Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The doors have departed the ship altogether:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

AP posted:

Idris and Javelin going on sale, new hammerhead thing, new other new jpg thing that's new.

Please sell the 890 jump and some vanduul thing and maybe sell a new alien thing too. Take all their money.
Relax SatanSandi.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Sarsapariller posted:

They are free now. No one can hurt clip through them anymore.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Sarsapariller posted:

Contender for my favorite Star Citizen screenshot.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
where we're going, we don't need doors

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010
The latest video... Such fidelity.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Greetings from Gooncati!

the ships hull, it's components, user interfaces and the pilot are all individual entities referenced to a static coordinate grid. The origin of the current one sits in the center of crusader which is a planet in the Stanton system. The commando who took the pictures abused some quantum jump bugs to jump further away than he should be able to by cigs design. He went to the other planets of the system which are not modeled but have quantum markers as a little hype/marketing gimmick. When the distances to the origin increased the coarser nature of the floating point grid detached the position of the ships components, UIs and the pilot from their natural positioning, resulting in the stimpire version of the ship in the picture. This shows the inherent inability of the current engine and tech to simulate a solar system to the scale used in 3.0. Even if they had the planets ready the game literally couldn't handle the scale at 64 bit coordinates without going so coarse the the ship components disintegrate from the hull

I wrote a whole paper explain how and why I had said they hacked in 64-bit cordinates :colbert:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

AP posted:

Idris and Javelin going on sale, new hammerhead thing, new other new jpg thing that's new.

Please sell the 890 jump and some vanduul thing and maybe sell a new alien thing too. Take all their money.

They should throw in some gimmicks like buy 5 ships at full price (>$300), get a free rover.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Kromgart posted:

The three stages of Star Citizen.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

MedicineHut posted:

This interests me a lot. Is that dismemberment of the ship parts due to the 64 bit shenanigans loving up? Do you have a link where this is discussed?

I don't know if it's been explained here, so here goes.

Lets say that your ship position variable has enough precision for 1000 steps across the universe. So, each X/Y/Z dimension has 1000 places a object can be placed. Objects cannot be placed between steps. Bigger universes require more steps.

The way decimal numbers work in programming is, the closer you are to 0, the smaller the steps are. This makes sense because, reasonably, numbers near 0 will be far more likely to be used than numbers at the extreme edge of the scale. Near 0,0,0, the steps might only be a millimeter big. at 700, 700, 700 the steps might be over a meter. If you fly your spaceship near 0,0,0, the ship can be placed more or less exactly where it's supposed to be.

If you fly your spaceship to the outer reaches of the coordinate system, the steps become bigger. So, when the pieces of your ship are nailed down onto the steps, they don't fit quite right. 64 bits gives you a lot of steps, but they still get bigger at long distance from 0,0,0. If the size of a step is, say, a meter, then the parts of your ship might be up to a meter incorrect in their apparent position. The ship looks like it's coming apart at the seams. The easiest way to do this in most games is to fall through the world. Once you fall low enough on the Y axis, you'll start to see the vehicle come apart.

This gets worse when you consider that ship parts are connected to each other in a hierarchy, and each part position is expressed relative to it's parent. So, your fuselage is connected to the object root, the wings are connected to the fuselage, the guns are connected to the wings, etc. This means every part has a position inaccuracy up to a full meter for each parent hierarchy level above it.

So this is why, for example, the guns on that ship, and the winglet, at really screwed up, but the core of the ship is mostly ok. Note that these parts will be jittering like crazy every frame, as the game tries to nail each piece down onto the steps that happened to be nearest at that moment in time.

There is no way to fix this, as any size variable will lose precision near the edges. It's proper to simply not use big numbers for positions. For example, you could divide your universe into a grid of cells, and then store the position of objects relative to the center of the cell they are in. This would keep the position numbers small. You might also store your ship's universal position in one coordinate system, but the actual ship model parts would have a position relative to that universal position, so position numbers of the things you can actually see around you would remain small (I think KSP does something like this). In a game like the original Starfox and Starfox II, the coordinate system only had something like 256 (or 1024?) steps in each direction. So, the player's ship was basically the center of the coordinate system, and everything else in the world had to be expressed relative to it.

edit: It's also possible that some parts of the game still use 32 bit position steps (like in physics?), and they get converted to 64 bits at various points. This will break it even more. Rather than come up with an elegant solution from the beginning, CiG has been hacking in additional precision in stages as they make their tech demo bigger. It will continue to cause problems until they gut it completely, which they won't and can't do.

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 25, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

thatguy posted:

I don't believe you. I think you're trying to make Derek look bad by exaggerating the w-

Well, I posted the whole thing in my previous missive.

