Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Serotonin posted:

My Tau are on hold till there is a codex. Still quite fancy a Taunar though.

Just saw Soulburner bombards are 60points each. gently caress. Glad I magnetized my Decimator now

Soulburner Petards are horrific though. 4d3 mortal wound shots hitting on 3+ on a fast dreadnought is worth more than 150 points. Giving it a soulburner/claw/hellflamer makes it a fairly horrific assault unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Hmph, so that Sisters Of Battle Chapter Approved leak earlier was accurate. Martyrdom strategum looks good. At the end of the phase where a sororitus character dies spend a cp and on a roll of 2+ some other unit can use an act of faith. Would have been nice if the one dying could use it to get some more hits in but this way it's a lot more versatile.

Won't use the relic since I prefer massive chainsaws and I can't see myself using the anti-psyker strategum. Rather save the CP for rerolls or Martyrdom.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Yeah, my IG use a few things that went up in points cost, probably fair enough. Meltagun Scions, my one Manticore, a couple characters went up a bit. Autocannons down 3 pts, not a huge deal but nice.

Conscripts are laughable now, same price as infantry and worse in all ways. Only benefit is the ability to take big squads. Maybe the importance of chaff/screening units is so great they'll still be taken in Imperial 'soup' armies, but I don't know why an IG player would ever take them now.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Genghis Cohen posted:

Yeah, my IG use a few things that went up in points cost, probably fair enough. Meltagun Scions, my one Manticore, a couple characters went up a bit. Autocannons down 3 pts, not a huge deal but nice.

Conscripts are laughable now, same price as infantry and worse in all ways. Only benefit is the ability to take big squads. Maybe the importance of chaff/screening units is so great they'll still be taken in Imperial 'soup' armies, but I don't know why an IG player would ever take them now.

loving hell the IG changes are brutal. Meltaguns absolutely did not need to go up, nor did Conscripts which were already phasing out after the morale change. My IG was already having a tough time with Eldar/Tyranids, and now taking an identical list costs an extra 163pts. I'm glad I didn't buy the third Taurox Prime I was going to get, because I'd be immediately taking it back out of the list, and I'm still swapping the Conscripts for Infantry and dropping an Astropath as well. Someone at GW has massively overreacted to the Dakka whining.

lol loving Ratlings went up 2pts, of all things. Astropaths doubled in price. Even the Tempestus Command Rod went up 5pts.

e: Interesting change with Celestine - she's 200pts now but her Geminae are only 25pts each, so the overall cost is the same. Seems like they really want them to be taken together rather than Celestine showing up on her own.

The Ad Mech changes look mostly sensible - Cawl got cheaper rather than more expensive, and they've dropped costs on the Troops and HQs, probably after noticing that people were taking nothing but detachments of Onagers/Kastellans and Dragoons to screen for them.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 25, 2017

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Corrode posted:

loving hell the IG changes are brutal. Meltaguns absolutely did not need to go up, nor did Conscripts which were already phasing out after the morale change. My IG was already having a tough time with Eldar/Tyranids, and now taking an identical list costs an extra 163pts. I'm glad I didn't buy the third Taurox Prime I was going to get, because I'd be immediately taking it back out of the list, and I'm still swapping the Conscripts for Infantry and dropping an Astropath as well. Someone at GW has massively overreacted to the Dakka whining.

lol loving Ratlings went up 2pts, of all things. Astropaths doubled in price. Even the Tempestus Command Rod went up 5pts.

e: Interesting change with Celestine - she's 200pts now but her Geminae are only 25pts each, so the overall cost is the same. Seems like they really want them to be taken together rather than Celestine showing up on her own.

The Ad Mech changes look mostly sensible - Cawl got cheaper rather than more expensive, and they've dropped costs on the Troops and HQs, probably after noticing that people were taking nothing but detachments of Onagers/Kastellans and Dragoons to screen for them.

I agree it's a mix of sensible, slightly overdone and completely mystifying. I love that they're actually putting in a balancing system; I dislike the haphazard way they collect and publish all the information; I have no faith in their actual ability to make sound, comprehensive changes. It does seem like plenty of stuff slips under the radar. I'm sure for every unit that has gone down sensibly, another remains pretty loving good, leading to a slight pendulum effect. We'll see how they do over time.

Quite interested to play against AdMech again now! Their stuff that scared the pants off me stayed the same(?) and the mediocre stuff got much cheaper.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Genghis Cohen posted:

I agree it's a mix of sensible, slightly overdone and completely mystifying. I love that they're actually putting in a balancing system; I dislike the haphazard way they collect and publish all the information; I have no faith in their actual ability to make sound, comprehensive changes. It does seem like plenty of stuff slips under the radar. I'm sure for every unit that has gone down sensibly, another remains pretty loving good, leading to a slight pendulum effect. We'll see how they do over time.

