Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Playing AC Origins and enjoying it so far.

I cleared out a bandit camp and accidentally lit Bayek, the main character, on fire while looting corpses. He started flailing around like a madman while the flames engulfed him, and he managed to get out an angry "drat YOU" like he knew I was responsible before it was over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Leavemywife posted:

At this point, he could start making poo poo up and I would never check to see if the games were real. I would just believe there was a PS2 platfomer where you played as a snake that grew legs and used breakdancing (snakedancing?) moves to ward off an interdimensional demon invasion to steal all of our jelly beans.

Not only that you'd think it was a hidden gem.

Something cool about Pandora's Tower's characters so far is that Elena isn't completely helpless - while she can't do anything about the towers, as she isn't one for fighting and has no guarantee that exerting herself won't make the curse work faster anyway, she isn't just hanging out at the observatory doing homemaking - she's falling deep into research. Due to bringing her texts in ancient Aion(?) for her to translate, she actually is actively researching the language to become more effective at it, like going to the basement in a cutscene to get a hard to reach book on the ancient version of the language. She's actively helping, in what little way she can to attempt to figure out at least what's going on behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if her findings were instrumental in getting to the True Ending path, as you do apparently need a high enough affinity with her by end game to reach that. Also from tower 3 onwards she starts seeing you off, calling goodbye as you head down the chain :3:

Also she's not keeping her ~Mysterious Meat Dreams~ to herself like an idiot, she's telling Aeron and the old woman about them so that they can figure out how this struggling family ties into the Master Flesh - she has at least put together that they have something to do with it, even if her reaction thus far has been "Naaaah... can't be related... can it?"
Also now I've beaten the 4th tower, the pattern has been made clear in a file - they are based off 6 elements (5 asian elements + light) and their "dark" versions, so I'm curious what the dark versions of these elements will look like in the latter half of the game. It also mentions that while the Light sides of the elements are rules by male gods, the Dark sides are ruled by goddesses, so I'm curious if the last 6 bosses will look feminine.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Nov 25, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leavemywife posted:

At this point, he could start making poo poo up and I would never check to see if the games were real. I would just believe there was a PS2 platfomer where you played as a snake that grew legs and used breakdancing (snakedancing?) moves to ward off an interdimensional demon invasion to steal all of our jelly beans.

That's too weird for PS2. That would definitely be a ps1 sequel to Spider.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's actually something rather kind that Pandora's Tower does - as long as you have the materials you can get whichever weapon upgrade you want as they are cumulative, not discrete. If you see Sword Upgrade 3 gives +15 attack, but your missing a Abyssal Ingot or whatever, but Sword Upgrade 5 only requires a scale that you have enough of alongside the mercury, you can just skip to upgrade 5 for the +17 attack, and get the additional +15 from upgrade 3 whenever you actually get the stuff, which is pretty cool. You don't have to wait until you've grinded the stuff for Level 3 and 4, you can get whatever you have the stuff for. Prevents a lot of frustration - also the tiny enemies that keep popping up in swarms don't give meat, but they almost always drop items for crafting Medicine or similar items.

The game is generally player friendly. Tower 5 was weird though - there are 3 chains while the average before were 2 holding the boss door shut, but they are super close together, so unlike the other dungeons I did them all in one pass. I barely had to search I practically tripped over them. Also it's much more complex platforming, lots of moving parts. Still easy though, just need to move quickly at times.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Leavemywife posted:

Honestly, at one point I thought he WAS doing that, but I googled it and there really WAS a cartoon based off the mummy returns which got a PS2 game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Speaking of games that definitely exist, y'all should check out DinoStalker - a PS2 rail-ish shooter (some levels are rail shooter, some are a weird janky standard FPS that barely works) - it starts with a basic scifi plot - fight dinosaurs with guns in the Jurassic period. However it quickly goes off the deep end, starting with the reveal that you are not back in time, but in Cyberspace - it just escalates from there. The ending is also hilarious - here's a link to the un-commentated playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAfISvT4RE Yes, I played this one and beat it myself.

The Tagline on the box is amazing too: "Decimate Prehistory"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

Speaking of games that definitely exist, y'all should check out DinoStalker - a PS2 rail-ish shooter (some levels are rail shooter, some are a weird janky standard FPS that barely works) - it starts with a basic scifi plot - fight dinosaurs with guns in the Jurassic period. However it quickly goes off the deep end, starting with the reveal that you are not back in time, but in Cyberspace - it just escalates from there. The ending is also hilarious - here's a link to the un-commentated playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAfISvT4RE Yes, I played this one and beat it myself.

