Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Venerable Primaris Deathwatch Hovermaster Megatank armed with Laserkiller Supermissiles and crewed by the finest Astra Astartes Glurpus Slurpus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boon posted:

I was going to pick up some Shadow Spectres since a unit of 6 cost the same as 6 Fire Dragons but it looks like the Chapter Approved jumped the cost of their weapons up by 10 points each.

So....

I guess Fire Dragons it is.

My fire dragons melt everything they point their guns at, and webway strike means they don't even need wave serpent transport now

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Corrode posted:

It would make sense to get Daemons done in Jan since they offer options for anything CHAOS, and then have some aliens and things to hunt aliens. I'm curious what we'll see model wise though - the DG well is dry, surely something new has to happen (please not more Primaris).

It seems pretty likely there will be a bunch of new nurgle daemons in January with the codex drop since they have been teasing the goddamn AOS nurgle book for like 4 months now

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zeal posted:

My fire dragons melt everything they point their guns at, and webway strike means they don't even need wave serpent transport now

Howe does bubble wrapping effect that? Also, I'm curious what the follow on turn looks like?

Still haven't played a game in 8th...

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Didn't they say daemons are out in december

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

chutche2 posted:

Didn't they say daemons are out in december

No, it's always been January.

Black_Nexus posted:

It seems pretty likely there will be a bunch of new nurgle daemons in January with the codex drop since they have been teasing the goddamn AOS nurgle book for like 4 months now

Ah yeah tons of Nurgle stuff would make sense. Plus there's that rumoured campaign supplement with Angron and friends.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Syncopated posted:

Is the turn-based Wh40k: Armageddon game any good? It's on sale on steam.

I didn't like it much. Not very interesting.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Von Humboldt posted:

I want to know why Heavy Quad Launchers got more expensive - they could have used a drop, honestly - and what the little asterisks beside a couple Renegade and Heretics units are. That's all I need to know. I'm dreaming of Militia Training.

I hate to crush your dreams, but an asterisk on many IG infantry units means 'if models from this unit form a heavy weapons team, there is no extra cost'. Seems likely to be the same for R&H equivalents.

Corrode posted:

The Ad Mech stuff is a bit weird. Because the options are very limited and generally expensive, the points drops aren't really enough - you just end up with a weird number of points left where you can't quite fit in anything useful. If I did a ground-up rewrite of a list maybe I'd get more out of it (and taking the Knight out might make it more granular too).

I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt because at least they're trying, and I'm mostly salty because I was taking all the stuff people complain about and surprise surprise it's all gone up. There does seem to be a tendency to pendulum swing too far the other way (like Conscripts), and I agree the only word I can think of for upping the cost of meltaguns is "mystifying" unless there's a meta I'm not aware of where people were taking shitloads of meltaguns instead of plasmas.

I agree with your (and Zuul's) opinion that what Admech needs is really more options. My AdMech playing mate's response when told of his infantry units' price drop was 'they're not robots, spider tanks or knights, so who cares?'

For the IG changes, I think meltaguns was just to bring them into line with plasma. I can't complain on paying the same for a meltagun as any BS3+ space marine does. But it's yet another example of the rules-writers lack of real understanding. They can see (when complained to) that plasma is better on the elite units. They can realise that melta is the same. But they can't really engage with why these are the premier options over flamers/grenade launchers etc. Across all armies, they can nerf the most well-known offenders, but they can't seem to predict why things are regarded as competitive or not.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Any news from open day?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boon posted:

Howe does bubble wrapping effect that? Also, I'm curious what the follow on turn looks like?

Still haven't played a game in 8th...

well, my first game with the new codex was yesterday, against nids

dire avenger and guardian base, falcon, dark reapers, war walker, autarch warlord, avatar, farseer and three warlocks on the board; karandras and a max striking scorpions squad hidden; fuegan and a max fire dragon squad in the webway

deployed the striking scorpion + fire dragon combo to counter the tyranid deep strike, which came in on turn 1. the raw firepower of the fire dragons is consistently enough to nuke any single large target, as well as most units of five models or less, especially with fuegan granting the squad reroll 1s. in this game they managed to kill a haruspex, tyrannocyte spore, squad of warriors, and I think they got the killing blow on a much-mauled trygon. if the nid player hadn't shaken out they were about to bring down the tervigon. with a quicken/restrain warlock around to raise their net move to jetbike speeds they can be everywhere they need to, especially when you need to get a few extra inches to bring a deeply bubble-wrapped target in range. it's a waste to get them into close combat for any reason other than the maneuver potential of a charge move though, so i used other units and close combat characters as charge screens. a+ space elves

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TKIY posted:

Any news from open day?

Basically just the Orlocks from Necromunda, who granted do look loving rad.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TKIY posted:

Any news from open day?