----------------

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

FailureToReport? We don't know who you're talking about. We're just a small family company, trying to bring you the best in ahahahaha I can't do it.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Kromgart posted:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Faces_Of_StarCitizen.VHS

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D_Smart posted:

Well, I posted the whole thing in my previous missive.
You see Derek I was using a little bit of "comedy" by ironically saying he was incorrect shortly after you responded to him with a novella you spent all day thinking of.

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010

It all makes sense if you watch that part on x0.5 speed

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

DapperDon posted:

After watching your meltdown video, I just can't help but to read this in your little crybaby nasal voice filled with salty tears if impotence. The only thing that makes this more hilarious is imaging you slamming your tiny balled fists against the desk as you have a slapfight with Derek in the one place you cannot possibly win. Keep up the good work, we've been waiting for such a long time for this sort of entertainment.

Oh. And one last thing. How much are you in for Commando?

FailuretoReport this is your first test.

DapperDon is basically the tutorial level for learning how to deal with sarcastic assholes.

Later on they are smart and start moving around though.

Also you lose no points for encountering Derek Smart. He is classified as a Natural Disaster and is something we all have to deal with periodically.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/discolando/status/934507400404525056

There are clues about future sales in the current sale. Lethality is pumped.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/934507400404525056

There are clues about future sales in the current sale. Lethality is pumped.

Got to be careful about easter eggs in your pipeline

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

let's do thiiiiiiiiiissssssssss

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He's getting a lot of info online, so I was thinking more about programmer mindset or best practices, stuff a self-taught guy might not pick up.

He cannot apply these principles in a meaningful way while learning. He needs to experiment to learn, and he might pick up unnecessary restraint from such books. It really isn't a very good use of limited time and mental bandwidth to spend time on clean code, SOLID, test-driven development, documentation practices, etc. When programmers use these without the requisite experience and knowledge, it has a negative impact on productivity and quality.

His time is much better spent writing code and learning from his mistakes.

Also, someone mentioned web, and well, working with "modern web-development" is quite likely to teach bad habits.

I guess it depends on his ultimate goal, to what degree it makes sense to spend time on code quality and design. Either way, learning the fundamentals will do more for his ability to write good code than any book on principles and patterns. It will also help him distinguish the cargo cult bullshit from actual sound advice.

If it's just a hobby, it's fine to write dubious code, as noone else has to maintain it. But if he wants to make it his profession, there is a shitload of stuff to learn if he doesn't want to be a mediocre cargo cultist. It's perfectly viable to cash big paychecks and ship software without being particularly competent. Code can be surprisingly idiotic and still be shipped for a profit.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Sarsapariller posted:

Got to be careful about easter eggs in your pipeline

Blockers!

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

The Titanic posted:

Holy moly, how did we overlook this job opportunity!!!

I’m all on board for hot tub scrubber! The more crusty the leftover bodily juices, the more credits per hour I make (or whatever they call the in game useless currency)!

Being beaten with a riding crop is really just a mechanic of this slave labor gameplay option. If you’re a true backer your crop is gold, emblazoned with “AntiGoon Community Saver, The Hawk”.

I hear they're currently loading the next crate of poor commandos to this assignment. You might get in if you hurry

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

D_Smart posted:

As I was driving home, I kept thinking of all the things I wanted to say to you.

:same:, with the slight caveat that when I'm driving, or doing anything else other than posting ITT, I'm not thinking of anyone here at all.

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

D_Smart posted:

I wasn't home at the time I posted the previous response. So I was saving the best for last. As I was driving home, I kept thinking of all the things I wanted to say to you.

:words:

Apparently sticking it up to some unknown youtuber is a very important and serious business, guys. I didn't read the rest of this logorrhea, are we being called nazis again? Ja, nein, vielleicht?

Toops posted:

SCTrumpHater is a classic "gimmic" account where he baits people into arguing with him by posing as a smug SC fanatic (don't do that, we all hate it).

I don't know, it's like every 4 of his posts are normal, then he goes troll mode.

Toblakai fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 25, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

D_Smart posted:

I wasn't home at the time I posted the previous response. So I was saving the best for last. As I was driving home, I kept thinking of all the things I wanted to say to you.

First, I want to thank the Heavenly Father for continuing to show you loving heathens that the only true religion is one that is led by divine order, not some clueless moron born of man.

Second, I would like to thank the Goon (on my Discord) who bought you a $10 account so you could step out of your safe space and into the real digital world where you have no powa.