The Tagline on the box is amazing too: "Decimate Prehistory"

That's the one that's part of the Dino Crisis series right?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

According to the alternate title, yes. I didn't know that when I bought it, I was sold entirely on the tagline.

Edit: This is annoying in Pandora's Tower, I missed a spot solving a puzzle, but I know what I need to do - protip: On ironclad tower there is an easily missed elevator going down by the door -to the second chain anchor - if you switch it to up it will take you to a couple of mechanisms trapped in amber - without freeing those, the top two platforms in the central room will not move and you will not be able to find the boss door- I thought I'd solved the puzzle but I missed that one amber thing and spent way too long searching as I was not realising that that was all I needed to do. At least I now know what was missed so I can do it and the boss tomorrow morning.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Nov 25, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The best thing about reading BioEnchanted's posts is the complete lack of context or explanation. They read as if he assumes you play these games too. I mean, look at this one.

BioEnchanted posted:

The third boss in Pandora's Tower was annoying until I figured out what was happening - I misread the energy coming down the chain as a visual representation of the chain charging, but it's actually an attack that the bosses are going to start doing, so I need to shake the chain to do damage before that reaches Aeron's hand. At least I know that now, and I've beaten that boss too. Took a while to realise that the Master Flesh chunk that's constantly moving actually isn't moving randomly - it's following a blue "track" on the bosses body, so noticing that helped judge when to hook it and when to wait. It was a boss that I thought was a bad boss, but now I know all my hits were me making dumb mistakes, I now know that it's a good boss, just not a particularly fun one.

What chain? Who's Aeron? What the gently caress is a Master Flesh?

There's something fun about my brain making poo poo up to fit these things together. I swear I'm not being sarcastic.

Edit: Missed the second page. What the hell is a chain anchor and how do you free amber? :shrug:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

rydiafan posted:

The best thing about reading BioEnchanted's posts is the complete lack of context or explanation. They read as if he assumes you play these games too. I mean, look at this one.

What chain? Who's Aeron? What the gently caress is a Master Flesh?

There's something fun about my brain making poo poo up to fit these things together. I swear I'm not being sarcastic.

Edit: Missed the second page. What the hell is a chain anchor and how do you free amber? :shrug:

There are chains that hold the boss doors shut - to get in the door and fight the boss, you need to find where the chains are anchored at the ends of each chain by following them to the right doors, and smash the anchor. There are some mechanisms in the 5th tower that are encased/gummed up with solid amber, and you need to break it with the chain to get the mechanism's moving so you can reach the final chain and the boss door, but I missed one of them on the initial run through the tower. Sorry, forgot that there wasn't context for those points. Aeron is the player character, his quest is to collect the flesh of each tower's master to break the curse that is turning his girlfriend Elena into a monster over time - servant flesh (flesh of normal enemies) resets the timer and staves off the curse temporarily, 12 hunks of flesh from the 12 masters will break the curse entirely.

Also to be fair to me, that last post was an "If you do play it yourself bear this in mind" kind of post, so those who needed that information would have the proper context to understand it.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Nov 25, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BioEnchanted posted:

There are chains that hold the boss doors shut - to get in the door and fight the boss, you need to find where the chains are anchored at the ends of each chain by following them to the right doors, and smash the anchor. There are some mechanisms in the 5th tower that are encased/gummed up with solid amber, and you need to break it with the chain to get the mechanism's moving so you can reach the final chain and the boss door, but I missed one of them on the initial run through the tower. Sorry, forgot that there wasn't context for those points.

No no, the lack of context adds to the charm. Just keep doing what you're doing, it's great.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Sorry, forgot that there wasn't context for those points.

No, again I want to stress that I wasn't being sarcastic. Your posts read like the middle of a conversation with a friend who shares a love of these games, and so the lack of explanation is charming. It's legit my favorite part of reading your posts.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

No no, the lack of context adds to the charm. Just keep doing what you're doing, it's great.

This is what our parent's hear when we try to talk about games to them. Contextless buzzwords that leave them bewildered. Games are loving weird.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
He’s like that onion article, ask the players guide to Blood mansion commando.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

As a fan of Final Fantasy 5 I've been really digging how much of a love letter Bravely Default has seemed to be of it. I'm barely started on the game and I'm already overwhelmed by all the stuff it does extremely well.

