Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Starshark posted:

There was an old dude who walked right in the middle of my high school, took his dick out, and had a piss in front of everyone. Turns out he had dementia. :(

I heard that guy got a pretty big job in politics somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

This one's fun because you can interpret the Trump FCC as either pulling the plug to end A Free Internet or plugging it in to restore it.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Republicans posted:

This one's fun because you can interpret the Trump FCC as either pulling the plug to end A Free Internet or plugging it in to restore it.

Well only an idiot would think Trump's FCC is restoring A Free Internet. Don't know much about Wolverton, but this thread has not given me high hopes about any given political cartoonist not being an idiot

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Why is the ethernet cord plugged into an electrical outlet?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Brainamp posted:

I think that's supposed to be a mac-style power cord. They look more or less like that, and that's where they are on the laptop

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Kaza42 posted:

Well only an idiot would think Trump's FCC is restoring A Free Internet. Don't know much about Wolverton, but this thread has not given me high hopes about any given political cartoonist not being an idiot

It's free in the libertarian "why shouldn't I be free to gently caress over everyone else?" Sense.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

How is Santa pooping in a chimney misogynist? Seems like a joke that would work with any gender.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

gowb posted:

How is Santa pooping in a chimney misogynist? Seems like a joke that would work with any gender.

Bottomline is Santa is a sex pervert.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

gowb posted:

There's the broken dick carrot that fell off the snowman, I guess. And check out her teeth! He loves drawing her hideously.

It's more 'he made this cartoon at least partially because he is misogynist' and less 'this cartoon, in a vacuum, is wildly misogynist'. It's got nothing on his other options though (:nws: and :nms: for old lady baby boobs)

Prism fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 26, 2017

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
I was putting the sliced in half carrot dick and Hillary's knife together.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

Most right-wingers are either idiots or actively lying about Net Neutrality.

This incredibly stupid Branco seems to think Net Neutrality is a law yet to be enacted as opposed to the poo poo has always been.

Meanwhile Allie claims Net Neutrality is bad because....government?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SwingShift posted:

What I'm trying to get at is, dudes, if you gotta piss and just Can Not Wait like the majority of humans do, please go down an alley or behind some bushes or something because I don't want to see you pissing in public. Also there are plenty of kids and teens running around this area so that was a bad call to make anyway.
I guess I’ll go a slightly different direction and say that people know what pissing looks like and that’s not the main issue, but rather that you’re leaving sticky smelly yellow liquid right where a bunch of people need to walk.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Starshark posted:

There was an old dude who walked right in the middle of my high school, took his dick out, and had a piss in front of everyone. Turns out he had dementia. :(
The President visited your high school?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

GOP pundits in the media keep spinning away from guns as the source of people dying, even though the evidence is clear, AGC.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Prism posted:

And check out her teeth! He loves drawing her hideously.

That's just the way he draws everyone.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Pants Donkey posted:

This incredibly stupid Branco seems to think Net Neutrality is a law yet to be enacted as opposed to the poo poo has always been.

For a long time the right wing definition of Net Neutrality has been the broadcast fairness doctrine but for the Internet, so you have to believe that before Branco etc al. make sense.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Brainamp posted:

http://www.fiftythree.org/etherkiller/

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Pants Donkey posted:

I just noticed the dude's shirt says "innovation" so at this point Allie is just taking the loving piss

e: or possibly there some sort of faraday cage metaphor going on here but I'm not really willing to give him that much benefit of the doubt

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Santa making GBS threads down a chimney is great, but come on, St. Nicholas would be dropping logs at down at Maralago.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

Things Branco doesn't understand:

-Net neutrality
-The internet
-Computers
-Electricity?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Pants Donkey posted:

The Cartoonist Still Has No Idea How Net Neutrality Works

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Glazier posted:

For a long time the right wing definition of Net Neutrality has been the broadcast fairness doctrine but for the Internet, so you have to believe that before Branco etc al. make sense.

Wasn't the fairness doctrine a good thing though since it's what kept them honest by force?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What the hell? That isn't offensive or anything!

edit: it actually looks like it belongs on the comics page now.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 26, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

Wasn't the fairness doctrine a good thing though since it's what kept them honest by force?