Oh, FYI, Goons buy accounts for fresh meat all the time. Paying 10 bux doesn't make you a Goon. It makes you a dumb gently caress who got roped into posting at the one place where everyone eats their young, and for good measure, even the old ladies, during a slow week. See: MoMa

I am also happy that you were dumb (I told you to take your meds, right?) enough to post this regurgitated vomit that's devoid of any logic (yeah, yeah, I know, Shitizens are as dumb as a bag of strap-on dildos in the bargain bin at a strip mall; but I digress) - at all.

Here's the thing. You and your turd-brained poo poo gargling girlfriends, ARE the reason that we're here, and the reason that the entire community is polarized.

The fact that you - and your circle jerk buddies - are still singing this "Oh you!!" mantra, is testament to the fact that you're all a bunch of completely broken gently caress sticks, bereft of anything resembling decent human beings worthy of being in society, let alone among normal people.

If your excuse for behaving the way that you have for the past years is because one POSITIVELY INSANE, AUTISTIC & CRANKY OLD GAME DEV wrote a loving blog (like nobody ever did that before, you see), then it makes the most sense that you all continued to give money to a bona fide scam artist who has all but poo poo in an ice cooler and passed it around so that you all can get the experience of what the turd from the guy you all made a millionaire, smells like.

In July 2015, I wrote the infamous "July Blog". In it, I said the game as pitched couldn't be made because Chris Roberts had extended the scope beyond the capabilities of the tech, the team, and the money.

They responded (at the behest of Sandi Gardiner & Ben Lesnick, according to my sources) by lying about why they kicked out my account and refunded me.

We now know - without a doubt - that the only reason why a multi-millionaire corp, led by a hapless wannabe visionary who has busted every loving project/company he ever touched, would even bother to respond to what many at the time believed to be the rantings of a "jealous" developer, is if there was SOME fact to what was written.

I have spent almost THREE loving DECADES building massive and complex games in the genre. Every loving tech you could possibly think of putting in a space/planetary combat game, I've either developed, or prototyped. And there is NOTHING in Star Citizen that's remotely revolutionary, groundbreaking, or original. Sure, my games aren't popular, they're not blockbusters, and they don't cater to a large audience. But so loving what? Anyone who knows my history, knows that I never - ever - set out to do that, or I would have changed course. A group of people keep buying the games that I make, so I kept making them. Audience size and revenue are irrelevant if you can make enough money to pay your bills and develop the games you want to develop. That's what an indie is. That's who I am, always was, and always will be.

Heck, just for the sheer fun of it, I just spent two loving weeks working on and releasing (on Thanksgiving Day, no less) a patch for a game I loving released in 2008, and which sold less than 100 copies in the past quarter. Why? Because I loving can, and because for me, it's fun, and it's what I do. I don't need a financial incentive as the primary reason for making games.

You loving retards attacking me and my games, doesn't loving faze me one bit. It's certainly not going to make Star Citizen a better, let alone a released, game.

Unlike you single testicled nut jobs, I put my money where my mouth is by actually paying attorneys in order to seek accountability for myself and the backers.

And then, even as they over-played their hand, they took it one step further by accusing me of stalking and harassment, even though there was no basis in fact, let alone in law, for it. Once again, I paid attorneys to give Ortwin, the other part of the scam, the redress his incompetent rear end was dying for.

Then The Escapist ended up doing an article in which other sources pretty much confirmed everything that I had been saying. Again, Chris over-played his hand by writing a kindergarten level diatribe in which he mentioned me over 5 dozen times - despite the fact that I had NOTHING to do with The Escapist article (which didn't even mention me).

And during all this time, 2 of the 3 things (financial accounting, dev schedule, refunds for those who are) that I asked for in my 2015 legal action, and which CIG was fighting against, ended up happening anyway. Why? Because it was the right loving call, and I knew it from the start.

Aside from all that, I had said that without the tech, the team, the money (at least $150M, they couldn't possibly build the loving game. That was 2.5 loving years ago. So far, I made that claim at around $75M. It's now $165M and it's not even out of pre-Alpha. And all the experienced people have since left, leaving mostly incompetent yes-men who are either just pulling a pay check, or towing the line.

When in 2016 they ended up switching engines (I wrote a whole loving blog about why that was BAD, not good) - without saying a loving thing about it beforehand - I said it was a loving waste of time because there is NO ENGINE on the planet that could build THAT game, most of you degenerate latte-sipping drama junkies, continued to attack me, while trying to theory-craft your way off an iceberg - even as Chris Roberts and his gang of fuckups, continued to PROVE ME RIGHT.

I'm not even going to mention the fact that I said SQ42 wasn't coming out in 2016. Again, I got attacked. CIG went on the record that it was totally, definitely coming out - pledge moah.

Then it didn't.

And I said that twice (for 2016 and 2017) because that's what sources said.

Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, back in Q4/2016 when I said that sources told me 3.0 didn't loving exist when Chris said it did - again, I got incessantly attacked. I thought "Fine. gently caress 'em; they'll see soon enough". So I spent a whole loving year documenting The Road To 3.0 timeline because I knew that, as these things go, you dumb-rear end schoolyard bullies are keen on revisionist history.

At the height of the 3.0 frenzy, I again wrote that sources said the entire dev schedule unveiled in April 2017, was pure and utter bullshit, and didn't reflect the internal schedule. Again, you glue huffing pinheads attacked me. Then slowly and slowly, this turned out to be true; and to the extent that it wasn't even a month ago that items started disappearing from the schedule, even though they never even appeared (as fixed or otherwise) in the schedule. Now, with the latest, NONE of that is even in the schedule.

But wait! There's more!

Through this whole time, I kept writing that 3.0 wasn't even ready for Evocati, that sources said it needed at least 6 months, that any earlier release would be a loving disaster (which we are now witnessing), and that it was a ploy for the CitizenCon shindig etc. Ignoring the fact that it was over a month ago, it conveniently got released - ahead of a sale - with loving obvious bugs which were either 1) already reported or 2) not even logged, thus providing ample evidence that even the special needs Evocati coffee-mainlining turd heaps who kept pretending that everything was OK and covering for CIG, were busy stroking their yogurt encrusted boners, having been let into the sekret club, instead of playing the loving game and helping to fix it. Which, considering that it was a pile of unplayable poo poo (just as I'd written), makes sense because ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

As of today, the loving project is a dumpster fire, and is completely FUBAR. And we're not even talking about it being pre-Alpha; but the fact that 6 years + $165m later, they don't even have a loving CompSci project, let alone a vertical slice of EITHER game.

Any one of you boot-licking Trumpettes who would look at this loving schedule of promises, and think "Yeah, they're totally going to make that game" deserves to be fleeced of everything you have.

Since you are one of those broken-brained rear end-clowns, I have no loving reason to believe that you have fully divested yourself from the project, or you wouldn't be wishy-washy about it, let alone still making loving videos while acting all shocked as if you only just now discovered a dime size hole in your Strawberry flavored condom.

Like others who hide behind the confines of anonymity while taking potshots at people like me, somehow you think that we're just going to forget about all the poo poo that you peanut-basted fruitcakes have been doing this whole time. My one regret is that I wrote enough, with sufficient evidence, for you guys to get a refund. I would very much have liked for you all to go down with the ship in the impending final days that are now playing out.

Go gently caress yourself. You're all a bunch of...

ps: I found the evidence (1, 2) of your meltdown over the Amazon dev interview which I essentially killed. Again, unlike you guys, my version of reality is the real one.

pps: You are now on my block list as I have nothing further to say to you.

this is going to be the new “who is john galt” screed that makes people beg other people to stop quoting it, isn’t it

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

TBH, I'm just pissed Derek gets away with his tirades, and I got probd for saying I hoped MoMA's dick dropped off....

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man people are so mad about 3.0 goddamn

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

Xaerael posted:

TBH, I'm just pissed Derek gets away with his tirades, and I got probd for saying I hoped MoMA's dick dropped off....

Well this is what you get for assuming xis gender. :colbert:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Xaerael posted:

If you didn't post it in the form of an image of your own face quoting yourself you were basically asking for a ban.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
why is that loving thumb always wearing two watches

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training
drat, the highlight of coming to SA and he blocked me already. I'm not sure if I'm crushed more by that or the fact that he wrote a small novel I'm not going to bother reading before proving that he'd just try to act big and run for his block. Balls.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Daztek posted:

let's do thiiiiiiiiiissssssssss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGyPuey-1Jw

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Sarsapariller posted:

There was a ton of this the first night I played 3.0

Olisar was literally scattered with parts of Freelancers, Dragonflies, etc. Majestic.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

FailureToReport posted:

drat, the highlight of coming to SA and he blocked me already. I'm not sure if I'm crushed more by that or the fact that he wrote a small novel I'm not going to bother reading before proving that he'd just try to act big and run for his block. Balls.
This is the correct response. We also would have accepted:

D_Smart posted:

ps. loving coward, I see you still have me on mod block in your lovely channel.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

thatguy posted:

You see Derek I was using a little bit of "comedy" by ironically saying he was incorrect shortly after you responded to him with a novella you spent all day thinking of.

I missed that. :grin:

----------------

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

FailureToReport posted:

He does to everyone who owns him. Most of them wears it like a badge of honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Xaerael posted:

Out of context!

I believe the exact quote was

Xaerael posted:

I hope your dick drops off and Hitler had some good ideas.