Quite interested to play against AdMech again now! Their stuff that scared the pants off me stayed the same(?) and the mediocre stuff got much cheaper.

The Ad Mech stuff is a bit weird. Because the options are very limited and generally expensive, the points drops aren't really enough - you just end up with a weird number of points left where you can't quite fit in anything useful. If I did a ground-up rewrite of a list maybe I'd get more out of it (and taking the Knight out might make it more granular too).

I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt because at least they're trying, and I'm mostly salty because I was taking all the stuff people complain about and surprise surprise it's all gone up. There does seem to be a tendency to pendulum swing too far the other way (like Conscripts), and I agree the only word I can think of for upping the cost of meltaguns is "mystifying" unless there's a meta I'm not aware of where people were taking shitloads of meltaguns instead of plasmas.

Hamshot posted:

Were they? I don't remember it, and I think I would've remembered something that big.

I've gone and looked for it and now can't find it. It may just be that Warhammer Community isn't the easiest thing to search, or maybe I just imagined it in the first place.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Where are people seeing the full points changes? Only saw the list of Space Marine changes.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Bombogenesis posted:

Where are people seeing the full points changes? Only saw the list of Space Marine changes.

BoK has scans: http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2017/11/20/chapter-approved-leak-compilation/

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So trimmed and sub assembled my inceptors. Going to paint bases first, I’m looking at the flight stands, and they don’t look reliable. Any recommendations on what to do with them?

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

The storm shield price cut for Deathwatch :stare:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Wait, I thought they said Cawl went up in points? Those scans have him at 240. In the codex he's 250.

Also, yeah, the changes to AdMech are nice, but i'll have to build a list to see where they land. I was honestly not expecting them to drop the price of that many units.

Bombogenesis posted:

The storm shield price cut for Deathwatch :stare:

Holy poo poo, my Deathwatch Terminators are going to be they key part of my army.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Is the turn-based Wh40k: Armageddon game any good? It's on sale on steam.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

So trimmed and sub assembled my inceptors. Going to paint bases first, I’m looking at the flight stands, and they don’t look reliable. Any recommendations on what to do with them?

The flight stands are definitely a lot stronger than you'd think from looking at them. Due to the size it's still a pain to transport Inceptors but I wouldn't stress too much about the stands themselves.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Games workshop really needs a list builder that gets updated with the changes...

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

Wait, I thought they said Cawl went up in points? Those scans have him at 240. In the codex he's 250.

Also, yeah, the changes to AdMech are nice, but i'll have to build a list to see where they land. I was honestly not expecting them to drop the price of that many units.

Yeah, whoever reported that either got it wrong or is going to be having some hard words with their regular Ad Mech opponent soon.

The Ad Mech ones look broadly sensible, they're targeted at all the stuff which is a bit lacklustre right now. What Ad Mech need more than anything is to get more options in general, but who knows when that might happen.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Uroboros posted:

I never liked the stands, it made them look like they were hung from a coat rack. I cut the clear stands down and pinned them to their feet instead.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Yeah, whoever reported that either got it wrong or is going to be having some hard words with their regular Ad Mech opponent soon.

The Ad Mech ones look broadly sensible, they're targeted at all the stuff which is a bit lacklustre right now. What Ad Mech need more than anything is to get more options in general, but who knows when that might happen.

That increase cost statement came from their Warhammer Community post. Weird. I'm glad he went down in cost. Really leaves room for more stuff.

Hopefully we see some more releases next year.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Power klaws at 13 points, nice.

OhDearGodNo posted:

I never liked the stands, it made them look like they were hung from a coat rack. I cut the clear stands down and pinned them to their feet instead.

This looks better.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
These necromunda sculpts are gorgeous.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm intending to run my Calth box as a 40k force, is it going to look hilariously wrong if I pair them up with some Primaris?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

They look an awful lot like mk4 marines, so not really?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
It feels weird. Tyranids just got a great new codex with lots of good options.

Then they create the FW points for Chapter Approved and there's not a single viable option among them. They took the one playable unit in the collection and jacked its price up by over 50%. Have they just decided they no longer want to sell FW Tyranid models?

A malanthrope at 140 isn't TERRIBLE, but it definitely moved it from the Pretty Good camp into the Mediocre camp. Heirodules still more expensive than a knight, despite being worse in every single category. Stonecrushers might be okay, but they're still pretty slow and not likely to ever make it to assault with any of the things it's supposed to be good at killing.

Oh well, Codex is great. Nids still awesome.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

raverrn posted:

They look an awful lot like mk4 marines, so not really?