The Fairness Doctrine stifled news innovation, thus was bad.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Fairness Doctrine stifled news innovation, thus was bad.

If by "news innovation" you mean the ability to lie through your teeth without consequence, then that's the kind of innovation that needs to be stifled to oblivion. I don't want "innovation", I want loving journalistic honesty and integrity.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 26, 2017

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Chimera-gui posted:

If by "news innovation" you mean the ability to lie through your teeth without consequence, then that's the kind of innovation that needs to be stifled to oblivion. I don't want "innovation", I want loving journalistic honesty and integrity.

I don't know if government-mandated integrity in reporting would work, though. When governments try to control the media and the arts, they usually just find creative ways around it (possibly one exception being the Chinese media, but I haven't studied it in depth).

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

To see the first harbingers, those sugar cookie bingers/ sipping on ginger/ which no scrooge-spirit can injure/ with lists of worthy and whingers.

It's not easiest work to rhyme, but it's not exactly purple or orange.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Starshark posted:

I don't know if government-mandated integrity in reporting would work, though. When governments try to control the media and the arts, they usually just find creative ways around it (possibly one exception being the Chinese media, but I haven't studied it in depth).

might as well not make any laws ever, then

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 26, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

"stifles innovation" is the stock response people in favor of gutting regulations so they can commit wholesale crime give.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

might as well not make any laws ever, then

All you're going to do is make the government look repressive. I mean, if this is the particular windmill you want to tilt at, go ahead, but don't say I didn't warn you.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Starshark posted:

All you're going to do is make the government look repressive. I mean, if this is the particular windmill you want to tilt at, go ahead, but don't say I didn't warn you.

while 'truth in reporting' laws have storied history of abuse and misuse, i think fox news and other propaganda efforts show that news organizations with zero commitment to truth have a corrosive effect on democracy and on free society. without some level of moderation or administration i think this is inevitable. admittedly, you'd have to make your desired bar of proof very high to avoid abuse by Trump-like administrations or any other administration that would make disagreeing with the government 'lying' or 'propaganda'.

it is a complex topic, but i think that 'they'll find ways around it' is the worst argument against integrity laws. News is an always-on endeavor and no 'weird trick to avoid the fairness doctrine' is going to hold up all the time.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Jonas Albrecht posted:

"stifles innovation" is the stock response people in favor of gutting regulations so they can commit wholesale crime give.

Hence why that is the exact kind of "innovation" the world can do well without in my honest opinion.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

while 'truth in reporting' laws have storied history of abuse and misuse, i think fox news and other propaganda efforts show that news organizations with zero commitment to truth have a corrosive effect on democracy and on free society. without some level of moderation or administration i think this is inevitable. admittedly, you'd have to make your desired bar of proof very high to avoid abuse by Trump-like administrations or any other administration that would make disagreeing with the government 'lying' or 'propaganda'.

it is a complex topic, but i think that 'they'll find ways around it' is the worst argument against integrity laws. News is an always-on endeavor and no 'weird trick to avoid the fairness doctrine' is going to hold up all the time.

Pretty much this. While potential abuse is a legitimate concern, there is ample proof that the alternative is far, far worst for society in the long term as there is simply no value in trying to reason with those who clearly view truth as their enemy.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 26, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

Hence why that is the exact kind of "innovation" the world can do well without in my honest opinion.

Yeah, I was just hoping to avoid responding with :thejoke:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Well besides that, who's going to trust a news source that's mandated by the government to tell the truth? What do you think the fox idiots are going to say besides, "THEY'RE ONLY SAYING THAT BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO :byodood:" Most of the reason they're watch fox in the first place is because they agree with it 100%, and forcing fox to stop talking poo poo isn't going to change their minds.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh, is the message that women inherently want to take care of babies and can't help themselves even if a man volunteers to do it, leaving him to think there's no work involved?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, is the message that women inherently want to take care of babies and can't help themselves even if a man volunteers to do it, leaving him to think there's no work involved?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I mean I assumed not but maybe I'm missing some context on why their wives (?) are acting that way.

• Locked thread