Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He does know his stuff, but i still wanted to see him swear. They never even show the rear valve cover off. They show 2 valve covers and 24 lifters on the bench, but never the car.

I think they faked it :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of Edd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siIBLtOJk70

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My mother doesn't know how to answer simple questions. I call to verify that she's ready to place the order for parts for her new computer she's having me build, and she launches into this 10 20 30 minute lecture of the calculus of her excel spreadsheets and tax writeoff optimization and why she wants to wait for the next billing cycle or maybe order the couple parts with black friday deals and then wait until she decides whether or not to ask for a pay advance yadda yadda yadda.

All of which can be summed up as PLACE ORDER Y/N.

God bless 'er.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Nah, just admit defeat when you are wrong (and omg apologize), and stand your ground when you're not.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Enourmo posted:

My mother doesn't know how to answer simple questions. I call to verify that she's ready to place the order for parts for her new computer she's having me build, and she launches into this 10 20 30 minute lecture of the calculus of her excel spreadsheets and tax writeoff optimization and why she wants to wait for the next billing cycle or maybe order the couple parts with black friday deals and then wait until she decides whether or not to ask for a pay advance yadda yadda yadda.

All of which can be summed up as PLACE ORDER Y/N.

God bless 'er.

Why would you self-build a budget PC? Out of the box will be much cheaper and just as serviceable.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seminal Flu posted:

Why would you self-build a budget PC? Out of the box will be much cheaper and just as serviceable.

Because I can get her a 2 TB HDD plus an SSD for the OS, with minimal specs everywhere else, for the same price as the cheapest possible prebuilt I could find with 2 TB, which doesn't have an SSD. She saw my laptop boot from dead in like 5 seconds and her jaw dropped, so SSD is a fairly solid requirement.

Sure I could drop one into a prebuilt, but at that point it's $90 on top of the prebuilt to end up with essentially the same computer, and most of them with that amount of storage have ridiculous graphics cards and amounts of RAM that she'll never use.

Her current computer, identical to mine that I replaced last year, is absolutely massive, and keeps her room a steady 5-10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house, so just putting bigger hard drives in the current one isn't really an option either.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you build it, everything with that machine will be your problem. Forever.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

She's just computer-savvy enough that I trust all those problems to be actual problems, not "I clicked a menu and all my stuff's in the wrong place, come put it back". She's done enough for me that I don't mind it.

E: like, in the 6 years she's had the current computer, the only issues I've had to fix were installing the hard drive from her previous computer, and replacing a dead power supply with the one from my old computer a few months back.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's too bad F1 can't make things more competitive, the last 3 races seem to happen after the championship has been decided.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's too bad F1 can't make things more competitive, the last 3 races seem to happen after the championship has been decided.

F1 has been terrible for a few years. Mercedes, for whatever reason, operates like its cars are in a different class. It's like watching 3 classes of cars race at the same time. It's terrible and sad. But next year, they get unicorn horns, so... welp.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Seriously kicking myself for falling for a phishing scam pretending that my whatsapp needed renewing.
Fortunately my online banking has a requirement that if you try and transfer money to a new person they put a pincode on the screen and then phone your mobile and ask for the pin as verification.
I first knew something was up when my phone number had been deactivated (apparently I'd phoned up early in the morning to report my phone was lost)
Then when it twigged the connection between my phone and my bank I tried logging in to my bank to find that the site couldn't verify my account with my log in details.
Phoned the bank who asked if I'd already tried calling earlier in the day and when I said nope they completely locked down my account and said I'd have to go into a branch with ID to unlock it again.

Such a major pain in the arse and I've nobody to blame but myself for falling for an obvious scam - I even remarked at the time how it was odd that I had to use my debit card and not credit card to pay the 99p
At least nothing was actually taken from my accounts

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

freelop posted:

Seriously kicking myself for falling for a phishing scam pretending that my whatsapp needed renewing.
Fortunately my online banking has a requirement that if you try and transfer money to a new person they put a pincode on the screen and then phone your mobile and ask for the pin as verification.
I first knew something was up when my phone number had been deactivated (apparently I'd phoned up early in the morning to report my phone was lost)
Then when it twigged the connection between my phone and my bank I tried logging in to my bank to find that the site couldn't verify my account with my log in details.
Phoned the bank who asked if I'd already tried calling earlier in the day and when I said nope they completely locked down my account and said I'd have to go into a branch with ID to unlock it again.

Such a major pain in the arse and I've nobody to blame but myself for falling for an obvious scam - I even remarked at the time how it was odd that I had to use my debit card and not credit card to pay the 99p
At least nothing was actually taken from my accounts

Tbh I pay so little attention to things that go on around me that I'm surprised something like this hasn't happened to me yet. Stay safe my friend

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

freelop posted:

Your Forums password might be compromised, too. Post it in here and we'll check if it's okay.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Powershift posted:

Your Forums password might be compromised, too. Post it in here and we'll check if it's okay.