Yeah but don't 30k marines lack the chest insignia?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Yeah but don't 30k marines lack the chest insignia?

They do. What chapter are you doing?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I really like Black Templars but I'm not sure how well they'd look without all the special bits you typically see on them like the robes or whatever

Could do Raven Guard or Iron Hands

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I was going to pick up some Shadow Spectres since a unit of 6 cost the same as 6 Fire Dragons but it looks like the Chapter Approved jumped the cost of their weapons up by 10 points each.

So....

I guess Fire Dragons it is.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
With all of the point discounts helping me fit more vehicles in, here's what I've got for my next 2k game:

Vaylund Cal
Terminator librarian with staff + storm bolter

2x 5 man tac marine squads, each with a power sword, combi-flamer, and plasmagun in a rhino with 2 storm bolters
5 scouts with camo, 4 sniper rifles, missile launcher

5 cataphractii terminators (Power sword, grenade harness, 2 twin lightning claws, 2 power fists, 3 storm bolters)
Sicaran venator with 3 heavy bolters and a hunter killer (I've got a ton of AT in the list already so saved some points on the sponsons, 9 HB shots with potms is pretty solid anyway, and potms makes a hunter-killer useful)

3 predators, two are autocannon + lascannon, the other is twin lascannon + heavy bolters, each with a storm bolter

Stormraven with twin AC, hurricane bolters, typhoon

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

goose willis posted:

I really like Black Templars but I'm not sure how well they'd look without all the special bits you typically see on them like the robes or whatever

It's ok for Templars to not wear the Emperor's symbol because they are symbols of the Emperor.

And the BT accessory sprue is back in production, it's a totally worthwhile investment.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Ropes4u posted:

Games workshop really needs a list builder that gets updated with the changes...
This is a solved problem: https://army.infinitythegame.com/

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Master Twig posted:

It feels weird. Tyranids just got a great new codex with lots of good options.

Then they create the FW points for Chapter Approved and there's not a single viable option among them. They took the one playable unit in the collection and jacked its price up by over 50%. Have they just decided they no longer want to sell FW Tyranid models?

A malanthrope at 140 isn't TERRIBLE, but it definitely moved it from the Pretty Good camp into the Mediocre camp. Heirodules still more expensive than a knight, despite being worse in every single category. Stonecrushers might be okay, but they're still pretty slow and not likely to ever make it to assault with any of the things it's supposed to be good at killing.

Oh well, Codex is great. Nids still awesome.

:same:

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

moths posted:

It's ok for Templars to not wear the Emperor's symbol because they are symbols of the Emperor.

And the BT accessory sprue is back in production, it's a totally worthwhile investment.

The accessory sprue even has a templar'd up MK4 torso front on it, it's meant to be.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Flavivirus posted:

Pretty lovely that the crisis suits didn't get a price cut either. At least commanders didn't get a price hike...

Commanders deserve a price hike though? :shrug:

I didn't actually see any non-FW Tau stuff on those pics. Are they even in the book?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if this is an attempt by GW proper to limit the FW units until they can be properly balanced?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Boon posted:

I wonder if this is an attempt by GW proper to limit the FW units until they can be properly balanced?

Doesn't look they did a good job if they didn't change Tarantulas or that Ork biker warboss.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Tarantulas base price doubled surely that's enough

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Strobe posted:

Commanders deserve a price hike though? :shrug:

I didn't actually see any non-FW Tau stuff on those pics. Are they even in the book?

Going by page numbers in the leaks, nope. People think this means that they are gonna get a codex soon, apparently they said on stream(?) yesterday that 4 codexes are in january and as such no changes like demons, this would also fit with necrons getting gently caress all as well but I don't know whether to believe it or not. :shrug: It does kinda fit with my questioning how you can balance the low firepower of some units with points only, cause for stuff like broadsides and riptides if you make them cheap enough for their fire power to be in line with their price then you get excessively tough for cost units.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I want to know why Heavy Quad Launchers got more expensive - they could have used a drop, honestly - and what the little asterisks beside a couple Renegade and Heretics units are. That's all I need to know. I'm dreaming of Militia Training.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Judging by lack of points changes, I'd guess we'll see Tau, Necrons and Deathwatch by Valentines.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I would do dirty things for Primaris Moritats. But loving hell give me Rhinos my biglys can go in first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Judging by lack of points changes, I'd guess we'll see Tau, Necrons and Deathwatch by Valentines.

It would make sense to get Daemons done in Jan since they offer options for anything CHAOS, and then have some aliens and things to hunt aliens. I'm curious what we'll see model wise though - the DG well is dry, surely something new has to happen (please not more Primaris).