Just the Necromunda stuff (Orlocks, new board pieces, Gang War 2, release schedule) and the easy to build stuff they were pushed to reveal early by the leaks. Probably saving any big announcements for tomorrow.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Are the new Necromundy boards stand-alone, or in another box set?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

BloodRed posted:

Are the new Necromundy boards stand-alone, or in another box set?

Stand alone set.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Genghis Cohen posted:

I agree with your (and Zuul's) opinion that what Admech needs is really more options. My AdMech playing mate's response when told of his infantry units' price drop was 'they're not robots, spider tanks or knights, so who cares?'

For the IG changes, I think meltaguns was just to bring them into line with plasma. I can't complain on paying the same for a meltagun as any BS3+ space marine does. But it's yet another example of the rules-writers lack of real understanding. They can see (when complained to) that plasma is better on the elite units. They can realise that melta is the same. But they can't really engage with why these are the premier options over flamers/grenade launchers etc. Across all armies, they can nerf the most well-known offenders, but they can't seem to predict why things are regarded as competitive or not.

Yeah I think there's still a disconnect where the writers are now actively trying to get involved in the idea of competitive play and to try and cater to that demographic, but they're not themselves particularly inclined towards it or the mentality that comes with it. The special weapons are an excellent case in point.

For Scions you have the choice between plasma/melta/flamer/grenade launcher.

Plasma guns - ridiculous at launch. 7pts/model for 2 shots at S7/8, AP-3 and D1/2. The main risk of overcharging is mitigated by the order system. Absolute no brainer. At 13pts they were still probably an automatic first choice, but against a 12pt melta gun you might take the latter.

Melta guns - overpriced compared to plasma initially, no contest. After the plasma increase, 12pt/model for 1 shot at S8 Ap-4 DD6 is at least a choice. Scions are unlikely to get a huge benefit from the Melta part thanks to the deep strike rules. You'd probably prefer a plasma gun on average but I was taking a squad with 2 meltas and they were doing fine, and they're less at risk from stuff with -1 to hit. Melta weapons in general are suffering a bit from wanting them not to be auto-picks but having no good ideas how to make them sometimes-picks.

Flamers - I'm not sure I'd take them on Scions even if they were free. Your primary method for getting Scions in range is DS, which is too far for them to hit. Your chances of getting a second shooting phase with them are poor. You waste the BS3+. You might even say they're more valuable on regular Infantry Squads than on Scions since the former are more likely to fire the thing (since they'll be using it reactively rather than Scions which want to be proactive) and have worse BS to begin with.

Grenade launchers - what the gently caress is the point of grenade launchers? I took one on an infantry squad once because I had 5pts I couldn't fill, and even then I forgot I had it. No-one's known what to do with GLs for a decade+. I can't imagine ever equipping Scions with them. Imagine investing the 48pts into a squad of Scions and then taking 2 GLs instead of 2 plasma guns. Bitz sites must be flooded with them.

So you have 4 choices, except 1 is a trap choice wherever it shows up, 1 has absolutely no place on the platform it's on, and the other two were out of whack because the points were so different. Once they made the points costs make more sense melta/plasma became a choice, which still favoured plasma. So their reaction was to make no changes to the trap choice, ignore the entire question of flamers, and make meltas 42% more expensive. These aren't the actions of writers with a strong grasp of the issues at hand.

I'm not sure what explanation they'd give for why you'd ever take GLs or flamers. I'm not sure they know.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 25, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Using the Calth marines (three squads of ten tactical-equivalents) what's a good idea for a Black Templars configuration? I've never played a charging aggressive melee army before so I'm not sure what to give them with regards to heavy/special weapons, do I just want to play them as six five-man Crusader squads or something?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Yeah I think there's still a disconnect where the writers are now actively trying to get involved in the idea of competitive play and to try and cater to that demographic, but they're not themselves particularly inclined towards it or the mentality that comes with it. The special weapons are an excellent case in point.

For Scions you have the choice between plasma/melta/flamer/grenade launcher.

Plasma guns - ridiculous at launch. 7pts/model for 2 shots at S7/8, AP-3 and D1/2. The main risk of overcharging is mitigated by the order system. Absolute no brainer. At 13pts they were still probably an automatic first choice, but against a 12pt melta gun you might take the latter.

Melta guns - overpriced compared to plasma initially, no contest. After the plasma increase, 12pt/model for 1 shot at S8 Ap-4 DD6 is at least a choice. Scions are unlikely to get a huge benefit from the Melta part thanks to the deep strike rules. You'd probably prefer a plasma gun on average but I was taking a squad with 2 meltas and they were doing fine, and they're less at risk from stuff with -1 to hit. Melta weapons in general are suffering a bit from wanting them not to be auto-picks but having no good ideas how to make them sometimes-picks.

