased productivity. Good IT departments work with people to get them the tooling they need. poo poo one's are obstructive and take the easiest path for themselves all the time. Don't be one of the poo poo ones.

in conclusion: gently caress printers

I bolded the important word. The Macs in my environment are what they want, not what they need. I have a lot of poo poo to do in the run of a day. Babysitting the two Macs shouldn't be one of them. When one of the Macs shits the bed in new and inventive ways I then have to sit down and relearn how to use a Mac because I don't use them regularly. I have to remember or figure out a whole new set of troubleshooting.

IT isn't a cost sink it should be augmenting the business. Like others have said above if a Windows computer can do it, why even bother considering buying a Mac for that one person? What is the point of spending more money on a white computer if you're just going to slap a VM on it for someone to do their job? If there is a real, valid need for a Mac to complete $task buy one. Support it. Otherwise go with a Windows computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I know I spend an inordinate amount of time on Mac users because of muh emails don’t work muh calendar don’t work why can’t I log into the domain.

They really are more time consuming to deal with unless your system is tailored just for them.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
My experience has been that apple phones are pretty good for issuing to employees, as they're going to be quite uniform compared to the android options.

If the management tools for these phones works best on an apple computer, and there's a guy who does that as his primary job, I'd consider that a decent reason to have an apple.

That said, if the tools work just fine on Windows, then it's not a great excuse.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So, a massive pre Thanksgiving shitfest came in. Switch from site a configured for site b, brought online, and...if you've done networking, you know where this goes. VTP left on defaults, entire huge site goes down as we scramble and troubleshoot etc.

Real issue? Management response: "no deployment during business hours". :downsrim:, not even acknowledging it can be prevented if people had even base CCNA knowledge.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This all started with vmotion going "hey I can't copy this over there, it already exists". From his story, sounds like he went and checked out the file then just deleted it assuming it was a left-over artifact from the first move.

Context: We had to move all of our backups over to a different MSA as an in-between point in moving them to a new drive shelf. The I/O we were getting on the same MSA was unreasonably bad and it was faster to move them to the spare, then back. He was in the process of moving them back.

What happened to no-change-Fridays?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
(Sorry, can't find a more suitable thread, but you're a helpful bunch)

Am going on a trip and expect to take a lot of photos (assume 5-10GB every couple of days).
As well as backing up to a second medium, if possible, I'd like to back up the cloud, but my Win10 tablet has a small drive on it - smaller than the SD cards I will be using.

Assuming that the hotels have a decent enough internet connection, which of the cloud services have a decent web interface that will allow me to drag from an SD card to a browser and start an upload without having a local copy on my tablet drive, and will gracefully handle it if I have to stop the transfer halfway through and let me do start it again the next day without making multiple copies, or insisting that I start from the beginning all over again?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

spog posted:

Am going on a trip and expect to take a lot of photos (assume 5-10GB every couple of days).
As well as backing up to a second medium, if possible, I'd like to back up the cloud, but my Win10 tablet has a small drive on it - smaller than the SD cards I will be using.

Assuming that the hotels have a decent enough internet connection, which of the cloud services have a decent web interface that will allow me to drag from an SD card to a browser and start an upload without having a local copy on my tablet drive, and will gracefully handle it if I have to stop the transfer halfway through and let me do start it again the next day without making multiple copies, or insisting that I start from the beginning all over again?

What ports/slots does your w10 tablet have? Most w10 tablets have a microsd slot and a usb port, so if you use microsd for your camera(if your camera has full size sd slots you can use a mechanical adapter) you can just use a conventional usb drive.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

What ports/slots does your w10 tablet have? Most w10 tablets have a microsd slot and a usb port, so if you use microsd for your camera(if your camera has full size sd slots you can use a mechanical adapter) you can just use a conventional usb drive.

I'm not worried about the physical connections, I'm concerned that the client software for Dropbox et al works on the basis of 'here's a copy on local storage, let's sync it to a server and vice-versa' - but I will be using a removable drive for the local side of things and I will be using it badly: cancelling a sync mid-way through, using multiple removeable drives (i.e. more than one SD card will need to be copied from) - I'm using two cameras with the same file format so potentially, two different files with the same filename will exist on different cards, with the exact same folder structure.

I suspect that this isn't going to work with the client software, so perhaps going through a web interface will work?

As I type this, I realise that what I really need is more of a robust ftp client, than syncing software

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

spog posted:

I'm a big fan of Google Photos, as long as the browser can see the filesystem you're fine. There's a program you can download to handle syncing though I haven't played with it much.

But really, my dude, why aren't you just using rsync?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So, a massive pre Thanksgiving shitfest came in. Switch from site a configured for site b, brought online, and...if you've done networking, you know where this goes. VTP left on defaults, entire huge site goes down as we scramble and troubleshoot etc.

Real issue? Management response: "no deployment during business hours". :downsrim:, not even acknowledging it can be prevented if people had even base CCNA knowledge.