Hard to put a single little thing from it but I love that the combination of enemy encounter rate control plus auto battle, battle speed control, brave system to get extra moves in the short term, and auto battle all together make grinding remarkably low effort.

Kind of a travesty it's exclusive to 3DS though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

rydiafan posted:

No, again I want to stress that I wasn't being sarcastic. Your posts read like the middle of a conversation with a friend who shares a love of these games, and so the lack of explanation is charming. It's legit my favorite part of reading your posts.

They read like diary entries. You don't need to explain yourself to yourself.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
To be fair im completely lost in any post talking about a game i never played and know nothing about. If youre talking about game mechanics using the game's terms its almost always gibberish.

Doubly so for japanese videogames.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

BioEnchanted that youtube video of you making weird mouth noises was extremely hilarious and it's a shame everyone is sleeping on it

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

GelatinSkeleton posted:

BioEnchanted that youtube video of you making weird mouth noises was extremely hilarious and it's a shame everyone is sleeping on it

BioEnchanted is the only reason any human would read this stupid thread and everything they post is art.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my favorite little thing in AC: Origins is that if you got a chariot and your dumb rear end fucks up and smashes it you can just get one of the horses that were pulling it and keep going

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
There's a thing about the very end of Pandora's Tower that I thought was straight up brilliant but I don't want to ruin BioEnchanted's fun. Hoping he clues into it the same as I did.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

There's a thing about the very end of Pandora's Tower that I thought was straight up brilliant but I don't want to ruin BioEnchanted's fun. Hoping he clues into it the same as I did.

I'm currently working off of several theories (that aren't mutually exclusive) as to where the plot may go -

1)Elena's Monster form is actually benign and will help fight the true final boss
2)The Family Elena is dreaming about built the towers to escape from the war, the curse happened to them and they became the first Masters
3)The Empire banned meat because they have a vested interest in the curse not being broken - Maybe it's aiding their stranglehold on the places that they have conquered to be the only way to stop the beasts, or maybe they haven't actually killed any of them like they've said but are trying to weaponise them

Don't tell me if any of those are right or wrong, that's my current impressions of likely twists. I am only about halfway through the game though, so they will likely change.

Holy crap, after beating the 5th tower, the remaining towers all unlock at once. I have ~options~ now. I think it's because I'd heard that the bad ending triggers after tower 5 if you don't have a good enough rapport with Elena, so that may just have been me avoiding that fate.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 06:39 on Nov 26, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Sonic Forces has now introduced, as free DLC, clothes for your original character celebrating the greatest piece of Sonic fan-content.

Yes, that one.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/934472087313506304

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

Sonic Forces has now introduced, as free DLC, clothes for your original character celebrating the greatest piece of Sonic fan-content.

Yes, that one.

I love that the verified official Sonic the Hedgehog twitter account felt the need to emphasise that it wasn't joking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Somfin posted:

I love that the verified official Sonic the Hedgehog twitter account felt the need to emphasise that it wasn't joking.

Let's be honest; Would you have believed them if they hadn't?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The boss of the Arcadia tower in Pandora's Tower is absolute bullshit. It's not even dying to the boss, it's how long it takes, it just ran out the clock by sitting in the light and healing, and not trying to throw bombs at me for me to throw back (to knock it back out of the light again) unless provoked. Also it's easy to accidentally hit it with one bomb knocking it out of the light, then another knocking it back into the light, completely undoing what your trying to do. The bombs can stun it by knocking it over if they do enough damage, but aiming them is such a crapshoot.

However I do like that if the timer runs out you get a full bad ending. That's pretty cool.

This is actually why I like that the other towers unlocked simultaneously - I can do poo poo in them and get their master flash, then come back to this boss significantly overpowered and try to overwhelm her Photosynthesis with raw damage, and someone on Gamefaqs was apparently able to do.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Nov 26, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Colossus mid-game spoilers

After all the flashbacks with BJs dad getting to take my trusty hatchet to him was pretty goddamned therapeutic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Len posted:

After all the flashbacks with BJs dad getting to take my trusty hatchet to him was pretty goddamned therapeutic.