Flamers - I'm not sure I'd take them on Scions even if they were free. Your primary method for getting Scions in range is DS, which is too far for them to hit. Your chances of getting a second shooting phase with them are poor. You waste the BS3+. You might even say they're more valuable on regular Infantry Squads than on Scions since the former are more likely to fire the thing (since they'll be using it reactively rather than Scions which want to be proactive) and have worse BS to begin with.

Grenade launchers - what the gently caress is the point of grenade launchers? I took one on an infantry squad once because I had 5pts I couldn't fill, and even then I forgot I had it. No-one's known what to do with GLs for a decade+. I can't imagine ever equipping Scions with them. Imagine investing the 48pts into a squad of Scions and then taking 2 GLs instead of 2 plasma guns. Bitz sites must be flooded with them.

So you have 4 choices, except 1 is a trap choice wherever it shows up, 1 has absolutely no place on the platform it's on, and the other two were out of whack because the points were so different. Once they made the points costs make more sense melta/plasma became a choice, which still favoured plasma. So their reaction was to make no changes to the trap choice, ignore the entire question of flamers, and make meltas 42% more expensive. These aren't the actions of writers with a strong grasp of the issues at hand.

No love for volleyguns? They always seem to get talked up.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

No love for volleyguns? They always seem to get talked up.

Oh I forgot about those. Mine turned into plasma guns (thanks Naramyth).

Volley guns are great on Taurox Primes. Cheap, high RoF, good AP. Great for clearing out infantry of all stripes. They pair really well with the gatling cannon.

You could conceivably take them on Scions too, but they're Heavy so you probably don't want to move or DS, and the other dudes in the squad aren't much good at anti-infantry unless you have a big squad at close range. I guess if I wanted to take a 10 man squad with 4 volley guns and sit them in the backfield kicking out 16 S4 AP-2 shots isn't the worst thing they could do, but for 118pts you can get another Taurox Prime to do the job better.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Not really related to current events, but could someone explain in detail how Tau Saviour Protocols work? The Tau guy who I play against tends to extremely generous interpretations of the rule. I have a few specific cases I'm curious about:

- Tau unit targeted by regular attack, let's say a lascannon, doing 6 damage.
- Tau unit targeted by Smite, doing more than one damage.
- Tau unit targeted by a shooting attack that does multiple mortal wounds per shot, say a Soulburner.

In which cases, and in what way, do the mortal wounds roll over?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I like command squads with 4 GLs. I put them with my company commander to babysit him in the backfield with heavy weapon squads. Full effectiveness at 24 inches instead of half effectiveness, and either 4d6 lasgun shots or 4 d3 damage krak grenades works out pretty well. GLs have their uses I feel. But for regular BS4+ guardsmen I always give them flamers or nothing.

Volley guns are fine even if you move, a bunch of S4 ap-2 shots hitting on 4s is still good. I like them a lot. My scions use a mix of plasma and volley guns.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Syncopated posted:

It’s a panzer general reskin if that means anything to you. I thought it was worth the $20 or whatever when I played through it on my iPad.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Gilgameshback posted:

Not really related to current events, but could someone explain in detail how Tau Saviour Protocols work? The Tau guy who I play against tends to extremely generous interpretations of the rule. I have a few specific cases I'm curious about :

- Tau unit targeted by regular attack, let's say a lascannon, doing 6 damage.
- Tau unit targeted by Smite, doing more than one damage.
- Tau unit targeted by a shooting attack that does multiple mortal wounds per shot, say a Soulburner.

In which cases, and in what way, do the mortal wounds roll over?

First off: Savior Protocol happens before the Armor/Invuln save is taken. The Lascannon hasn't rolled for damage yet, so the single hit is converted into a single mortal wound.

Second: I'm pretty sure Savior Protocol can't happen against psychic powers, but the language to back that one up is... iffy.

Third: One mortal wound for the normal attack damage, one mortal wound for each other mortal wound generated. Pretty sure. Each mortal wound still counts as a "wound" for the purposes of allocating wounds, which is when Savior Protocol triggers.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
IG got kicked right in the fork

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Official Open Day news from Warhammer Community.

Release Dates for Bangles and Dangles.

Blood Angels are pre-order the 2nd and released the 9th. Dark Angels are pre-order the 9th and release the 16th.

Technowolf fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 25, 2017

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

No jet bikes, huh? That sucks.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Phyresis posted:

IG got kicked right in the fork

Can't have the grunts outshine the Marines. :sigh:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Am I blind or did CSM chainfists drop to 14 points each while SM ones stayed at 22?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

raverrn posted:

No jet bikes, huh? That sucks.

The big reveal stuff is probably tomorrow. There was a rumor that The Lion was going to be revealed.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Now that Shadow Spectres are probably too expensive, it looks like shining Spears are the way to go.

Too bad-specters are so pretty.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DeceasedHorse posted:

Now that Shadow Spectres are probably too expensive, it looks like shining Spears are the way to go.

