Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MST3k: The Return was renewed.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/24/mystery-science-theater-the-return-netflix/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

:woop: :woop:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Longmire is still good.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Snak posted:

Longmire is still good.

Basically liked everything but Cady's story this season.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's the final season, right? It's over?

I'm only on the second episode.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yup, this is the end.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Future Man was good like everyone said it was! I thought the episode at James Cameron's house had to be the peak but it kept getting better from there. I am really glad a new comedy I like came out because I haven't seen one that has caught my interest in ages. I wasn't completely sold after the first episode but as they developed the one-dimensional characters it became pretty cool.

Mr. Robot has been megagood this season. There's only really been one episode out of seven so far that was merely good and not killer. Even when the plot doesn't move that fast, it still feels well-paced because everything you watch feels important.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Future Man is so good. It's crazy that it just somehow kept getting better and evolving.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm pleasantly surprised by the fluent Cantonese requirement for casting in Wong Kar Wai's Tv show. And it's authentic that it's not Mandarin because most Chinese immigrants at that time were from Cantonese speaking regions. I was worried they would make all the actors speak in broken Azn Engrish for American audiences. Really glad shows like Narcos and The Americans and this show are heavily into subtitles.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 25, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If the character is a first-generation immigrant (and I don’t know if that’s the case), then they really shouldn’t be looking for fluent American English.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There may be a device where the characters switch to English just to be not so subtitle heavy.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My point is it seems like when they say fluent American English, they’re looking for a US accent, and that’s not how most first-gen immigrants spoke.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Godless is super good so far.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What kinda show is Future Man similar to?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

GobiasIndustries posted:

Sarah Connor Chronicles

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GobiasIndustries posted:

Nothing.... really. It's just hilarious

esperterra posted:

Godless is super good so far.

You had me at Michelle Dockery

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Iunno, Godless was a show that got less and less interesting the further into it I got (although the final episode had some great scenes). Its interesting conceits weren't expanded on, the plotlines we did get were mostly exactly what you expected, and the pacing felt less and less like it was deliberate and more like it was stalling.

Also the kid is just bad.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

GobiasIndustries posted:

The only show I can think of is Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rocksicles posted:

Nothing.... really. It's just hilarious

Popelmon posted:

The only show I can think of is Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

I have not seen that either :sigh: Guess I'll just dive in and see what happens

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm for episodes into She's Gotta Have It and I'm about half/half on whether this show is really good or really bad. :psyduck:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rocksicles posted:

Haven't watched it, but I have seen complaints that for a show that promoted itself a "women in the west", their story is the b or c plot of the show, and it's mainly about the men

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I have literally heard nobody say anything good about Future Man

It looks like it can have some decent production value when it wants to, I don't know if I'm sold on the "seth rogen Ready Player One"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You mean other than every other post about it in this thread which have been overwhelmingly positive?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

I have literally heard nobody say anything good about Future Man

Are you living in opposite-world or something?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

muscles like this! posted:

You mean other than every other post about it in this thread which have been overwhelmingly positive?

outside of the thread yeah

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah everyone that I've talked to that's watched it has loved it. I'm halfway through and only because I'm pacing myself.

This coming from someone who hates Seth Rogen.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

She's Gotta Have It episode 6 features an exploding butt. Literally. :wtc:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Future Man is really great. It is absurd. One of the most impressive things about it is that it doesn't just do the same formula. Every episode does something a little different. If you think it's going to be some kind of procedural, it's really not.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Godless is pretty cool but I’m like halfway through and have started to lose track of a couple of storylines. Needs more Scoot McNairy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think The Punisher surpasses the "thumbs through eye sockets" scene in Game of Thrones.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Godless is pretty cool but I’m like halfway through and have started to lose track of a couple of storylines. Needs more Scoot McNairy.

I got almost halfway through the fiest episode before I remembered that I should finish Longmire before starting a new Western.

My thoughts on Godless so far were
1) this is really good
2) this is nothing like the marketing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't know if anyone watched Glitch on Netflix, but season 2 comes out on the 28th.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
holy gently caress i've only watched the first ep of Future Man but it is :discourse: already

the loving super mario conversation in the game store, ell oh loving ell

e: the first ep at least is very much "what if video game high school but good"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

GreenNight posted:

I don't know if anyone watched Glitch on Netflix, but season 2 comes out on the 28th.

I feel like Glitch is a pretty solid show, but kind of overshadowed by The Leftovers. Kind of the exact opposite premise, but similar themes.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Honestly Glitch sounds like a bad version of Les Revenants/The Returned, not really anything like The Leftovers.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Haven't watched it, but I have seen complaints that for a show that promoted itself a "women in the west", their story is the b or c plot of the show, and it's mainly about the men

The "town of women" aspect is way less important than the preview implied, and the male mysterious stranger and the male sheriff are the main heroes.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just finished Godless and really liked it. It was a bit flabby in the middle and probably could've done with being more focused on La Belle and the characters there instead of jumping all over the place, but Jeff Daniels owned as psycho preacher man, the scenery and setting is gorgeous, and the final episode was really goddamn good.

E: and yeah, I hadn't even heard of the show until it popped up on the Netflix homepage, but I can imagine people might have been disappointed if the marketing focused on the whole 'town run by women' thing. As it turns out they're mostly useless and are happy to naively turn the town over to the comically (and blatantly) evil mining corporation, and the story really ends up mostly being about the men anyway.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 25, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GobiasIndustries posted:

There's a lot of Chuck in it, but without the having way overstayed its welcome.

Also like, Last Action Hero.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fun Future Man game, take a shot every time you hear JORGE SANTIAGO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

The "town of women" aspect is way less important than the preview implied, and the male mysterious stranger and the male sheriff are the main heroes.

Yeah, it seems good so far, but some of the more misleading marketing I've run into recently.

• Locked thread