Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Crotch Bat posted:

Has Chip always been so monstrously fat? That pic on ESPN's front page makes it look like his cheek fat is about to fold around and swallow his ears.

i for one welcome more rotund football coaches

makes for the easier jokes you see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chip has always been fat yeah

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Ehud posted:

Chip has always been fat yeah

Maybe Scott Strickland got a hold of his cardiologist’s records

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why wont chip deink his own smoothies

WHATS IN THE SMOOTHIES, CHIP???

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
#HornyForPetersen

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
UF is gonna have to hire Jeff Fisher or Charlie Strong

lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

gently caress man. I like never really even considered Kelly as a possibility because I thought he'd just meander back to the Pac12, but now that I tasted the possibility I'm definitely feeling the weight of the disappointment.

The more I read about Taggart the more I like him. I like Frost a lot too.

I don't want to see Strong on the sideline really.

Goddamn it. So close to landing the best available coach. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

gently caress man. I like never really even considered Kelly as a possibility because I thought he'd just meander back to the Pac12, but now that I tasted the possibility I'm definitely feeling the weight of the disappointment.

Goddamn it. So close to landing the best available coach. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Gators are a mid-major now.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Randaconda posted:

Gators are a mid-major now.

This hire feels crucial, and it's already a dog and pony show.

A lot of the "Florida will be fine" nonsense that's been floated since Urban bailed is starting to dry up. Maybe we won't.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

bro it's gonna be okay. even if he came to UF, he wasn't gonna be there for long

A guy like Frost or Mullen might be better suited to stabilize things.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
UCLA isn’t a better job than Florida in a vacuum but it makes more sense for chip kelly specifically. He knows the conference, his personality is a better fit at a school where football isn’t the most important thing in the world and he recruited LA a ton while he was at Oregon. I don’t think Florida fans should freak out that much about it, they’re still gonna get a good coach

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MourningView posted:

I don’t think Florida fans should freak out that much about it, they’re still gonna get a good coach

they hired Jim McElwain

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

UCLA isn’t a better job than Florida in a vacuum but it makes more sense for chip kelly specifically. He knows the conference, his personality is a better fit at a school where football isn’t the most important thing in the world and he recruited LA a ton while he was at Oregon. I don’t think Florida fans should freak out that much about it, they’re still gonna get a good coach

No I totally agree.

Just sick of bad football and bad news. :smith:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

they hired Jim McElwain

The whole thing is a roll of the dice. Mac was considered a good hire. so was Muschamp.

If we get Frost or Mullen then those will be considered good hires too. But no one really knows.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The ACC should now extend an invite to UF and Vanderbilt.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Randaconda posted:

The ACC should now extend an invite to UF and Vanderbilt.

UF and Kentucky.

Gotta expand the basketball profile.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/status/934481883894878208

Tennessee update

quote:

Sources tell FootballScoop Tennessee AD John Currie has been working the phones and putting in the hours expected of a UT AD during a coaching search. This search has been referred to as “thorough” by more than one person in the profession to FootballScoop.

Before we get into the real stuff, we are reminded in accordance with Tennessee state law, in connection with any Tennessee coaching search we are required to mention Jon Gruden’s name somewhere prominently in the article. Jon Gruden was never a candidate for this job. That is all.

Now, for the update. While we have heard from sources throughout the week that Currie feels comfortable with Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano if he needs to go there, the buzz in the profession the past 24 hours has been that Mike Leach seems to have a very good shot at being offered the position.

The expectation from those we’ve spoken with is that Leach would accept the position if offered. We can further add that sources tell FootballScoop Washington State officials have had internal discussions about their plans should Leach move on (in addition to Tennessee, Leach could be wind up being a target at other SEC schools as well). In the event they need to make a hire, sources tell FootballScoop Washington State would move without hesitation to promote defensive coordinator Alex Grinch to head coach.

Now, back on the Tennessee front, word has been shared that Dan Mullen reportedly headed out recently to meet with John Currie. It is unclear at this time if Tennessee funded that trip or if Jimmy Sexton did.