And Shining Spears are so ugly (well, the riders themselves are still nice from 3rd, but the bikes are the remaining 2nd ed bikes)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I didn't see Magaera prices fixed, am I overlooking something or is this just more FW hilarity?

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Syncopated posted:

I think it's a neat single player strategy game with some progression elements for the campaign(s). If you don't like old school turn based gameplay I couldn't recommend it however.

In other news, I got to try out the new 'Nid dex today, trying out 2000 points of Leviathan against 2000 points of Kronos.
The table, top of turn 2:

We rolled Big Guns Never Tire with Vanguard deployment. After five turns my opponent conceded since it was very clear he wasn't going to be able to contest more than one objective at that point, and I had scored a bunch of VPs from secondary objectives already. Some thoughts:

1) The Malanthrope points increase hurts, but it's still a take for me I think. It can do stuff Venomthropes can't(Prey Adaptation) and it's not like I have a bunch of Venomthropes lying around for replacing the same support niche anyway.

2) Definitely staying with Rending Claws/Toxin Sacs for my Tyrant after trying it out. Maybe if I try the Behemoth Adaptation I'll try an Obliterax combo.

3) Holy poo poo 30 Devourer Termagants in a Trygon tunnel is bonkers

4) Holy poo poo did the Tyrannofex Acid Spray/Rupture Cannon pair murder stuff. Holy gently caress! :black101:

edit: 5) My opponent had very few artillery organisms (just a unit of converted biovores, no Exocrines/Tyrannofexes) that really would benefit from the Kronos adapation which helps to explain why I won, but the Kronos Stratagem is very good for shutting down an enemy power!

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 25, 2017

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Corrode posted:

IG special weapon stuff

I'm fine with certain special weapon choices being better for different units. Side effect of this 'armoury' system of choices. It's fine for weapons to be a consistent price across the army, and yeah, that means mobile or deep striking units don't take heavy weapons while static support squads don't really benefit from short range stuff - I don't really consider that a big drawback, I can see your point that it's something of a trap for new players, but people do find their way through the game and learn from friends/opponents. Definitely agree with things like grenade launchers, they are just anemic and have been for living memory.

I really like(d) melta guns anyway. I understand that statistically, overcharged plasma is probably better (2 shots D2) than melta (1 shot Dd6) and chimes better with the Scions' trait, if you can get them into their own detachment. But the damage spike for melta can be terrific and I really liked it. Also, 1s with re-rolls is a mitigated risk, but I still generally lose a model once every couple of volleys. No reason for them to bump the melta price though.

DeceasedHorse posted:

Shining Spears loving rule dude. They are mobile, not actually too fragile for their points against most weapons, they hit like a ton of bricks and there are tons of stratagems, buffs and psychic powers that work great for them. I haven't even been using windriders in my Saim Hann army. Just Vypers and Shining Spears.

Edit:
Re 30 devourer gaunts in a trygon tunnel: this absolutely wrecked my poo poo last game. Terrifying unit.

Genghis Cohen fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 25, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I feel like a loving chump for buying a hardcopy of the Imperial Guard Codex now.

Within 10 days it got FAQ'd to change the way Comissars & conscripts work, and now all the points have changed for many units, less than 2 months later.

So does GW keep printing the codecies with wrong rules and points, or do they do a re-print?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It's the no-win situation. They issue FAQs and adjustments and people get angry about outdating codexes.

They issue no FAQs or adjustments and people get angry about balance and typos.

The real solution is to go to a living digital ruleset but there is no money in that.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Yeast posted:

I feel like a loving chump for buying a hardcopy of the Imperial Guard Codex now.

Within 10 days it got FAQ'd to change the way Comissars & conscripts work, and now all the points have changed for many units, less than 2 months later.

So does GW keep printing the codecies with wrong rules and points, or do they do a re-print?

I have yet to actually build a list for Tyranids with the new points costs in the codex, but I still feel like I get enough out of the book that it was worth it. If you're just buying a codex for the points cost, why loving bother? Just wait two weeks for BattleScribe to update, that's when you'll get to use it in any kind of sanctioned tournament anyway.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Tarantulas base price doubled surely that's enough

Oh it did? Yeah that would work.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Yeast posted:

I have noted the new points cost in my index, its a pain in the backside but manageable. I prefer they release this type of update to leaving some armies in outdated codex limbo.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, just print out a copy of the new points costs. You only need them for list construction, not playing the game so them not being in the physical book doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Boon posted:

And Shining Spears are so ugly (well, the riders themselves are still nice from 3rd, but the bikes are the remaining 2nd ed bikes)

Yeah, I’m going with ghost miniatures, I dislike the actual GW models.

I thought about kitbashing high elf dragon princes or similar lancer models with windriders but the death of fantasy made getting the lance bits uneconomical