Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The characters were actually being kind to Immortan Joe - if they removed his mask, he'd never be able to wrestle again!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BioEnchanted posted:

The characters were actually being kind to Immortan Joe - if they removed his mask, he'd never be able to wrestle again!

Being unmasked half a dozen times didn't stop Kendo Nagasaki.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

So is Bibs annoyed they didn't unmask Judge Doom in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

why didn't Dredd lose his helmet in Dredd??? :argh: obviously the Stallone film is magnitudes better

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Parasol Prophet posted:

Top Secret! is a great movie. There are so many little bits and lines from it that just pop into my head and make me smile. Maybe it's because I watched it more often as a kid, but I don't get those as much from Airplane!.

Surely you must be joking.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh god I replied to MisterBibs first. I did this, I brought this doom on us all.

My IIMM for Fury Road: not enough Doof. I would watch an entire movie of Max and Doof fighting over a flame-throwing guitar.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Powaqoatse posted:

why didn't Dredd lose his helmet in Dredd??? :argh: obviously the Stallone film is magnitudes better

This is like a good 30% of why I like that movie a lot. Too many comic book movies have too many "unmasked" scenes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

This is like a good 30% of why I like that movie a lot. Too many comic book movies have too many "unmasked" scenes.

Spider-Man was absolutely ridiculous for doing this several times per movie.

Although Doc Ock's response was great. "Peter Parker.....brilliant but lazy :unsmith:"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Magnus Manfist posted:

I don't watch all the superhero films, but to me the ones like Logan that try to be really serious can't get around the fact that super-soldiers don't really seem to be worth the hassle? Like the perfect X-24 supersoldier manages to stab a couple of people in their sleep, then after a massive epic fight with wolverine just gets run over by a normal dude driving a normal jeep. Great use of a billion dollars. Maybe just invest in jeeps?

That's the biggest gripe I have about every superhero flick which has someone who's power isn't just "really strong".

Every single one has to power up like it's loving Drangoballz.

"Oh no, he's shouting and a ball of light appears to be slowly forming between his hands! Whatever will we do? Use our guns? No, let's slowly advance on him and see what happens."

I mean, if your superpower takes longer to get off than firing a gun, it's not much of a superpower really, is it?

Another irritating moment about Logan - the black kid had lightning powers.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Another irritating moment about Logan - the black kid had lightning powers.

I have to assume I'm missing something here.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

rydiafan posted:

It's really bizarrely commonplace for black superheroes to have electricity as their superpower: https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-do-so-many-black-superheroes-have-electricity-power-1795504279

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Don't argue with MisterBibs, he will never admit that he may be wrong about something.

:agreed:

Just quote this gif at him until he stops.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Biplane posted:

Hot dogs

There it is! It took longer than normal for the hot dog comment to show up this time. :allears:

But seriously how dare bibs have an irrationally irritating movie moment!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

rydiafan posted:

If you're white you can have any power you want. Flight, telepathy, fire, ice. You name it.

If you're black, you get lightning.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, not ALL the time. Though if it's not lightning, it tends to be either a hand-me-down superpower or generic toughness. It's one of the weirder superhero stereotypes which mostly comes from a zillion legally distinct knockoffs of Black Lightning.

Speaking of, you can always tell a Catholic superhero because they either look like a demon, dress like a demon, or are a literal demon.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

MisterBibs posted:

No, you're just inserting your own supposition on stuff (what Immortan Joe really is, what he's physically like) because the movie lacks it itself (by the lack of a demasking scene). Nobody has ever said that someone's shoulder blade is the gateway to the soul. If you're trying to claim a back reveal is anything comparative to a face reveal in terms of character/personality/humanity/whatever, I've got a bridge to sell you.

He was literally unmasked in the final big action sequence, and it killed him because he was a hosed up diseased old man only ruling through a cult of personality.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
Stranger: Indeed?
Cassilda: Indeed it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
Stranger: I wear no mask.
Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of a living god.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah, same. It works great that all we ever see of his face is his angry frown.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

If you're white you can have any power you want. Flight, telepathy, fire, ice. You name it.

Yea, the most annoying for me was the dude on Heroes who got stronger when someone feared him. He always, ALWAYS made this goofy loving face that looked like he was smelling the world's worst fart as hard as he could.

The show sucked but by God that dude made it worse.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wait, what? I honestly never heard this before. Luke Cage, Black Panther, Falcon and Blade are the first 3 black superheroes I name off the top of my head and none of them are lightning based. OK, Storm, but she gets all the weather so that only kind of counts.

