Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Flameblast totems is the single most boring build I've ever played

This build was my first real char and legit almost made me quit the game. I hate seeing it recommended to new players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Does anybody have recommendations for a fun, active, newbie friendly build? People keep recommending this game to me and I can see the promise, but the curve feels a little steep, tbh.

I'm playing on XBONE with a controller, if it matters.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

Does anybody have recommendations for a fun, active, newbie friendly build? People keep recommending this game to me and I can see the promise, but the curve feels a little steep, tbh.

Slayer Sunder. It's nigh impossible to mess up, active and reasonably tanky.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Something melee range or that has you upgrading your weapon for spikes of damage instead of holding onto a low level caster weapon until the end game would probably fit the bill.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

*sad trombone*

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
bv-decay is really good+fun but frankly it's less efficient than ed-contagion and if you're going to play a pseudo-melee character why not just play... a real melee character. also allelopathy is now 150c (pretty sure these 22c ones are fake)

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

What's the ideal ed/contagion build, anyways? This is my first time playing it and it's a lot more fun than I expected

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm coming back for the race and next league, is there space again in the guild? could someone fling an invite at @moooo566 ?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

whypick1 posted:

*sad trombone*

holy poo poo and two goons actually called it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

VanillaGorilla posted:

I'm playing on XBONE with a controller, if it matters.
I like Summon Raging Spirits. They're short-duration so you're always doing something, but they're also largely fire-and-forget so that you have time to watch the ground and learn mechanics. They also don't need any specific uncraftable gear until you're already mapping. This is the build I (largely) used starting out - I skipped EE and Ball Lightning to use more summons - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1921787

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Jinnigan posted:

bv-decay is really good+fun but frankly it's less efficient than ed-contagion and if you're going to play a pseudo-melee character why not just play... a real melee character. also allelopathy is now 150c (pretty sure these 22c ones are fake)

What search are you using for Allelopathy? I'm looking on harbinger right now and they are 1c. I mean, i know its a dead league but I was planning on playing BV Decay in abyss and 150c is a lot.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Lechtansi posted:

What search are you using for Allelopathy? I'm looking on harbinger right now and they are 1c. I mean, i know its a dead league but I was planning on playing BV Decay in abyss and 150c is a lot.

I'm talking about in Mayhem

Looks like they've stabilized around 60c

Honestly though the build is quite powerful already with ed/contagion/blight+3 supports in a tabula rasa

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I'm playing a dw sunder berserker in the 10 day league saving up for a soul taker (already using prismatic eclipse), and I've found an inspired learning jewel. I can't decide between selling it for enough to kit out my character or trying to make it work with my build... it looks like it will cost me about 8 points to use it. I've never played with a HH so I figured it would be a fun distraction while I wait for Abyss. Thoughts?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm playing a dw sunder berserker in the 10 day league saving up for a soul taker (already using prismatic eclipse), and I've found an inspired learning jewel. I can't decide between selling it for enough to kit out my character or trying to make it work with my build... it looks like it will cost me about 8 points to use it. I've never played with a HH so I figured it would be a fun distraction while I wait for Abyss. Thoughts?

it sucks unless you have at least 2

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Jinnigan posted:

What's the ideal ed/contagion build, anyways? This is my first time playing it and it's a lot more fun than I expected

In a short league or early in a league I think a MOM Trickster is your best bet, because it's cheap and survivable and its damage is more than adequate. If you've got the currency already I think a Low-Life Occultist or Scion is the most powerful at the top end.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Jinnigan posted:

I'm talking about in Mayhem

Looks like they've stabilized around 60c

Honestly though the build is quite powerful already with ed/contagion/blight+3 supports in a tabula rasa

OK, makes sense that they would still be expensive in a race that just started. I was planning on just leveling my normal ED build until 68 and then switching over, most of the gems are the same. Stick decay in your weapon swap and your basically there.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

haha allelopathy dropped from 90c at the start of the day straight to 15c right now. i'm bad at economy

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's a void league, so outside of the initial super rush I don't really expect much of an economy to develop. You can't take it with you, after all.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

It's also quite a common item in a supply drenched league, so prices will drop as the supply increases

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

whypick1 posted:

*sad trombone*

lmao yup that was me. what a waste. also yeah 2 goons called it wtf

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Just getting started in this game (I played it back around release I think). Does the guild matter what league you're in or whatever? I think I'm playing Harbinger.