The default should be VTP transparent, and it's dumb that Cisco sets it in potentially-LAN-breaking server mode. What knucklehead thought that'd be a good idea?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SamDabbers posted:

The default should be VTP transparent, and it's dumb that Cisco sets it in potentially-LAN-breaking server mode. What knucklehead thought that'd be a good idea?

Aruba ships switches without stp on by default.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sickening posted:

This is also super dumb. WTF switch vendors?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

spog posted:

I'm not worried about the physical connections, I'm concerned that the client software for Dropbox et al works on the basis of 'here's a copy on local storage, let's sync it to a server and vice-versa' - but I will be using a removable drive for the local side of things and I will be using it badly: cancelling a sync mid-way through, using multiple removeable drives (i.e. more than one SD card will need to be copied from) - I'm using two cameras with the same file format so potentially, two different files with the same filename will exist on different cards, with the exact same folder structure.

I suspect that this isn't going to work with the client software, so perhaps going through a web interface will work?

As I type this, I realise that what I really need is more of a robust ftp client, than syncing software

I can still remember that in my last Greece trip only two hotels had a resemblance of wifi access and in those two, enough bandwidth to upload 1g of photos? No effing way. Make yourself a hard copy on a usb drive and upload it back once you are home. Unless you need them posted yesterday, then you might try to buy a LTE hotspot on site once you land and use web upload.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Back it up onto two hard drives though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

I can still remember that in my last Greece trip only two hotels had a resemblance of wifi access and in those two, enough bandwidth to upload 1g of photos? No effing way. Make yourself a hard copy on a usb drive and upload it back once you are home.

I think in my heart of hearts, I know that although I am going to countries with good internet, the hotel connection is going to be dog slow and keep resetting. It is inevitable.

I'm being naive to think we've progressed much.

Thanks Ants posted:

Back it up onto two hard drives though.

Previously, I would never overwrite the original memory card and copy it to a portable HDD at the end of the day.

I'm still mulling over whether I should bring my 250GB spinning rust HDD, or just a handful more of microSD cards and copy onto them. It seems that flash memory is much the same price, regardless of format, so if I am going solid state, ones that fit in my wallet are the way to go.

spog fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 26, 2017

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

spog posted:

Previously, I would never overwrite the original memory card and copy it to a portable HDD at the end of the day.

I'm still mulling over whether I should bring my 250GB spinning rust HDD, or just a handful more of microSD cards and copy onto them. It seems that flash memory is much the same price, regardless of format, so if I am going solid state, ones that fit in my wallet are the way to go.

There are specialized rust drives like this https://www.wdc.com/products/portable-storage/my-passport-wireless-pro.html that will duplicate your photos effortlessly rather than manual copies like with a bunch of microsd

spog
Aug 7, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

There are specialized rust drives like this https://www.wdc.com/products/portable-storage/my-passport-wireless-pro.html that will duplicate your photos effortlessly rather than manual copies like with a bunch of microsd

It's an interesting idea, but I am gunshy about these type of devices since you can't verify the copies.

(I bought a MyPassport external HDD that had WD's special encryption software for 'total protection'. It had a known minor bug where occasionally it would be completely unable to decrypt the drive and the only solution was to wipe it. I lost quite a bit of trust that day)

I'll probably just use this as an excuse to buy a couple of TB and use it as a back-up drive when the trip is over. Thanks for the thoughts

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

spog posted:

can't verify the copies
This is the most important part of any backup, to the point that a backup isn't one, unless you can verify that files actually work (preferably independently, programmatically, and automatically).

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

D. Ebdrup posted:

This is the most important part of any backup, to the point that a backup isn't one, unless you can verify that files actually work (preferably independently, programmatically, and automatically).

Schrödinger’s backup?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

But the little blue light has stopped flashing.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

spog posted:

But the little blue light has stopped flashing.

No! The BLUE light is the 'rm -rf' warning light! The green light is the copy job complete light!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

I agree, but the most Sr engineer of 30 ish years in a 100% Cisco shop should know about this poo poo by now.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I agree, but the most Sr engineer of 30 ish years in a 100% Cisco shop should know about this poo poo by now.

I like when I was studying for my CCNA, the first thing the CBT nuggets video said about it was :siren: HOLY gently caress THIS WILL BREAK YOUR poo poo IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL :siren:

When the first thing you learn about a concept is that it'll gently caress your poo poo up before you learn what it actually is, it tends to leave an impression.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This reminded me of this thread:
https://twitter.com/nuintari/status/934933881974874112

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I just started studying for the CCENT and knew I covered VTP but couldn't remember it offhand. Looking it up brought me to this gem:

Wikipedia posted:

Downside

When a new switch is added to the network, by default it is configured with no VTP domain name or password, but in VTP server mode. If no VTP Domain Name has been configured, it assumes the one from the first VTP packet it receives. Since a new switch has a VTP configuration revision of 0, it will accept any revision number as newer and overwrite its VLAN information if the VTP passwords match. However, if you were to accidentally connect a switch to the network with the correct VTP domain name and password but a higher VTP revision number than what the network currently has (such as a switch that had been removed from the network for maintenance and returned with its VLAN information deleted) then the entire VTP Domain would adopt the VLAN configuration of the new switch which is likely to cause loss of VLAN information on all switches in the VTP Domain, leading to failures on the network. Since Cisco switches maintain VTP configuration information separately from the normal configuration, and since this particular issue occurs so frequently, it has become known colloquially as the "VTP Bomb".