Tennessee and Ohio State play today and Washington State plays tonight. A Washington State win tonight would send Leach’s squad into the Pac-12 Championship and Ohio State has already punched their ticket for the Big Ten Championship. It is unclear it Tennessee would be able to secure either Leach or Schiano before those games.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Why are people saying kerwin bell in that “ask gator fans who they want as coach” segment

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
schiano feels like your fall back option, but ok

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

If Tennessee gets Leach and we end up with Strong I might just take up watching loving Premier League instead, gently caress this poo poo

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

nachos posted:

Why are people saying kerwin bell in that “ask gator fans who they want as coach” segment

Because most of our fans are loving stupid and obsessed with the 'gator way' or whatever

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

UF and Kentucky.

Gotta expand the basketball profile.

Works for me!

And then you'd have to play Miami every year. :unsmigghh:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

schiano feels like your fall back option, but ok

That’s pretty much what the article says

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I really can’t see Mike Leach gladhanding with the big money stiffs that he’ll have to definitely be doing as Tennessee coach.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I really can’t see Mike Leach gladhanding with the big money stiffs that he’ll have to definitely be doing as Tennessee coach.

If anything he should be in Gainesville with a helipad and fully-fueled helo ready at all times to fly him to Key West upon request.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

That’s pretty much what the article says

It was mostly to this sentence:

quote:

*It is unclear it Tennessee would be able to secure either Leach or Schiano before those games

doesn't really feel like anyone is gonna be banging down greg's door

but i would also think that like, any number of other coaches would be better than greg. idk.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

If Tennessee gets Leach and we end up with Strong I might just take up watching loving Premier League instead, gently caress this poo poo

Just watch the extremely good basketball team

They're an offensive juggernaut

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Florida is now a baseball school.

But for real, I had reservations about Muschamp the same way I did about Zook. At the time, and even now, Florida is not a good school to learn how to be a head coach. Spurrier and Meyer each had head coaching experience coming into the gig. Thats why I never liked the Zook hire and was hesitant about Muschamp. Mac at least had a couple good years at Colorado State, so I thought he was going to work out.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
excuse me but Muschamp was a head coach IN WAITING

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Hiring a coach is such a crapshoot that even a "can't miss" coach can gently caress up.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I think any talk of a bidding war between Nebraska and Florida is nonsense, because Frost's track record shows (and the people who know him — and poo poo, there have been a lot of them on Nebraska sports radio in recent weeks — think) he's not really motivated by money. I know y'all my think that's naive, but it really seems like the case with him. He's always been a different dude.

I would not be surprised if he stayed at UCF. Much love to you, Gator goons, but I would be surprised if he went to Gainesville.

(... Now watch Florida pull in Taggart and Frost go to Oregon)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

swickles posted:

Florida is now a baseball school.

But for real, I had reservations about Muschamp the same way I did about Zook. At the time, and even now, Florida is not a good school to learn how to be a head coach. Spurrier and Meyer each had head coaching experience coming into the gig. Thats why I never liked the Zook hire and was hesitant about Muschamp. Mac at least had a couple good years at Colorado State, so I thought he was going to work out.

Mac would probably still be there if he wasn't loyal to a fault to his assistants.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Mike Leach doesn't really strike me as a fit for any SEC school, but anything can happen on the carousel.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

Mike Leach doesn't really strike me as a fit for any SEC school, but anything can happen on the carousel.

i need mike leach at arkansas

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://twitter.com/ChrisLaw/status/934463996589047809

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
ugh just loving imagine how tedious and awful a conversation between mike leach and jerry jones would be

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

ugh just loving imagine how tedious and awful a conversation between mike leach and jerry jones would be

lol i will also accept mike leach as the new coach of the cowboys

WHO NEEDS ZEKE

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Moos just told a Leach story during the Riley firing press conference. I'd take Leach over Bert in a heartbeat.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 25, 2017

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Moos just told a Leach story during the Riley firing press conference. I'd take Leach over Bert in a heartbeat.

I'd prefer keeping Mike Riley to hiring Bert. I want NOTHING to do with him.

e: I really like Moos after this press conference

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Enos Cabell posted:

Mike Leach doesn't seem good for a school that until recently was offended by the notion of the forward pass, but Moos was able to convince him to come WSU so he may have the inside track on that.

• Locked thread