Only thing I can think of are Black Lightning and that Superfriend dude. Is this a real trope?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BiggerBoat posted:

Wait, what? I honestly never heard this before. Luke Cage, Black Panther, Falcon and Blade are the first 3 black superheroes I name off the top of my head and none of them are lightning based. OK, Storm, but she gets all the weather so that only kind of counts.

Only thing I can think of are Black Lightning and that Superfriend dude. Is this a real trope?

Yes. Even the black Spider Man gets an electric attack.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

BiggerBoat posted:

There's Static Shock, Aqualad, Bumblebee from Teen Titans, etc.

Skateboards were also big for a while.

Squidster has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Nov 25, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Luke Cage, Black Panther, Falcon and Blade are the first 3 black superheroes I name off the top of my head and none of them are lightning based. OK, Storm, but she gets all the weather so that only kind of counts.

You named five, but I suppose in America they only count as three-fifths of a superhero each.

On a more serious note: I agree that most of the currently well known black heroes don't have lightning powers (my own top 5 would include Cloak), but it is fairly common for black heroes to have such powers. The more important distinction is that apart from Luke Cage the heroes you named all have something in common - none of them solo headlined a title for at least a decade after their first appearance. Black Panther was created for Fantastic Four in 1966 and didn't get his own title until 1977; Falcon was a regular in Captain America from 1969 but didn't get so much as a mini-series until 1988; Blade launched in Tomb of Dracula in 1973 but didn't get his own book until 1994; and Storm was a regular in X-Men from 1975 - even leading the team - but only got her own mini-series in 1996. And even Cage has spent most of his publication history sharing a cover credit; Luke Cage: Hero For Hire became Luke Cage and Iron Fist with #50 and stayed that way to the end of the run with #125, and after that his book was Heroes For Hire. (Another major black hero you didn't mention has the same distinction - John Stewart, the alternate Green Lantern who first appeared in Green Lantern and Green Arrow in 1971 but didn't become the title character of the solo book until 1982.)

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jedit posted:

You named five, but I suppose in America they only count as three-fifths of a superhero each.

I laughed

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jedit posted:

On a more serious note:

Yeah, I agree with all that. And, poo poo. I can count but when I was writing I thought of Falcon then Storm and forgot to edit. I'd just never heard the "lightning" powers argument before so I did a mental head count without googling and came up with little. I'd forgotten about Jon Stewart too.

I wonder how much of what you talk about is white creators not knowing how to write black characters, thinking that black characters wouldn't sell or just that, in general, all the artist and writers were white - leading to every black hero having "black" in their name. Probably a combination of all three.

Stereotypes are still strangely apparent in comics, as well as cinema and TV. I'd mentioned earlier in the thread the lack of asian characters in those mediums since they're almost always "mystic arts/karate guy" or "science nerd". I can't remember a prominent asian character where the person simply just happened to be Asian. Maybe Sandra Oh in Sideways.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

BiggerBoat posted:

The linked article goes into more detal and others have mentioned examples, but the article had some good points. Electricity powers allow someone to contribute to a fight without actually being able to win a fight, and also leave someone physically vulnerable, both of which allow black people not to be too scary or formidable for white audiences.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Static Shock was created by a black man, fwiw

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Olaf The Stout posted:

The linked article goes into more detal and others have mentioned examples, but the article had some good points. Electricity powers allow someone to contribute to a fight without actually being able to win a fight, and also leave someone physically vulnerable, both of which allow black people not to be too scary or formidable for white audiences.

In the justice league series electricity was everyone's weakness, though. Like, you could reliably take down superman just by zapping him a little.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Tunicate posted:

In the justice league series electricity was everyone's weakness, though. Like, you could reliably take down superman just by zapping him a little.
Do we even need to mention the ethnicity of the person most responsible for Justice League Unlimited?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Tunicate posted:

No he can't really die from electrocution, It just REALLY loving HURTS him, since he's a living mammal-like alien made of water (and comic book magic), he also had to breathe air and couldn't chill in space.

I love DCAU Superman. He's easily my all-time favorite version of the character.

Also Spawn is by far the most successful black superhero ever, and none of you mentioned him.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

So is Bibs annoyed they didn't unmask Judge Doom in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Of course I was, but that was less thematic and more that it implied a really cool cartoon character, but did nothing with it. You know that if they did a remake of the movie today, they would've demasked him, and the entire finale would be better for it.

Schubalts posted:

He was literally unmasked in the final big action sequence, and it killed him because he was a hosed up diseased old man only ruling through a cult of personality.