I like the idea of the 10 day rush things but with a wife and kid I only get a couple hours per day to do extra crap so it feels like I would be constantly behind.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
So I'm thinking about what the best way to build a summoner will be for abyss league, I'm assuming that you will be able to get 6L items in gloves/helm/boots, which works well with summoner as they dont care about the vast majority of stats because they cap resists easily and then dont use most of the offensive stats, so they can use terrible gloves/boots/helm that happen to have the right shaper/elder mods to make them 6L.

6L #1 - Spectres, summon spectres, they run around after you killing stuff simple enough.
6L #2 - Zombies, same as spectres no real interaction required.
6L #3 - Skeleton mages, most of your casting time is spent casting these, maybe pledge of hands for the spell echo?
6L #4 - Animate weapon, probably with spell totem.
6L #5 - Auras with generosity.

Gameplay would be dropping a spell totem with animate weapon into any big packs, then casting skeleton mages. You would then have spectres,zombies,skeleton mages and animated weapons all attacking.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zombies suck hard and i would advise you not to bother with them as anything other than meat filler.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Zombies get kinda worthless at higher tier maps unless you're running The Baron.

Also don't forget you need sockets for Desecrate, Flesh Offering, Convocation, a movement skill(with supports).

I think something like Specs + Golems + one of SRS/AW/Mages is the way to go. Flame Golems are very very good clearspeed once you have all the golem jewels. Golems are your clear, Spectres are your single target, and whatever else to fill in cast time.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Combo posted:

Just getting started in this game (I played it back around release I think). Does the guild matter what league you're in or whatever?

Nope. Guild is universal.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Even with Baron and Life+Res support gems you will spend a load of time resummoning zombies just in the yellow tiers. With 6 zombies, a Violent Dead jewel, and Baron I was happy enough with the damage, but once I hit tier 12-14 maps the uptime was virtually nil - every magic pack dropping at least half the zombies and every rare culling the entire lot of them. I swapped them out for a skeleton totem and it was far more effective at everything.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Even with Baron and Life+Res support gems you will spend a load of time resummoning zombies just in the yellow tiers. With 6 zombies, a Violent Dead jewel, and Baron I was happy enough with the damage, but once I hit tier 12-14 maps the uptime was virtually nil - every magic pack dropping at least half the zombies and every rare culling the entire lot of them. I swapped them out for a skeleton totem and it was far more effective at everything.

zombies can be scaled higher than that - realistically their peak is the guardians, who in general tear them apart no matter what you do

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Combo posted:

Just getting started in this game (I played it back around release I think). Does the guild matter what league you're in or whatever? I think I'm playing Harbinger.

I like the idea of the 10 day rush things but with a wife and kid I only get a couple hours per day to do extra crap so it feels like I would be constantly behind.

Either way harb is ending soon so get used to how everything works so you have a better idea what you want tot play.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The main reason for zombies is the phys reduction they can give you, but in higher content they're always going to be dying.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Deformed Church posted:

I'm coming back for the race and next league, is there space again in the guild? could someone fling an invite at @moooo566 ?

Character does not exist. Make sure it's char name and not account name

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

TheRat posted:

Character does not exist. Make sure it's char name and not account name

Huh, sorry, could've sworn you did it with account name. Try whats_updog?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Deformed Church posted:

Not much, what's up with you?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Deformed Church posted:

invite sent

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

pixaal posted:

Either way harb is ending soon so get used to how everything works so you have a better idea what you want tot play.

Yeah I know I have another week or two and I get to start over so I figure now's the time to figure out what I like first.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2033763

I'm really curious if those gloves are viable. 800 Mana seems easy on a boss, and with MoM you have enough regen to do an expensive movement skill. I'm really curious about them though!

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Buffing glacial cascade with threshold jewels is an odd choice unless it's getting large numbers nerf

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So I always see Glacial Cascade used with mines and poo poo, is it that bad of an idea to use it straight up as a spell?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Glacial Cascade: a spell that needs buffing, yes sir.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Vasudus posted:

Glacial Cascade: a spell that needs buffing, yes sir.

:agreed:

Basically copying Rodent's build in Mayhem right now, but more squishy because I'm an SC scrub. That jewel is pushing me towards making it my Abyss starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Selfcast GC feels bad, probably still will feel bad after these jewels. GC mines probably gonna be hella better, which is laughable since they're loving amazing right now. Oh well, looks like I know what threshold jewel I'm getting in A5 to immediately sell to someone.