I'll now forever be on the lookout for that. Thanks, thread.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

What happened to no-change-Fridays?

They died along with my Friday night.

Sickening posted:

I also still can't get over this. It actually blows my mind (and I even sell Aruba).

RE: VTP explosions. I have only seen this happen once in production and THANKFULLY it was in a capstone lab, not a multi-million dollar business. Lucky for me, I will never forget that and will likely never, personally, repeat that monster.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Oyster posted:

I just started studying for the CCENT and knew I covered VTP but couldn't remember it offhand. Looking it up brought me to this gem:

I'll now forever be on the lookout for that. Thanks, thread.

Oh yeah, and resetting the switch to factory settings doesn't actually clear the VTP revision number.

The CBT nuggets video put together a very real scenario of buying a switch off of e-bay, resetting it to factory, plugging it into your network just to test and dick around in, and woah my network is down and my VLANs are gone? And at this point, you probably forgot about the switch sitting under your desk, so if you don't suspect VTP it's going to keep loving with your network. Since the revision number is so high, every time you try and fix your VLANs, that test switch just rewrites everything and blanks it out again.

It put the fear of god into me and I haven't even encountered it yet.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
:v: Customer is saying any time they add an attachment to a client box X is checked, and they're not noticing it and it's messing things up. But I tried it in house and that box isn't checked!

:) There's a dozen ways to attach things. If you use method 1, box X will always be checked because it has to be to work right, but if you use methods 2-12 it shouldn't be. Can you check with the user how they are attaching?

:v: ok thanks!

2 days later:

:v: ok I emailed them and they said when they use method 3 or 4 then box Y is checked.

:) But I thought they were asking about box X? Did you ever actually get connected and watch what they were doing?

:v: also they said it's slow when they attach big files

:fuckoff:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Renegret posted:

Oh yeah, and resetting the switch to factory settings doesn't actually clear the VTP revision number.

This just boggles my mind. They know this is an issue that can and does destroy production environments, why not take the simple step of resetting the VTP revision to 0 when the factory reset button is pressed?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

PremiumSupport posted:

This just boggles my mind. They know this is an issue that can and does destroy production environments, why not take the simple step of resetting the VTP revision to 0 when the factory reset button is pressed?

Coding is hard OK?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I think the excuse is that a factory reset isn't a wipe of the entire IOS, it just clears the running config, and the VTP revision number isn't part of the running config.

To that I say, gently caress you that's a lovely excuse.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I don't use VTP or the open equivalent because I guarantee that I will do something stupid, or my DC hands will do something stupid and flatten e v e r y t h i n g.

I'm cool with just having vlan 100; state enable in my config management. The risk just isn't worth it

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I like VTP and it is definitely a nice thing to run, but by god do you want to make sure there is proper oversight to anything that can bring it to its knees like mentioned above.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Methanar posted:

I don't use VTP or the open equivalent because I guarantee that I will do something stupid, or my DC hands will do something stupid and flatten e v e r y t h i n g.

I'm cool with just having vlan 100; state enable in my config management. The risk just isn't worth it

Me either. Its too easy upload/update a config in one fel swoop.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

The Nards Pan posted:

How'd you finish them? Super hot oven? Blow torch? Fryer?

Under the broiler for around 2ish minutes. These particular ones should have been under for longer, or I should have pan-seared them.

I did put a kitchen torch on my Xmas wishlist - I want a Searzall but I don't want to invest in a $200ish total investment to just make burning stuff that much easier. It should take a long time, in order to savor it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have I missed something or does VTP only down a network that has VTP running but with the defaults set? Seems like it’s relatively simple to mitigate against - disable VTP or set it up. Still, I agree it’s a poo poo default.

STP disabled out of the box makes sense to me as well.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

Have I missed something or does VTP only down a network that has VTP running but with the defaults set? Seems like it’s relatively simple to mitigate against - disable VTP or set it up. Still, I agree it’s a poo poo default.

STP disabled out of the box makes sense to me as well.

The default is for the unconfigured switch to overwrite your configuration on all your other, non-default switches

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We don't have enough switches to really have VTP matter, we have like 20 switches at one site and 16 of them are in 2x8 stacks, so we really have 6 switches to manage, I will gladly just configure 6 switches with copy-paste rather than run the risk of client getting switch and plugging it into the network without consulting us first, someone forgetting some configuration or whatever else might come up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Coding is hard OK?

hard Coding is OK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

RFC2324 posted:

The default is for the unconfigured switch to overwrite your configuration on all your other, non-default switches

Oh lol well gently caress that poo poo and get it disabled. Is there even a concept of BPDU guard for for VTP?

• Locked thread