Yeah, and you have to click a Next Frame button on your remote to see it. Sorry, but I'm looking to actually see someone powerfull brought low and exposed as a diseased old man better than that. You know, with a scene where his mask comes off.

It doesn't ruin the movie or anything else - plenty of other stuff does that - but there's no arguing against adherence to formula.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Of course I was, but that was less thematic and more that it implied a really cool cartoon character, but did nothing with it. You know that if they did a remake of the movie today, they would've demasked him, and the entire finale would be better for it.

Yeah, and you have to click a Next Frame button on your remote to see it. Sorry, but I'm looking to actually see someone powerfull brought low and exposed as a diseased old man better than that. You know, with a scene where his mask comes off.

It doesn't ruin the movie or anything else - plenty of other stuff does that - but there's no arguing against adherence to formula.

I don't think they could possibly re-make Roger Rabbit today due to the licensing costs. At least not in any kind of way that people would want to watch since the licensed toons were the best part of an already drat good movie.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

No he can't really die from electrocution, It just REALLY loving HURTS him, since he's a living mammal-like alien made of water (and comic book magic), he also had to breathe air and couldn't chill in space.

It's the Ninja Turtle Lethality Paradox. The turtles with the bladed weapons can never actually hit anyone, so those weapons are useless. Blunt weapons are highly effective because they don't draw blood.

Same thing - superman or a civilian being burnt to a crisp is never gonna fly, but getting zapped so you can see their skeleton then being knocked out can work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I agree with all that. And, poo poo. I can count but when I was writing I thought of Falcon then Storm and forgot to edit. I'd just never heard the "lightning" powers argument before so I did a mental head count without googling and came up with little. I'd forgotten about Jon Stewart too.

I wonder how much of what you talk about is white creators not knowing how to write black characters, thinking that black characters wouldn't sell or just that, in general, all the artist and writers were white - leading to every black hero having "black" in their name. Probably a combination of all three.

Nah, it's just a matter of the comics industry being poo poo towards black people. When Warren Ellis killed off Stormwatch to launch The Authority, the only superhero characters he didn't take across were the two black ones. In Runaways the only characters among the Pride and their kids who don't have superpowers or advanced technology are the black family. Lots of heroes get the poo poo kicked out of them in Civil War, but the only one who is killed is Goliath - who is black. All three of those books feature an integrated multiracial cast and the first two also have openly gay characters (even though Wiccan and Hulkling play important parts in Civil War, their relationship isn't mentioned). But in all cases, the blacks get the short end of the stick.

MrJacobs posted:

Spawn is by far the most successful black superhero ever, and none of you mentioned him.

That's because he's not black. Malebolgia deliberately reincarnated Al Simmons as a white guy to gently caress with him.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Nov 25, 2017

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jedit posted:

Nah, it's just a matter of the comics industry being poo poo towards black people. When Warren Ellis killed off Stormwatch to launch The Authority, the only superhero characters he didn't take across were the two black ones. In Runaways the only characters among the Pride and their kids who don't have superpowers or advanced technology are the black family. Lots of heroes get the poo poo kicked out of them in Civil War, but the only one who is killed is Goliath - who is black. All three of those books feature an integrated multiracial cast and the first two also have openly gay characters (even though Wiccan and Hulkling play important parts in Civil War, their relationship isn't mentioned). But in all cases, the blacks get the short end of the stick.

Todd Macfarlene's Spawn sold fucktarded amounts of copies, like more than any white superhero solo book before that time in the early 90s. Sure it was partially responsible for the crash, but it was the single most famous black superhero ever.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jedit posted:

That's because he's not black. Malebolgia deliberately reincarnated Al Simmons as a white guy to gently caress with him.

What the gently caress? I've read enough comics to not have a clue as to whether you are loving with me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nah. I kinda remember they story. Basically he got brought back to life as a blonde haired blue eyed white dude. Can't remember if it stuck or not though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My IMM for X-Men first class is Darwin.

His superpower is 'reactive evolution', which reshapes his body to adapt to his surroundings and lets him survive anything, so naturally (A) he has black skin in 1960s America, and (B) he gets killed by the villain in one shot, and is the only hero who dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MrJacobs posted:

Also Spawn is by far the most successful black superhero ever, and none of you mentioned him.

As a superhero he's one of the most badass. As a movie, Spawn was a dismal failure, much like a lot of superhero movies of the time. It had a great soundtrack and John Leguizamo and ya know going down and teaching Satan a lesson (CGI Satan was just lol though)

Luke Cage is really where it's at for black superheroes currently (he says obviously)