Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
These are all good points. He also says everyone should move to costa rica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I will say I like the appeal of smacking somebody's teeth out with gold bars rather than a sackload of dollars.

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

jonathan posted:

These are all good points. He also says everyone should move to costa rica.
Why Costa Rica?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Manic Technophile posted:

Why Costa Rica?

Less taxes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EorayMel posted:

I will say I like the appeal of smacking somebody's teeth out with gold bars rather than a sackload of dollars.

I think an iron brick is probably going to be better at that

iron: the new gold?!?!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Costa Rica or Panama are where I'm planning on retiring. Just need to learn Spanish and I'm good!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Costa Rica or Panama are where I'm planning on retiring. Just need to learn Spanish and I'm good!

Spanish is just loud slow English, yes?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

This was Ross ulbrichts plan

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

yeah if the USD hyperinflates into worthlessness then i'm going to get eaten by some prepper maniac. who cares if i have gold bars or bitcoins
bulletcoin is the one true currency whether or not everyone knows it

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Uranium 235 posted:

yeah if the USD hyperinflates into worthlessness then i'm going to get eaten by some prepper maniac. who cares if i have gold bars or bitcoins

Number of times USD has inflated out of usefulness: 0.
Number of times Gold has been dropped as a standard of monetary value: several

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

what are you trying to say

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Let's put America back on the BTC standard.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

what are you trying to say

he's saying to buy bitcoin buy Buy BUY

MORTGAGE YOUR HOUSE AND GO ALL IN

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

he's saying to buy bitcoin buy Buy BUY

MORTGAGE YOUR HOUSE AND GO ALL IN
hm ar eyou sure that sounds risky

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Drone_Fragger posted:

I'm not disagreeing with it being idiotic to buy gold bars. But the USD has been hosed out of usefulness, but because of it's prevalence, instead of being inflated out, really weird poo poo has happened. The USD went to the gold standard real late, made it through WW2, world being so hosed the Bretton Woods system occurred, where most the world pegged their money to the USD, and the USD was pegged to gold... until the US gov't lied about it to pay for Vietnam and the French called the US out on it. Nice bit of instability and things eventually worked out, but it was a huge failure and the USD lost tons of cred worldwide. It's a fair bit more complex than that still, but USD definitely got inflated out and had a rugged recovery period.

Gold, like Bitcoins, like USDs, all have no intrinsic value. Buying gold is no different than buying any other currency, but if you're reading this thread for investing tips, here is the best one:

DO NOT BUY LITERAL PHYSICAL GOLD WHAT IN THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU IF YOU'RE EVEN CONSIDERING BUYING INTO GOLD BARS. THIS WILL NEVER EVER PAY OFF, PLEASE TALK TO SOME PROFESSIONALS ABOUT YOUR MONEY BECAUSE YOU'RE STUPID ENOUGH TO BE CONSIDERING BUYING LITERAL GOLD BARS. No idea how you have money to invest if you're that bad with money to begin with

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Let's put America back on the BTC standard.

lol

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gold is a hedge against inflation

E: if bitcoin goes bust , you have a long math problem. If the dollar is devalued and you bought gold, you can trade in your gold for more money than you bought it for

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

killmeimmafailure posted:

E: if bitcoin goes bust , you have a long math problem. If the dollar is devalued and you bought gold, you can trade in your gold for more money than you bought it for

bitcoin is worth as much as gold

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

bitcoin is worth as much as gold

Right now. Son, you ever hear of the dot com boom? Where were you when Enron collapsed?

I’m not a gold bug, but lots of people are. Gold is used in computer and high tech manufacturing. It’s shiny, bitches love shiny things.

Bitcoins are semileagal penny stocks. Don’t be surprised when people get hit with lawsuits

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I’m not a gold bug, but lots of people are. Gold is used in computer and high tech manufacturing. It’s shiny, bitches love shiny things.

Bitcoins are semileagal penny stocks. Don’t be surprised when people get hit with lawsuits

E: how do you guys report capital gains to the irs?

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

DO NOT BUY LITERAL PHYSICAL GOLD WHAT IN THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU IF YOU'RE EVEN CONSIDERING BUYING INTO GOLD BARS. THIS WILL NEVER EVER PAY OFF, PLEASE TALK TO SOME PROFESSIONALS ABOUT YOUR MONEY BECAUSE YOU'RE STUPID ENOUGH TO BE CONSIDERING BUYING LITERAL GOLD BARS. No idea how you have money to invest if you're that bad with money to begin with
I know a guy with maybe ~$20 million that buys gold bars all the time, in order to hide his assets from his 4th wife (whom he'll almost definitely end up getting divorced from).