I just did this level, and that was wonderfully cathartic. I was expecting to just pop him in the chest with a gun, but that was much, much, more satisfying.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I dont think I've ever hit a control so fast as when you get control back in that scene.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

One thing I'm curious about but don't think I could bring myself to do it you can't actually shoot your dog can you?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Len posted:

One thing I'm curious about but don't think I could bring myself to do it you can't actually shoot your dog can you?
lol

Unless I'm confusing it with something else, I remember a livestream where someone got to that point, very matter-of-factly shot the dog because he was trying to move the plot along, and the entire chat melted down in spectacular fashion

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Len posted:

One of the bits in that level i liked was the flashback where his dad helps him hunt the monsters in the basement. Its a nice contrast because it felt like there wasn't some sinister undertone to it like the others. Abusive parents can have their moments of positivity to make you think theyre not bad people, and so it was a humanizing touch.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Cleretic posted:

Yes, that one.

Serious question: did they ask the original artist for permission and pay him/her for this? “Sanic” is different enough in both name and appearance to be its own thing...right?

Hell, is the original “artist” even known? Were they like 6 when they drew that?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

timp posted:

Serious question: did they ask the original artist for permission and pay him/her for this? “Sanic” is different enough in both name and appearance to be its own thing...right?

Hell, is the original “artist” even known? Were they like 6 when they drew that?

We've got to go deeper.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I hosed up and it turns out The New Colossus is finally too new to run on my old CPU so I took Black Friday to get a big update ready. It'll be nice to go back and check all these spoilers.

For content, though: in Layton's Mystery Journey I found some kind of promo item code entry button in the game. Turns out there's a "Real World Puzzle Solving" site where puzzles that are released in meatspace get recorded for the larger internet community to solve, which is pretty neat (and sadly a lot of these puzzles feel more fun to solve than the ones in the game proper....). There's a roulette on the site where you can spend tickets you get from solving puzzles fast enough, and you can win little items to fill out a gallery; some of these items are even transferable to game, which is the aforementioned promo item code entry. There's an outfit for Katrielle and assumedly an item for each of the room decoration categories. :3:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

graybook posted:

I hosed up and it turns out The New Colossus is finally too new to run on my old CPU so I took Black Friday to get a big update ready. It'll be nice to go back and check all these spoilers.

Join us in the sister thread with things dragging it down because there's a few of us over there with some meh opinions on the game

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I'll always love with Get Even is it's unorthodox soundtrack - not only are the musical stings for the action sequences or the more surreal sequences very well synced with the action, but not in a Rhythm game kind of way, you still proceed at your own pace, is really satisfying to listen to, and some tracks are odd but in a way that works - like in the Graveyard level you have this bizarre Lyrical Pop-song that comes in whenever a firefight ensues which really throws you off, but it's because That memory is particularly corrupt so the entire thing is a total clusterfuck of clashing plot points that don't agree with each other.. It does really well with that aspect of it's presentation - I'm replaying it because I'm hoping it'll be my next Let's Play, although I may not be able to get the good ending as that is very tricky to get, so I may just have to post a video of that ending after the fact. (the hope is that this playthrough has done well enough to trigger the Good Ending, but if not ce la vie.)

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I'll always love with Get Even is it's unorthodox soundtrack - not only are the musical stings for the action sequences or the more surreal sequences very well synced with the action, but not in a Rhythm game kind of way, you still proceed at your own pace, is really satisfying to listen to, and some tracks are odd but in a way that works - like in the Graveyard level you have this bizarre Lyrical Pop-song that comes in whenever a firefight ensues which really throws you off, but it's because That memory is particularly corrupt so the entire thing is a total clusterfuck of clashing plot points that don't agree with each other.. It does really well with that aspect of it's presentation - I'm replaying it because I'm hoping it'll be my next Let's Play, although I may not be able to get the good ending as that is very tricky to get, so I may just have to post a video of that ending after the fact. (the hope is that this playthrough has done well enough to trigger the Good Ending, but if not ce la vie.)

I played this game shortly after you first posted about it and absolutely loved it despite some its flaws. The music is easily the best thing about this game.

https://youtu.be/BVl-8BL-PzU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Petit Gregory posted:

I played this game shortly after you first posted about it and absolutely loved it despite some its flaws. The music is easily the best thing about this game.

https://youtu.be/BVl-8BL-PzU

Glad to hear it. I just got the good ending, so now I know for sure that I can play well enough. I'll probably start the LP after Christmas because I have sooo much gushing to do about it. The bad ending is really loving satisfying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BioEnchanted posted:

Glad to hear it. I just got the good ending, so now I know for sure that I can play well enough. I'll probably start the LP after Christmas because I have sooo much gushing to do about it. The bad ending is really loving satisfying though.

Bio, can you give me the link to your LP playlists? And please tell me that you're doing an LP of that Mummy Returns game.