Oh poo poo good idea

It's PTCruiserfan88 is it alright?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Huh, all I see is *************

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A friend of mine has access to a database of phished credit card numbers, lemme get yours and check if it's in there

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Equifax probably put most of it out there already anyways.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Seminal Flu posted:

F1 has been terrible for a few years. Mercedes, for whatever reason, operates like its cars are in a different class. It's like watching 3 classes of cars race at the same time. It's terrible and sad. But next year, they get unicorn horns, so... welp.

Watch MotoGP, probably the best racing going on anywhere right now.

The season is over, but you can sign up on their website and they will remind you for each race for the upcoming seaon. Yo can watch on TV if you have the beIN channel, or you can pay a reasonable fee for the season and watch all the races online.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Watch MotoGP, probably the best racing going on anywhere right now.

The season is over, but you can sign up on their website and they will remind you for each race for the upcoming seaon. Yo can watch on TV if you have the beIN channel, or you can pay a reasonable fee for the season and watch all the races online.

Spoiler: Marquez is going to win everything for the next 15 years

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I had to make a quick trip to Home Depot this afternoon. I overheard an old woman asking if they had any 'Pee-niney Axes' she could buy for her son for Christmas. Just when you thought you'd heard it all.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

freelop posted:

Since when does WhatsApp cost money? That would have been what twigged me to it!

Glad you didn't get hurt beyond the inconvenience of it all though, at least as far as you know so far. Good luck getting everything working again.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

I had to make a quick trip to Home Depot this afternoon. I overheard an old woman asking if they had any 'Pee-niney Axes' she could buy for her son for Christmas. Just when you thought you'd heard it all.

You should havestepped in and told her the Pee-niney Axe is outdated, what everybody wants these days is an 8 pound splitting maul.

He'd probably get far more use out of it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

With my luck she would have heard 8 lb Spitting Mall

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

If you build it, everything with that machine will be your problem. Forever.

I mean, I get that, which is why I don't build for anyone else anymore if I can avoid it... But I get where he's coming from because I'm in the same boat with my mom. Except she only upgrades when something motherboard / CPU / RAM fails. I never bother diagnosing further at that point because when that happens, I don't have any similarly old hardware to swap it out with.

Also, Ragnarok was awesome.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Vehicles with electrical systems can gently caress right off. Had to jump my car yesterday cause the battery went flat overnight, then I took the bike to get fuel and it's also flat to the point I can't even push start it. I'm now sitting in the shade trying to escape the 30 degree heat while waiting for a lift so I can get my trailer and hope the car held a charge. At least the bicycles always work.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ephphatha posted:

At least the bicycles always work.

He said, resignedly, moments before the chain snapped.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ephphatha posted:

Vehicles with electrical systems can gently caress right off. Had to jump my car yesterday cause the battery went flat overnight, then I took the bike to get fuel and it's also flat to the point I can't even push start it. I'm now sitting in the shade trying to escape the 30 degree heat while waiting for a lift so I can get my trailer and hope the car held a charge. At least the bicycles always work.

I see you haven't met me.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I had the battery die on my bicycle during a ride not too long ago. But it cuts off the front derailleur first so I was just stuck in the little ring and had rear shifting still all the way home.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 26, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
WRC with the new cars was very good this year.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Thanksgiving in the woods.

Sous Vide turkey loving owns.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

nm posted:

I see you haven't met me.

You've got an uncanny ability to break bikes though. The only thing I've managed to break was a single rear spoke and at least that was still rideable. Plenty of flats as well but tubeless and carrying a pump everywhere seems to ward those off.

Now that I've acknowledged it I expect a chain to snap in the near future.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm starting to get sucked in to BotW. I mean, if the 40 hours in the last two weeks hasn't shown that enough.

E: whoa imgur what the gently caress did you do to the aspect ratio

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 26, 2017

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I've been watching people on youtube rip apart Nissan Leaf battery packs and do neat things with them and now its got me :thunk:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Coredump posted:

I've been watching people on youtube rip apart Nissan Leaf battery packs and do neat things with them and now its got me :thunk:

Don't watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fU18Up8t4E

You'll realize what the motors are good for, too, that can't end well.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

rdb posted:

Thats scary stuff, but if it is meningitis it sounds like they are going to catch it pretty early, and that is a very good thing.

Lost my son to bacterial meningitis earlier this year. By the time we got him to an ER that suspected it his brain was too swollen to do a puncture and figure out what was causing it.

rdb posted:

Thats scary stuff, but if it is meningitis it sounds like they are going to catch it pretty early, and that is a very good thing.

Lost my son to bacterial meningitis earlier this year. By the time we got him to an ER that suspected it his brain was too swollen to do a puncture and figure out what was causing it.

I'm so sorry dude :(

She's doing better today but drat. It came on pretty quick and she's a doctor, who was doing doctor stuff with other doctors and it almost got missed.