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

killmeimmafailure posted:

Stocks are a better hedge against inflation long term.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
With all this interest in gold bars I'm going to invest into gold bar molds.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Inept posted:

bitcoin!

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inept posted:

Oh no doubt. I’m just explaining levels of hierarchical stupidity.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

My thoughts are that gold is still gold. It's fairly rare and will always be valuable as it has uses in jewelry and industry/electronics. It's not an investment but more of a failsafe. Maybe I'm an idiot and just don't know economics that we'll, but I do have a lot of money I'd like to keep. If you Americans gently caress your dollar up, my Canadian monopoly money is chasing it down the hole.

Edit: I got triggered because you don't need to be an investor to have money. Some of us earn it with hard work and lucky career choices.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 26, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

hm ar eyou sure that sounds risky

Don't worry I have thoroughly studied the risks, you can trust me ;)

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lupin posted:

I know a guy with maybe ~$20 million that buys gold bars all the time, in order to hide his assets from his 4th wife (whom he'll almost definitely end up getting divorced from).

He probably isn't checking SA for tips either, asset hiding is a whole nother world from investing.

All that gold poo poo said, gold does have a -.6R from bitcoin, it's an interesting thing to note, haven't' been able to determine exactly why.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

jonathan posted:

My thoughts are that gold is still gold. It's fairly rare and will always be valuable as it has uses in jewelry and industry/electronics. It's not an investment but more of a failsafe. Maybe I'm an idiot and just don't know economics that we'll, but I do have a lot of money I'd like to keep. If you Americans gently caress your dollar up, my Canadian monopoly money is chasing it down the hole.

Edit: I got triggered because you don't need to be an investor to have money. Some of us earn it with hard work and lucky career choices.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. You can have money for a lot of reasons. But anyone looking at gold and bitcoins as investments should not be investing. Gold has no value. None. Jewelry/electronics/etc is just man putting value into it. The value in electronics is crazy small to the prices it trades at.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
The value of a computer= cost of the compenants (raw materials)+ labor used (wages, which are high b/c the work takes expertise)+ capital expenditures (office, place to work, machines to make computers , etc). Economic profit is zero because it takes into account wages and dividends paid to ceos and stockowners. Large firms also take into account economics of scale (ie buying in bulk is cheaper than buying one at a time)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

jonathan posted:

My thoughts are that gold is still gold. It's fairly rare and will always be valuable

This is a big assumption. While it may always have some value to someone, it could easily drop 50% or more in value. People holding gold aren't doing so because of its practical uses, there are rarer and more useful elements out there such as iridium and palladium that are cheaper than gold. Gold currently has value because people think it has value, same as bitcoin.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I’ve changed my mind. Please, do what your heart tells you

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't wait until we really can turn lead into gold but it takes 0.13% of all the world's electricity to do it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

CassandraZara posted:

Can't wait until we really can turn lead into gold but it takes 0.13% of all the world's electricity to do it.

It won't be long until it costs 31%

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

CassandraZara posted:

I'm pretty sure if you fire enough neutrons at lead you could turn it to gold. The energy used would be more than just buying gold. In that sense that sort of alchemy is just like bitcoin.

A better option would be to turn gold into lead, it'd be much easier. That's also like bitcoin by turning gaming hardware into scrap.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

He probably isn't checking SA for tips either, asset hiding is a whole nother world from investing.

All that gold poo poo said, gold does have a -.6R from bitcoin, it's an interesting thing to note, haven't' been able to determine exactly why.
that just means they have no correlation, right? i would think that the R value has changed over time and wouldn't be surprised if there have been periods where there was a larger degree of correlation, but right now it makes sense. even if you assume that people want bitcoin and gold for the same reasons (there's definitely some overlap but a lot of bitcoin bugs are not gold bugs), bitcoin is relatively new and the rate of adoption is rapidly increasing. gold is an established market with a long history of price discovery. bitcoin is in a crazy bull frenzy while gold is just doing its thing as usual

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah it's up to 8800 holy gently caress. There will be divorces caused by Bitcoin.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lupin posted:

IRS whistleblowers get a % of the recovered tax monies just fyi.

Don't buy gold.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Lupin posted:

That's one hell of an attempt to dodge alimony. Unless he's finding wealthy private sellers he'd likely have to go through a vendor/store. Certain bullion is instantly reportable, and any kind of fun in precious metals gets you slapped with an IRS 8300 pretty quickly. Leads to a pretty big paper trail to avoid money laundering etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Manic Technophile posted:

Yeah it's up to 8800 holy gently caress. There will be divorces caused by Bitcoin.

about to be over 9000 any minute now

vegeta.png