Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The TNG hand phasers are what is permanently etched into my mind as what star trek phasers look like alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Yeah TNG phasers are the most unique and also the only ones that matched Rodenberry's vision.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It's always fun to watch the actors point their phasers and see the beam effect go off in a completely different direction.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
almost like the TNG phasers have got dumb lovely ergonomics for something you're supposed to point in a specific direction and there's a reason guns are shaped the way they are

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
haven't any of you fuckers heard of autoaim before gAWW

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wallhack + Aimbot

Federation is all about camping.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gonz posted:

Federation is all about camping.

We learn a lot about that in The Final Frontier.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

drunken officeparty posted:

I've never seen anything Star Trek and am struggling to imagine how you could hold a gun shaped object not like a gun.

Like a medical dildo

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
A military dildo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sagebrush posted:

almost like the TNG phasers have got dumb lovely ergonomics for something you're supposed to point in a specific direction and there's a reason guns are shaped the way they are

It'd at least be easier because it's a continuous beam. Real-life laser pointers don't have gun sights on them, but it's not hard to get the dot where you want it after you start "firing". So I suppose if the TNG effects people wanted to be realistic about it, they'd start with everyone missing their target and blasting the hell out of the wall, then quickly tracking in to where they actually want it to go. But that would look silly. :)

It's also been noted that after the Borg became a threat (by the time of the First Contact movie), Starfleet finally wised up and introduced a new phaser rifle, with ergonomics MUCH more like a real-world firearm.

I'm fine with the Orville ray guns being gun-shaped.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Zzulu posted:

A military dildo

Mods? Please, I need this so bad.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Even though TOS usually used the gun type phasers, they had the little garage door opener phasers too. Here's a replica:

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Epicurius posted:

Even though TOS usually used the gun type phasers, they had the little garage door opener phasers too. Here's a replica:

Sagebrush already posted a picture of that one, it's sitting in a cradle on top of the pistol style phaser.

Sagebrush posted:

What? Yes they are.

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Sagebrush already posted a picture of that one, it's sitting in a cradle on top of the pistol style phaser.

How have I never noticed that!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

EvilJay posted:

How have I never noticed that!

If it makes you feel better, neither did I.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Geeze guys. Type 2 Phasers incorporating Type 1 is like Star Trek 101 and was the case from TOS up until Star Trek V.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

bull3964 posted:

Geeze guys. Type 2 Phasers incorporating Type 1 is like Star Trek 101 and was the case from TOS up until Star Trek V.

Look I just wanna see politics in space and maybe hot aliens.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Millennial P'tak

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

drunken officeparty posted:

I've never seen anything Star Trek and am struggling to imagine how you could hold a gun shaped object not like a gun.

I... Why are you even in this thread?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Hipster_Doofus posted:

This is a thread about The Orville.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You need to take this 100 question star trek trivia quiz before you're allowed to watch the Orville

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Regy Rusty posted:

You need to take this 100 question star trek trivia quiz before you're allowed to watch the Orville

No no, you see, Orville fandom is a clever way to get around the two-year waiting list to be a Trekkie.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Because I like watching the orville.

The Star Treks I know of are the original goofy beam me up scotty one with William Shatner from the 60's, then there was one in the 80s?? with Patrick Stewart, and somewhere in there was one with a lady captain but I'm not positive on that one.

E: oh then the new Jay Jabrams movies but I don't think those count

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 26, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

No no, you see, Orville fandom is a clever way to get around the two-year waiting list to be a Trekkie.

As someone who doesn't watch Star Trek, I'm finding this to be very true.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've been watching star trek literally since I was in the crib and kids these data want their fan credentials just handed to them without putting in the hours? Shameful

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Orville is good 90's Star Trek with the S/N filed off plus jokes. If you like it, you should check out TNG(the Picard one) and then watch DS9.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mantis42 posted:

As someone who doesn't watch Star Trek, I'm finding this to be very true.

I never really cared about Star trek, but I enjoy this show. So I guess I'm in the same boat.
It might be an insult to some poeple, but I actually prefer the Orville to what I've seen of any given Star Trek.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Speaking of lovely ergonomics

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

pzy posted:

Speaking of lovely ergonomics

Yeah, but how cool is that? It's a flashlight but it doesn't have a bunch of huge batteries attached to it. So futuristic.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think those flashlights are normally wrist-mounted, so it can be argued that he's just using it that way, but it's not the intended way.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Peachfart posted:

The Orville is good 90's Star Trek with the S/N filed off plus jokes. If you like it, you should check out TNG(the Picard one) and then watch DS9.

Just don't start with season 1 of TNG, oh god...

But yeah, if anyone likes the orville but never saw TNG, check out like "Q Who" "yesterday's Enterprise" "cause and effect" "measure of a man" or the other top episodes. Nothing was serialized so you don't miss anything just watching the cream of the series.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
It just strikes me as very peculiar that a non-trek watcher would have any interest in The Orville whatsoever, but all right then; the more the merrier so :cheers:.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Snak posted:

I think those flashlights are normally wrist-mounted, so it can be argued that he's just using it that way, but it's not the intended way.

I'm pretty sure they are two different designs. The wrist mounted ones seemed more like normal flashlights, rather than a clock radio style. Pretty sure they moved to the second type because they realized no one would ever use such a stupid design.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It just strikes me as very peculiar that a non-trek watcher would have any interest in The Orville whatsoever, but all right then; the more the merrier so :cheers:.

It just strikes me as very peculiar that a non-Wagon Train watcher would have any interest in Star Trek whatsoever, but all right then.

Or whatever other show Star Trek was based on.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Cojawfee posted:

It just strikes me as very peculiar that a non-Wagon Train watcher would have any interest in Star Trek whatsoever, but all right then.
:drat:

vvvv That's exactly what they were.

nmfree fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 26, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently the hand held TNG flashlights were the front of a FirstAlert flashlight slimmed down a bit and then they ran wires up the sleeves and down to a 9v battery strapped to their ankle.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I like this show. It's a fun one to have on in the background. It's simple enough to be able to follow casually and figure out what's going on.

i don't know why the critics hated it so much, the tone of it is a lot less bitter and sarcastic than you'd expect from the creator of Family Guy; it's actually kind of refreshing to have a kind-hearted, fairly positive show that's still peppered with a dick joke here and there

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I've picked up enough about Star Trek through cultural osmosis and RedLetterMedia that I get the general idea, I guess. I'd probably like Star Trek but I don't want to get into a whole thing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

My mum hates Star Trek and for some reason really enjoys The Orville :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've never watched star trek because I'm not a literal kid diddler.

And I doubt it has as many wiener jokes as Orville.