Pretty much all of her family is medical so I'm the only dummy sitting here with no idea what anyone is talking about.

The hospital is about 2 hours away from home, which is good because the local hospital sucks and this one is good. It's making for a bit of a commute at the moment though.

Anyways, just brain dumping in the chat thread sorry

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wrar posted:

WRC with the new cars was very good this year.

In person they are a mindfuck. I said earlier it's liek Group B reborn - I withdraw that because the new cars just simply do thing no rally car before them could do with some amazing agility, these cars are something truly new and exciting. I've seen Group B cars at full tilt and the noise is shockingly amazing.... tht's the only thing they have on the new cars.

Everyone needs to get up close to the new cars before they get banned. They are THAT fast, I cant see the formula existing for too many years.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

freelop posted:

Oh poo poo good idea

It's PTCruiserfan88 is it alright?

Weird, you and Rhyno both have the same password!

:siren: Serious talk, those of you who have been using imgur for awhile... someone apparently got their password db a few years ago, and they just learned of that recently.. also learned someone had brute forced a large number of passwords in the db. :siren: I got an email from haveibeenpwned yesterday, and an email from imgur today.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, I get that, which is why I don't build for anyone else anymore if I can avoid it... But I get where he's coming from because I'm in the same boat with my mom. Except she only upgrades when something motherboard / CPU / RAM fails. I never bother diagnosing further at that point because when that happens, I don't have any similarly old hardware to swap it out with.

My mom's the same way. Though even with the new-to-her i5-2500k (just the cpu.. she had a low end sandy bridge i3 before), her system is still... sluggish. I'm sure part of it is the ancient Windows 7 installation, but that thing is just begging for a SSD.

Ironically, my own system is running older, first gen i5 hardware now (the mobo got fried in my old build, everything else was fine, so she got my old CPU, and I had this stuff in a closet). I have RAM I can swap, and her old i3 CPU is still at the house, but my current CPU and motherboard are old enough to have seen first-run Buffy episodes. Photoshop is a little painful.

Enourmo posted:

She's just computer-savvy enough that I trust all those problems to be actual problems, not "I clicked a menu and all my stuff's in the wrong place, come put it back". She's done enough for me that I don't mind it.

E: like, in the 6 years she's had the current computer, the only issues I've had to fix were installing the hard drive from her previous computer, and replacing a dead power supply with the one from my old computer a few months back.

This. Mom's PC has Teamviewer on it (but it's set NOT to start at boot; she has to start it before I can login - this is more for my peace of mind, I don't need someone brute-forcing their way into system), so if something goes wrong, but the system is still running, I can take a look at it from home. I also have 2 HDDs in it - one of them gets a backup made nightly, but now that Crashplan is disappearing, I need to figure out something else (preferably something off-site).

Her PC is... uh... well the case is 8 years old, so is the DVD-RW. It got new everything-else about 5 years ago after a storm - system still ran, but constant BSODs, even after replacing everything except for the motherboard and CPU. Made sure to put in a sandy bridge i3 at the time, which just paid off - the sandy bridge i5 2500k from my now-dead system lives on in her PC as of a week ago, with a modest overclock (3.8 vs stock 3.3). It's made a noticeable difference to me, a SSD will make a much bigger difference.

When she bought the system, I steered her toward something with standard components - at the time it wound up being a CompUSA store brand Celeron w/2GB (which I swapped out for 4GB) - think we paid $300 for it? The OEM Win7 key it came with activated fine when I rebuilt it with newer stuff, though I made sure to use the same brand of motherboard (MSI) just in case it was tied to the board brand. She's not THAT computer savvy, but she knows enough to get around the PC, and knows when she needs to call me (and 99% of the time she does call me for a PC issue, it's something that makes me hit the Googles to figure out WTF happened). The only reason she's still running Win7 is because she doesn't want to pay for a newer version of Quickbooks (2010 apparently won't run on 8 or 10?). She also refuses to give up Office 2010, even though I have a 5 PC license for 2016. :sigh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

:siren: Serious talk, those of you who have been using imgur for awhile... someone apparently got their password db a few years ago, and they just learned of that recently.. also learned someone had brute forced a large number of passwords in the db. :siren: I got an email from haveibeenpwned yesterday, and an email from imgur today.

And this is why all of my passwords are unique and randomly generated. Goddamn.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

The Locator posted:

Since when does WhatsApp cost money? That would have been what twigged me to it!

Glad you didn't get hurt beyond the inconvenience of it all though, at least as far as you know so far. Good luck getting everything working again.

It did when I first started using it but I rationalised it as a glitch hadn't made me pay in years so it was time to cough up.
I'm treating it as a reminder to not be dumb and brush off feelings of suspicion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

KozmoNaut posted:

And this is why all of my passwords are unique and randomly generated. Goddamn.

I'm finally getting there. Took long enough for me to get a phone with a fingerprint reader.... at least now I can have a password manager handle most poo poo, so long as I have access to my phone or PC.

• Locked thread